Replies

• matthawthorneisamyth
    matthawthorneisamyth Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    "You cannot reason with an unreasonable man. " -Unknown
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    This is why I avoid talking about health and fitness at work. The myths are too embedded in people's minds.
  • Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I find that sometimes it is better just not to discuss all aspects, of all topics, with all people. It's ok to disagree with someone without needing to change them.

^^This is how I get through my days intact! Especially at work. I wear my iPod in the teachers lounge where I work so I don't have to listen to people wax eloquent about any variety of topics. Congratulations on getting healthy!
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I recently got into an argument with my co-worker. He is young, 27, and in good shape. He basically eats rabbit food, which is fine. We got into a discussion and he started telling me that when you eat is more important than what you eat and the calories. He told me you should never eat before going to bed.(which has been dis-proven) Then he told me that intermittent fasting is bad because your metabolism slows to a halt throughout the day (which also has been greatly exaggerated)

I then went on my rant and explained to him that a calorie is a calorie and as long as you create a deficit each day, you are fine. I then asked him if I ate 3000 calories all day and stopped eating after 8pm vs 3000 calories but 1000 of it was right before going to bed he told me the latter is a lot worse.

I tried to explain to him that some things work differently for some people, and eating breakfast makes me hungry all day long. I tried to explain that weight loss is about simple math, calories in, calories out. etc. But as I was arguing both him and my other co-worker started looking at me funny. I knew what was going on.

You see, I am fat, and I could not possibly win this argument UNTIL I lose the weight right?

Just as my mind was thinking this, he said "then prove it."

Anyone else run into a no win situation like this? I mean, technically, the proof is right there, I am fat, he is thin. And even though he is thin for other reasons, it just is pointless to argue this.

And yet you made this priceless statement in the sugar thread: "Sugar is the worst thing on the planet for you"

Weird.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who used to argue with me about nutrition. I did find some of her points to be valid and did change some of my opinions as a result of some of her insight plus my own research/trial and error, etc. Anyway, she eventually completed a nutrition degree.

One day, she mentioned that she was having a hard time losing weight....I secretly wanted to say, "oh...but I thought you could eat all of the meat and fat that you wanted,b/c the ONLY thing that effects weight are carbs." And to say, "oh...but I thought that exercise isn't important, b/c the ONLY thing that effects weight are carbs."

Of course, I didn't say it. I just kept eating carbs and exercising.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    When has arguing with anybody about anything ever been a win situation ?

Just thank him for sharing his point of view. What you choose to do with his information is entirely up to you.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    A calories is a calorie as it relates to weight loss, but not overall health. 100 calories of broccoli give you good things and 100 calories of Oreos give you bad things. You'll lose the same amount of fat, but you'll be healthier on the fresh produce than on the lard.

No, if you're 100 pounds overweight and arguing eating habits with a thin person who eats healthy food, you won't win. Don't even try. When you do "prove it" and are thin, nobody will tell you that your method of losing won't work. If you're eating junk food, they may continue to tell you it's bad for you. But they'll ask you what you did to lose the weight and will believe it worked for you. So many people will ask so often that you'll get tired of the question.

Until you "prove it", just thank them for their advice. It's always good to hear new ideas. You might find one you like. But stick with what works for you. You'll get your turn to be taken seriously. I promise! :)
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Hmmm... I dunno about this "all inches are the same" business. I've been with my husband for almost 15 years, so my memory may be a bit spotty, but I definitely remember not all inches being the same.

Now I'm picturing OP's friends defensively saying, "It's not the amount of calories you guys! It's totally the way you use them." :bigsmile:

BWAHAHAHAHAHA
  • odusgolp
    Options
    I recently got into an argument with my co-worker. He is young, 27, and in good shape. He basically eats rabbit food, which is fine. We got into a discussion and he started telling me that when you eat is more important than what you eat and the calories. He told me you should never eat before going to bed.(which has been dis-proven) Then he told me that intermittent fasting is bad because your metabolism slows to a halt throughout the day (which also has been greatly exaggerated)

I then went on my rant and explained to him that a calorie is a calorie and as long as you create a deficit each day, you are fine. I then asked him if I ate 3000 calories all day and stopped eating after 8pm vs 3000 calories but 1000 of it was right before going to bed he told me the latter is a lot worse.

I tried to explain to him that some things work differently for some people, and eating breakfast makes me hungry all day long. I tried to explain that weight loss is about simple math, calories in, calories out. etc. But as I was arguing both him and my other co-worker started looking at me funny. I knew what was going on.

You see, I am fat, and I could not possibly win this argument UNTIL I lose the weight right?

Anyone else run into a no win situation like this? I mean, technically, the proof is right there, I am fat, he is thin. And even though he is thin for other reasons, it just is pointless to argue this.

And yet you made this priceless statement in the sugar thread: "Sugar is the worst thing on the planet for you"

Weird.

tumblr_llesm1blzv1qj0zk3o1_500.gif?w=520
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Guys. IIFYM always = "I eat nothing but twinkies," duh.
  • DBoone85
    DBoone85 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Why do you even care what hs says? You do what works for you. He does what works for him. Move on and find something constructive to do with your time and energy, rather than trying to change his mind....
  • Jpeezy85ny
    Options
    Sometimes walking away from an argument is more important than winning it.

could not have said it any better
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    A calories is a calorie as it relates to weight loss, but not overall health. 100 calories of broccoli give you good things and 100 calories of Oreos give you bad things. You'll lose the same amount of fat, but you'll be healthier on the fresh produce than on the lard.

No, if you're 100 pounds overweight and arguing eating habits with a thin person who eats healthy food, you won't win. Don't even try. When you do "prove it" and are thin, nobody will tell you that your method of losing won't work. If you're eating junk food, they may continue to tell you it's bad for you. But they'll ask you what you did to lose the weight and will believe it worked for you. So many people will ask so often that you'll get tired of the question.

Until you "prove it", just thank them for their advice. It's always good to hear new ideas. You might find one you like. But stick with what works for you. You'll get your turn to be taken seriously. I promise! :)

So why does he need to be thin to know what he is doing. Well the best personal trainers are former athletes right? No way you can learn from someone who does not practice what they preach.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Guys. IIFYM always = "I eat nothing but twinkies," duh.

QFT.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me.

I decided then that I will not ever try to make a point to anyone unless they sincerely ask for my input. It is simple math and simple science. But to each his own... you know what works, and what feels right for you.

Congrats on your weight loss thus far!!! :drinker:

21525558.png
  • odusgolp
    Options
    This thread already has so much awesome.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Maybe I missed it with all the oil and sugar talk (now I want cake...thanks everyone!) but...how much did this thin person lose? Or has this person been thin their whole lives?
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    This is why I avoid talking about health and fitness at work. The myths are too embedded in people's minds.

^Dude, seriously

It's the first rule of fitclub...

And what's the second rule?
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options

Sure, you're right.

OTOH, there's nothing wrong with not eating a pizza right before you go to bed, either.

If I was telling someone I didn't agree with IF, and they said it worked (which makes me assume you practice it, correct?), yes, I would wonder if they had any practical experience (and not just using Google), if they were overweight.

And the guy eats "rabbit food?" Rabbits aren't typically associated with significant protein intake, so I question what kind of "good shape" he is in. Or, you're just trying to discredit him, by disparaging his dietary choices.

Nah, that wouldn't be the case.