What looked so good, but turned out to taste horrible

Options

Replies

• 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Baked avocado. :(
    Baked...really?!?
    Mashed, pureed, chopped, sliced etc but baked?!?
    Never heard of it!
    Spoonbread is my NO! :sick:
    "Although named a "bread", spoonbread is closer in consistency and taste to many savory puddings, such as Yorkshire pudding. As made by some recipes, spoonbread is similar to a cornmeal soufflé, although typical Southern recipes do not involve whipping the eggs to incorporate air."
    Theres nothing "savory" about it...its plain, boring and gritty textured :ohwell:
  • shankasaurus
    shankasaurus Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I love avocados and I love eggs, so I was sure I would love the egg baked in an avocado that I saw floating around everywhere. No. Not good. Soooo disappointing. Ate it anyway. Still love them separately, won't eat them together.
  • 2BeHappy2
    Options
    Regular cow's milk. It was forced on me as a kid. Now it makes me gag. I can now only use coconut or almond milk. LOVE LOVE LOVE
    We were raised on goats milk because my youngest brother couldn't tolerate cows milk as an infant.
    I absolutely HATE it and would act like it was Christmas going to friends to be able to drink cows milk :happy:
    Now as an adult Im lactose intolerant...all those great yrs wasted on drinking icky stuff :sick:
    So heres to Almond Milk...Love it :love: !
  • mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    sushi... I think it looks so pretty and like it should taste amazing and yet just cant get myself to eat it, its cold raw fish...ew.

Haha great minds think alike!

Sushi is the one thing that I will never, ever eat again. Homemade or not. :sick: Yuck! Raw fish with rice and other things... No way. I'm sticking to my COOKED food. :)
  • mcpostelle
    Options
    grits.

Agreed. I absolutely despise grits. Grits = :noway:
  • mzfrizz15
    mzfrizz15 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    My "NO" foods:
    1. Oysters. I get very ill every time I try to eat them, doesn't matter how they're prepared. (Yeah, even deep fried ones.)
    2. Brussel sprouts. A nasty smell that makes me gag. Also, a nasty after taste that clouds over the taste of everything else for the next 2 hours, even after a palate cleanser. No thanks!
    3. Olives. See #2.
  • mcpostelle
    Options
    All smoothies with banana in. I cannot stand bananas... the taste, the texture the smell all combine just to make the most horrific foodstuff.... I can't even watch someone eat one, and if I see someone mashing one my stomach just rises... ergh.

And they a staple in smoothies :noway:

YEA! :happy: I'm not alone in this! I love fruit, but I cannot stand bananas. :sick: Even when I see someone log it on their food diary I have to pretend it doesn't exist. I love mangos and there was a mango smoothie... it had bananas in it and pineapples (which I hate too) I spat it out and had to drink about a gallon of water to get the taste out of my mouth.
  • mcpostelle
    Options
    Chocolate chip cookies made with quinoa flour. They were like cookie taffy. They made excellent dog treats.

I thought dogs can't eat chocolate?? o.O

They can't. It makes them really sick. Not a fun thing to watch.
  • 2BeHappy2
    Options
    My "NO" foods:
    1. Oysters. I get very ill every time I try to eat them, doesn't matter how they're prepared. (Yeah, even deep fried ones.)
    2. Brussel sprouts. A nasty smell that makes me gag. Also, a nasty after taste that clouds over the taste of everything else for the next 2 hours, even after a palate cleanser. No thanks!
    3. Olives. See #2.
    To me Brussels Sprouts smell like sweaty socks....eeewww! No thanks!!
  • GettingBack2Fabulous
    Options
    Hummus! I really thought I would like it cuz I eat and have tried a lot of strange and healthy thing but I just can not do hummus yuck!!
  • countscalories
    countscalories Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    The strawberry cheesecake I made with cauliflower.

