Options

Replies

• jmcdonald2011
    jmcdonald2011 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    howdy just a few quick questions please :
    1 ) have you ever tried a dating site? Yup met my husband on one

2) were you pleased? the end result worked for me

3) would you tell someone to try one? sure why not - but I would tell them to be cautious, always meet in public, drive yourself, and always tell a friend where exactly you are

4) any bad vibes? there where a lot of weirdos on there.

5) any thing i shoud ask? anything and everything

6) would you do it again? no because I have no intention on being single again

7) what site(s) did you find most helpful? I was only ever on POF

8) which one(s) should we stay away from / why? No idea

any other info would be helpful --thanks
  • RelentlessCherry
    Options
    I'll answer the post in a minute, but I just want to say I must have missed something when I joined MFP. I was under the impression this was a fitness/diet site where support and encouraged could be shared by/with others who were also trying to lose weight or get fit. I don't recall any questions related to dating when I signed up, so when exactly did MFP get classed as a dating site?

Now, to answer Em's questions...
    1 ) have you ever tried a dating site? Yes, a few over the years.

2) were you pleased? For the most part. Some of it has been good, some has been "interesting". Only really had one bad experience.

3) would you tell someone to try one? Yes, but I would also give them some helpful advice about the pros/cons of dating sites.

4) any bad vibes? Not for the most part.

5) any thing i should ask? Asking about something mentioned in the profile shows you have read it and that you didn't just click on them because you like their picture. It helps to get a conversation going and is better than just sending a message that says "Hi!"

6) would you do it again? Yes. I find it much easier to get to know people online rather than in person as I tend to be really quiet around people until I know them a bit better. Speaking to them online first gives you a foundation to build a proper conversation on when you meet in person.

7) what site(s) did you find most helpful? The two I use are Plenty Of Fish, and Girls Date For Free, mainly because they are free! I have joined sites in the past that were free to join but you had to pay to contact other members or add more photos etc. In my opinion they had just as many scammers, fakes and cheater on there as the free sites do. POF is just as good as any paid dating site.

8) which one(s) should we stay away from / why? Not sure about that one.

any other info would be helpful --thanks. Tread carefully and enter online dating with caution!!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    1 ) have you ever tried a dating site?
    yes

2) were you pleased?
    For comic relief, I was pleased

3) would you tell someone to try one?
    probably not

4) any bad vibes?
    many

5) any thing i shoud ask?
    everything you want to know

6) would you do it again?
    not anytime soon

7) what site(s) did you find most helpful
    google image search

8) which one(s) should we stay away from / why
    all of them
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    -- yes, several for several years

2) were you pleased?
    -- yes sometimes, no sometimes -- overall yes because it's how I found hubby, the absolutely perfect rest-of-my-life partner

--absolutely

4) any bad vibes?
    --all the same pitfalls as other forms of meeting folks and dating.

--ask yourself what's important to you and that is what you should determine from them. For example, education, politics, and religion were important to me. Harder things, like if the person is really good, honest, or what they claim to be is not easily learned online but it's not easy otherwise, either.

--I did do it several times over several years but now that I have found Bill ... well, I don't want to think about ever being without him

--Back then, the choices were fairly limited. Eharmony threw him out and never could find a likely match for me but a colleague and her husband met through it. We found each other on Yahoo Personals and I'm not even sure that exists anymore. Again, figure out what's important to you. For example, this atheist wouldn't touch Christian Mingle with a ten foot pole but it might be exactly right for you.

--Ones that don't fit you, want too much money, or promise they will find you a match.

--I had to kiss a lot of toads to find my prince.
    [/quote]
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I've had great success with MFP.
  • Buu_kz
    Buu_kz Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    howdy just a few quick questions please :

2) were you pleased?
    Yes and no I met some great people and some creepos

I guess it depends on the situation

4) any bad vibes?
    YES there are some creepy people out there

5) any thing I should ask?
    I guess it depends on how much you have talked to the person, its obviously its important to have some sort of connection and the ability to have a back and forth convo before you even bother to dive into the important questions. My questions would looks different from yours because my ideals and what I am looking for is no doubt different than you but I would just ask the stuff that means the most to you out of a person

Yes if I needed to

Match.com

Anything like hotornot.com or plentyoffish.com

• _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    I've had great success with MFP.

Me too!
  • ladyblue100
    ladyblue100 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    1 ) have you ever tried a dating site? yes, Plenty of Fish a few years a go

2) were you pleased? I met a few really great guys

3) would you tell someone to try one? Yes I told my friend about POF and he found his husband on there :)

4) any bad vibes? A few lame guys. Wish I had better judgment at times

5) any thing i should ask? Ask something about their profile, shows you took time to look at their profile or if you a common trait open up about what you have in common

6) would you do it again? Yes, I really liked going on first dates, Might go to a paying website though

7) what site(s) did you find most helpful I was only on POF I liked the layout and it was free.

8) which one(s) should we stay away from / why Craigslist lol

Profile pics are deceiving try a video chat before you meet. I was disappointed a few times
  • mandez19
    mandez19 Posts: 179
    Options
    Haven't used one personally but my best Bud finally got hooked up using Plenty of Fish. It seems like a good way to meet people these days.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have tried a couple of them way back in 2000-2001 before my first marriage, and then in 2012 I briefly used Plenty of Fish and OK Cupid.

