Moderation DOES NOT WORK for me

Options

Replies

• lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

And if I'm going to have pizza, as a foodie it's going to be a damned good probably artisan pizza. No Pizza Hut for me. But it's going to be on a whole wheat crust (or cauliflower if I get the hankering, which happens), and have lots of veggies.

That's not pizza.
    By YOUR definition. Fortunately. I don't live by your definitions. :laugh:

Not by anyone with taste buds. But hey, you're fine and healthy and sane, right?

Well, I don't know about that. Where I live, the farm to table movement is pretty big and there are a lot of super tasty artisan pizzas, with whole wheat crusts and gluten free crusts options. I've never tried the cauliflower version before, but I might look into that. The crust is just a delivery vehicle for the sauce, cheese and toppings for the most part. Don't get me wrong, a stuffed deep dish can be delicious too (oooh, Zachary's...) but to say that artisan pizzas don't have there place in the pizza pantheon is just plain crazy.

If you think the crust is just a delivery vehicle then your palate is dead. Period.

Right. Because pizza crust is an important basis point for palate range. Next time I'm at French Laundry, I'll be sure to ask about their preferred pizza crust. Hahahaha.

You truly know nothing about food. But, hey, enjoy your brunch

Your ignorance shows. French Laundry doesn't serve brunch. It's Thomas Keller's restaurant -- one of the best in the world. So, yeah, when you try to be a snob, at least do a quick google search first. It will help prevent such displays of foolishness.

You seem to be good with google and still missed the sarcasm. You see, they served brunch for a while for tourists who couldn't get real reservations. It was a thing a decade ago, though I haven't thought about that place in years, and I wasn't the one googling to name drop like you're doing. I lost interest in that type of cuisine and tend to appreciate more traditional cooking from less pretentious places these days, but if you think that's me being a snob, oh well. Keep up the googling though as it seems to be your window onto the world. Best to get out a bit more.

More false allegations, but I know you're a fan of that. Is it such a crazy idea that I live in the area? There are a lot people that live in the bay area. It's not all that special. But I guess that's not as satisfying as hurling baseless insults. Carry on.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

It's actually in Yontville, but totally worth it. It will hurt the pocketbook, but if you're a foodie, definitely worth it. But, if you can't get in, there are quite a few other fantastic places in the area.

I had a really tasty tomato bisque down the road from FL - can't remember the name of the place though. Yountville is a fun little town - think that was the place where I first tried macaroons (not really sure what all the hype is about, though I admittedly don't have a big sweet tooth).
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Well, if you wouldn't have taken my comment out of context, it would've been quite clear why I refuted that implication.

I'm not sure how else to take your question.

Do you realize what "out of context" means?

If you can't get a handle on something that insignificant, it's no wonder you're in a constant state of debate.

[snip remarks saying no one stated there were substances comparable to cocaine in processed foods, along with some "study" trying to imply the exact opposite]
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

And if I'm going to have pizza, as a foodie it's going to be a damned good probably artisan pizza. No Pizza Hut for me. But it's going to be on a whole wheat crust (or cauliflower if I get the hankering, which happens), and have lots of veggies.

That's not pizza.

Not by anyone with taste buds. But hey, you're fine and healthy and sane, right?

Well, I don't know about that. Where I live, the farm to table movement is pretty big and there are a lot of super tasty artisan pizzas, with whole wheat crusts and gluten free crusts options. I've never tried the cauliflower version before, but I might look into that. The crust is just a delivery vehicle for the sauce, cheese and toppings for the most part. Don't get me wrong, a stuffed deep dish can be delicious too (oooh, Zachary's...) but to say that artisan pizzas don't have there place in the pizza pantheon is just plain crazy.

If you think the crust is just a delivery vehicle then your palate is dead. Period.

Right. Because pizza crust is an important basis point for palate range. Next time I'm at French Laundry, I'll be sure to ask about their preferred pizza crust. Hahahaha.

Your ignorance shows. French Laundry doesn't serve brunch. It's Thomas Keller's restaurant -- one of the best in the world. So, yeah, when you try to be a snob, at least do a quick google search first. It will help prevent such displays of foolishness.

You seem to be good with google and still missed the sarcasm. You see, they served brunch for a while for tourists who couldn't get real reservations. It was a thing a decade ago, though I haven't thought about that place in years, and I wasn't the one googling to name drop like you're doing. I lost interest in that type of cuisine and tend to appreciate more traditional cooking from less pretentious places these days, but if you think that's me being a snob, oh well. Keep up the googling though as it seems to be your window onto the world. Best to get out a bit more.

