Finding bra size after weight loss

Options

Replies

• heirloomtomato
    heirloomtomato Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Nordstrom does the best job of measuring and they carry a huge range of sizes. They will bring you 100 bras until they find something that works for you. Their customer service is amazing.

Victorias Secret and Lany Bryant are owned by the same company and you can often find comparable items as long as you fit into VS's limited size range.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I wasn't sure which category to put this under.

I've lost 15ish pounds. I've always had a small chest even at 160+, a 34B. Now I've gotten so small up top I'm like...boney. My 34B bras definitely don't fit.

So I'm measuring 34 for band size (across the back and under arms) and 35 for bust size (widest part of my bust...sad).

Most sites say 34 is my band size and since there is a 1 inch difference between the two measurements, I will be 34 A.

Here's the thing, when I try 34 A's on they just look too small for my frame. Like around my armpit/under arm kind of area is sticking out of the bra too much.

Anyone have any other ideas on how to get an accurate bra measurement? From my research this seems to be the most standard. Also, does anyone else have these measurements but prefer/have found another size to suit you better?

Thanks!

Also try a "sister size". Which for a 34A would be either a 36AA or 32B.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I discovered Cacique balconette style bras and they fit me much better than the ones I was wearing previously. However I know now that I was wearing too big a band and too small a cup even in that brand. Recently saw a thread similar to this and followed a link that suggested leaning over for the around the bust measurement. This showed I needed a 34GG. I was wearing a 38DDD, down from a 42DDD when I weighed 40 pounds more.

I was iffy on the 34 band but that is what my measurement is now, right under my boobs. I almost bought one online in that size but then needed to make a trip to a larger town near me and learned they have a specialty bra shop. So I stopped in and tried on some bras. The first brand I tried ran small, according to the clerk (after I tried one on and was disappointed). It was Le Mystere I think. Then I asked her for a suggestion on which brand to try. She handed me a Fit Fully Yours bra. The bra is made in Canada and uses U.S. sizing instead of UK sizing so they don't have a GG, That is an H I think. Regardless, the 34 band felt too snug. So I tried on a 36I and bingo, perfect fit. Who even KNEW bras went up to "i" and "j"!!! The style in this brand that fits me well is Maxine, btw. Turns out that even Fit Fully Yours only has one style in cups larger than G, but at least they have one.

I ordered a 1st & Curve off Ebay that will be here tomorrow in a 36i. I will report back. I cannot believe how much better I feel in a bra that fits properly, even though I was pretty close with the Cacique balconettes, like I said. I can still wear the 38DDD but the cups don't fit as well as I now know they should.

I feel kind of dumb really, to have lived into my 60s not knowing about correct bra sizes! Also wanted to add that measuring under your armpits really makes no sense at all, does it? I wonder where that started.
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies! These were all helpful! I'm going to skim through them again before I go out for my next bra shopping day (bleh). Now I just need to get comfortable with my size. In time, I suppose.
  • MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Yeah...Victoria's Secret told me I was a 34 C. Maybe another place.

Did you try on a bra there after they measured you? Before i lost weight i was measuring at a 36 almost C. The woman handed me a 34 double D. I was like, honey, my boobs aren't double Ds, i got a handful here. She was basically like "trust me" so i put it on and LOVED the fit way better than the 36 C. She said sometimes if you go up a cup size and down a band size, the bras fit better and actually make your boobs look, well, bigger. So anyway, now Im wearing a 32 DD in Vikkies bras - and my boobs are NOT that bid. i have a friend who is a legitamate double D and accordning to her, vikkies bras dont even fit her. I dont find that there is escess coverage / material and I actually really like the fit!

That being said - finding the right sales associate is key. I had some girl who was all of 18 measure me at like a 42 B at one point, i just smiled and walked away and found someone more experienced...
  • smarieallen85
    Options
    Yeah...I did try it. If anything, I could be a 32 C but not 34. 34 is is huge to me. This is half of my struggle...My chest is so teeny tiny. Not only can I not find the right fit, I'm discouraged and blue about how they look while I'm trying on. Seems like nobody else who responded has a chest this small. It's hard for me to compare when you're talking about 34 DD's haha
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    go to victorias secret or another lengerie specialty store near you, they are taught how to properly fit people

VS is definitely not the place to go. The last time I went there they measured me for the band above my breasts and under my armpits. And then the girl tried to argue with me about it! WTH?

Try and find a specialty boutique, or check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Jk55ep4XUQ&noredirect=1
  • MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Well, my sister is a 32A I thought that was a small as they come she is teeny tiny and she loved Gily Hicks bras, but, word on the street is Gillys went out of business - I think you can still find stuff on line tho!
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I agree. Try a 32B.
    It could also be your shape works better in different types of bras. So try various styles (plunge, balcony, demi, etc.) and see what works best for your shape. Sometimes a bra is the correct size, but just doesn't work for you, so changing the size won't help.

Stay away from Victoria's Secret. Their bras are awful and their fitters are worse. Go to a nice department store for a fitting. (Nordstrom if you have one, but Dillard's and Macy's are probably also fine.)
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Yeah...Victoria's Secret told me I was a 34 C. Maybe another place.

Did you try on a bra there after they measured you? Before i lost weight i was measuring at a 36 almost C. The woman handed me a 34 double D. I was like, honey, my boobs aren't double Ds, i got a handful here. She was basically like "trust me" so i put it on and LOVED the fit way better than the 36 C. She said sometimes if you go up a cup size and down a band size, the bras fit better and actually make your boobs look, well, bigger. So anyway, now Im wearing a 32 DD in Vikkies bras - and my boobs are NOT that bid. i have a friend who is a legitamate double D and accordning to her, vikkies bras dont even fit her. I dont find that there is escess coverage / material and I actually really like the fit!

