Moderation DOES NOT WORK for me

Options

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    For those of you who genuinely believe you have addiction issues, stop wasting time on MFP and get yourself into a 12-step (or etc) program.

If you aren't going to take your "addiction" seriously, you can be damn sure random strangers on an internet forum aren't going to take it seriously.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    but people INTERPRET it that way, and you can't control someone's interpretation.

Absolutely and I'm not here to be his friend and coddle him. I see excuses, I'll call him out for said excuses in an effort to help him. If he perceives me as captain D bag and then decides lives out the rest of his life without self control that's out of my power.

The thing is, with weight loss, calling someone out instead of offering alternatives is often discouraging and is likely to be the opposite of helpful, are you trying to help or just here to point out control issues.

Everyone who is overweight has problems with self control, how else did we get this way, we KNOW we have control issues, the reason we come online for help and start doing something about it is because we need SUGGESTIONS on how to cope with our control issues

Shoebox Games -- you have to realize that the internet is a haven for sadists. They can be cruel without consequences. They can act like ****s to people because there are no repercussions. These folks get their jollies off this way. Sadly, MFP is not immune from this.

I'd like to think it's just a lack of understanding -- those that simply don't understand that honesty and kindness are necessarily mutually exclusive. That they can deliver truths, even hard truths, with kindness, compassion and a genuine desire to help another. But they understand, they just don't care about hurting others. In fact, I think they enjoy it rather heartily. And they use honesty as their shield and justification for cruelty. There is something very sad and broken about such folks.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I love these threads, man.

When there is free bread on the table at a restaurant, I can't stop eating it. Therefore, I am addicted to bread.

Say what?

You try that bread at Red Lobster?

their food is ****e, but I'll go there time and again for those little devil rolls.
    Completely agree. Last time I we ate there 3 of us got sick.

But I would definitely break in at night to steal that bread. Fk........I'm addicted to their bread.

I haven't been there in a long time because I agree, the food is lackluster at best, but every time.... if they don't bring the biscuits out with the drinks we're like "Yo, what are we 2nd class citizens??"

Haha cheesy garlic biscuits allllll day
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Telling someone to "Just get over it, you are in control" doesnt help. THat type of statement puts someone instantly on the defensive. Suggestions are helpful, blanket statements like "don't make excuses" just make people defensive

It's especially not helpful for people who have addiction tendencies.

Many people, myself included, can moderate with most items but have to abstain from particular foods. I can eat 10 french fries and stop, for example, and not think of french fries for another two weeks. But if I get a cookie or any other sweet/chocolatey/fatty treat into my system something shorts out and I HAVE to eat another. It instantly becomes an obsession, and trying to "control" it only makes it worse.

I tried moderating with sweet treats for 10 long years and finally realized/admitted that I have a problem with those kinds of foods. I'm totally comfortable with skipping the cookie now that I know this. I do not feel restricted, obsessed, deprived, and I have zero cravings. I grieved it and moved on. It is now almost three years later since I started abstaining from those foods.

I am now grateful, instead, to be happy, healthy, obsession-free, and I enjoy being a size 4-6 as opposed to a 14-16 (pushing my way into 18's). You gotta do what works for you. One size does NOT fit all.

I'm glad that restriction was a solution to your compulsive overeating of sweets, but that doesn't mean you or anyone else is addicted to food.

You are certainly free to believe what you like about addiction. I only care about those who identify with what I'm talking about - they understand, even if you don't. Good day.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    For those of you who genuinely believe you have addiction issues, stop wasting time on MFP and get yourself into a 12-step program.

If you aren't going to take your "addiction" seriously, you can be damn sure random strangers on an internet forum aren't going to take it seriously.

WORD!
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion, but I don't see much of a distinction between the control involved with moderation and the control involved with restricting food types. If you have problems with eating certain foods in moderation, it seems like you'll probably just eventually crack if you try to restrict junk food into oblivion.

Also telling someone they need more control is sort of pointless if they feel like it's impossible. Whether or not they're wrong is sort of irrelevant at that point.

On high level it's pretty simple. Energy in and energy out. If someone feels like they don't have the ability to control the Energy In portion of that, then that's that. While you *can* simultaneously want to lose weight, and feel like you can't, you should probably recognize how non-productive that is. The unstoppable force has met the immovable object. To get out of the paradox, some variable will have to shift. If you "can't" control yourself, and you can't control your environment, try a new environment or find some sort of personal growth.

No judgement. No shame. No "suck it up" comments. No coddling. No tough love. It's all about honest priorities. If people construct scenarios that make it "impossible" to succeed, then perhaps it's time to construct a new scenario. Again, I realize it's not easy.
  • Brandolin11
    Options
    For those of you who genuinely believe you have addiction issues, stop wasting time on MFP and get yourself into a 12-step program.

I'd advise to do it all. :wink: Spend time here on MFP, get in a 12-step program, AND take your addiction seriously. See a nutritionist. See a therapist. Do it all. Just because it makes some people on here uncomfortable doesn't mean you can't be on here. I have several friends on here who are in the same boat. MFP is a wonderful support tool. But yes, you do need people with skin on as well. :smile:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Telling someone to "Just get over it, you are in control" doesnt help. THat type of statement puts someone instantly on the defensive. Suggestions are helpful, blanket statements like "don't make excuses" just make people defensive

It's especially not helpful for people who have addiction tendencies.

Depends. It can be, if the person is in a certain state of mind, IMO. I'm someone who always does better realizing that I can make choices that lead to better outcomes, and if one of those choices is put a cork in it and take advantage of the support that's out there, realizing that and realizing that I do have the power to make that choice is a MUCH better frame of mind than telling myself (and being enabled by others) that I can't help it. People CAN help it.

Now, the question is what strategy ultimately works, and avoiding temptation certainly can be an important part of it for a while, but I get frustrated that so many here seem so eager to tell people that they really can't help it, that they don't have control of their choices. I mean, let's go back to the initial post--it was a litany of excuses as to why the OP could not eat less or better. Not merely the moderation thing, but her parents, she couldn't help but order pizza, etc. Again, sounds to me like she's just not ready (not that she has an addiction--and again, to what? pizza? that's absurd).

To go back to my naan example, which I think is actually more analogous to what people are talking about here than addiction, me saying "I CAN'T stop" is a tempting way to justify what I want to do in the moment, but of course I can stop. Also, it's a self fulfilling prophecy--telling yourself you can't not do something means you do it, pretty much always.

Anyway, back to moderation vs. elimination, if the pleasure I got from the one piece (or three) of naan and stopping was less than that from not eating any, then not eating any would be a better strategy, and I think that's sensible for people to consider when deciding what they want to eat. My personal way of handling this is to have naan only rarely (last time was the night before a long run) and then eat what I want.

Now, if someone were to tell me that the only way to prove self control was to eat a couple of bites of naan every night and stop, that would be silly too (but not because I'm a naan addict!). So for the same reason, sure, no one needs to include cookies or pizza or whatever in their regular diet if those are trigger foods for them, but I don't actually think that has a thing to do with the initial post.
  • mealprepping_fit4life
    Options
    I love food too! I realized that if I didn't have the temptation I wouldn't eat it but alas I have a family that eats as they want. So I had to have healthy alternatives in the house so if they are eating cake I can eat some sherbert, sorbet, or a sugar free popsicle. I bought them soda I bought diet soda for me and guess what they went through 4 cases and I have only drank 3 of my one case, After awhile you start thinking about eating healthy more and eating bad less.
    For instance I was starving a few moments ago and wanted to go out for lunch but my co-workers started talking about milkshakes and going to the food court at the neares mall. As we walked to the front I went into my office and shut my door. I instead opted on eating the healthy lunch instead of the junk they were opting for and I did a little dance. Cause I was proud of the choice I made not to be tempted.
    So now I will eat my bag of animal crackers 140 calories vs. the shake they are getting for about 600 calories and I feel good about it.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    but people INTERPRET it that way, and you can't control someone's interpretation.

Absolutely and I'm not here to be his friend and coddle him. I see excuses, I'll call him out for said excuses in an effort to help him. If he perceives me as captain D bag and then decides lives out the rest of his life without self control that's out of my power.

The thing is, with weight loss, calling someone out instead of offering alternatives is often discouraging and is likely to be the opposite of helpful, are you trying to help or just here to point out control issues.

Everyone who is overweight has problems with self control, how else did we get this way, we KNOW we have control issues, the reason we come online for help and start doing something about it is because we need SUGGESTIONS on how to cope with our control issues

Shoebox Games -- you have to realize that the internet is a haven for sadists. They can be cruel without consequences. They can act like ****s to people because there are no repercussions. These folks get their jollies off this way. Sadly, MFP is not immune from this.

