Ice Bucket Challenge, Ribbons, Wrist Bands, etc....

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I think it's funny how the ones who are complaining about the challenge are the ones who don't have a loved one with the disease. Ask anyone who is living with or has a loved one with the disease and they are absolutely thrilled that this challenge is raising awareness for a disease not many people know about.
    Until last year, I didn't personally know anyone who had it. Now a high school acquaintance has received a diagnosis. But I always knew what the disease was and I have empathy/sympathy for those who have it (even if I don't know them). I imagine it feels a lot like being buried alive.Terrifying and horrible.

Of all the illnesses I could possibly contract, this one scares me most.
  • xixshaiyaxix
    xixshaiyaxix Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    this country is so stupid, we like to make everything a trend or fad. -.-"
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options

I don't know where you are but here in Atlanta there are several international flights every few hours. Feel free to be on one of them if you don't like the country you live in.

Oh and FYI, everything throughout the history of the world has been a trend or fad.....see for example mom jeans or mom shorts.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I prefer to donate quietly

Does your $100 donation somehow do more for something than someone else's because you did it quietly?

Nah I didn't mean that.

Honestly I do understand the hype surrounding some of these big events because that they raise a lot of money, which is great. But I stand by my comment about the people donning colorful t-shirts & wristbands often just doing it for show or because someone in their workplace suggested they do a walk...I've known so many people like that, who really had no interest in raising funds but saw it as a social thing and a way to have some photos on social media to show how they're so charitable and a real "activist"...that's the kind of attitude I'm shunning and trying to relate with OP on that level.

When I said "donate quietly" I just meant...for example if someone I know well is doing a walk/run/fundraiser, I would rather just give them a cash donation directly or do an anonymous donation to their team online. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth to brag about how much I donated (which isn't a ton, granted) although I DO see the flip side of telling others which causes you support and possibly gaining more supporters that way. It's just not my style. Same with volunteer work...I would rather do something that seems not so glamorous or fun but benefits people in some way, every single week/month, than go once a year to a charity gala to get a photo in the regional magazine proving to my business network how much I support X, Y, or Z.

My friend has a foundation and she sells wrist bands, bandanas, bumper stickers and T-shirts to raise money. She can buy everything but the T-shirts for about $1 and sell them for $5. That's a 500% profit for her foundation, which is very small, all volunteer and all money raised goes toward helping break cycles of dysfunction in families. So, I don't think she cares why people buy and wear those things, only that they do.

Most of the people I have seen post videos have not said how much they are donating, so in what way are they bragging?

While I have been aware of ALS for as long as I can remember and know plenty about it, it isn't a cause that has been at the forefront of my mind. Now I know how underfunded research has been, and despite that, I know the kinds of breakthroughs have been made. Imagine what they can do with more money, which this campaign has brought them in droves.

And if you have a breakthrough for one neurological disorder, you can use it to help people with other neurological disorders, so not only ALS benefits from this.

Quit trying to make people doing a good thing feel bad about it just because it isn't how you would do it.

The whole point of this thread was the OP asking if others have felt emotionally hijacked by these fundraisers and awareness efforts. And the answer, despite many comments to the contrary, is yes. SOME people share OP's feelings.

I'm not here to debate the validity of charity organizations or profitability of fundraisers or "try to make people feel bad".
    I don't think every person wearing their arm band and t-shirt to support (insert disease here) has their heart in the wrong place. Some do, some don't. Whatever.

I'm here to share my *feelings* on this topic with the OP. And I know that for some people all of the very public stuff makes them feel (in the words of OP) emotionally hijacked. There are guys out there who lose their mom to breast cancer and have pink ribbon decals all over their cars and tattooed on their bodies. Does that mean they loved their moms more than my husband loved his? No. But we're told many times that "this is what grief and healing looks like"...people running in pink t-shirts to raise awareness. It doesn't look the same for everyone.

I'm done with this because I'm really not interested in debating or arguing, when it comes to peoples' feelings there's no point driving home the statistics of a successful awareness campaign. I was just trying very hard to share an unpopular point of view.

So you're donating money that's great and the charity/cause probably needs your money to continue to do research and help people with the illness/hardship. However, what are you doing to help raise awareness? Were you asked to organize a run or a party or whatever? So why not throw on the cheesy t-shirt, maybe even run the 5K or whatever if you're physically capable and there you go. The donation is great and so is the part about raising awareness. You can do both or you can do either.

Exactly - the reason why races provide t-shirts rather than socks or headbands is because the t-shirt does a better job at raising awareness of the race and the cause.