The cauliflower crust pizza I made was great, so I thought, "How bad could a cheesecake be?" How bad was it? It was bad. It was very bad. It was so bad that when the raccoons got into the garbage pail in my backyard, they ate everything but the cheesecake. They left it on the patio. Untouched. Even a rainstorm couldn't break down this thing's molecular structure. But it did look great when I took it out of the oven! Another culinary adventure goes awry: two hours of prep/baking followed by the two-second dash to get it out of the house. Please feel free to send me a message if you want the recipe...

PS-- If you ever encounter the recipe for Sweet Cauliflower Waffles, you may want to steer clear. The smell was a cross between burned tranny fluid and salami (and it took 4 hours to clean the waffle iron).
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Wasa Multigrain crackers. I've heard the phrase "like eating cardboard" a million times...this was the one item that truly was like eating cardboard.
  • ElliInJapan
    ElliInJapan Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Liver & onions. I don't like liver, and my ex once tried to cook it with onions to cover up the taste. It smelled wonderful, it looked wonderful but it still tasted like liver. It's a pity, I think that's the one thing I can't get to eat.
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Polenta. With it's rich golden colour, it looked so nice; tasted crap. Or rather, it didn't really taste of anything. I didn't like the texture either. That was a big disappointment!

I have a coeliac friend who takes issue with polenta too. The stuff that is fashioned into supposed 'chips' aggrieve her the most. I don't mind it when it's the mush at the side of the plate with a knob of butter and some parmesan. The stuff you buy all stuck together and then fry/roast, not so much.

A coeliac shouldn't have any problem with polenta, it's usually just corn and water. If she bought pre-packaged polenta chips, maybe they contained gluten for some reason, or there is a contamination risk where they were made. To be fair, I really should've expected not to like polenta since I don't like corn, lol. XD

Oh, I meant she hates it, not that she can't eat it. She just ends up being offered it a lot in places and thinks it sucks.

Ah, I mistook you, sorry. Yeah I don't blame her, it's gross no matter where you get it from, lol!
    Olives. Since I was a kid I just loved the look of olives. My dad and big sis used to eat them and I would be jealous. I've tried them multiple times but no matter how old I get they are as gross as ever.

Same, utterly vile things!
  • 2bassets
    2bassets Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Yogurt.....any kind. Ugh
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    The strawberry cheesecake I made with cauliflower.

The cauliflower crust pizza I made was great, so I thought, "How bad could a cheesecake be?" How bad was it? It was bad. It was very bad. It was so bad that when the raccoons got into the garbage pail in my backyard, they ate everything but the cheesecake. They left it on the patio. Untouched. Even a rainstorm couldn't break down this thing's molecular structure. But it did look great when I took it out of the oven! Another culinary adventure goes awry: two hours of prep/baking followed by the two-second dash to get it out of the house. Please feel free to send me a message if you want the recipe...

PS-- If you ever encounter the recipe for Sweet Cauliflower Waffles, you may want to steer clear. The smell was a cross between burned tranny fluid and salami (and it took 4 hours to clean the waffle iron).

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I actually can't think of anything. Things that were disappointing, yeah, but tasted really horrible, nope. I mean, I can't stand olives or celery but they never looked good to me in the first place.
  • thesugarcoma
    thesugarcoma Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Goat's cheese. i want to love it, I really do. My in-laws are always serving it.

It just tastes like old dirt to me :(

Oh and coffee. I used to love it. I cant drink milk anymore and it turns out, i hate coffee black or with any type of "milk" that doesnt come from a cow.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Any kind of HUMMUS. Just tastes disgusting, and people keep saying it's good for you. EW.:noway:
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    My coffee...with unsweetened vanilla almond milk.

I love coffee. I love unsweetened vanilla almond milk.

Hate them together. Bleh.

I will sacrifice the cals for 2% milk. Seriously.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any Paleo dessert recipe...I made a faux pumpkin pie, with a garbanzo bean crust, don't ask. Added some canned pumpkin, mixed with tofu, maple syrup, really, I just should have not bothered. And it really did not look that good either.

Makeover dessert recipe fail. Just eat some strawberries.