How Acceptable Is It For A Grown Adult...

Options

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I get what OP is saying. I am always reading opinions in magazine that "you shouldn't shop in jr type stores" but people counter that they like the fit or some such. I think you can wear what you want, as long as you wear it well.

Having said that, should older women or men wear long hair styles? Sometimes that's worse than young looking clothes!
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    to shop at places hot topic

= as acceptable as it is for a grown woman to wear skull earrings and batman underwear \m/
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

= as acceptable as it is for a grown woman to wear skull earrings and batman underwear \m/

soooo... entirely appropriate? :drinker:
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    The question really isn't whether or not the store is appropriate but whether or not the clothes they are wearing are appropriate. However, I don't think you can really judge someone based on their clothing. I'm 38 and a t-shirt and jeans/shorts w/ flip flops almost all year long. I have a good job, kids, wife, etc but I like my style it's comfy. I refuse to grow up and would pretty much shop in any store. The only judgment I hold is when a dude wears skinny jeans. THAT IS EFFING RIDICULOUS! Sorry, sorry.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Completely unacceptable.

Once you turn 30, you must wear mom jeans. And if you're 40, mom jeans and gauchos. And turtlenecks.

Them's the rules.

I'm 43 and I have no idea what gauchos are.:blushing: Where, in my life, have I gone wrong???:sad:
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    Sounds to me like OP might be just a bit upset/jealous that she can't shop at those places and, therefore, attempts to look down upon those who can and/or do.

OP, why do you care where other people shop? Just take care of yourself, mind your own business and shut the.....front door. :flowerforyou:

I don't think that we can really deduce that OP's upset or jealous about that or even that she can't / doesn't shop there.
    She is on my FL, so I suspect that she's probably just asking - perhaps because someone else made a comment to her IRL or something.
  • Smirnoff65
    Smirnoff65 Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    For the first time in more years than I care to remember I can wear whatever I want so all those shops I always walked past....not anymore, I have even started wearing my 16 year old sons t-shirts just to annoy him and because I can :laugh: :laugh:
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options

soooo... entirely appropriate? :drinker:

yeah you get me

I wanted to lead with the punk/nerd foot
    not the kneesocks and fishnets one :devil: :drinker:
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    People should be able to shop wherever they want.

I shop where I find the best deals, don't care which store it is.
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    I get what OP is saying. I am always reading opinions in magazine that "you shouldn't shop in jr type stores" but people counter that they like the fit or some such. I think you can wear what you want, as long as you wear it well.

Having said that, should older women or men wear long hair styles? Sometimes that's worse than young looking clothes!

LOL wat?
    I think you should have stopped with "as long as you wear it well"
  • brewinggirl_butskinnier
    Options

Of course not.
    As soon as you turn 30, you must have have football helmet hair.
  • brewinggirl_butskinnier
    Options
    Completely unacceptable.

Once you turn 30, you must wear mom jeans. And if you're 40, mom jeans and gauchos. And turtlenecks.

Them's the rules.

I'm 43 and I have no idea what gauchos are.:blushing: Where, in my life, have I gone wrong???:sad:

Dang you're lucky...that must have happened between '70 and '71 lol
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    to shop at places like weathervane, hot topic, forever21, Aero, etc ? Clothing places where their teens / young adult kids would normally buy from.

Aside from Weathervane since there's none around where I live I shop at Hot Topic (mostly for costumes) and Forever21. Actually I just went to the mall today and bought a bunch of cute stuff from Forever21.

But then again I also buy and wear clothes from Yandy and Wicked Temptations.

Just because you are a certain age does not mean you can't wear clothes for "younger" people. If they fit and they look nice then wear them. I mean what should someone at of a certain age -- and what is that age? -- wear? Slacks? Turtle necks? Stout and sturdy shoes? Pearls?

I can't stand the fashion that is geared towards women my age because they're frumpy and ugly. I like the fashion that I find in the Forever21's, junior section of Macy's etc.
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Completely unacceptable.

Them's the rules.

You forgot to add necklaces with pendants the size of shoes, matching dangly earrings and bracelet sets.

(Not that any of these alone are bad, but matchy matchy is very grandmotherly.)
  • DamePiglet
    Options

Of course not.
    As soon as you turn 30, you must have have football helmet hair.

Absolutely!
    Just LOOK at this transformation...

Before Q-tip cut: Old and frumpy:
    mature_women_long_hairstyle.jpg

After:
    article-2217338-157C8BAC000005DC-321_306x423.jpg

MAGIC!
  • blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Same as everyone else, shop where you want! Who cares where or what you buy. As long as it fits,, even if it doesnt-- if you want it, buy it! I personally go to those places to find stuff for my kids at christmas time, they have the best selection of the latest thing they are in to,,, ie- MLP for my 5 yr old, but my husband and I get some great super hero stuff from those places too!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I haven't read any of the other responses. I wanna be clear that I do not sit around judging the crap out of people who are older and wear all of this stuff.

I buy juniors clothing from department stores if it's a style I like, fits well, and is affordable. I see no issue with that at all. I own things from Forever 21 and probably 60% of my clothes purchased from Target came from the juniors section. I've got a couple of DELiA*s skirts and other such things and I'm totally okay with that at age 37 because I don't think any of the specific styles I choose *SCREAM* juniors. You can find similar items in the ladies/misses sections, in most cases. The only exceptions would be a pale grey sweater with tiny bunnies all over it (they just look like fuzzy little dots from afar) or a retro styled dress with a Peter Pan collar and I chose those because it suits my personal style and while you could probably find certain things in a much more fashion-forward higher end store w/o a juniors label, I'm cheap!

Would I wear a hoodie that said Aeropostale or Hollister on it? Not a chance! Pink glittery yoga pants with a sports team logo? No. A Nightmare Before Christmas shirt from Hot Topic with black/white checkerboard leggings? Nope. But I'm sure there are some people 25 or even 45+ who rock that stuff. I'd just feel absurd, myself. AGAIN I don't mean that as a judgment that other people shouldn't wear it happily.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    i shop at osh kosh begosh
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    Options
    As far as I am concerned, no store is off-limits. If it carries my size, I will give it a shot. But I do think once you have passed a certain age, you have to pick and choose wisely. There are items at Forever 21 and similar stores that I would feel ridiculous wearing at 45. But for inexpensive trendy items and disposable basics (things like tees and tanks that I don't expect to last more than a season or two), there are certainly deals to be had. My best-fitting jeans are from American Eagle, which is geared to a younger consumer than myself. I can't bear to shop at Abercrombie and Fitch because I can't stand the cologne stench of their stores (and because their CEO is a douche).

And speaking of Osh Kosh B'Gosh...that's where the pink tutu pajamas in one of my profile pics are from. I didn't actually buy them for myself, but my two nieces got them. Just because you can fit into children's clothes doesn't mean you should wear them.
  • MelpomeneTears
    MelpomeneTears Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, I think most people worry too much about what other people think. If you're comfortable wear it. Life is to short not to grab on any piece of happiness you find, including wearing whatever you want.