The race director is HOPING that you will provide free advertising of their race.

The organization is HOPING that you will raise awareness of their cause.

Being secretive about it diminishes your potential impact for them. The people who are flaunting their t-shirts and wristbands are, in fact, helping out. That's the whole point of the t-shirts and wristbands.

And, to answer the question, "Does the guy whose car is covered in stickers feel more sadness?", I ask this question:
    "Is this some sort of competition?"

Yes, a good way to grieve is to get active and make a difference. There have been multiple studies showing the long-term benefits of this. That fact doesn't invalidate other stages and forms of grief. Just because something is a great thing to do, doesn't diminish the good of other actions.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I think it's funny how the ones who are complaining about the challenge are the ones who don't have a loved one with the disease. Ask anyone who is living with or has a loved one with the disease and they are absolutely thrilled that this challenge is raising awareness for a disease not many people know about.
    Until last year, I didn't personally know anyone who had it. Now a high school acquaintance has received a diagnosis. But I always knew what the disease was and I have empathy/sympathy for those who have it (even if I don't know them). I imagine it feels a lot like being buried alive.Terrifying and horrible.

That and Parkinson's. My dad has Parkinson's and it's another horrible disease.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options

Wait, what? No.

This is not about making something into a "fad."

It's about shedding much-deserved light on a disease that is so horrifying and crippling, it's the stuff of nightmares. Maybe try putting yourself in their shoes or DOING SOMETHING ABOUT IT instead of just complaining that it's "too trendy."
  • rml_16
    Options

That and Parkinson's. My dad has Parkinson's and it's another horrible disease.
    It's the being trapped inside your own head that scares me -- not being able to communicate at all. You're paralyzed completely, but still mentally aware and whole. I can't even imagine.
  • kbeckley11
    kbeckley11 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    My mom died of breast cancer, after 6.5 years of fighting it. 5 months later, my father in law died of pancreatic cancer, after 1 month of fighting it. I think about them everyday, multiple times a day. When I have a cooking question, I think, "I wish I could call my mom and ask her this" Actually, that's not true, I think "I will call mom and ask her, oh wait, I can't" When I have a question about a repair needing done in my house, think about my father in law. Birds- I think about my father in law. MIckey Mouse- I think about my mom (and my daughter loves Mickey Mouse, so that is quite often)

My point is, I think about them all the time, for the most trivial reasons, and sometimes it makes me sad.

When I see a commercial about a fundraiser for cancer research, it doesn't make me any more sad than the million other things that remind me of them every day. In fact, usually it makes me hope that someday people won't have to die the painful death that I watched them both endure.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    If you're going to donate to a cause, just do it... You don't have to do some silly challenge. A true act of kindness is one where someone doesn't seek recognition.

I'm not sure you "get it" my man. It's not about the challenge, it's about a fun way to raise awareness.

Totally understand that, sir. I clarified what my mindset was in my second post. Knowing now how much money this thing has raised for ALS, I have absolutely no qualms with it. I did not know the impact it was having on donations because I hadn't seen much about it until it flooded facebook and other social media.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    If you're going to donate to a cause, just do it... You don't have to do some silly challenge. A true act of kindness is one where someone doesn't seek recognition.

I'm not sure you "get it" my man. It's not about the challenge, it's about a fun way to raise awareness.

Totally understand that, sir. I clarified what my mindset was in my second post. Knowing now how much money this thing has raised for ALS, I have absolutely no qualms with it. I did not know the impact it was having on donations because I hadn't seen much about it until it flooded facebook and other social media.

Also, to add to my above comment: My ignorance of the situation got the best of me and I apologized for it.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Wait, do people not realize that when you dump water on yourself, you also donate? Accepting the challenge means you do the water thing AND GIVE MONEY.
  • SkepticalOwl
    SkepticalOwl Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I think this ice bucket challenge is really stupid...if they really want to make it a challenge, then do it in the winter, not the summer. That's hardly a challenge.

Its not really a challenge...it is something to bring ATTENTION to a disease that has forever been hidden behind the scenes. It is about more than the ice water....fact is we are talking about it. ALS has never been talked about...the public has NO IDEA what ALS means or how devistating it is to the people who have it.

It may be silly to watch a bunch of people pouring water over themselves...but for the first time EVER, ALS is in the forefront of the news and media...and people are learning about it.

And that is a good thing.

The question I have about awareness is, are people actually more aware of what ALS is or what it means to be diagnosed with it, or are they just aware that there are a bunch of people dumping ice water over their heads in the name of something called ALS?

