Whey Protein Powder for a 10 year old?

Options
1235»

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    And apparently you love every.single.food. that exists or are adults the only ones not allowed to care for particular foods?

This. I don't understand why its okay for me to dislike raw onions, but not for my kids to dislike fish.

You know, generally, I treat my kids the way my mother treated me. I was required to try whatever food that was given me. If I didn't like it, I didn't have to eat it. The same with my kids. If they try something and they tell me they don't like it, then I don't make them eat it.

Kids are just like us. Only in smaller, emotional, undisciplined packages. But I don't force myself to eat onions. Why should I force my children to eat something they don't like. I'm, of course, not suggesting that kids should only be fed junk food (as I'm sure someone will try to argue that I am). I'm suggesting introducing healthy foods and letting them decide which ones suit them.

It's not a black or white situation.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    And apparently you love every.single.food. that exists or are adults the only ones not allowed to care for particular foods?

This. I don't understand why its okay for me to dislike raw onions, but not for my kids to dislike fish.

You know, generally, I treat my kids the way my mother treated me. I was required to try whatever food that was given me. If I didn't like it, I didn't have to eat it. The same with my kids. If they try something and they tell me they don't like it, then I don't make them eat it.

Kids are just like us. Only in smaller, emotional, undisciplined packages. But I don't force myself to eat onions. Why should I force my children to eat something they don't like. I'm, of course, not suggesting that kids should only be fed junk food (as I'm sure someone will try to argue that I am). I'm suggesting introducing healthy foods and letting them decide which ones suit them.

It's not a black or white situation.

I'd thumbs up this if I could. I have things I prefer not to eat and things I flat won't eat (crabs for one, just ick). So while I don't let my kids get away with not trying things, if they have tried them 9 or 10 times and still think they are gross... what the heck is the point of trying to make them eat it.

One thing I should add. Generally if the kid tries their veggie and doesn't like it, or we are having one that experience has shown dislike for... green salad is pretty much always an option, with minimal dressing. One of my kids will just eat baby spinach leaves, lol.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options

To the second -- I hope you have a daughter some day and instill your lifelong love of strength training in her.

To both -- I wish I had parents like you growing up. Strength training was never encouraged to girls when I was younger. The Presidential Fitness Test was about it. Iron is a love I wish I'd been able to develop earlier in life.
    I do have a daughter. She's only 7 but is so far just a fast runner (she outruns her 9 year old brother). They used to like try and do pretend workouts when they were smaller when I was working out in the garage when I used to have them. I don't get see them as much anymore but when I have them I try to do active things with them. Lots of time in the pool the last time.