I was pleased overall, especially since I met my now-husband on OK Cupid!

I found Plenty of Fish "POF" to be less of a fit for me personally, as I kept meeting guys who were not my type and/or didn't seem to read my profile. There seemed to be more of a casual or "hook up" type vibe at least among the POF users in my area. I did have several decent dates from POF and am still in touch (as friends) with a couple of them.

I would recommend OK Cupid for sure. For me it was a good blend of users who seemed pretty serious about themselves and not just there to hook up, but open to meeting people for friends or relationships. My best advice if using that site is to answer a LOT of the questions they use to determine compatibility. It is not like eHarmony which I guess actually won't let you message people randomly unless you're a match (I could be wrong, I have never used that site)...but it's cool to see someone's profile and then check out how well you have matched up on the random questions about a variety of topics. My husband and I were a 98% match (after both answering roughly a thousand questions total).

My best advice to anyone who is meeting potential dates online is the following though...

A) be very honest and up front about who you are, what you want in a date/mate, what you are looking for, and what you are not looking for.
    B) don't bother with prolonged communication if the person doesn't seem like someone you are interested in and/or red flags go off about them
    C) if you ARE interested in someone, meet up face to face as soon as you can. Then you'll know whether it's worth pursuing or not, whether it's mutual, and you won't waste time or make things into a super awkward big deal.

I honestly can't stress "C" enough. I have met a lot of people - friends and dates - on the internet, and I have yet to have a truly bad experience but I believe it's because of "C".
  • phrazzledmom123
    phrazzledmom123 Posts: 7 Member
    Options

Yes, I was on Plenty of Fish for a couple years, met the love of my life on there almost 3 yrs ago. Still together.

2) were you pleased?

With any dating site, you get the good with the bad. Gotta weed out the bad. Lucky I found someone good, but it took a while.

3) would you tell someone to try one? I would, with lives that are busy and most of us spend too much time in front of the computer, where are we supposed to meet someone?

4) any bad vibes?

See # 2 answer

Make sure it's a real profile. You can usually tell fake pics. All of the dating sites have scammers in them, just be on the alert, they prey on the weak, and lonely.

Hopefully I won't have to.

8) which one(s) should we stay away from / why .

Yahoo used to have a Personals, glad it's gone. Lots of men on there falling in love with pictures, lots working overseas, so they say, and need you to get them out of the country. Be on the alert at all times. Once in a while you find a good man on there, that is real.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    1 ) have you ever tried a dating site? Yes

2) were you pleased? Yes

3) would you tell someone to try one? Yes

4) any bad vibes? Yes

5) any thing i shoud ask? sort of a personal thing really since I don't know you and people lie

6) would you do it again? If I was single sure

7) what site(s) did you find most helpful POF=plenty of fish

8) which one(s) should we stay away from / why haven't been on any for a while so can't say

I met my now husband on one POF actually....I think that says a lot.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

--Back then, the choices were fairly limited. Eharmony threw him out and never could find a likely match for me but a colleague and her husband met through it. We found each other on Yahoo Personals and I'm not even sure that exists anymore. Again, figure out what's important to you. For example, this atheist wouldn't touch Christian Mingle with a ten foot pole but it might be exactly right for you.

I agree completely. It's kind of like bars/clubs/hangouts...some will be right for you, others so so wrong ;-)
  • Markdjones83
    Markdjones83 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I used OkCupid back in 2009 and met my wife on there. I think it is a good way to meet people for sure.
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Only Ashley Madison and Backpage
  • kschoop
    kschoop Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I met my husband on OkCupid. :)
  • eamillie
    eamillie Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I met my BF (definitely future husband in time) on OkCupid. I think OkCupid is the best since it's free, but not sketchy like, say, Craigslist. I wouldn't pay for a dating site, personally.
  • mandez19
    mandez19 Posts: 179
    Options
    Who gives a **** about this, where do you think you are mate???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where do you think you are? Did you not read the Topic before you clicked on it?

Maybe OP wants to meet somebody for exercise purposes... this is "My Fitness Pal" after all...
  • Behxo
    Behxo Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Yes, overall they're pretty entertaining in my opinion lol
  • beallh
    beallh Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    yes

2) were you pleased?
    yes

yes - in confidence to someone I trust and genuinely wanted to help. I don't want to make it a big joke.

4) any bad vibes?
    Yes creepy older men and a lot of people that didn't want relationships and were just doing it for a laugh (for hookups). You can tell these people pretty easily, jsut ignore them.

Just be yourself and make sure if you go ona date you meet somewhere public, you do not invite him to your house.

I met my fiance and we are getting married in October. I plan to spend the rest of my life with him so no I will never be on one again :)

Match.com - serious enough but not overly serious like eharmony or christianmingle.

Tinder is a hook up app. Plenty of fish is free so it attracts people who are not serious and doing it for fun.

I know it's still "out there" to meet someone online and I don't share it with too many people because they judge. I would have never met my fiance without the site and I truly believe he is my soul mate. There is no harm in trying as long as you stay safe and make wise choices.