Whey Protein Powder for a 10 year old?

Options

Replies

• Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Okay... first off, I don't use media outlets for nutritional advice.

Secondly, nothing about that article supports your opinion that people of the Western world eat too much protein.

This was after a quick search this covers the UK obviously we have a better diet than the US.
    FYI: in the US state where I live, the obesity rate is 20.5%. But, you know, IN for stereotypes.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Okay... first off, I don't use media outlets for nutritional advice.

Secondly, nothing about that article supports your opinion that people of the Western world eat too much protein.

This was after a quick search this covers the UK obviously we have a better diet than the US.
    FYI: in the US state where I live, the obesity rate is 20.5%. But, you know, IN for stereotypes.

Which is still lower than the UK's. ;)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me so sad. How about just giving them a balanced diet yep I know a pretty off the wall idea but it's worked for children for generations so maybe it could work now

Perhaps because he seems to refuse to eat most things she's tried?

I haven't parented much (I have some experience having been a full time live in caregiver to young children)... but I kind of thought the adults made the rules.

We had "you get to leave the table when you're done eating rules" and that was that.

When did kids start dictating the food??

I have two kinds of eaters in my household: one eats PB&J and chicken nuggets (He's 5). The other eats chili, feta cheese, black olives, buffalo wings, and just about whatever I'm eating (She's 2).

As parents, we've struggled with how far to push our oldest to eat. In some way, I don't really care that he doesn't like food that much or doesn't eat much because he doesn't beg me for cookies, brownies, or ice cream either. He just ISN'T hungry. And he's a picky, picky eater. It makes me angry that he won't eat the broccoli in front of him, but my only option has been starve him til he eats it or shove it down his throat. So... if I do that, promise not to call CPS on me? He's gone 2 full days without food before because he JUST WOULDN'T EAT.

Now, talking to the doctor, she tell me he'll grow out of it eventually. All I can do is put the option in front of him and pray he'll eat. He's healthy, he's growing, he's not overweight or underweight so there's no point in stressing us both out over it. And as long as any child isn't exhibiting health issues, this would be MOST pediatricians response to it.

Picky eating is as old as time. Its just there weren't as many options to get around it when you lived on a farm 10-20 miles from town.

Bottom line: you can control what foods a child has access to, but YOU CAN NOT FORCE FEED THEM. At some point, parents of particularly stubborn children find a balance that keeps their child healthy and growing even if it isn't "balanced".

Yeah, that pesky "lead a horse to water" thing...
    I have 4 kids, aged 9-14. Like adults, they have food preferences (any person on here try telling me you like every conceivable food on earth, do it, I dares ya!). While I do not allow them to dictate to me, they get choices (balanced ones, usually) for their breakfast and lunches/snacks. Supper is where it comes down to it. Everybody gets their plate of food. If they do no eat something on it, fine. They are required to try it. If they still do not eat it, well... Kitchen's closed for the night after that, and they all know it. Want more rice? Eat your veggies. Want a snack a couple hours after dinner? Eat your veggies. Everyone knows the policy and there are no fights over the food. Even my son, who was the pickiest of my 4 kids, at nearly age 12 will now eat most veggies put in front of him, which he never would have unless "encouraged" to try them. I was too busy early on with 4 kids in 5yrs to make it a struggle, but I also refused to let the children set the rules.

Ever have one that wouldn't eat, period?

It's not about them dictating the food, per se, it's about finding a way to get food into them in the first place, and/or to keep them away from the crap. Ideally, without making them sit at the table for three hours, because even kids have other obligations, such as school and sleep (both of which can be negatively affected by not eating).

A group care setting is a completely different beast. Peer pressure rules there, for more than just food, for better or worse. In the case of getting kids to eat what's offered, peer pressure does wonders for getting kids to eat. But the opposite holds true, as well -- if his friends are eating crap, he's more likely to go for the crap when he's hungry.

I am by no means advocating letting the child dictate food, especially if they have bad eating habits. I have a "here it is, take it or leave it" policy in my house, as well. However, there's also a lot of balancing between dictating foods to my son and just getting food into him so he's not going to bed hungry enough to disrupt his sleep, which has behavior ramifications the next day. In the OP's case, the balancing would be getting something reasonably good into him so he can focus better at school and not reach for the crap.

Is a protein shake ideal? No, but it is a start. Open the door with the protein shake, then migrate it to a smoothie or something, then to eggs or whatever.
  • my_chrystal82
    my_chrystal82 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My 13 (almost 14) year old is a fussy eater but loves protein. Hard boiled eggs, pb, cheese, you name it!
    My nutritionist and family doctor both recommended adding the whey protein powder to any baked goods I make for his school snacks, like muffins, cookie bars (both super healthy with soy flour, granola, wheat bran, etc.). Like someone said, it's just a derivative of milk and adding it to breakfast in a bowl of oatmeal or smoothies is just smart.

