Weird looks and questions when I explain how I lost weight

Options

Replies

• Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Many people think that losing weight has a secret "moves".
    But the real secret is...DEDICATION & WILLPOWER :drinker:
    MFP, Workouts, activity tracker & scales are just tools to help you with your dedication & willpower.

+1 this ^^^
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    It is funny how people want to hear about a certain diet or wonder drug.... I guess, there are to many weight loss plans out there like Atkins, Low Carb, South Beach, Metabolic, Formula, Pills etc. that people seem to forget one thing. All it takes is watching and counting calories, no matter where they come from.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    It's weird, you would think people would want to hear that you don't have to go on a strict diet and/or buy expensive pills, that all you pretty much have to do is "eat less, move more". I do sometimes throw in "lift heavy" or "being more mindful of what I eat", but its always the same, blank look.
  • Ryan_Case
    Ryan_Case Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have explored this topic a few times

http://jamesrobert.us/wp/?p=251

It just amazes me the way people hold on to the idea of a quick purchased solution.
  • carolbrady1
    carolbrady1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Your approach to weight loss sounds very healthy to me - and very logical. Well done on having a nice healthy lifestyle!
  • 1971MLJ
    1971MLJ Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    The best thing is when you give them the explanation and they tell you how that doesn't work for them :laugh:
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    It's because people KNOW what they need to do to lose weight, but feel that it's too much of an effort (and really, it is, but so worth it), so are constantly looking for something to make it quicker. That's why Dr. Oz is so popular!

I applaud you for your efforts. It's not easy (especially when people are always putting junk in the teacher's lounge) once the school year gets rolling, but you seem to have done a great job!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Pats hand, I feel ya.

It's the oddest thing because my family members see me & all they want to do is ask me what I'm doing. They are greatly disappointed in the truth & it's as though they just 'skim' through rather than hearing what I say. They keep asking the same questions over & over in different ways.

The way I did it is always rejected as too much of a commitment & the conversation always turns to how much of a grind it is & how it's like climbing Mount Everest o.O

I try to steer the conversation back towards them to get them to stop talking about me. :drinker: Now that summer in NY is almost over, I'll be seeing everyone for the holidays & I'm expecting this to be a very interesting season! :drinker:
  • Choobey
    Choobey Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Everyone thinks that losing weight comes from a magic pill or potion, so when you do it they want to hear all about it! It is a lifestyle change not a diet. However, I love hearing people's weight loss journeys!!! They are so inspiring.

Congratulations to you!! :bigsmile:
  • mvfoster
    mvfoster Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I sometimes get the same reaction when I tell people that I track my calories in MFP and I walk (a minimum of 2-5 miles per day). The response is "Really?" I usually add "You would be surprised how many calories are in what we eat, start tracking to see what you are really eating".
    I could go on and on, but usually leave it at that unless they ask for more info.
    I am just about half way to may weight loss goal and feeling great.
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I had one of those conversations just yesterday! The words carbohydrates and metabolism were mentioned several times, along with "but I'm a vegetarian, I go to the gym three times a week, I walk every day", etc., etc. The person really didn't want to hear about calories in, calories out.
    People either get it or they don't. At this point I cannot remember how many times I've told someone abut MFP and been told that that doesn't work for that person; however, just look at a magazine or newspaper, bookstore or even the television or Internet ads (some of which are on this website). We are inundated with the quick fix. Weight loss is a huge industry, and it would fizzle if everyone came here!
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I sometimes play up the "keeping a diary" aspect, because people really do seem to need some sort of magic bullet that's more than just "eat less move more." I feel like I'm giving them that by telling them measuring and recording everything kept me on track. Unfortunately I think what a lot of people really want is the magic bullet that takes no effort on their part...and while my weight loss was simple in terms of what tools I used, it really was hard work to remain consistent and jump back up every time I fell. As I put in my profile quote: "Losing weight is easy math and hard work."
  • njmark72
    njmark72 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Honestly, now I just say diet and exercise unless it is someone who really seems like they want to seriously change their life the way I did. I have spent too much time in the past with people, explaining the intricate details of my diet and exercise routine only for them to say something like, but I like to drink a couple of beers a night or, nah, I can't give up eating ice cream.

So now, it's just diet and exercise...

Mark
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    sometimes i make up stuff like the cat food diet etc just because they dont want to hear they have to eat right and exercise

+1!!!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I usually said "I did it the old fashioned way - eating less and exercising". Sometimes they just say "oh good for you" but most of the time I get that strange look.

The best one was about 3 years ago, I went to a happy hour with a bunch of former co-workers and everyone complimented me and later the conversation went back to asking how I did it. So I told them I started in WW and then found this great website. There was a hint of that strange look but they at least feigned interest so I told them I'd email the link to them the next day and offered my help if they needed it. After I sent my emails, I never heard a peep back.

As a lot of the previous replies have pointed out - I think most people just aren't ready to make that commitment and are hoping you'll tell them about some magic pill or shake or something.
  • sinker59
    sinker59 Posts: 130
    Options
    Wait a minute, I'm taking notes. So if I understand you correctly, you're saying 'Eat less and exercise more.' Sounds crazy to me!!
  • jennnnn2u
    jennnnn2u Posts: 133
    Options
    I've not lost 100lbs, but just last week a family friend asked me how I was losing weight. She got a weird look when I told her I was just watching what I eat and started exercising, and mentioned MFP. I don't think it was that she didn't believe me, but rather disappointment that it wasn't some magic solution that would instantly solve all of her weight problems too.

I think you hit the nail on the head here.
  • RestlessWorld
    RestlessWorld Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I tell them I downloaded an app on my phone. It is fun to see the reaction. What app? How much? Do you just leave the phone in your pocket all day and it causes you to lose weight?
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Turns out the answer is simply: Discipline.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!