I want to lift, but I'm terrified of the weight room.

Options
124»

Replies

• rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    2 or 3 girls is better than none, you won't be the only female! And even if you were, it doesn't matter. Most people are so focused on their routine, they won't even notice you. If you are terrified because you feel inexperienced, then research beforehand what lifts you want to do. If you are uncomfortable using a barbell because you feel like you don't know what you are doing, then start with dumbbells. They are more easy to manage and it will get your feet wet in the weight room, then you can build up your confidence to a barbell. Don't be afraid to ask a question, the guys in the weight rooms are usually pretty helpful and knowledgeable. Maybe you can even find a workout buddy.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! So I really want to start weightlifting! I've seen the success stories on here and on bodybuilding.com, and I think it will great things for my body! But there's one problem, I'm so nervous to be in the weight room! It really really intimidates me.

I am a freshmen in college, so I am on my own for the first time in my life. I go to a big public university, so there's of course lots of guys everywhere. I checked out our rec center, and it was amazing. They have everything! But I just felt so intimated in the weight room. There were soooooo many guys there, and like two or three girls. It was packed with guys. It makes me so mad that this is preventing me from weightlifting, but it really is!

I really want a lifting buddy, but I only have made a few friends here and I don't want to pressure them to workout with me.
    What can I do to get over my fear? Should I go at a time where there's less people? :/ I want to get over my fear, but I don't know how!

That's why I joined a women only gym. Makes it much easier to start without being intimidated.
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    If you are worried about looking stupid, trust me, 90% of those people don't know what the are doing and look stupid.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    That's why I joined a women only gym. Makes it much easier to start without being intimidated.

hysterically the most uncomfortable I have EVER felt is walking into an all women's ANYTHING.

And or- any classes at a gym full of women.

Seriously- it's almost crippling for me. I can't stand it.
  • ILuvCupcakesNLifting87
    Options
    Wear a ball cap, put in some head phones, blast some of your favorite tunes, block everyone else out & just lift. Like someone else said the guys will respect you. Just go there to workout & use good etiquette & you'll be golden! If you're a beginner pick up the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women," I found it to be very helpful! Good luck you can do it. Confidence is key!
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Gonna echo the suggestions of meeting people at the gym. You will find that people who work out, enjoy talking about working out. Hence the existence of this forum. Make a couple friends at the gym, and it will remove the timidness, as those people will provide a sense of familiarity. Most any college dude will be extremely happy to help a young gal learn the ropes.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I know this isn't super helpful and insightful advice, but my advice is: Just do it.

You're gonna be fine!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    There is another option.

It ain't cheap, but you can get access to a private gym.

I work out twice a week at a private gym, well worth it to me as I can act the fool... I don't think people would appreciate me screaming out nipples when I realize my own are at full attention during some lat raises.

PS- NIPPLES
  • JoRocka
    Options
    There is another option.

It ain't cheap, but you can get access to a private gym.

I work out twice a week at a private gym, well worth it to me as I can act the fool... I don't think people would appreciate me screaming out nipples when I realize my own are at full attention during some lat raises.

PS- NIPPLES

ha ha ha ha ha- I tell all the time at my gym- I'm so inappropriate.

I double up on bra's too so I don't have to worry about nipples- I'm not comfortable with mine for some reason.

*kitten* yes?
    Boobies yes?
    inappropriate 16 year old jokes? BRING IT.

But nipples are weird to me. LMAO
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! So I really want to start weightlifting! I've seen the success stories on here and on bodybuilding.com, and I think it will great things for my body! But there's one problem, I'm so nervous to be in the weight room! It really really intimidates me.

I am a freshmen in college, so I am on my own for the first time in my life. I go to a big public university, so there's of course lots of guys everywhere. I checked out our rec center, and it was amazing. They have everything! But I just felt so intimated in the weight room. There were soooooo many guys there, and like two or three girls. It was packed with guys. It makes me so mad that this is preventing me from weightlifting, but it really is!

I really want a lifting buddy, but I only have made a few friends here and I don't want to pressure them to workout with me.
    What can I do to get over my fear? Should I go at a time where there's less people? :/ I want to get over my fear, but I don't know how!

Just remember all other freshman feel the same.

Read the links people will no doubt post here. Start slowly, you will notice who is nice...walk up and ask for help....start off the conversation with "you look like you know what you are doing..."

Check if your school offers a class in weight lifting (maybe a one credit class or something) or if there is a PT program they may have student trainers.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

hysterically the most uncomfortable I have EVER felt is walking into an all women's ANYTHING.

same here.

the main reason is that all-women's gyms have the tendency to be all about cardio , no squat racks, no dummbells over 20 pounds (or it's hidden), no weight plates over 10 pounds, no kettlebells over 10 pounds.

besides that, i need my eye candy !!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

If you don't leave your comfort zone then you'll never grow.
  • JoRocka
    Options

same here.

the main reason is that all-women's gyms have the tendency to be all about cardio , no squat racks, no dummbells over 20 pounds (or it's hidden), no weight plates over 10 pounds, no kettlebells over 10 pounds.

besides that, i need my eye candy !!

well not just that- but I'm actually physically really uncomfortable around a lot of women. I feel very insecure stepping into an all women's class- which is weird- because I go to a lot of belly dance classes- but the fitness world- to many stepford wives and I project.

I'm really self conscious about being there.

And they don't have the equipment I need- but I just feel significantly more judged at an all womens' anything than one co-ed.

and yes.. .men. nomnomnomnom

eye candy.
  • jazzy_45
    jazzy_45 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to bump this thread and say...well I weightlifted today!!! I was really nervous at first, but I went in at a time where it wasn't that crowded. (12:30). Two girls were squatting, and idk what gave me the courage but I went up to them and asked if they could help me squat. They were very friendly and said of course. The one girl was new like me, but the other girl was experienced. She's on our school's powerlifting team. I squatted with the barbell (45 pounds), did some deadlifts with a 26 pound kettlebell, did lunges with an 18 pound kettlebell, and did hip thrusts with no weights. Wow, I'm so sore!!!

I think I'm going to go join my university's powerlifting team. The girl told me that newbs are welcome to join as well, as its for people of all skill levels. The first meeting is on Sunday! :bigsmile:
    So thanks everyone for helping me out and pushing me to do it!
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    If this makes you feel any better, I totally failed on my last bench press rep this morning. It was a huge, long, drawn out ordeal/scene, and these guys rushed over to help even though I was doing a pretty good job at rolling it off of me. I looked like a complete dumb***, but I survived it and was able to laugh at myself immediately afterwards. My point is that you should just get in there! People are not judging you nearly as much as you think at the gym.

This hasn't happened to me, but it has happened to a few embarassed guys who I've helped lift the bar off. It's something that happens in a weight room -- not just to women in the weight room.

OP, just get your workout program written down, put your music on, look straight ahead, and march into that weight room. Every weight room is mostly guys. I'd bet they won't say a word to you. If you have a question, ask someone. Claim your space, lift your weights, and go home. It will never be as hard as the first time.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Definitely over-thinking it. Bodybuilding.com has TONS AND TONS of videos of all sorts of lifts so that would be a good place to do research. Make a workout plan, keep track of what you lift and don't be afraid to lift HEAVY!!!!!! I'm always like one of three girls in the weight room and I promise that everyone in there is so busy checking themselves out that they're not going to notice you. JUST DO IT!!!!!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Powerlifting?

Get strong. That's awesome.

You're in for a lot of work and maybe a few friends. Good luck.
  • lqichick
    lqichick Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Good for you, you go girl !!!:bigsmile: