Does clean eating pay off?

Options
123457»

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Not eating clean does not mean eating junk...
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Bingo ^^^^^^^^^^
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    From what I've seen around here though, the only difference between those who clean eat and those who don't is that those who do call it clean eating + occasional "cheats" and those who don't generally eat pretty much the same things the first group does but don't call occasional calorific food cheating.

This. Plus those who avoid the term "clean" are less likely to say absurd things like they avoid processed foods but eat lean cuisine or yogurt or string cheese or cold cuts. I don't see anything wrong with those things (well, I'm a cheese snob and also think lean cuisine tastes bad), but that they are "clean" demonstrates that the term has no meaning and supports my view that it's really just a way of claiming a kind of weird food virtue on no basis.

If there is a difference, it's that people who don't like the term want to focus of the diet as a whole (a diet should contain mostly nutrient dense foods or adequate macros and micros) whereas the "clean" folks want to focus on specific foods they aren't eating and see the inclusion of any whatevers as a cheat, whatever the diet as a whole.

I prefer the first approach but would not argue with those who follow the second if they would stop making offensive and inaccurate claims about it being either their approach or twinkles 24/7 or that eating a teaspoon of sugar makes you unhealthy or that non clean eaters don't deserve to lose weight.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Bingo ^^^^^^^^^^

I like it!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I just ate 2 cups full fat greek yogurt with 2 cups of post raisin bran cereal.

Clean, or not clean...?
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I switched to no-junk vegan over two months ago. I had one unfortunate day of backsliding to vegetarian with ice cream and cupcakes made with eggs involved but otherwise, I've stuck to it, and not junk, either. Fruits and veggies, nuts and seeds.

I notice I have a ton more energy, not just to work out (something I never do in the Summer usually because it's miserable) but also I'm looking for any excuse to get out of my chair and move around and instead of slumping on the couch when I watch TV I find myself doing crunches and weights.

I have to say I feel better and have more energy than when I was on low carb (low carb was better for satiety, though) and I feel a ton better on either one of those than on the standard American diet.

So yeah, for me, so far, it's paying off big time. I also find I can maintain on about 100 more calories a day than I did as low carb or just counting calories and eating crap. I assume that is because I am out of my chair more.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Lots of people would define "clean" as probably more similar to your low carb diet (cutting flour, etc) than a vegan one, which is why the discussion of "clean" eating's effects makes no sense. Does what someone eats affect that person in a variety of ways? Obviously. Do I think you'd be less healthy if you ate eggs in moderation? No, although if you prefer not eating them you shouldn't, of course.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I think it's a vague term at best but if it gets you thinking about eating more veggies and fruits, and focused more on your diet in general then ok. Just remember that it's calories in calories out for weight loss, but that nutrition does matter. Now, to be clear good nutrition doesn't require the organic, non-GMO, gluten free BS though.

This ^^^^^^^^^
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    For me it's about food volume. for 500 calories, I can either have 1/2 of a decent cheeseburger and be starving an hour later, or I could make a GIANT plate of vegetable-filled, well-seasoned lentil curry & rice, and eat myself silly.

This is how I feel about food too. I'd rather have a huge bowl of salad than a "cup" of of something like pasta. That naturally leans me towards eating what seem to be more nutrient dense foods (lean white meat, vegetables, fruits, nuts, etc).

However, tomorrow I'll be hunting a cheeseburger and pretzel nuggets... and beer.

It's actually not that hard (even without 95% ground beef) to make a burger of a filling size with some vegetables on the side and have it be at least as filling as lentils and rice for the same calories, IMO. Similarly, it's not all that hard to have half a cup of pasta (whole wheat if you like) with a homemade sauce with lots of vegetables and have it be as filling as the salad with lots of volume.

But the bigger point is that I'm not sure why the burger or the pasta in these examples would necessarily be NOT CLEAN. This again points to the confusion of the term. Is it the bun (even if whole wheat)? The pasta itself? I mean, sure, some people think wheat isn't adequately nutrient dense, but is it really that different in kind than rice?

My comment wasn't really about a certain food's "cleanliness". I was responding to someone who made a point about calorie density and that is what I agreed with.

I don;t really care if my food is clean... if the hot dog fits my macros, and it falls off the grill and gets mulch on it, I'm still eating it.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Lots of people would define "clean" as probably more similar to your low carb diet (cutting flour, etc) than a vegan one, which is why the discussion of "clean" eating's effects makes no sense. Does what someone eats affect that person in a variety of ways? Obviously. Do I think you'd be less healthy if you ate eggs in moderation? No, although if you prefer not eating them you shouldn't, of course.

Eggs might be fine for my energy and satiety, I'm just not eating them for ethical reasons.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Eggs might be fine for my energy and satiety, I'm just not eating them for ethical reasons.

Yeah, I understand that from other discussions (and think it's great, go for it, even if I see nothing unethical in eating eggs myself), but you were the one who injected the vegan thing into the "clean eating" and its effects discussion. There's no way to say that it has particular effects, as it doesn't mean much to begin with, and certainly not "eating healthy," as one can eat healthy without cutting out whatever someone else's bête noir is.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Whatever helps you adhere to your macro and calorie goals.

There's no right answer. Only a style of eating you can stick with, feel happy and, ultimately, achieve the results you want.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options

Just worry about your calories.
    "clean" has a different meaning to everyone....

So eat a balanced diet of whole foods, veggies fruit....
    Maybe some "junk" food even....
    Stay where you need to be with your calories (deficit if you are trying to lose weight) and you will be fine.

This. ^^. (I knew we were friends for a reason. :smile: ) Unless you are eating only fruits and vegetables, I don't know what anyone would consider "clean eating". I think it's an industry term that was coined to recycle the age old thought of eating minimally processed foods.

But what is "minimally processed"? Most food is "processed" somehow. Does it mean eating a food as close to its natural state as possible? Does it mean no additives? Does it mean no boxed / canned foods?

The only thing that has stood the test of time is eating a variety of food - a balanced diet, and within your calorie needs.

Some foods might make you feel better than others, and you may feel bloated or sluggish with "processed" foods, but, a calorie is a calorie. Eating healthy is just better for you in the long run.

If your main goal is simply to drop pounds, just eat at a deficit.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

This. ^^. (I knew we were friends for a reason. :smile: )

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ok, I guess I want say then why we are friends. :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

We will go with your reason. :wink:
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Stay where you need to be with your calories (deficit if you are trying to lose weight) and you will be fine.

This. ^^. (I knew we were friends for a reason. :smile: ) Unless you are eating only fruits and vegetables, I don't know what anyone would consider "clean eating". I think it's an industry term that was coined to recycle the age old thought of eating minimally processed foods.

But what is "minimally processed"? Most food is "processed" somehow. Does it mean eating a food as close to its natural state as possible? Does it mean no additives? Does it mean no boxed / canned foods?

The only thing that has stood the test of time is eating a variety of food - a balanced diet, and within your calorie needs.

Some foods might make you feel better than others, and you may feel bloated or sluggish with "processed" foods, but, a calorie is a calorie. Eating healthy is just better for you in the long run.

What what? Fruits and vegetables are not clean! Fruits have sugar (GASP!) and vegetables have chemicals!
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

What what? Fruits and vegetables are not clean! Fruits have sugar (GASP!) and vegetables have chemicals!

I never said they were clean (whatever that means).....
    I think they are food, and worth eating though.