Why can't am i getting worse at running

Options

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    well, not sure I am qualified to give advice on this one but I'll throw it out there and you can decide what to do with it
    1, Have you considered going back to square one and just starting over with C25k or something?
    2. If you cant maintain your pace for the distance you want then you need to slow down
    3. If that causes you to get bored then try a different environment, hit the trails they give you more to think about, get some good tunes, or play mind games (someone suggested to count things as you go one time and that can be a good distraction)
    4. If you prefer HIIT work then forget distance running and take up crossfit or something, nothing out there says you have to run
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    just finished running and i went slower and was able to get to 3 miles but it was really boring

If 3 miles were boring I'm wondering why you are running at all. Seriously, if all you want is get in shape there is other ways to do it. Find something you actually like. Working out shouldn't be a burden.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Slow down in order to speed up.... Seriously.

Cut back on the pace and you will be able to run further and faster in the future. Nothing worth having comes for free - you need to put the work in to build a good fitness base and then build on it.

Remember - running NEVER gets any easier you just go further and faster. An ultra-marathoner hurts just like your do now.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    He's probably used to running with a team/group of people. My husband ran XC & track for 10 years. In college he was running 80-100 miles a week. However, as soon as he graduated and got into the "real world", running even a few miles alone became "boring", "too much work", "hard", etc. Even if he runs with me, he says it's boring because I only say a few words/hate talking when I run. It's honestly the weirdest thing I've ever witness, he and all his running friends will NOT stop talking the entire run. Normally they say a few words to each other & are very quite people. It's weird to hear the things and how much they talk when they are running.

People who ran XC & track at a young age are hard wired to just be SUPER competitive. They basically feed off other teammates energy at practice. This guy Probably recently turned 18, graduated, no longer runs with his "team" and is therefore in a slump.

I don't doubt that he ran a marathon at all. His inability to complete a 4 mile run stems more from his lack of experience running alone.

Do you have any run clubs in the area? Do you know of any high schools or maybe your old high school looking for any voulenteer coaches? I think you are a perfect example of someone who needs to run with other people. Likely, that is why you are getting "bored".
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're an experienced runner who is having issues with endurance when they never existed before. I'd suggest seeing your doctor to make sure this isn't a symptom of something more serious.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    He's probably used to running with a team/group of people. My husband ran XC & track for 10 years. In college he was running 80-100 miles a week. However, as soon as he graduated and got into the "real world", running even a few miles alone became "boring", "too much work", "hard", etc. Even if he runs with me, he says it's boring because I only say a few words/hate talking when I run. It's honestly the weirdest thing I've ever witness, he and all his running friends will NOT stop talking the entire run. Normally they say a few words to each other & are very quite people. It's weird to hear the things and how much they talk when they are running.

People who ran XC & track at a young age are hard wired to just be SUPER competitive. They basically feed off other teammates energy at practice. This guy Probably recently turned 18, graduated, no longer runs with his "team" and is therefore in a slump.

I don't doubt that he ran a marathon at all. His inability to complete a 4 mile run stems more from his lack of experience running alone.

Do you have any run clubs in the area? Do you know of any high schools or maybe your old high school looking for any voulenteer coaches? I think you are a perfect example of someone who needs to run with other people. Likely, that is why you are getting "bored".

Interesting take that hadn't occurred to me. Well said.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options

agreed, we all know running is such a psycological sport, kudos for thinking outside the box!
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options

Agreed. Great advice!
  • kevin9xo
    kevin9xo Posts: 25
    Options

wish you were the first one to post on this thread
  • kevin9xo
    Options
    just finished running and i went slower and was able to get to 3 miles but it was really boring

Maybe running isn't for you. Maybe consider geocaching, knitting, or fishing?

wow if you are gonan be like this i don't get why you're even posting still lol u have nothing to do?

I'm just trying to figure out what you want. You've run a marathon and are now complaining of boredom after 3 miles and an inability to bore yourself for longer distances. Try cycling, I dunno. You sound like you have more experience running than I do, and probably most of the people offering you advice, hence why there's a disconnect here (or you're just a troll).

just thought this thread was dead
  • kevin9xo
    Options

Maybe running isn't for you. Maybe consider geocaching, knitting, or fishing?

wow if you are gonan be like this i don't get why you're even posting still lol u have nothing to do?

What's your goal? I'm assuming you recently graduated & used to run XC & track?? Do you want to be faster at 800 meter?? 1 mile?? 2 miles? 5k?? Run a fast 1/2 or full?

What is it you want here?

i just want to build my endurance up so i can run longer.. i noticed when i run slow i can keep going and my body won't get tired but my head is always telling me to walk but i know my body can keep going?? lol hard to explain
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    i just want to build my endurance up so i can run longer.. i noticed when i run slow i can keep going and my body won't get tired but my head is always telling me to walk but i know my body can keep going?? lol hard to explain

I totally get that feeling. It sounds almost like the problem is primarily mental - like, for whatever reason, your heart just isn't into it.

Because for someone pretty fit, running 5k a day, most days, is nowhere near "overtraining".

