Calling all MFP "meanies"

Options

Replies

• thesmallestpineapple
    Options
    Forget all the bathroom stuff... most office computer keyboards are much dirtier than anything in the bathroom from people eating/drinking/snacking/sneezing/coughing/sweating at their desks and of course the keyboards don't get cleaned! The vast majority people wouldn't wash their hands before heading to the doughnut table if they're going straight from their desk even if they do after a trip to the bathroom.

In all seriousness... those doughnuts are all kinds of DIRTY!
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Every time I have a donut I think, "Wow that didn't even taste that good and I wasted a ton of calories on it" Just think about all the really good tasting food you could eat instead. I'm pretty sure you can have 1 1/2 cups of your favorite ice cream for the calories in one crappy donut
  • mave34
    mave34 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    This happens at my workplace as well then the people scoffing these donuts down their throat make a point to notice the people who are not and then usually follow up with a little comment. I use my germaphobic tenancies to avoid these situations also the fact that people seem to act like they've never eaten before when the company splurges on some treats for them and I find that kind of behavior rude and immature. It's a 80 cent donut people!!!!! Anyway, don't sweat it and just say no! You're stronger and you care about your health and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. It's your body, not theirs :)
  • steffihoney
    Options
    I know how good that donut tastes, but you can hold out!! I am now 2 days without my usual sugar donut and no sugar in my coffee only vanilla creamer. If I can do it, I know you can!!!
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    "Accidentally" spill something on them (unless they are Hot Krispy Kremes)! You help everyone else too.

NO!
    Someone brings a gift for everyone and just because YOU can't have it, you destroy it for everyone else?

BTW... I don't like Krispy Kremes. GET OFF MY LAWN!
  • flgrace
    flgrace Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I always found that "Food Days" at work are much more about work than food. Years ago, I felt I would hurt someone's feelings or make myself look less like a team player if I didn't eat what was laid out at work. In later years, I stopped hitting the potlucks and donuts days simply because I hated feeling like I -had- to eat, to make someone else feel better. In my last office job, one of the worst ever, I noticed that if you -didn't- bring something to a potluck, but you ate anyway, you were being watched. And talked about, and emailed about. To the point where the HR department was sending out emails. I am serious. I just stopped eating at these potlucks and handouts after that.

Food at work is not about eating, it's about politics. If you are the fat person at work, you are being looked at. You are also being sized up as being a 'team player' or not. Rarely is it just someone bringing in a box of homemade cookies or splurging on donuts.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    If I am going to have a high-calorie treat, I don't want to eat it at WORK in the dark, cluttered, messy BREAK ROOM. I want to eat it when I'm relaxed and sitting somewhere pleasant.

So, maybe leave room for a treat later when you can really enjoy it.

Works for me.
  • Schtroumpfkin
    Schtroumpfkin Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Just think about the donuts sitting in a co-workers house. Now imagine, that house is on an episode of Hoarders.

Hilarious :laugh:
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    All I want now is a donut. I don't even care what you all say about them... if I was in her office right now I would eat the donuts. Possibly more than one. I think it is fair to say this tactic -- tell me all the reasons I shouldn't eat them -- would fail for me. Cuz, seriously, all we've done is say donut in every post for 4 solid pages..... Sadly, I assume that pretty much everything I get from anywhere outside my kitchen has possibly been sneezed on and touched with dirty hands. Let's be real.

Just don't eat the donuts. But, for the love of God, don't "spill" something on them. Holy Hell.

ETA Where the hell are the damn gifs?
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I always found that "Food Days" at work are much more about work than food. Years ago, I felt I would hurt someone's feelings or make myself look less like a team player if I didn't eat what was laid out at work. In later years, I stopped hitting the potlucks and donuts days simply because I hated feeling like I -had- to eat, to make someone else feel better. In my last office job, one of the worst ever, I noticed that if you -didn't- bring something to a potluck, but you ate anyway, you were being watched. And talked about, and emailed about. To the point where the HR department was sending out emails. I am serious. I just stopped eating at these potlucks and handouts after that.