More false allegations, but I know you're a fan of that. Is it such a crazy idea that I live in the area? There are a lot people that live in the bay area. It's not all that special. But I guess that's not as satisfying as hurling baseless insults. Carry on.

There are plenty of people who live in the area, just not many willing to drop $1000 for dinner, and even fewer who can do it regularly. And, frankly, as one who did that for a number of years, I don't see the point. Nor do I see Keller as the end-all-be-all to anyone who experiences food away from FoodTV. A great chef, no doubt, but a better marketer. I liken your reference to him as akin to new whiskey drinkers harping on Macallan without appreciating other Scotch, bourbons, or even Japanese whiskey. Stop name dropping and get out more. Food can be an adventure and fun, and it doesn't have to be snobby or, at the other extreme, made of cauliflower.
  • lindsey1979
    Options

It's actually in Yontville, but totally worth it. It will hurt the pocketbook, but if you're a foodie, definitely worth it. But, if you can't get in, there are quite a few other fantastic places in the area.

I had a really tasty tomato bisque down the road from FL - can't remember the name of the place though. Yountville is a fun little town - think that was the place where I first tried macaroons (not really sure what all the hype is about, though I admittedly don't have a big sweet tooth).

I love macarons. But talk about something I could eat 400 of bc they're so unsubstantial (except in calories). Good thing I don't live in Paris -- I'd be in big trouble there.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Pizza crust is bread. Arguing that pizza crust adds nothing to "the palate" is like arguing there isn't a difference between tasty bread and crap bread.

And Thomas Keller loves (good) pizza. It makes a regular appearance at many of his restaurants.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

That's not pizza.

There are plenty of people who live in the area, just not many willing to drop $1000 for dinner, and even fewer who can do it regularly. And, frankly, as one who did that for a number of years, I don't see the point. Nor do I see Keller as the end-all-be-all to anyone who experiences food away from FoodTV. A great chef, no doubt, but a better marketer. I liken your reference to him as akin to new whiskey drinkers harping on Macallan without appreciating other Scotch, bourbons, or even Japanese whiskey. Stop name dropping and get out more. Food can be an adventure and fun, and it doesn't have to be snobby or, at the other extreme, made of cauliflower.

Just me personally, but until I run out of less-expensive-but-still-fantastic places to try for dinner, I can't see myself dropping $1000 for one meal. The same with whiskeys - while I don't tend to buy the stuff in plastic jugs, I just don't see myself spending over $100 on a bottle for any occasion. But then again, I'm so bad with names it's impossible to be a name dropper. :tongue:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Pizza crust is bread. Arguing that pizza crust adds nothing to "the palate" is like arguing there isn't a difference between tasty bread and crap bread.

And Thomas Keller loves (good) pizza. It makes a regular appearance at many of his restaurants.
    Arguing about anyone's personal TASTE is rather silly if you ask me.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

That's not pizza.

Just me personally, but until I run out of less-expensive-but-still-fantastic places to try for dinner, I can't see myself dropping $1000 for one meal. The same with whiskeys - while I don't tend to buy the stuff in plastic jugs, I just don't see myself spending over $100 on a bottle for any occasion. But then again, I'm so bad with names it's impossible to be a name dropper. :tongue:

This is my point, I'm just saying that I did go through a stage in my late 20s and 30s where I thought it was the way to go. I no longer think that way, and I've had some unbelievable meals created by 90 year old ladies in old restaurants in the mountains, or by young chefs in restaurants that seat only 8 or 10 and have nothing more than a pizza oven. Spending money doesn't give someone a palate.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

If you enjoy cauliflower crust pizza then you're wasting your money at FL. Just saying.
  • lindsey1979
    Options

That's not pizza.

But there are some things made of cauliflower that are tasty. And let's remember this all started because of your snobbiness about pizza crust and claiming I had no palate since I see it primarily as a sauce, cheese, toppings delivery vehicle. And sometimes you don't need to drop $1000 at such places -- work can pick up the tab (but I remember it being more like $400/head). One of the few benefits of that salt mine.

Either way, why all the insults? Oh, because you can. Stay classy.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

If you enjoy cauliflower crust pizza then you're wasting your money at FL. Just saying.
    Did your mommy not give you enough love? Seriously. That you need to mock others' food choices is beyond sad.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Whereas guided moderation has worked great for me, I've noticed time and again that moderation doesn't seem to work (except very short term) in the absence of some objective way to measure both how much I've eaten and how much I should be eating.