That being said - finding the right sales associate is key. I had some girl who was all of 18 measure me at like a 42 B at one point, i just smiled and walked away and found someone more experienced...

VS bras run very small. Their DD cups are smaller than other brands by at least one, probably two cup sizes. The last time I went there I tried on my size-- thought it looked too small and it was ridiculously small. I could barely put it on.
  • smarieallen85
    Options
    I agree. Try a 32B.
    It could also be your shape works better in different types of bras. So try various styles (plunge, balcony, demi, etc.) and see what works best for your shape. Sometimes a bra is the correct size, but just doesn't work for you, so changing the size won't help.

Stay away from Victoria's Secret. Their bras are awful and their fitters are worse. Go to a nice department store for a fitting. (Nordstrom if you have one, but Dillard's and Macy's are probably also fine.)

I did stop in VS today just to compare. I was doing well in a 32 C there. Then I tried a 32 C DKNY bra that was still a little too big in the cup.
  • MJ_Watson
    MJ_Watson Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    OP, could it be a cut/style issue? I've definitely had the experience - just like with pants - that different bras, even in the same brand, fit in different sizes, and some cuts straight up never look or feel good. I've read some good articles about breast shape and finding the right style bra. Wish I could find them, but I'm on mobile. Maybe google and see if that could be part of the problem?
    I'm surprised at everyone saying they got bad fittings at VS. I was shocked to find out I've probably been wearing the wrong size for years. I am a 36D and had been cramming into a 36C. I always thought "D" meant "giant boobs" but it really doesn't. 36D is the same cup size as 38C and 34DD. It's just your band to breast tissue ratio. I have never had a better fitting bra in my life.

Yeah, me too. I've also had a good experience with VS. Their measurements have been good for me, and the ones I've been to had very helpful employees who were willing to help me pick a style, check the fit, and run grab sister sizes if that particular cut needed it. I WORE OUT the bras I got there and keep going back every time I drop another size to buy the exact same one! Best my boobs have ever looked, haha! Of course, if you're outside their somewhat narrow range of sizes (like I was before the weight loss started stealing my boobage in the night :sad:), I can see how they'd a lot less helpful...
  • smarieallen85
    Options
    Update! Tried on bras today. Found a gorgeous Calvin Klein and it fit the best in a 32 C. The general consensus seems that a 34 A looks funny, a 32 C looks good UNLESS it's unpadded, then the cup is too big. And the old 34 B will never work again.

Thanks for all your help! I definitely used a lot of your advice and links!
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I had a good experience at Victoria's Secret. They actually ended up being the same as a specialty bra shop (where I only had them measure me because I'd save $5 on a bra if I did). Since they do measure over your clothes and current bra, maybe you're getting a wonky size from them due to the bulk of your current bra adding what seems to be cup size.
  • AlliSteff
    AlliSteff Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    There is a great older woman at Saks who has measured me....and some totally normal priced bras (check the sale rack!)
  • smarieallen85
    Options
    Thanks I'll have to head in there next.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    You take your underbust measurement in inches. This is the size of your rib cage directly underneath your breasts and around your back. You add either 4 or 5 inches to bring it to an even number. You then measure directly around the widest part of your breasts and back and compare this to your strap size. If it is the same size then you are an AA cup. If it is 1 inch bigger, you are an A cup. 2 inches bigger is a B cup, 3 inches bigger is a C cup.

From the measurements you have given, I would estimate that you are a 36AA. However an awful lot depends on the bra style. If you find you are splurging out over the sides, you may prefer a 3 hook setting, rather than a 2 hook.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    tag :wink:
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    You take your underbust measurement in inches. This is the size of your rib cage directly underneath your breasts and around your back. You add either 4 or 5 inches to bring it to an even number. You then measure directly around the widest part of your breasts and back and compare this to your strap size. If it is the same size then you are an AA cup. If it is 1 inch bigger, you are an A cup. 2 inches bigger is a B cup, 3 inches bigger is a C cup.

From the measurements you have given, I would estimate that you are a 36AA. However an awful lot depends on the bra style. If you find you are splurging out over the sides, you may prefer a 3 hook setting, rather than a 2 hook.

Don't ever add 4-5 inches to your rib cage measurement. The band is supposed to be supporting your breasts, not the straps. If you add all those inches to your band size you get a band that is way too loose & it will give you no support. This is why so many women get grooves in their shoulders from their bra--they are not getting the support they need. The band size should be your rib cage measurement. You may have to go up 1" at the most to get to the next even number. It should be very snug on the loosest hook to allow for it to "break in" & move you into the middle hook. I don't understand why women accept the whole add 4-5 inches to your band size for your bra. You would never hear of a man saying he has a 30" waist so he needs to go buy 34" pants. Stores will never carry the range of cup sizes women actually need if we just keep adjusting the band up in order to find a cup that will fit over our breasts.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    You take your underbust measurement in inches. This is the size of your rib cage directly underneath your breasts and around your back. You add either 4 or 5 inches to bring it to an even number.

If I did that, I would be buying a 42" band. :noway: With a 40" band there is enough of a gap between my ribs and the band for my boobs to slide out of the bra if I move the wrong way. My boobs would never end up staying in a bra if I went up to a 42" band.