My boy is always hungry and adding the protein powder has been a savior! I have watched him eat up $60 of groceries in one day and still ask for more, talk about bottomless pit. In his defense, he makes very healthy choices, lifts weights and at 5'10, weighs 177Ibs and is very healthy. Now he has a medium sized breakfast smoothie and snacks throughout the day without feeling like he's starving to death.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Sssssheaaaat! I used to give my kids whey as infants. They got hayooge on that stuff.

http://www.infantfeeding.info/whey.htm lol srs my daughter was allergic to regular formula.

But when they got older I did get them some of my protein shakes when I'd make them for myself. They just called it chocolate milk. There's nothing wrong with it, protein is protein whether it's from a chicken, a fish, a cow, or whatever. Whey is just part of the protein in cows milk, the other part is caisein. No problem with either one.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me so sad. How about just giving them a balanced diet yep I know a pretty off the wall idea but it's worked for children for generations so maybe it could work now

Perhaps because he seems to refuse to eat most things she's tried?

I haven't parented much (I have some experience having been a full time live in caregiver to young children)... but I kind of thought the adults made the rules.

We had "you get to leave the table when you're done eating rules" and that was that.

When did kids start dictating the food??

I have two kinds of eaters in my household: one eats PB&J and chicken nuggets (He's 5). The other eats chili, feta cheese, black olives, buffalo wings, and just about whatever I'm eating (She's 2).

As parents, we've struggled with how far to push our oldest to eat. In some way, I don't really care that he doesn't like food that much or doesn't eat much because he doesn't beg me for cookies, brownies, or ice cream either. He just ISN'T hungry. And he's a picky, picky eater. It makes me angry that he won't eat the broccoli in front of him, but my only option has been starve him til he eats it or shove it down his throat. So... if I do that, promise not to call CPS on me? He's gone 2 full days without food before because he JUST WOULDN'T EAT.

Now, talking to the doctor, she tell me he'll grow out of it eventually. All I can do is put the option in front of him and pray he'll eat. He's healthy, he's growing, he's not overweight or underweight so there's no point in stressing us both out over it. And as long as any child isn't exhibiting health issues, this would be MOST pediatricians response to it.

Picky eating is as old as time. Its just there weren't as many options to get around it when you lived on a farm 10-20 miles from town.

Bottom line: you can control what foods a child has access to, but YOU CAN NOT FORCE FEED THEM. At some point, parents of particularly stubborn children find a balance that keeps their child healthy and growing even if it isn't "balanced".

Yeah, that pesky "lead a horse to water" thing...
    I have 4 kids, aged 9-14. Like adults, they have food preferences (any person on here try telling me you like every conceivable food on earth, do it, I dares ya!). While I do not allow them to dictate to me, they get choices (balanced ones, usually) for their breakfast and lunches/snacks. Supper is where it comes down to it. Everybody gets their plate of food. If they do no eat something on it, fine. They are required to try it. If they still do not eat it, well... Kitchen's closed for the night after that, and they all know it. Want more rice? Eat your veggies. Want a snack a couple hours after dinner? Eat your veggies. Everyone knows the policy and there are no fights over the food. Even my son, who was the pickiest of my 4 kids, at nearly age 12 will now eat most veggies put in front of him, which he never would have unless "encouraged" to try them. I was too busy early on with 4 kids in 5yrs to make it a struggle, but I also refused to let the children set the rules.

Ever have one that wouldn't eat, period?

It's not about them dictating the food, per se, it's about finding a way to get food into them in the first place, and/or to keep them away from the crap. Ideally, without making them sit at the table for three hours, because even kids have other obligations, such as school and sleep (both of which can be negatively affected by not eating).

A group care setting is a completely different beast. Peer pressure rules there, for more than just food, for better or worse. In the case of getting kids to eat what's offered, peer pressure does wonders for getting kids to eat. But the opposite holds true, as well -- if his friends are eating crap, he's more likely to go for the crap when he's hungry.

I am by no means advocating letting the child dictate food, especially if they have bad eating habits. I have a "here it is, take it or leave it" policy in my house, as well. However, there's also a lot of balancing between dictating foods to my son and just getting food into him so he's not going to bed hungry enough to disrupt his sleep, which has behavior ramifications the next day. In the OP's case, the balancing would be getting something reasonably good into him so he can focus better at school and not reach for the crap.

Is a protein shake ideal? No, but it is a start. Open the door with the protein shake, then migrate it to a smoothie or something, then to eggs or whatever.

My son and one of my daughters used to flat refuse food, I've been there. I was mostly agreeing with you actually.

Cheers!:drinker:
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    My 13 (almost 14) year old is a fussy eater but loves protein. Hard boiled eggs, pb, cheese, you name it!
    My nutritionist and family doctor both recommended adding the whey protein powder to any baked goods I make for his school snacks, like muffins, cookie bars (both super healthy with soy flour, granola, wheat bran, etc.). Like someone said, it's just a derivative of milk and adding it to breakfast in a bowl of oatmeal or smoothies is just smart.

My boy is always hungry and adding the protein powder has been a savior! I have watched him eat up $60 of groceries in one day and still ask for more, talk about bottomless pit. In his defense, he makes very healthy choices, lifts weights and at 5'10, weighs 177Ibs and is very healthy. Now he has a medium sized breakfast smoothie and snacks throughout the day without feeling like he's starving to death.