Might be worth checking in with your doc, too....just in case.
  • anw120
    anw120 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If you ran a marathon last year but are struggling with 3 miles you might consult a doctor, that just doesn't sound normal. It isn't unheard of to struggle a little for a week or so when getting back into it after a long break but that extreme difference is very concerning. (Also do you have enough meat/protein in your diet?)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Why not just use the same plan that got you to a marathon before? It's already worked for you...
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm going to put aside my initial belief that this couldn't possibly be a real question...

Did you train yourself for the marathon or did you track/xc coach? Or did you just figure you had enough running base from those activities and just decided to run it with no dedicated training?

I'm thinking some posters found it unbelievable because a lot of the people who are responding to you have trained themselves through that distance... perhaps you just don't know how to train yourself after years of coaching?

If that's the case pick a race of some short distance just to set yourself a goal to reach towards--- 8k or 10k, something just beyond your current aim of 4 miles. If you ran a marathon, you know in your head you can run 4 miles... ignore the voice that says you can't. Go google Hal Higdon and look up his 8k or 10k training plans. Pick one that looks good. Follow a program with some structure to it to get you through this slump and back to running. It will help you learn how you should be increasing your miles. It's ok if you go slow, as long as you go.

See how that works for you, if not- like others have mentioned, maybe solo running just isn't for you... find a running club or try something else. Or change up the scenery- if you're on the road, hit some trails.
  • runner359
    runner359 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Kevin
    That's not a lot of running so that's not the problem. You've run much better and further before. This does not sound like a training issue to me. It sounds like a medical issue. I never ever see the doctor. Never until one day my running got so bad I couldn't run 1/2 mile and I'm a long time runner who can go the distance. Don't ask on the forums. Go see a doctor.
  • kevin9xo
    Options

Why not just use the same plan that got you to a marathon before? It's already worked for you...

my coach for the marathon was a spanish teacher who can just run long distances.. she just told us to run x miles on this day x miles on that day and i couldn't even run up to 7 miles consistently and we only went up to 16 miles when she said it was 23.. idk the spanish teacher was really clueless and a lot of people made fun of her. i just did this for college
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

my coach for the marathon was a spanish teacher who can just run long distances.. she just told us to run x miles on this day x miles on that day and i couldn't even run up to 7 miles consistently and we only went up to 16 miles when she said it was 23.. idk the spanish teacher was really clueless and a lot of people made fun of her. i just did this for college

So you were told to go run a distance and you did it up to 16 miles ... but now you can't run four miles?

One other question ... when did 23 miles become the standard for a marathon?
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options

So you were told to go run a distance and you did it up to 16 miles ... but now you can't run four miles?

Obviously has never coached high school XC. No offence, but they are completely clueless. I've helped coach a girl who ran a 5:15 mile as a sophomore in high school. She could only run 15-20 miles a week max.. Out of season she refused to run at all. She hated running. She said it was boring.

However, she really wanted to go to state. So she did what she was told.

He Probably really wanted to run the marathon, so he did what he was told.

His problem is motivation.

By him saying a marathon was 23 miles, also not surprised.

Same said athlete was getting ready for her third 4k race in cross country the following fall. Before the race she actually said, "how far is a 4k anyways? Like 2 miles?" She had no idea. It was insane to me that she didn't know. BUT what you have to remember is they taught to compete against the OTHER athletes, the OTHER teams, the OTHER schools. Most of the kids don't wear a stop watch to race. The only "watch" they have is a stop watch. Most of them don't know any different.

So instead of being rude to the OP with comments such as "since when is a marathon 23 miles" maybe just don't say anything because you clearly don't understand the problem at hand.

OP- like I said before, find a running partner, find a run club, sign up for a road race. You are the type the enjoy the running community & team aspect of running. I don't doubt that you could go run 8 miles right now.
  • kevin9xo
    Options

Obviously has never coached high school XC. No offence, but they are completely clueless. I've helped coach a girl who ran a 5:15 mile as a sophomore in high school. She could only run 15-20 miles a week max.. Out of season she refused to run at all. She hated running. She said it was boring.

However, she really wanted to go to state. So she did what she was told.

He Probably really wanted to run the marathon, so he did what he was told.

His problem is motivation.

By him saying a marathon was 23 miles, also not surprised.

Same said athlete was getting ready for her third 4k race in cross country the following fall. Before the race she actually said, "how far is a 4k anyways? Like 2 miles?" She had no idea. It was insane to me that she didn't know. BUT what you have to remember is they taught to compete against the OTHER athletes, the OTHER teams, the OTHER schools. Most of the kids don't wear a stop watch to race. The only "watch" they have is a stop watch. Most of them don't know any different.

So instead of being rude to the OP with comments such as "since when is a marathon 23 miles" maybe just don't say anything because you clearly don't understand the problem at hand.

OP- like I said before, find a running partner, find a run club, sign up for a road race. You are the type the enjoy the running community & team aspect of running. I don't doubt that you could go run 8 miles right now.

thank you for understanding my situation.. I'm going to try looking for clubs once college starts and to be honest i only did the marathon because i didn't think it would be hard and i wanted to get the jacket they give out to students hehe and also i got a week of non- uniform if i completed it