Feeling bummed- I ate chips

Options
I have lost nearly 9 pounds in the past 3 weeks and I don't know why but I ate probably 20-25 ruffles today. I hope this does not set me back. It happened and I need to continue to push forward. Anyone else slip up and found it didn't really affect any of your past progress?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Log it and continue with your day. I'm sure it won't put you that much over for the day, if at all.

Also, remember that it's okay to have a treat once in a while. If you want chips, work them into your calories/macros and enjoy them!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on what you're doing. Chips wouldn't be a slip-up for me unless I ate the entire bag and went over my calorie goal. If I ate 25, I'd log them and carry on with my day.
  • JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Depending on the type, 25 chips would only be about a serving or two, no more than three hundred calories. That's not going to hurt you in long run, or the short term. Punishing yourself for eating something like chips or candy just makes it harder for you to enjoy your lifestyle changes, though.
  • mickiebabs
    mickiebabs Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Log them and carry on. If you need to, add a little exercise to make up the extra calories. Part of this journey, to be successful anyways, isn't learning to avoid things until the weight comes off but learning how to still eat the things you like and still loose or maintain your weight. Otherwise you'll be right back here in a year or two complaining that you've gained all the weight back. And yes, I'm talking from experience. This time around, I'm doing it the right way. I've lost 16 pounds since the beginning of July. I still eat my favorite foods. I still eat pizza and chinese and home made potato and dumpling soup. Even had Cracker Barrel the other day. All my favorites. I am just learning how to do it in a way that fits in my nutritional goals. Smaller portions, scrutinizing the nutritional information to find better options, adding extra exercise if I need to cover some overage.

Don't beat yourself up over a few chips. Learn from it, log it, and move on.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    You cannot successfully diet and restrict yourself. It just wont' work. It is ok to have some goodies, as long as you're careful with them, and for you to only have 20 or so, means you were careful.
    You're good and it won't set you back.
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on eating some bean and rice chips tonight :) Gots the calories to do so.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,272 Member
    Options
    I had chips today too. Only I planned for them like I do quite often.

Are you cutting out the foods you love? If so, why? That is what leads to things like this.
  • matthawthorneisamyth
    matthawthorneisamyth Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I feel like a lot of people on this site could benefit from the 80/20 rule. Here it is:

80% of the time do the right thing.
    20% of the time is a buffer to make mistakes

Don't let the balance skew in the opposite direction and forgive yourself for slip-ups. Progress not perfection. One bad day, one bad meal, one bad week, does not a loss of progress make. Get back on the horse. Don't let your guilt turn a cheat meal into a cheat day.
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I feel like a lot of people on this site could benefit from the 80/20 rule. Here it is:

Don't let the balance skew in the opposite direction and forgive yourself for slip-ups. Progress not perfection. One bad day, one bad meal, one bad week, does not a loss of progress make. Get back on the horse. Don't let your guilt turn a cheat meal into a cheat day.

I like it.^
  • mhlew
    mhlew Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I had chips today too. Only I planned for them like I do quite often.

Are you cutting out the foods you love? If so, why? That is what leads to things like this.

For the most part ya. Like pizza, haha. What has helped me big time are my meal replacement shakes (gnc lean shake 25) I basically use it in replacement of what could potentially be a bad choice. An example being at work we have the food truck show up at 745am and the old me would get a big greasy breakfast burrito and the new me drinks a replacement shake. I figure if I cut out bad foods that I used to enjoy I eventually won't miss them. I've learned I can have healthy food that tastes delicious.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It's like 200 calories, log um in and move on! There is nothing wrong with chips, I have them all the time.
  • mhlew
    mhlew Posts: 377 Member
    Options

Great advice. I will take it, thanks.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I ate chips today too. I weighed 2 servings and kind of fit them in my day.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    You ate the chips, figure the serving, log it and move on. You can't live your life, for the rest of your life without your favorite things. Don't think off it as a diet that restricts foods. Think of it as a lifestyle that allows these things planned and in moderation.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    20 - 25 ruffles?

You're taking this way too seriously.
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I have lost nearly 9 pounds in the past 3 weeks and I don't know why but I ate probably 20-25 ruffles today. I hope this does not set me back. It happened and I need to continue to push forward. Anyone else slip up and found it didn't really affect any of your past progress?

Today I had french fries with blue cheese chunks, a lobster and shrimp salad w/blue cheese dressing and I washed it down with and Irish coffee with whipped cream.after that, I grabbed a bag of movie theatre popcorn for good measure...I NEVER eat any of this stuff...but I did it happily, it was MY choice. I train hard, I eat as closest to my macros/cals 90% of the time, and having an indulgent day gives me NO regrets...I CHOSE to do it...

Guilt does nothing...just move on...you ate them, and it's sad you're having such negative feelings about it because feelings don't SOLVE your problem (which I find isn't one to begin with). Continue working out, logging your foods, staying positive, GETTING YOUR SLEEP and stop allowing guilt, and negative feelings run this. You're FINE> ONWARD.
  • nicailyzee
    nicailyzee Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I have chips to. I have children so I buy the individual size snack bags and I eat some or all. I also have candy and pizza and anything I like within moderate amounts and I have lost weight. You have to live for a long time eating properly so treat yourself you deserve it! 80/20 rule sounds brilliant!
  • Adaniel65
    Adaniel65 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    You can have chips... just try to fit them in your calories for the day. If they don't fit today don't freak... it's one and done right?

I don't ban anything from my daily diet - I have what I want just less of it and not all the time... and I make sure it fits in my calories for the day. You'll be okay!
  • jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    lol I ate like half a bag of chips today.

One or two servings or even a whole bag isn't going to make you instantly gain weight.
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 100 lbs eating pizza, ice cream, brownies, cookies and "junk"

make it fit your goals, moderation is key.
    don't take yourself too seriously. far too often I see people lose their **** because they went a few calories over their limit or they had a donut or something.
    above all, enjoy your life. that's the reason we're losing weight in the first place isn't it? if you want some chips, eat the damn chips.