I'd like to think it's just a lack of understanding -- those that simply don't understand that honesty and kindness are necessarily mutually exclusive. That they can deliver truths, even hard truths, with kindness, compassion and a genuine desire to help another. But they understand, they just don't care about hurting others. In fact, I think they enjoy it rather heartily. And they use honesty as their shield and justification for cruelty. There is something very sad and broken about such folks.

Telling someone that they do in fact have self control and that excuses are a crutch does not make me a sadist, and believe it or not I'm not getting any jollies from being straight forward and direct to the OP's problem.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

I'd advise to do it all. :wink: Spend time here on MFP, get in a 12-step program, AND take your addiction seriously. See a nutritionist. See a therapist. Do it all. Just because it makes some people on here uncomfortable doesn't mean you can't be on here.

Whether the addiction tag is justified or not, anyone who claims to have an addiction issue and is actively working on it is acting in a way that makes sense, and (not that they need it) those people deserve a modicum of respect.

It's the horde of wankers who self-identify as addicts and then proceed to use it as a justification for failure instead of doing something about it that get the brunt of mocking on here (and elsewhere). And MFP is littered with those....
  • leatrisgwi
    Options
    This is my first week and I filled the fridge with fruits and veggies. Gave the bread to my chickens and since I work at home have been staying put. The cravings are there and when sugar calls I have been eating frozen pineapple cubes. Yum! I don't think I can go to a store just yet. The pounds are starting to come off, and not being a water drinker - I feel a difference with my body and the 8 glasses of water (I used to drink soda and coffee instead). It is a head game for sure - and self-control is learned just like anything else for as each day goes by and the toxins are flushed out of my system my resolve is stronger.
  • Brandolin11
    Options
    Just my opinion, but I don't see much of a distinction between the control involved with moderation and the control involved with restricting food types. If you have problems with eating certain foods in moderation, it seems like you'll probably just eventually crack if you try to restrict junk food into oblivion.

I think this is why scientists are working so fervently to discover why some people seem to be able to moderate with sweet, fatty, and/or salty foods and other's obsess to the point of bingeing. The *theory* is that there is some kind of reaction happening in particular people's brains that is nearly identical to some people's reactions to alcohol or drugs. This has not been officially proven yet, but they are very close. I hope they figure it out soon.

Social scientists, therapists, and doctors do know for certain that compulsive overeaters are *reporting* the exact same symptoms, thoughts, obsessions, and behaviors as alcoholics, so they are currently *treating* compulsive overeating just like an addiction. They are finding the same rate of success with OA as they are with AA. This is significant, even if the science hasn't caught up with it yet.

I believe the reason people crack when they deny themselves their trigger foods is because they're approaching it from the wrong mental perspective. There is a big difference between denial and restriction, and abstinence.

Restricting produces obsession because it's a shaming action. You tell yourself over and over "I shouldn't I shouldn't I shouldn't". It causes your mind to fixate on the object. To find relief from the obsession, you must consummate the thought into an action, which turns into bingeing.

Abstinence is an action of *willingness* that follows a deep surrender to the fact that you have a problem. You choose not to eat those things because you realize they take over your mind and cause you to obsess and binge. You are willing to give them up and are grateful for the freedom that follows.

It's hard to explain it. But once you do it, it's amazing! I'm almost three years "clean and sober", if you will haha and am happier than I have ever been.

But that was MY journey and is NOT for everyone. :flowerforyou:
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I used to be a total binge eater I had no self control, will power or whatever you want to call it. When I started filling my days with healther choices I found that things got much better! There are a few things I did that people on here may agree or disagree with but I am putting it out there because it worked for me.
    First of all I used to eat low fat to no fat foods all the time. They are ok sometimes but your body needs some healthy fats and you will feel fuller longer. I now have mozerella cheese sticks (regular not reduced fat), yogurt (now for that I do most times do sugar free so it comes in at less calories but some days like today I have the regular kind. It's TOM and I know it will help to have it. I also enjoy eating a lot more fruits- apples are great and the go really good with a cheese stick! It is so much easier to say no to those processes junky carbs, pieces of cake in the office and at home, ect. when you are full of healthy proteins, fiber and fat. I hope this is of some help.
    And the great news is now I do have that occasional piece of cake or cookie but.... I key my days in MFP FIRST and make sure it fits and I now have this magical self control I have never had before because I am not straving for nutrients when I eat it. I can just have a slice and move on.

Good Luck! We are here for you.
  • Brandolin11
    Options
    It's the horde of wankers who self-identify as addicts and then proceed to use it as a justification for failure instead of doing something about it that get the brunt of mocking on here (and elsewhere). And MFP is littered with those....

There is a phrase we use in OA that says, "sweep your own side of the street". :smile:

One way to peace in this life is to understand that there are a lot of wankers in this world. They are hurting, or in denial, or abusers, or all manner of things. It isn't my job to label someone as a wanker or try to 'fix' them. I can pray for them and if they ask me for help I can try to help them (by meeting them where they are, not judging them, trying to hear what their real need is, speaking to them in a way they can "hear me", etc.) and they can take whatever advice I give and do what they want with it.

If they don't take my advice that is their prerogative. It can be frustrating, sure. But it is best to let them go. They make their own choices. Of course, I'll do all this in kindness, not shutting someone out.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    On the moderation vs. elimination issue, I think a lot of it has to do with the measure of pleasure of food vs. effort to get food. I remember this study a ways back that showed people snacking on a favorite food -- I think they did it with hersey's kisses. They placed them on the person's work desk, in the drawer of the desk and in a separate room (the kitchen of the work place). Not surprisingly, the folks who had them on their desk, ate the most. Those that had them in a separate room ate the least. And the one hidden in the drawer is in between. Seems like pretty common sense based results -- what you'd expect -- the ones that had to work the most for it, ate the least. And part of this was also hypothesized that the delay in getting the food made the people be more conscious of the choice -- did they really want a hershey kiss so bad that they had to get up to go get it?

I tend to opt for more elimination based strategy where I used healthier substitutes to satisfy cravings. So, I generally don't buy things that tempt me that aren't healthy alternatives. Because I can always drive to the store and buy something if I absolutely *NEED* it. But, you know what, in my entire life, I've never had a craving that was so strong, that I got into the car and drove to the store to buy it. I never said "hmmm I've got these strawberries right here, but I'm going to pass on those, drive to the store and buy the Ben & Jerry's." But, if I had both options at my fingertips, I'm sure the Ben & Jerry's would win out sometime, and perhaps even more than the strawberries.

So if a person struggles with this, why not make it easier on themselves and opt for an elimination-based strategy? As of yet, I've never gone on some crazy food binge for these *favorite foods*. I tend to do my grocery shopping when I'm not hungry and that seems to work fine for me in the self-control area -- and I just don't buy them.
  • astroophys
    astroophys Posts: 175 Member
    Options

There is a phrase we use in OA that says, "sweep your own side of the street". :smile:

One way to peace in this life is to understand that there are a lot of wankers in this world. They are hurting, or in denial, or abusers, or all manner of things. It isn't my job to label someone as a wanker or try to 'fix' them. I can pray for them and if they ask me for help I can try to help them and they can take whatever advice I give and do what they want with it.

If they don't take my advice that is their prerogative. It can be frustrating, sure. But it is best to let them go. They make their own choices.

I was hoping there was a thumbs up smiley for this! So, I will simply say I concur.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    It isn't my job to label someone as a wanker or try to 'fix' them.
    Nor is it mine.

Which is why I don't start the conversations.

:)

Cheers!
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    OK, I love me some junk food (pizza, wings, chips, sweets... ) and I used to think I was addicted to the food. But addiction is a strong word and I found that really I was just lazy. It's easier to order a pizza then to make one, it's easier to get drive-thru than to plan a better for me meal.

I'm not saying this is you but to me an addiction means if I go without there will be physical side effects like one would see with drugs and alcohol. I've never had the shakes because I didn't eat a sweet so again, I figured out that I'm just lazy :-)

What works for me now is to 1. Plan when I'm going to eat those foods (ToM, Picnics, Holidays, Special Occasions) and 2. Trying to stick to an 80/20 plan. I make smart choices 80% of the time and then 20% of the time, I can make not so smart choices. I have found that giving myself some room to have those things I really enjoy helps. I also find that I don't go overboard when I do have those foods. If I get a brownie now... I eat half. If I get chips, I pour a small bowl instead of sitting down with the bag.

Moderation is hard and a skill and takes some work but people think that moderation happens overnight. It doesn't. I still have days where I eat chips and dip for dinner followed by a donut. We are human though and those foods can have a big hold on us because they are comforting and tasty.

Give it time and Good luck!!