I don't know much about the foundation this campaign is raising funds for, but the quality of the organizations that promote these sorts of things varies. Some are very good about educating people, raising money for research or to support patients and their families, and some are more about perpetuating their administrative budgets. I hope that before anyone jumps on a bandwagon like this they check out the organization they are supporting.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I think this ice bucket challenge is really stupid...if they really want to make it a challenge, then do it in the winter, not the summer. That's hardly a challenge.

Its not really a challenge...it is something to bring ATTENTION to a disease that has forever been hidden behind the scenes. It is about more than the ice water....fact is we are talking about it. ALS has never been talked about...the public has NO IDEA what ALS means or how devistating it is to the people who have it.

It may be silly to watch a bunch of people pouring water over themselves...but for the first time EVER, ALS is in the forefront of the news and media...and people are learning about it.

The question I have about awareness is, are people actually more aware of what ALS is or what it means to be diagnosed with it, or are they just aware that there are a bunch of people dumping ice water over their heads in the name of something called ALS?

I don't know much about the foundation this campaign is raising funds for, but the quality of the organizations that promote these sorts of things varies. Some are very good about educating people, raising money for research or to support patients and their families, and some are more about perpetuating their administrative budgets. I hope that before anyone jumps on a bandwagon like this they check out the organization they are supporting.

Why does it matter? The challenge isn't to dump water on your head then come up with a feasible solution/cure for ALS. The challenge is to dump water on your head, post to social media and donate money. They take that money and give it to the super intelligent nerdy scientists who have dedicated their life to finding a cure. I don't need to know exactly how ALS works, all I need to know is that is a disease that humans are suffering from and they are looking for either a cure or preventative measures. Either donate the money or don't, they don't need your scientific input only your monetary input.
  • rml_16
    Options

Why does it matter? The challenge isn't to dump water on your head then come up with a feasible solution/cure for ALS. The challenge is to dump water on your head, post to social media and donate money. They take that money and give it to the super intelligent nerdy scientists who have dedicated their life to finding a cure. I don't need to know exactly how ALS works, all I need to know is that is a disease that humans are suffering from and they are looking for either a cure or preventative measures. Either donate the money or don't, they don't need your scientific input only your monetary input.
    I have read (but not verified, so don't assume this is gospel) that 80 cents of every dollar goes to research.

You can look over the association's website: http://www.alsa.org/
  • history_grrrl
    history_grrrl Posts: 216 Member
    Options

This is a really important point, and it's part of the reason why some of us find things like the pink ribbon campaign so problematic (to the person who recommended the documentary Pink Ribbons, Inc., thank you!). I also have trouble with this campaign, and I think it's because I'm political. I think many people, especially Americans (and yes, I am one), are quick to jump on the bandwagon of supporting a totally apolitical "cause" (like a medical condition -- although that can have political implications too, when there's very little attention to research on diseases that primarily affect groups that are discriminated against, for example). But they wouldn't consider sending aid to people living in Gaza, or even Detroit (where people have had their water cut off -- and yeah, I imagine some struggling Detroiters aren't too impressed with the ice-bucket challenge).

I don't mean to sound preachy; I'm aware this is my perspective and most people posting here don't share it. I just wish more people had a broader focus and maybe a broader understanding of what "helping people" or "supporting a cause" means.

Before anyone launches an attack, I happen to have a medical condition that has a national association connected to it (which raises money for research and is probably wishing it had come up with something like this). And for what it's worth, my father died of ALS. My family was estranged from him when it was happening, but I know plenty about how horrific it is.
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10203666426919984&fref=nf

Hope this link works for the video. Everyone has their opinions and are entitled to them, for me seeing this video concerning the ice bucket challenge and what it means to them makes me appreciate the challenge even more.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Whatever. Fund raising isn't easy and if you can make it fun then donations go up. Be cynical all you want but it works. That's what matters to results oriented people.
  • carinthea
    carinthea Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I can attest to fundraising not being an easy thing, I work for a charity trying to put together ways to 'encourage' people to donate. We are a worthy cause, but there are so many of them.

Speaking of the ALS challenge, how do people feel about other charities 'hijacking' the tag on social media and using it for their own charity campaigns? That is currently what is happening with this particular campaign.

Edited: due to stray '?'
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    If you're 'sick' of it and you're talking about it, then it's working. It's all about increasing awareness. The people know, the more they can help.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Amazing what people take the time to ***** about. If you don't like it, then don't participate. No need to tear down the people who do. :indifferent: