Weird looks and questions when I explain how I lost weight

Options
riffraff2112
riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
Now that summer is coming to an end and I am returning to work (I am a teacher), more and more people seem to be noticing my weight loss (strange in itself because I had lost 90% of my weight before summer break but maybe its the new wardrobe or tanned skin) and are asking what I did?

I keep it brief and say "honestly I just got control over my eating and keep my calories below 2000". I'll mention that I use MFP to log everything, and occasionally workout and try to get some cardio a few times a week.

People seem to expect something more radical. I get all kinds of strange looks like I'm holding something back or something..

How do you guys explain it to people? Do you notice the same thing or is it just me? It seems they want to know a secret or something, and are disappointed that I don't have something more profound to say. I would really like to hear from those of you that lost a lot of weight. My weight loss wasn't dramatic and some people don't even notice it. Dying to know how someone who lost 100 lbs by counting calories feels about the reactions people have to their explanation of how they did it.

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I would just say "I started watching what I eat" and leave it at that. No more detail unless they ask for more information, and then start with "Well, it seems that it really is all about calories in, calories out."
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    This is pretty common, actually. So many people have been conditioned to hear that you've done it with {name of fad diet plan or nutritional system here}. I get the same thing. It usually ends with a puzzled ... "so, you've done it all on your own?" Yes, I just eat sensibly, track my calories carefully, and exercise a lot. Sometimes I follow up with "I wasn't doing that before." Huh.

I don't explain beyond that. If they don't get it, if they don't want to get it, that's their problem. Conversation over.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I've not lost 100lbs, but just last week a family friend asked me how I was losing weight. She got a weird look when I told her I was just watching what I eat and started exercising, and mentioned MFP. I don't think it was that she didn't believe me, but rather disappointment that it wasn't some magic solution that would instantly solve all of her weight problems too.
  • d4rkkn16ht
    d4rkkn16ht Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Many people think that losing weight has a secret "moves".
    But the real secret is...DEDICATION & WILLPOWER :drinker:
    MFP, Workouts, activity tracker & scales are just tools to help you with your dedication & willpower.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    This is pretty common, actually. So many people have been conditioned to hear that you've done it with {name of fad diet plan or nutritional system here}. I get the same thing. It usually ends with a puzzled ... "so, you've done it all on your own?" Yes, I just eat sensibly, track my calories carefully, and exercise a lot. Sometimes I follow up with "I wasn't doing that before." Huh.

I don't explain beyond that. If they don't get it, if they don't want to get it, that's their problem. Conversation over.

Yeah, I guess that was my point. I hate entering a conversation knowing that I really don't have the 'answer' they are looking for. I am usually very good at idle chatter but this one leaves me speechless because I really do not have anything more to say except 'thanks for noticing....I have been working real hard!"
  • sartezalb
    sartezalb Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I don't think it was that she didn't believe me, but rather disappointment that it wasn't some magic solution that would instantly solve all of her weight problems too.

^ I think this is a big one. "Eating less and exercising" may be the tried-and-tested strategy, but it is literally the least sexy answer to the question of weight loss.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I think the disappointment comes from people wanting you to tell them you took a magic pill or that there really is a short cut. We know better. Congrats!
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Yup-I get the "disappointed" look about 99% of the time when I tell people what I did. Like "that's ALL?" Sure THAT's ALL. And it works!!
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    When I tell people that I count my calories with MFP and exercise, I usually get the response of "so, you obsess then??". And I also get asked at least once a day if I am anorexic because I turn down things like pizza.
  • TINAHUNTER1969
    TINAHUNTER1969 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Maybe because people haven't seen you for a while they notice the weight loss more. People always say its difficult when they see you every day to notice a difference but as soon as they don't see you for a while its like everyone notices.

We all know that there is no magic pill out there to help with weight loss - we are doing it the right way so that it is a permanent change to the way we live, not just a quick fix (that isn't really a quick fix because people are more likely to put weight back on if they follow some stupid diet for a couple of months then go back to how they were eating before).

Congratulations on your weight loss, just say you decided to get fit and make healthier choices with your food.

:flowerforyou:
  • srr728
    srr728 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    sometimes i make up stuff like the cat food diet etc just because they dont want to hear they have to eat right and exercise
  • FR89
    FR89 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    sometimes i make up stuff like the cat food diet etc just because they dont want to hear they have to eat right and exercise

hahhaha :laugh: i wonder if anyone goes home to attempt that.. :indifferent:

made my day! Thanks:flowerforyou:
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    ...I have been asked many times, and when I start to explain, I get the "I just want to know which pill you took" look. When i explain how easy it is to track, I get the disgusted look.

I actually just explained what I was doing to a coworker, and I specifically said "it can be free - dont ever fall for gimmicks/pills/"magical cures" for obesity. He followed up by saying "you know what you should try"

I immediately said "if your going to try to sell me something, im not interested". He went on to promote some liquid fat **** he has been taking...and that its only 40.00 for a big jar, etc.

I just turned away and ignored him after that. The EXACT same thing happened with another co-worker. After i explained what I did and the website, she was like "thats too much work, Im just going to get these ketones Dr.Oz will give free samples out!" My jaw almost hit the ground with the stupidity.
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I just say it like it is, that I keep a food diary to log all of my intake, I eat at a deficit & balanced diet with plenty of enjoyment, and exercise regularly doing the activities I love to do.
    Most people already get that the whole calories in, calories out thing works...they just seem to criticise the mfp method as 'obsessive' to keep a daily food diary like we do. I've lost only 17 kilo's, and I get people telling me that my life must absolutely suck to have to count calories!
    Sometimes they think I've lost the plot because I actually weigh and measure foods in my own home. They think something like mfp is obsessive and just way too much effort, that it's like an eating disorder! someone actually said that to me today-that it's like I have anorexia, only I eat properly :|
  • FlowersInTheDirt
    FlowersInTheDirt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I get the same. People always expect something more drastic like going to the gym every day and eating nothing bad. They don't realise that watching what you eat can make such a difference.
  • GatorDeb1
    GatorDeb1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    "How did you lose the weight?"
    "Ate right and exercised."
    "Oh."
  • rosnz
    rosnz Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Confession time ... If I can't be bothered answering and I don't really know the person I adopt a rather sad demeanour and say in hushed tones "I've been unwell" That makes them feel better that I've list weight with extra 'help' and stops the questions ;-p
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    xX_PhoenixRising_Xx Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I get that all the time. Just about 150lbs lost now though diet and exercise, and people still want the magic answer. I've also had people assume that the only way I could lost this amount of weight without surgery is because I have some horrible illness. Nope, it really is as simple as eating in moderation and exercising. And having the patience to get to goal!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Yep, that's pretty common. People don't want to hear that it was just sensible choices, calorie control or just plain hard work. They want to hear the name of a quick fix, something that doesn't require much effort or time and so they can get a fantastic body and lose 20lbs in 2 weeks or something stupid like that.

When I've said to people what I do before, I get responses like "oh, that doesn't work for me" or "I've tried that before, but my body needs something drastic" or "I eat healthily already, I don't know what else I can do" or "I'll always be big" etc It's excuses. They'll realise hopefully at some point. In the meantime just keep it brief when they ask and they'll move on.
  • botography
    botography Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Funny you should post this. I can lose nothing and people approach me and tell me how much weight I must have lost. I guess in my case it is the clothes I wear. (I am a retired teacher). When I taught I had to walk up and down stairs all day long and it really helped hold my weight down. Now retired I dance every evening but it is not as useful or effective as going up and down and up and down stairs.

As for the weight loss I get looks when I mention MYFITNESS pal. Everyone thinks the diets should be some sort of drastic program as in liquids or packaged products or bizarre programs. Simple, easy, sensible approaches don't seem to make sense to anyone.

You may friend me if you wish.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!