Diet Recipes Only

Options

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Best Ever Blueberry Cobbler
    2014-06-15130832.jpg
    http://wickedgoodkitchen.com/best-ever-blueberry-cobbler-gluten-free-option/

Chicken Pepper and Mushroom Fajitas with Refried Beans
    2014-04-07185456.jpg
    No recipe. This was what I was talking about when I suggested picking a lean protein, learning to use spices and herbs, and piling on the extra veggies. Weigh everything. There's an awesome thread floating around with great ideas about weighing recipes so you can evenly divide portions.

The fajitas thing looks really good, do you just pan fry everything until it's cooked to your desired tenderness (and obviously thoroughly cook the chicken)? I'm gluten-free (not for weight loss) and GF tortilla/fajita wraps are usually pretty dry and blah. This looks worth eating on top of rice!

Do you find corn tortillas dry? I know they are often not labelled GF, but most authentic straight up corn tortillas will be gluten free, and if you can find some that are freshly made they are incredibly tender when prepared properly. I do find that a little oil helps a lot with that. I just brush my hot cast iron frying pan with a slick of oil, then pan fry the tortillas 30-45 seconds on each side. My hubs is gluten free (also not for weight loss, he's not celiac but gets pretty sick when he eats wheat more than just a bit once every week or two).
    hm, not sure. I can't remember if the types we've bought in the past were corn or just some other random GF alternative. I will have to look at my local grocery store and see if they sell just corn tortillas and see if the texture is good! Will also try the oil trick, thanks!
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Those oven fries sound awesome!

I made the fries tonight after being inspired by the recipe posted on today's MFP blog: http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/2014/08/baked-zucchini-sticks/

I cut the summer squash into sticks, salted and drained them for about 30 minutes, and then wiped them dry. I coated them with a whole beaten egg (because I hate to waste the yolk) and tossed 'em in some seasoned bread crumbs and freshly grated parmesan. Then I scattered them on an old baking sheet I covered with parchment paper and baked them for 35 minutes at 425F.

On the other shelf of the oven were a couple boneless loin pork chops, cooking in some homemade ersatz marinara sauce in a brownie pan covered with foil. I sub butternut squash and roasted red peppers for the tomatoes in the sauce because we can't eat tomatoes. I try to make the sauce often enough so I always have some in the freezer to throw on a pizza or whatever.

Great ideas! Thank you so much!

I haven't had great luck with oven fries in the past, I wonder if the salt + rest trick is the key.
  • BlueLileigh
    BlueLileigh Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the recommendation for the recipe website!:smile:
  • nicailyzee
    nicailyzee Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I have found that a little goes a long way you don't need a block of cheese, 100 croutons, pint of ice cream etc to be satisfied. I was on the kick of let me try low fat this or low fat that but have found that they have more sugar and salt in them than just eating less of the regular fat items. Try more whole foods. Realistically you can slow down on eating certain foods but IF you are never planning on eating them again be prepared to be confronted with them. If you have not prepared yourself and become armed with the tool of moderation it will be tough. I am a work in progress! I think what everyone is trying to tell you is moderation. I have not eaten McDonald's in weeks or months but I had some today and less of what I would usually order. Using the low calorie, "diet" websites is possibly your best bet because as I have seen on here most people that loose successfully fit in what others consider non diet foods but they do it with their long term lifestyle in mind. Good Luck!
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I really love to make this chicken recipe... Mediterranean Lemon Chicken. :smile:

It's 106 calories per drumstick, and I leave the skin on as well. It's very delicious!! :love:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Mediterranean-Lemon-Chicken/Detail.aspx?evt19=1
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I have "sometimes" foods. Like Cookie Monster from Sesame Street. Nothing is a no, but certain things are not for everyday.

I hate recipes, and prefer simple quick meals that are low in fat and high in fiber, and are cheap as well.

I crockpot soups a lot, I eat canned and cooked from dry beans a lot, and I prefer to base all my meals on a starch, noodles/rice/bread/potatoes/tortillas.

I don't eat much meat, but I do have some in the course of a week. I choose lean meats, and eat small portions. Tilapia, boneless skinless chicken breast, canned fish, eggs. Ground venison meat once or twice a month.

I eat some dairy, but keep it a small part of my overall diet. I also choose reduced fat/skim varieties.

I poach/sauté in water not oil/bake/crock pot my food. No pan frying in oil, no deep frying.

I've last 55lbs, chillin' at goal now.