Food at work is not about eating, it's about politics. If you are the fat person at work, you are being looked at. You are also being sized up as being a 'team player' or not. Rarely is it just someone bringing in a box of homemade cookies or splurging on donuts.

You know, there is a lot of truth to this. Where I work is not as bad as the last office you worked at but there is a feeling of obligation to eat at these things. One thing that has been working for me lately is to remind myself that I would not pressure someone else to eat something they said they couldn't have, so why am I pressuring myself, you know? Todays issue is more about "I want it because I shouldn't but everyone else is."
  • akgreen324
    akgreen324 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Remind me why eating the donut (donuts because I won't want to stop at one) would derail the progress I've been making.

You need better willpower.

Yes, admittedly. Being human and of a rebellious spirit I automatically want the thing I'm told I can't have. So far so good.

I'm thoroughly enjoying the replies, though. Thanks all.

Come on now...will power is hard. It takes a lot of time and mental energy+focus to really achieve the mind over matter concept. I don't think one can say...omg just get will power. First of all, as a lot of people said on this thread, we all need things in moderation. Being that you are a diabetic, yes having a doughnut would not be a good choice for you. But if you are really craving some kind of treat, bring something you can have to the office. So when your co-workers are gorging themselves on these doughnuts, you can take out your treat, and feel satisfied! We all deserve a treat once in awhile . As long as you don't have doughnuts for every meal of every day, you will be ok!!!
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    200.gif
  • KimWW
    KimWW Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    All of the imaginings about what has happened to the doughnuts are great, but...

Our school group toured a Krispy Kreme factory/shop a few years ago. We were told that oil changes chemically as it gets used and OLD oil cooks a doughnut better. So, they buy the oil that fast food places have already used, strain it and clean it, THEN use it to cook the doughnuts. So, think ... those doughnuts were cooked in used, not-good-enough-for-McDonalds-anymore french fry grease.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    smosh-dirty-donut-d-o.gif
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    All of the imaginings about what has happened to the doughnuts are great, but...

Our school group toured a Krispy Kreme factory/shop a few years ago. We were told that oil changes chemically as it gets used and OLD oil cooks a doughnut better. So, they buy the oil that fast food places have already used, strain it and clean it, THEN use it to cook the doughnuts. So, think ... those doughnuts were cooked in used, not-good-enough-for-McDonalds-anymore french fry grease.

This reminds me that doughnuts give me heartburn. Now I know why.
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    That donut will not make you feel better. It may give you a chemical high. So will a brisk walk.

We've all bought into the idea that "feel good" food makes you feel good. But when you get winded climbing the stairs, you can't go out and run in the sunshine.

You are strong. You've got this under control. And thank you for sharing. I'm strong, and i've got this, and i don't need a donut either!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Bring on the donuts!

tumblr_m4y50gh8Im1rqpx0x.gif
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this has been mentioned yet: donuts contain L-cysteine, a non-essential amino acid made from dissolved human hair (often from China) or duck feathers.

Where it is: It's used as a commercial dough conditioner to improve the texture of breads and baked goods.

You're welcome :smile:
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Uncontrolled blood sugar is bad for the brain in the long run . . . save your brain, stay away from the donuts!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this has been mentioned yet: donuts contain L-cysteine, a non-essential amino acid made from dissolved human hair (often from China) or duck feathers.

Where it is: It's used as a commercial dough conditioner to improve the texture of breads and baked goods.

You're welcome :smile:

Sure, maybe the ones from Dunkin Donuts, Krispy Kreme, Tim Hortons, etc have that.
    But I highly doubt the ones from Neils in Wallingford CT, Holy Donut & Tony's in Portland ME, VooDoo Donuts in Portland OR, and the hundreds of other delicious mom& pop stores have that in there.
    I can tell you the ones I make at home don't have it.

And now, I really want a donut instead of an oatmeal craisin cookie, regardless of what amino acids are in it or not.

PS: Please provide proof of this statement you've made.