Back to School: Dress Code

Options

Replies

• SarahRuthRuns
    SarahRuthRuns Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    So skinny jeans are banned, but other styles are not? I don't have a problem with a moratorium on leggings as pants, but what is really revealed by wearing skinny jeans as opposed to boot cut or flares? No matter how wide the leg opening, they will probably be equally snug on the hips, rear, and thighs. Is it hugging the shape of the calf that is an issue? Because even if we are wearing shorts and skirts that cover the knee, calves will be exposed. And what if a student starts the year with straight leg or "boyfriend" jeans, but then "develops" or simply puts on a few pounds and they become tighter, will she be shamed for her too-fitted jeans? As for the "destroyed" denim...I think it has become so ubiquitous that it would hardly be distracting...sloppy, perhaps, but how do you distinguish the girl who paid $50 for her torn jeans at American Eagle from the one whose ragged jeans are third generation hand-me-downs?

All excellent questions...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Wow on the skinny jeans. Just wow. Ridiculous!

I truly get having a reasonable dress code, but some of the things being banned just blow my mind.
  • DenDweller
    DenDweller Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    The concept of dress codes in public schools cause me cognitive dissonance. Unless there's health code violation or public decency laws being broken, stfu about what someone else is supposed to wear. It's none of your business.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Uniforms are so much easier, they are pretty much the standard here in Australia, where for a good chunk of the school year the temperatures are in the high 90's/100s. At my sons school all the kids, boys and girls, wear the same light weight shorts and microfibre polo shirts that are 50 SPF sun protective.

Not only does it mean they all dress the same but they are easy clothes to run around in and be active - this is right the way up to year 10.
  • melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    Can I just vent for a moment about school dress codes? The school my daughters attend has gotten so ridiculous about dress code that we spent about 20 minutes last night looking at my daughters chosen outfit and pouring over the dress code policy trying to determine if it was okay or not.

Nobody in their right mind would have looked at her outfit and thought it was inappropriate. Brand new jeans with no holes or tears. A sleeveless top that completely covered the top of her shoulders and was tucked into her jeans... black with small sunflowers all over it.

The only possible problem was that it was a very light sheer material that in the right light was slightly see-through. Because of this, she wore a tank top under it. We ended up telling her not to wear it, even with the tank top under it.

Technically, the dress code policy says that they can't wear anything see-through that shows anything under it, even straps.

Please keep in mind that we live in Florida where tank tops and light, sheer materials are a necessity in August, and most schools have outdoor hallways...

But, what finally pushed me over the top is this year they added a clause to the actual policy that says that "whether or not something is inappropriate is entirely at their discretion." In the past we have approved (or nixed) their outfits the night before and if they got dinged on dress code my husband would go to the school in person with the dress code in hand and have them either point to the rule that they were breaking or let them off. Now we can't even do that!!

Apparently a girl got in trouble for dress code yesterday because she had a tank top with spaghetti straps (the straps have to be wider than 3 fingers) even though she had a sweater on over it. The teacher actually moved the sweater to see the straps! If you have to move clothing to make the outfit "not dress code", then the outfit is actually okay, right?

The dress code has gotten so strict it's actually difficult to find clothes in the stores that are considered acceptable. At least stylish clothes that the kids want to buy and will actually wear.

I generally don't like uniforms in schools, but I'm almost wishing they were a uniform school now.

Am I crazy to be flipping out over this??

this is awesome " my husband would go to the school in person with the dress code in hand and have them either point to the rule that they were breaking or let them off. "

Here we have uniforms irrespective of the weather , I was a private school girl so daggy uniforms with socks tie you name it. I once wore a black bra to school and had to go to detention because it was 'illegal' lol didn't stop us being rebellious though.

I would get the parents to rally against the teachers, they are probably uptight as fark!
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Yeah I understand the frustrations totally but in the end.... It's only clothing, imo... Dress casually, cover mostly everything and move on to learning chemistry and calculus. :D
  • sphkhn
    sphkhn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Florida and I have to say uniforms are great! Except the girls button downs were 100% polyester talk about crazy sweat and the boys were 100%cotton so I asked my parents If I could buy a boys shirt and tailor it and they said to go ahead. I wore it to school it was literally the same shirt but the collar had the little buttons to hold down the tie. So I got reported to the deans office and pleaded my case he actually listened and said it was ok. And then other girls started doing the same thing. Moral of the story is plead your case with facts. It is HOT in Florida!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I live in a state with four seasons. The kids in our city wear uniforms which are short sleeve polos for warm weather and identical long sleeve polos for cold. The kids can wear navy or khaki shorts,pants,skorts, and jumpers at the parents discretion. Gym clothes and sweaters can be any combo of white, khaki, and navy as well.

