Why can't am i getting worse at running

Options
it seems like it only gets harder each day and i usually get tired after one mile but these days I'm dead by .5 miles…

i have a balanced diet and i do get enough sleep.

i also run 2 miles in the morning 1 mile at night

Replies

• Burt_Huttz
    Burt_Huttz Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    it seems like it only gets harder each day and i usually get tired after one mile but these days I'm dead by .5 miles…

i have a balanced diet and i do get enough sleep.

i also run 2 miles in the morning 1 mile at night

Maybe it's because you're overtraining . . . if you can't run one mile well, the solution is not to run three miles a day.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Too much running. Run every other day, once.
  • AdventureFreak
    AdventureFreak Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Do some running drills instead of running at times. high knees, but kicks, skipping, frog jumps, and more you can find on youtube. drill one day and run the next. The drills will make your stride stronger and help you stay active but mix it up and challenge your muscles to get better at running.
  • kevin9xo
    kevin9xo Posts: 25
    Options
    I've been running 3 miles straight for the past 2 weeks but now i moved and i split up the 3 miles to different parts of the day
  • djbrink21
    djbrink21 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I suspect too much running is the cause as well. But can't say for sure without more info.

How many months have you been running?

What's your average miles per week?

What was your progression up to that average per week?

If you can't run a mile then running 3 miles a day won't make it better. You'd probably be better off starting with C25K or some other run/walk program to help build up your endurance to 3 miles a day. Also running more than once a day is too much and you have to have rest days so your body and recover and get stronger.
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Do you eat a pre- and/or post- run snack? Sometimes when your diet is really good, it doesn't hurt to have a carb-based snack about 30-45 minutes before you run, or whatever is comfortable for you. Think Banana & Peanut butter, a few whole grain crackers and peanut butter, that sort of thing.

After a run, water of course. I found a recipe earlier this year that was Orange Juice, Mixed with Perrier or San Pellegrino (bubbly water) and a squeeze of lime was a great post-run pick me up. I've also been known to just eat my lunch after I run (I'm a mid-day runner). Search for articles on Runners World for more ideas.
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's because you're overtraining . . . if you can't run one mile well, the solution is not to run three miles a day.
    [/quote]

Exactly!
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I've been running 3 miles straight for the past 2 weeks but now i moved and i split up the 3 miles to different parts of the day
    I still say over-training is the culprit. Your body is tired, and it's telling you so. Run every other day, one time.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Why bother with the low mileage twice a day? You're not getting out of it what you could if you ran once for longer. Not sure of your background, but with this method, I'm going to assume you're new to this and will say slow down, take more rest/recovery days, and quit with the bits and pieces running.
  • kevin9xo
    Options
    I suspect too much running is the cause as well. But can't say for sure without more info.

If you can't run a mile then running 3 miles a day won't make it better. You'd probably be better off starting with C25K or some other run/walk program to help build up your endurance to 3 miles a day. Also running more than once a day is too much and you have to have rest days so your body and recover and get stronger.

I've been running for 4 years on n off again (CC and track) and to stay fit for the summer I've been running 2 miles a day but moved up to 3. my mile time has gotten a minute faster but i still understand why I'm not building endurance cause i wanna run more miles :( i can't believe last year i did the LA marathon and now i can't even run 3 miles
  • djbrink21
    Options

What were you doing before that?

If you started running 2 weeks ago at 3 miles per run everyday (or even every other day) then you started with too much mileage. Your body has hit a wall and you need to back off and listen to your body.
  • kevin9xo
    Options

Why bother with the low mileage twice a day? You're not getting out of it what you could if you ran once for longer. Not sure of your background, but with this method, I'm going to assume you're new to this and will say slow down, take more rest/recovery days, and quit with the bits and pieces running.

i split it up because i for the 1 mile i do HIIT but thats like twice a week and it fit my schedule better
  • kevin9xo
    Options
    Do you eat a pre- and/or post- run snack? Sometimes when your diet is really good, it doesn't hurt to have a carb-based snack about 30-45 minutes before you run, or whatever is comfortable for you. Think Banana & Peanut butter, a few whole grain crackers and peanut butter, that sort of thing.

After a run, water of course. I found a recipe earlier this year that was Orange Juice, Mixed with Perrier or San Pellegrino (bubbly water) and a squeeze of lime was a great post-run pick me up. I've also been known to just eat my lunch after I run (I'm a mid-day runner). Search for articles on Runners World for more ideas.

i drink half a bottle of water and sometimes pre-workout if I'm tired and i usually eat something light after wards like cereal or snacks
  • djbrink21
    Options

I've been running for 4 years on n off again (CC and track) and to stay fit for the summer I've been running 2 miles a day but moved up to 3. my mile time has gotten a minute faster but i still understand why I'm not building endurance cause i wanna run more miles :( i can't believe last year i did the LA marathon and now i can't even run 3 miles

Huh. Ok so not a new runner as I assumed. Either way I'd just try to slow down take it back to 2.5 miles a day and see how that goes for a week. Also I wouldn't focus on time and distance at the same time. As distance increases your time per mile is likely to increase as a result of the longer total distance forcing you to take each mile a little slower. So while getting faster is nice. I don't like to do both, personally.
  • kevin9xo
    Options
    i was running 2 miles half a month and i amped it up to 3 miles because 2 miles was fairly easy and now i just moved to another state and split up my 3 miles cause it fits better for my schedule
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

i split it up because i for the 1 mile i do HIIT but thats like twice a week and it fit my schedule better

You can't cannibalize your aerobic base-building and expect results...
  • kevin9xo
    Options

so how do i increase my distance to 4 miles
  • Burt_Huttz
    Burt_Huttz Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options

You just claimed to have run a marathon. Why are you asking how to run 4 miles?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

^^^ What he said
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    Options

I was truly going to try to offer something constructive but, this ^^.