I cannot eat much dietary fat/oil without serious GERD issues, so that explains the whole no oils thing. I measure my fats out and use 'em sparingly.
  • phyllb
    phyllb Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Have both decreased my volumes and am trying to eat healthier
    For example. Make turkey meatballs instead of beef; using diced hearts of palm from can with its vinagarette as salad base then add red peppers, onions, corn niblets-really whatever u enjoy
    Disagree with previous as my whole family are enjoying these news ways prepping food and we will continue using them
    Grill instead of frying, dry rubs instead of sauces,,,,,,this is lifestyle choices not just diet

Let us know what u are looking for and we will help
  • jstewa40
    jstewa40 Posts: 27
    Options
    There are plenty of topics for all the junk food and/or fattening food you can desire. Please do not post pictures of these things in this topic. It is not cute, funny, or nice. While it may be true that you can lose weight eating anything, some of us want to be healthy and thus only eat healthy foods while actively trying to lose weight. I may have a treat of some of these foods once reaching my goal weight once in awhile, in moderation but do not want them now. Let's be adults and respect this topic by only posting pictures and recipes of healthy foods. Thank you. I hope that some people can benefit from this forum topic... To each their own... Just keep it out of this topic please.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of topics for all the junk food and/or fattening food you can desire. Please do not post pictures of these things in this topic. It is not cute, funny, or nice. While it may be true that you can lose weight eating anything, some of us want to be healthy and thus only eat healthy foods while actively trying to lose weight. I may have a treat of some of these foods once reaching my goal weight once in awhile, in moderation but do not want them now. Let's be adults and respect this topic by only posting pictures and recipes of healthy foods. Thank you. I hope that some people can benefit from this forum topic... To each their own... Just keep it out of this topic please.

What makes a food fattening and what makes a food healthy?
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options

I'm surprised that you seem confused about what the OP is saying. They requested that this thread (if you read back) be for those recipes that lean towards the lower end of calories and fats. Recipes that posters feel are the "healthier" ones in their arsenal. I understand that some people need to debate and be contrarian, but is it always necessary?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

I'm surprised that you seem confused about what the OP is saying. They requested that this thread (if you read back) be for those recipes that lean towards the lower end of calories and fats. Recipes that posters feel are the "healthier" ones in their arsenal. I understand that some people need to debate and be contrarian, but is it always necessary?

Perhaps you should read back;

"I figured I may get a reply such as this when writing it, but I just wanted to keep it as a general "diet". What I really meant was, I don't want to see recipes or pictures of cake, bacon, and/or other foods that are not considered weight loss food items. Basically, I am eating healthy foods which would obviously exclude most fast foods, fried foods (except in olive oil), sugary deserts, junk food, processed foods, pop, candy, non lean meats, full fat dairy products, etc. Anything considered healthy is fine, even if it is full fat items, as they can easily be changed for people like me who choose not to eat them right now. "

She was then told that all foods fit the criteria of weight loss foods and also to rid herself of the notion of healthy foods with no regards in how they fit into the context of her total diet. Again depending on the context of said food, it could be perfectly healthy.

So if someone posts a fruit and yogurt parfait recipe would she say that is unhealthy since it is sugary?
  • mariannekehl
    mariannekehl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    This is a really difficult post to comment on. Everyone has different ideas of what "diet" means. Some people require or prefer low sodium recipes. Others low fat. If you want specific recipes (i.e. a lot of bulk for low cal/low fat), you might want to specify.

For me, I would recommend starting with the Weight Watchers Turn Around Program Cookbook. There are some great recipes in there. I was on WW about 10 years ago, and some of those recipes are still go-tos (i.e. white chicken chili). Cooking Light also has a lot of good recipes. And a number of websites provide the nutritional information for the recipe. Using the Recipe Tool here on MFP is a great way to figure out the nutritional info for your own recipes and modify them as needed.

It's not so much about the specific recipes - it's about cooking in an entirely different manner - focus on a lean protein and a LOT of veggies. Think about what could satisfy you that might be a lower cal/lower fat option than what you're use to eating. I personally try to stay away from "light" or "fat free" versions of things (because they're not as satisfying and have more sugar, typically), but some folks modify recipes with LF/FF ingredients. Keep following the recipe board, because there are a lot of great recipes that may work for you.

Good luck!

^^^ THIS! Weight Watchers has some fabulous recipes. Also feel free to check out my diary - I have a couple of pretty good (I think) recipes that I use over and over.

