Moderation DOES NOT WORK for me

Options

Replies

• RedArizona5
    RedArizona5 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    The world is full of temptations, the only thing that stands between them and you is self control.
    Unfortunately that is the issue but you can get disclipined with some tricks..
    Do you like tea have some tea with your meal it will relax your intestines and you force you to eat slower and your mind will naturally know its had enough because how much time you spent sipping and eating slower. Are you a fast eater then practice. force yourself to intentionally chew food 10 times the minimum before you swallow. Our family taught me to eat fast and I retaught myself how to eat slower this way now my husband beats me every single time except twice and that was cause I was famished from working out really hard:)
    Try better quality healthy foods meaning really satisfying..can you make a chicken salad-everyone likes warm chicken in a salad full of veggies with avocado even some crackers or croutons. Whenever I have a salad at home I behave a lot easier :) and you can eat more of it depending how light you keep the dairy stuff within the salad. I love cheese so i always put cheese b/c its worth it to me to splurge a little that way instead of eating super greasy foods like onion rings…other than things like swapping food for yummier versions of food but still super healthy and discipline there is really nothing else thats worth trying any was out there...
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

Nothing like taking a nice 48 hour risen hand stretched skin, a little fresh ground garlic and basil in the dough, covered with the toppings you like, but that crust.

Those little heel ends that so few seem to like? Man, drizzle a little honey on that, and you know what? Even Tom Keller will stfu and eat the hell out of it.

Oh, and a relevant amusement:
    http://www.thebolditalic.com/articles/5607-a-four-year-old-reviews-the-french-laundry

pfft, french laundry.

"It tastes like a tinker bell popsicle." - So much win right there.
    I would quite literally hump a popsicle that tasted like fairies.

That's not weird.

Not at all. :laugh:

Can we talk about Per Se now?

Sure. Let's see if they have spaghetti squash pasta and mashed banana ice cream. I'll be down on Spring Street eating pizza

I just want to know if they serve a nice brunch.

You wouldn't be referring to Lombardi's by any chance would you? :wink:
    Lombardi's in Chicago? If so, I wasn't impressed. I had a pie flown out to me last summer.

Dude! No
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Nothing like taking a nice 48 hour risen hand stretched skin, a little fresh ground garlic and basil in the dough, covered with the toppings you like, but that crust.

Those little heel ends that so few seem to like? Man, drizzle a little honey on that, and you know what? Even Tom Keller will stfu and eat the hell out of it.

http://www.thebolditalic.com/articles/5607-a-four-year-old-reviews-the-french-laundry

pfft, french laundry.

That's not weird.

Sure. Let's see if they have spaghetti squash pasta and mashed banana ice cream. I'll be down on Spring Street eating pizza

Lombardi's in Chicago? If so, I wasn't impressed. I had a pie flown out to me last summer.

Nope. Lombardi's on Spring street. Soho area, NYC.
  • RedArizona5
    Options
    I need to try spaghetti squash because i don't think it is as good as it sounds but i will try it out but i suspect nothing great and i won't try banana "ice-cream"-my brain knows its being ripped of from the usual decadence of velvet cream that gelato has to offer point in case :)
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I need to try spaghetti squash because i don't think it is as good as it sounds but i will try it out but i suspect nothing great and i won't try banana "ice-cream"-my brain knows its being ripped of from the usual decadence of velvet cream that gelato has to offer point in case :)

I have to admit that I was pretty shocked by the spaghetti squash. Not the same, but pretty darn decent substitution. And you don't feel like you just ate a brick or super bloated, if a lot of pasta affects you that way. I haven't tried the cauliflower pizza crust thing, but I'm totally going to give that a shot this weekend.

As for the banana "ice-cream", I've tried it and frozen bananas are tasty and all, but it's definitely no substituted for true ice cream. But I'm also a big fan of full-fat dairy, so that my color my perception.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

pfft, french laundry.

That's not weird.

I meant NY. There are plenty of good examples, but I haven't lived there in years so I'm sure things have changed significantly. I don't do Chicago pizza
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

pfft, french laundry.

That's not weird.

Oh god, don't even get me started. I know, Keller has skill, decent food. However, like Waters, he's simply JUST great marketing.
  • dbmata
    Options

I meant NY. There are plenty of good examples, but I haven't lived there in years so I'm sure things have changed significantly. I don't do Chicago pizza

Just so you know, best Chicago style pizza comes from a place called Zachary's in Berkeley, CA. ;)
  • lindsey1979
    Options

Just so you know, best Chicago style pizza comes from a place called Zachary's in Berkeley, CA. ;)

Or Oakland.
    +1
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I feel like doing some white knighting, so I'll say this in defense of the "moderation doesn't work" peeps:

Whereas guided moderation has worked great for me, I've noticed time and again that moderation doesn't seem to work (except very short term) in the absence of some objective way to measure both how much I've eaten and how much I should be eating.

It's all nice and good to say moderation works while we have at our disposal a tool that makes it easy, but if I didn't have access to some sort of way to log what I eat (or if I didn't want to do so), restrictive dieting would be the only way I could keep my weight stable.

In a very real sense, it's less a matter of "one method is better than the other" than one of "we have two methods, each with their advantages and disadvantages".

You can definitely lose weight outside of calorie counting, but my assumption is that anyone posting a question here has chosen to calorie count using the MFP tool.

Edit: I missed one part of your post in parentheses. If they don't want to count calories, I usually tend to stay away from the topic except for mild enlightenment / entertainment. We'd simply not be using the same path to weight loss at that point and I couldn't contribute much if anything to their selected strategy

For 1800+ posts and you haven't figured out that not everyone on MFP counts calories, let alone with the MFP tool. You must not be paying that close attention...

Aww, thank you oh thou genius. Could you explain why I would state what I usually tend to do about a situation I've never encountered? Twice now and you can't even pay attention to the one post you've just read. Wow
  • dbmata
    Options

Or Oakland.
    +1

Erg, that's right, it's on the Oakland side of the line isn't it?
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

I'll make sure to note that next time someone asks about Chicago style pizza. Otherwise, I'll file that under irrelevant information. I just can't stomach it. Not my thing, but knock yourself out.
  • RedArizona5
    Options
    I am taking a philosophy course about art aesthetics and I read a great 4 pager story by david Hume on the standards of taste-it quite relates to what all is happening with all this arguing over taste- I recommend it to all the readers here:). Personally I agree with sunofabeach…If Im doing pizza its pizza baby- bread is very important and worth arguing..especially when you speak to someone who grew up on her Babcia's bread made at home and kneaded with her hands-for a half n hour…you easily become a bread snob! Especially when it comes out fresh from the oven and sliced just for you with a pat of butter oozing over the pillowy cloud of home goodness..every week fresh home made bread WORD :bigsmile:
  • lindsey1979
    Options

Or Oakland.
    +1

Erg, that's right, it's on the Oakland side of the line isn't it?

There are two. The one on College is in Oakland but the one on Solano is in Berkeley. I haven't noticed any difference between the two.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I hear Alice Waters makes a wonderful cauliflower pizza with ingredients sourced no more than 50 feet from her.

Heh.
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    I am taking a philosophy course about art aesthetics and I read a great 4 pager story by david Hume on the standards of taste-it quite relates to what all is happening with all this arguing over taste- I recommend it to all the readers here:). Personally I agree with sunofabeach…If Im doing pizza its pizza baby- bread is very important and worth arguing..especially when you speak to someone who grew up on her Babcia's bread made at home and kneaded with her hands-for a half n hour…you easily become a bread snob! Especially when it comes out fresh from the oven and sliced just for you with a pat of butter oozing over the pillowy cloud of home goodness..every week fresh home made bread WORD :bigsmile:

Yes, but would you tell someone that doesn't like bread all the much or doesn't care much for pizza crust that he/she have no palate? That is an objective fact and then continue to insult accordingly.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I don't have to do or not do anything and you are most welcome to ignore all of my posts.

I couldn't care less what food you eat. If it makes you happy, that's what matters. :)

Well get used to people constantly asking you to explain yourself when you make incorrect statements, then.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    best Chicago style pizza comes from a place called Zachary's in Berkeley, CA. ;)

Pequod's. On Clybourn.