All in all, so easy and no drama lama. Thank God cause I wouldn't have the patience.
  • InevitableButterfly
    InevitableButterfly Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I've never understood why school uniforms aren't more common in the US. It saves kids and parents a lot of headaches and harassment--and I think it saves money in most cases unless the school has some ridiculously expensive uniforms. All schools should have uniforms, and all students should be wearing the same thing like black or khaki trousers or shorts, a solid-colour polo, and formal shoes or solid-colour trainers. The only difference between boys and girls should be what's worn underneath the uniform.
  • SarahRuthRuns
    Options
    The outfit we were concerned about...

IMG_20140821_225006_558.jpg

If that doesn't demonstrate how ridiculous they have gotten about dress code, I'm not sure what would... :(
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    Options
    Well she is barefoot...surely the school has a policy regarding shoes.

Otherwise it seems like a perfectly appropriate outfit for school.

And your daughter is adorable.
  • SarahRuthRuns
    Options
    Well she is barefoot...surely the school has a policy regarding shoes.

Otherwise it seems like a perfectly appropriate outfit for school.

And your daughter is adorable.

Aw, thanks!! And, yes, she intends to wear shoes. She was just posing for me. :)
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

If that doesn't demonstrate how ridiculous they have gotten about dress code, I'm not sure what would... :(

She looks a lot smarter than some of the girls at my English school (i'm a teacher) with their uniform skirts rolled up and layers of make-up on!
  • alyssamaryw
    Options
    Please remember teen boys = horn dogs.

Yes, for some boys that's true. But why are the girls then responsible for how they dress because of that?

So you're saying it's ok to wear a cami, mini skirt and heels to school? A learning environment? No.
    And I wouldn't let my son wear those stupid shirts with the arms cut out so girls can view his chest either. Not at school.

I even don't like the swimwear for boys on the swim team.

All I'm saying is that boys being horny isn't the reason that girls should be dressed appropriately. What are the boys going to do? Tackle them in the hallway if they can see some cleavage? Come on now.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Please remember teen boys = horn dogs.

Yes, for some boys that's true. But why are the girls then responsible for how they dress because of that?

So you're saying it's ok to wear a cami, mini skirt and heels to school? A learning environment? No.
    And I wouldn't let my son wear those stupid shirts with the arms cut out so girls can view his chest either. Not at school.

I even don't like the swimwear for boys on the swim team.

All I'm saying is that boys being horny isn't the reason that girls should be dressed appropriately. What are the boys going to do? Tackle them in the hallway if they can see some cleavage? Come on now.

That isn't a reason (give these kids some credit -- they'll notice, but most are not rapists-in-training), but boys AND girls should still dress appropriately for the situation and school isn't the place to show all your skin.

The OP's daughter's outfit is adorable. I agree that it would even be perfectly acceptable in the workplace (assuming your workplace is more casual dress). She's covered where she should be and looks lovely. Ridiculous that she couldn't wear that to school.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    If they are going to have a dress code that strict they should just have uniforms. It would make it easier for everyone
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

She looks super cute. I say "good."
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    If they are going to have a dress code that strict they should just have uniforms. It would make it easier for everyone

QFT
  • SarahRuthRuns
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

She wore that today.

She got sent to the office.

I'm starting to wonder if the school district is intentionally trying to push towards uniforms. They tried to go uniform a few years ago and it didn't work. People didn't want it. So I almost have to wonder if this is a tactic to push us all to the point where we feel uniforms would just be a better option. :(
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    Options
    Do the school administrators seriously have nothing better to do than deal with students who violate the dress code? I suppose it's good to know that every one of the students is well-adjusted and excelling in every subject, there are no problems with bullying, cliques, or any sort of violence (real or threatened), and no issues with drugs or alcohol. If skinny jeans or a cami under a sheer blouse are the worst problems your school has to deal with, you should consider yourself fortunate to be living in such a utopian society.