My 11yo son has started doing body weight exercises on his own, and thank goodness. He verges on underweight, despite the amount of food he eats. We have a pullup bar and he and his sister(12m younger) compete to see who can do the most. He doesn't win (and she can do them in more variety than he can), but he is getting better! He can almost pull 4 in a row with proper form, where a couple weeks ago, he could do 1. We leave the bar up during the daytime and he does 1 or 2 everytime he walks by!
  • Watch_Me_Rise
    Watch_Me_Rise Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Definitely seems like a question for a pediatrician.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    If he is often hungry, encourage him to eat more fruit and veggies. He needs the vitamins and minerals and should be allowed to snack on those whenever he says he is hungry. Cut out ANY liquids that have calories except milk. Make him play a sport or two and go outside. Take walks with him/ride bikes. No whey powder. That's just silly. Give him a glass of milk and an apple.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Also chocolate Ovaltine in milk and a banana is a good breakfast.
  • CheatinLil
    CheatinLil Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the replies. I have read them all and wish I could respond to them all. A lot of good info in here. Thanks!
  • forgiven16
    forgiven16 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It's perfectly ok. However, remember: WHOLE FOODS > supplements.Whole foods are always better than taking supplements.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I would ask for medical advice before going ahead.

My son has supplemental drinks, which are prescribed by a paediatric dietician (a medical professional in the UK, not a nutritionalist). But the drinks are actually available over the counter, and they don't contain anything that wouldn't be found in a balanced diet for a child (were he able to eat one), however, I still wouldn't feel happy about giving them to him without it being ok'd by someone like that or his Dr.

I have no idea as to how good or bad it would be, sorry. I'd just be a bit leery.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    On average, men should eat 55g and women 45g of protein daily. That’s about 2 palm-sized portions of meat, fish, tofu, nuts or pulses.

This is actually for sedentary individuals...we have the same numbers in the U.S. If you workout regularly with any intensity whatsoever, you need far more. Most publications recommend around 0.7 - 0.9 grams per Lb of body weight depending on the nature of your activity.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options

My 11yo son has started doing body weight exercises on his own, and thank goodness. He verges on underweight, despite the amount of food he eats. We have a pullup bar and he and his sister(12m younger) compete to see who can do the most. He doesn't win (and she can do them in more variety than he can), but he is getting better! He can almost pull 4 in a row with proper form, where a couple weeks ago, he could do 1. We leave the bar up during the daytime and he does 1 or 2 everytime he walks by!
    That's great. I did the same exact thing as a kid and just never stopped. Always did tons of pushups and situps etc.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

this!

seriously parents, teach your children good eating habits. forget about him being husky or whatever and focus on teaching him how to eat a balanced diet and be physically active.

i also dont understand parents who say "my child wont eat xyz so i cant make it" . like seriously who is the grown up? who's buying the food and making it of course your child isnt going to eat it because they know they are going to their way at the end of the day.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

That's great. I did the same exact thing as a kid and just never stopped. Always did tons of pushups and situps etc.

To the first poster -- your daughter is lucky to have you as a parent.

To the second -- I hope you have a daughter some day and instill your lifelong love of strength training in her.

To both -- I wish I had parents like you growing up. Strength training was never encouraged to girls when I was younger. The Presidential Fitness Test was about it. Iron is a love I wish I'd been able to develop earlier in life.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options

To the first poster -- your daughter is lucky to have you as a parent.

To the second -- I hope you have a daughter some day and instill your lifelong love of strength training in her.

To both -- I wish I had parents like you growing up. Strength training was never encouraged to girls when I was younger. The Presidential Fitness Test was about it. Iron is a love I wish I'd been able to develop earlier in life.

Thank you! I have three girls and a boy and we try to encourage them in whatever endeavors they might want to succeed at, regardless of gender! Parenting is a very encompassing, challenging, difficult, incredible thing to do, and there are so many different and yet successful ways of managing it.

To the OP: do what you think is best for your son. Protein powder won't hurt him, if you are already providing a balanced diet, and definitely encourage him to try different activities and see if he can find something he loves. It doesn't have to be traditional team or even individual sports. Anything that gets him (and keeps him) moving will do!
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options

this!

seriously parents, teach your children good eating habits. forget about him being husky or whatever and focus on teaching him how to eat a balanced diet and be physically active.

i also dont understand parents who say "my child wont eat xyz so i cant make it" . like seriously who is the grown up? who's buying the food and making it of course your child isnt going to eat it because they know they are going to their way at the end of the day.

Alright, noble ones, how do you get a child to eat protein if they won't? Veggies? Fruits? For a 2 year old? For a 12 year old?

And apparently you love every.single.food. that exists or are adults the only ones not allowed to care for particular foods?
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    Just do the best you can and present a variety, especially to a kid that young, and keep re-trying things they've refused in the past. My kids don't have to eat everything on their plate, but they do have to try it and they know (obviously they are older than 2), that if they don't eat what was cooked, they are pretty much S.O.L.