Diet Recipes Only

Options
I am seeing a lot of pictures and recipes of foods/meals that are not diet recipes so I am creating this topic for people like me who are trying to lose a great deal of weight. Pictures would be great! :)

Replies

• merisaOct3
    merisaOct3 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    This is a really difficult post to comment on. Everyone has different ideas of what "diet" means. Some people require or prefer low sodium recipes. Others low fat. If you want specific recipes (i.e. a lot of bulk for low cal/low fat), you might want to specify.

For me, I would recommend starting with the Weight Watchers Turn Around Program Cookbook. There are some great recipes in there. I was on WW about 10 years ago, and some of those recipes are still go-tos (i.e. white chicken chili). Cooking Light also has a lot of good recipes. And a number of websites provide the nutritional information for the recipe. Using the Recipe Tool here on MFP is a great way to figure out the nutritional info for your own recipes and modify them as needed.

It's not so much about the specific recipes - it's about cooking in an entirely different manner - focus on a lean protein and a LOT of veggies. Think about what could satisfy you that might be a lower cal/lower fat option than what you're use to eating. I personally try to stay away from "light" or "fat free" versions of things (because they're not as satisfying and have more sugar, typically), but some folks modify recipes with LF/FF ingredients. Keep following the recipe board, because there are a lot of great recipes that may work for you.

Good luck!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    ^ agreed. To me, any recipe is a "diet" recipe if it fits in my calories. I'll tweak them to lighten the calories where possible, but not to the detriment of taste. Nothing is as crushing to my motivation as being punished with "diet" food LOL.

Skinnytaste is a good website with heaps of tasty recipes that have been made more calorie friendly and have all the nutritional information.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    diet = the food a person eats.

to each his own.

that said....

6-8 bone in skinless chicken breasts
    1 can diced tomatoes (the regular sized one, not the big'n)
    2 diced carrots
    2 stalks diced celery
    1 small diced onion
    1/2 cup white wine
    1 cup chicken broth
    2 tbsp flour of choice
    1 tbsp oil of choice
    salt and pepper to taste
    herbs of choice if desired

first, throw the chicken in a big bag with the flour, shake. . heat a 4 qt pot to very hot with the tbsp of oil. brown the chicken for a couple minutes. move to a casserole. preheat the oven to 375 f. in the same pan you cooked the chicken, add onions, stir while scraping up the browned bits with a spatula. add the carrots and celery. cook until soft. add the tomatoes, liquid and all. mix. add the wine. pour this over your chicken. bake until tender (30 minutes or so)
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Go to SkinnyTaste.com, Snack Girl.com, Laa Loosh.com and Green Lite Bites.com get low calories recipes I have more if you want let me know.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Could you please specify what a "diet recipe" is? How is it different from normal food?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I eat normal foods, not "diet" foods. This is a lifestyle, not a diet.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    If you have specific dietary needs (low-fat/carb/sodium/etc) then just replace ingredients in recipes to work within your needs. I eat anything I want, but if I know I need to eat a lower fat meal so that I can get in adequate protein for the day and not be too under for carbs, then I'd use much less oil, or a different type of meat, or lower fat cheese, etc.
  • jstewa40
    jstewa40 Posts: 27
    Options
    I am seeing a lot of pictures and recipes of foods/meals that are not diet recipes so I am creating this topic for people like me who are trying to lose a great deal of weight. Pictures would be great! :)

I figured I may get a reply such as this when writing it, but I just wanted to keep it as a general "diet". What I really meant was, I don't want to see recipes or pictures of cake, bacon, and/or other foods that are not considered weight loss food items. Basically, I am eating healthy foods which would obviously exclude most fast foods, fried foods (except in olive oil), sugary deserts, junk food, processed foods, pop, candy, non lean meats, full fat dairy products, etc. Anything considered healthy is fine, even if it is full fat items, as they can easily be changed for people like me who choose not to eat them right now.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    hungry-girl.com has some good "diet" recipes
    I really like the pumpkin faux-sotto

for "diet" sweets check out
    chocolatecoveredkatie.com
    foodiefiasco.com
    dessertswithbenefits.com
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Diet Dr. Pepper
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options

I figured I may get a reply such as this when writing it, but I just wanted to keep it as a general "diet". What I really meant was, I don't want to see recipes or pictures of cake, bacon, and/or other foods that are not considered weight loss food items. Basically, I am eating healthy foods which would obviously exclude most fast foods, fried foods (except in olive oil), sugary deserts, junk food, processed foods, pop, candy, non lean meats, full fat dairy products, etc. Anything considered healthy is fine, even if it is full fat items, as they can easily be changed for people like me who choose not to eat them right now.

Are you giving up cake, candy, bacon, etc. forever? If not, just enjoy the recipes, eat the foods you like; just less. No food is your enemy.
  • S_Murphree
    Options
    I've never posted a picture. Let me try. LOL.

This is grilled chicken with spinach pasta and roasted veggies.
  • jstewa40
    Options
    Please use this topic to post recipes that are both low calorie and relatively low fat. I realize there are many websites with these, but it is great to see ones in which people have tried, enjoy, and eat somewhat regularly. :)
  • jstewa40
    Options

dec182013028_zpsd258fec7.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

It doesn't seem to have worked, but I really appreciate you trying. :)
  • merisaOct3
    Options
    Please use this topic to post recipes that are both low calorie and relatively low fat. I realize there are many websites with these, but it is great to see ones in which people have tried, enjoy, and eat somewhat regularly. :)

You're welcome to friend me and look through my diary. I cook at home a lot. I also use the recipe builder tool on this site to determine my nutritional info.

Some of my recipes: Bison Zucchini Shepherd's Pie, Lemongrass Basil Chicken Stir Fry, Grilled Shrimp with Mango Salsa, Southwest Quinoa Salad, Lightened Up Artichoke Spinach Dip, Veggie/Bacon/Goat Cheese Omelet

Those websites often have user reviews, too. Also check out Pinterest if you haven't already. Lots of awesome recipes get pinned.
  • S_Murphree
    Options

dec182013028_zpsd258fec7.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

It doesn't seem to have worked, but I really appreciate you trying. :)

I will keep trying. I haven't given up yet. LOL...
  • merisaOct3
    Options
    Best Ever Blueberry Cobbler
    2014-06-15130832.jpg
    http://wickedgoodkitchen.com/best-ever-blueberry-cobbler-gluten-free-option/

Chicken Pepper and Mushroom Fajitas with Refried Beans
    2014-04-07185456.jpg
    No recipe. This was what I was talking about when I suggested picking a lean protein, learning to use spices and herbs, and piling on the extra veggies. Weigh everything. There's an awesome thread floating around with great ideas about weighing recipes so you can evenly divide portions.
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I have been really into some easy staples lately, here are a few!

Banana Pancakes: mash one banana well and mix with two eggs. Cook and serve as you would pancakes - delicious and healthy!

Quesadilla - not a recipe per se but an awesome satisfying healthy meal. I use a flour tortilla and always cheese, and add either canned refried beans (surprisingly low in fat and cals), or cooked chicken breast. Smoked tofu is great here too.

BAS - Big *kitten* Salad. I love a huge (like 6 or 7 cups) bowl of greens (green leaf lettuce, romaine and spinach are favorites), and any combination of carefully weighed or measured cheese, lean meat, garbanzo beans, dressing, nuts, dried fruit, crunchy salad toppers

My favorite BAS right now is buffalo chicken: loads of green leaf lettuce, sprinkle in some apple cider vinegar and dot in a tablespoon of mayonnaise. Top with 2 or 3oz of shredded full fat cheddar. In a separate bowl toss a quarter cup of pre cooked chicken (shredded, cubed, whatever) with Frank's wing sauce and throw that on the salad. If you can get your hands on Fresh Gourmet tortilla strips salad topper, a bunch of that on top is incredible. If you don't have the strips, three or four tortilla chips would do. So satisfying!

Pita or tortilla pizza - pita bread and tortillas make awesome light pizza crusts. Just measure your toppings well and you can have a super satisfying pizza meal.
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    #1 - Salad I have been eating the last few weeks for dinner (I live alone...and I am not bored by the same food... tend to find a recipe I like and eat it for a few weeks and then pick another one for dinner... same with lunch).

Warm Spinach Salad (This is one serving about 500 calories)

07efc0e1-092c-4086-9983-0b575f11038b_zpsda597a88.jpg?t=1408985048

3 cups fresh spinach
    3oz sweet potato
    2 sliced of thin cut bacon
    5-6oz of rotisserie chicken
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1.5 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
    1/4 cup red onion

1. Add 3 cups of spinach to a large bowl with 1/4 cup of thinly sliced red onion.
    2. Pour over spinach... 1.5 tablespoon of balsamic and 1/2 tablespoon of olive and toss.
    3. In a hot pan warm the bacon (I use Hormel precooked bacon because it is easy) until it gets crispy. Crumble and add to spinach.
    4. Cut in fourths,and then thin;y slice sweet potatoes into triangles. I cook them in a ZIPLOC steamer bag for about 1 minute and then add them to a hot pan with 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil and some Salt and pepper. Cook until they get a little brown. Pour on top of spinach.
    5. Cut up the chicken into small cubes and place in the same hot pan. Add salt and pepper to taste (I use red pepper because I like some spice)...Once a little browned pour over spinach and other ingredients. Toss and serve.

#2 - Dried Pineapple snack.

1. Take one large pineapple. Cut off outer shell. Cut in half and take out core. Cut in slices about 1/8" thick. Place on a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Don't let them touch. Bake at 185* F for 7 hours. THEY ARE AWESOME. Just did this for the first time yesterday and I am in heaven.

340b3f06-0e02-4705-97c6-dcb22c2be19d_zpsa02a2c28.jpg?t=1408984948
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Believe it or not you can eat any food and lose weight thus all foods fall under weight loss foods. And rid yourself of the notion of "healthy" foods in favor of trying to create a healthy overall diet, since you don't eat foods in a vacuum there needs to how they fit into the context of your overall diet