It's all nice and good to say moderation works while we have at our disposal a tool that makes it easy, but if I didn't have access to some sort of way to log what I eat (or if I didn't want to do so), restrictive dieting would be the only way I could keep my weight stable.

I agree with your post (including the parts I didn't quote) except that there are non restrictive (if that means cutting things out) ways of eating outside of logging that allow for moderation. Maybe I have no credibility since I ended up regaining, although it wasn't actually a failure of my method, as opposed to life events that led to me falling away from my method, but what I did for years was just eat based on portion size and macros (though I wouldn't have called them macros, would have said food groups or the like). It ended up being kind of standardized (although there was flexibility and more indulgent days built in), but it was definitely one way to do it that worked for me, and was classic moderation (I just called it eating using common sense and paying attention). It's actually how I started this time and the main reason I think logging works better for me (since I eat largely the same) is because I'm a data nut and find it keeps me interested and motivated. (Similar to how tracking my running and biking helps me maintain that motivation.)
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

Did your mommy not give you enough love? Seriously. That you need to mock others' food choices is beyond sad.

Give those cats a hug for me, mmmmk?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I rest my case. You're a sad little boy. Here's a flower:flowerforyou:
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

That's not pizza.

But there are some things made of cauliflower that are tasty. And let's remember this all started because of your snobbiness about pizza crust and claiming I had no palate since I see it primarily as a sauce, cheese, toppings delivery vehicle. And sometimes you don't need to drop $1000 at such places -- work can pick up the tab (but I remember it being more like $400/head). One of the few benefits of that salt mine.

I'm just trying to figure out how two people with no discernible palates care so much about French Laundry. Hey, knock yourselves out. I'm sure the Sommelier will have a field day with you.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

Your suffering doesn't make me sad but you can believe that if you want.
  • lindsey1979
    Options

I'm just trying to figure out how two people with no discernible palates care so much about French Laundry. Hey, knock yourselves out. I'm sure the Sommelier will have a field day with you.

I know it's a crazy idea that someone can enjoy a meal at a place like French Laundry and still think that pizza crust is overrated and primarily a sauce, cheese and toppings delivery vehicle. That was also my experience eating it in Italy. But, yes, I now with your instruction, I realize how that is actually impossible. Silly me.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options

Based on your respective counts, I think you both just like posting, regardless of the topic at hand.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    OK, here it is:
    If you want to stop eating naan and you can't, you might have an addiction problem.

If I said, "if you want to stop drinking alcohol and you can't, you might have an addiction problem." Or if I said, "If you want to start gambling, but you can't, you might have an addiction problem." most people would agree. Presumably you would, also.

That's not analogous, because it came out of a post in which it was specifically stated that the person in question could take or leave most bread.

It's like telling someone who has no issues with booze generally, but says that she loves gin & tonics so much that she always has one more than she meant to, and sometimes two more, that she might be addicted to G&Ts. There's no such thing as naan addiction. I seriously doubt there's even such a thing as bread addiction or carb addiction or whatever you think "naan addiction" is supposed to be.

Besides, personally it's even more specific. I actually don't have a huge problem eating a little naan and stopping unless I have some kind of curry to dip it in. That's what I can't stop. (Well, can't stop in the way people "can't stop" eating cookies or whatever, which means of course I can stop but find it hard and somewhat unpleasant, because short term pleasure so favors continuing.)
    But let's recap. You suggested that someone might be addicted to naan. Not even bread (which like I said, I can mostly take or leave), but naan.

That's like saying that someone is addicted to '00 Bordeaux.

Ah, I think I see the point of confusion. Let me clarify here: I have no idea what "naan" is. I'm assuming it is some kind of food.

Okay, that at least makes more sense. Naan is a type of bread common in Indian cuisine. It's also delicious.
    The take away from this is even "addicts" can postpone their addiction in favor of a reward - if that reward is suitably enticing.

Yes, I've read similar studies about alcohol. But I'm not claiming that addiction doesn't exist, although obviously even addicts can modify their behavior in some ways and of course can quit. I'm saying that it's crazy to claim that there is anything analogous between having a hard time limiting your consumption of a particular item to calorie-appropriate levels when (and because) it's something you find super tasty and being addicted to something. Alcoholics may well really enjoy the taste of certain kinds of alcohol, but the essence of alcoholism is not that you just really, really love the taste of G&Ts.