• jstewa40
    Options
    I did not make this topic in the forum to offend anyone, so I am sorry if I did. However, as another poster mentioned, I did explain myself further in a follow up post, stating that I am referring to healthy foods, such as those that are low in fat and/or calories. I think most adults know what is meant by healthy foods which are eaten when trying to lose weight. I did not join this site or create this topic to be treated how I feel I am being treated and to see or create drama. Hopefully, this clears up any further confusion. P.S. A parfait made with nonfat yogurt, fresh fruit, and Nature Valley crunchy honey and oats granola is perfectly healthy and will help with weight loss... Consider that my first recipe in this forum topic. :)
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I did not make this topic in the forum to offend anyone, so I am sorry if I did. However, as another poster mentioned, I did explain myself further in a follow up post, stating that I am referring to healthy foods, such as those that are low in fat and/or calories. I think most adults know what is meant by healthy foods which are eaten when trying to lose weight. I did not join this site or create this topic to be treated how I feel I am being treated and to see or create drama. Hopefully, this clears up any further confusion. P.S. A parfait made with nonfat yogurt, fresh fruit, and Nature Valley crunchy honey and oats granola is perfectly healthy and will help with weight loss... Consider that my first recipe in this forum topic. :)

But see that is the problem, why is full fat yogurt not healthy?? Fat is something your body needs. Also because a food is higher in calorie does not make it unhealthy. No one is offended except for maybe you, but people are trying to help you understand that comments like this: "I think most adults know what is meant by healthy foods which are eaten when trying to lose weight" I eat all the same things I have always eaten, just smaller portions of them, my health has improved greatly, and my lost weight.

Also when you post a thread in a public forum you will get differing viewpoints. But good luck to you
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

I think you should eat what you want to eat. But, I am curious. Why the low fat? What is it about fat that concerns you any more than, say, protein or carbs?
  • jstewa40
    Options

But see that is the problem, why is full fat yogurt not healthy?? Fat is something your body needs. Also because a food is higher in calorie does not make it unhealthy. No one is offended except for maybe you, but people are trying to help you understand that comments like this: "I think most adults know what is meant by healthy foods which are eaten when trying to lose weight" I eat all the same things I have always eaten, just smaller portions of them, my health has improved greatly, and my lost weight.

Also when you post a thread in a public forum you will get differing viewpoints. But good luck to you

I never said that full fat yogurt was not healthy. I simply feel that low fat will help to shed the weight faster. That is just my opinion. I also said (if you read back) that posting recipes with full fat in this topic was perfectly fine as someone who chooses not to eat full fat products can swap it for a low fat option. That is all... :)
  • _BearNecessities_
    _BearNecessities_ Posts: 432 Member
    Options

I never said that full fat yogurt was not healthy. I simply feel that low fat will help to shed the weight faster. That is just my opinion. I also said (if you read back) that posting recipes with full fat in this topic was perfectly fine as someone who chooses not to eat full fat products can swap it for a low fat option. That is all... :)

It's also wrong. Low fat does not necessarily equal low calorie. Open your mind to some education by people who have been where you are and are where you are trying to go. You may just learn something that helps you.
  • jstewa40
    Options
    Also, low fat products tend to have less calories. I do think they have more sodium though. So I guess it is all in what YOU want to have more of in your diet. I choose to have less fat, and to do the low sodium option of other items when possible such as:nuts, beans, etc. Please, no more questioning my intentions as I created this topic with only the best of intentions. Please only post low calorie and/or low fat recipes under this topic. No one has to post or look at this topic if they do not like it... As for me, I will continue to look at all of the topics to get ideas. I just hate having to weed through all the cake and other goodies is all, which is why I created this topic. I hope that at least some people can understand where I am coming from and what I meant by HEALTHY WEIGHT LOSS recipes/pictures. I look forward to seeing more recipes here... :)
  • jstewa40
    Options
    Taco Salad

3 ounces per serving 95% (or more) lean ground beef
    taco seasoning
    water
    lettuce or fresh spinach
    diced tomato
    diced onion
    1/4 cup corn per serving
    1/4 cup black beans
    1/4 cup low fat shredded cheese
    salsa

put lettuce on plate/in bowl
    add drained taco meat (lean ground beef and taco seasoning)
    add salsa
    add other veggies and beans
    add cheese
    Enjoy!

You can add low fat/fat free sour cream if you like and/or a light to fat free dressing, but I eat mine as is without the additions. Calories may vary depending on how much lettuce you use and/or if you add any of the additions. I put most of my ingredients in separately when documenting my food for the day.