Gym virgin - tips please!

Options
13»

Replies

• StrawberryJam40
    StrawberryJam40 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Go in with a plan. Keep a small notebook if you lift so you can see progress. Change it up every 8 weeks or so.

Get in amongst the free weights, don't be self-conscious. Who cares if there are lots of guys?

Get a trainer to at least help you set up a program, if you're not confident to do it yourself. One session will save you heaps of time.

Also, free weights, did I mention?

This.

I got a trainer to start me off and told her what I was looking for. She helped me design several options...TRX, medicine ball, free weights, machines, bar, step platforms. I also asked her to show me things I could do at home if weather or schedule prevented me from getting there.

Also, a trainer will or should assess your strengths and weakness. For the longest time no matter what weight I have been I can plank for 45 seconds to one minute which is unusual for as obese as I am. But I can't do one pushup. Therefore, a lot of my strengthening is upper body.

She wrote out a plan to do on the days I don't spend with her which includes settings on each machine and reps.

And, don't be afraid to ask questions. Most people (where I am) are nice and will help with a machine if you are unsure. And, it is amazing what you can learn by just quietly observing. Or grab a worker and ask for a few minutes of their time. Just by saying..I really don't want to hurt myself and I am a little unsure if this is correct form. That'll get them by your side quickly. :)

Good luck. You can do this!
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    In my experience, all beginners get DOMS, no matter how light they start. Seasoned lifters get DOMS once they start a new routine, even if they drop the weight. If you aren't getting DOMS as a beginner, or on a new routine, you are doing something wrong.

(Tight muscles is DOMS btw)

Bingo. This seems to be the most common misconception I see. I've been competing for years and every time I drop the weight and up the volume post meet I get doms that sometimes makes me think it would be easier to roll down the stairs than walk down.

Like others have said, re-rack your weights, don't hog, have a plan but most importantly play around and see what you like to do. Everyone says to lift. You may love it you may not. The best way to stick with anything is to find the thing you love to do.

whats the misconception?

I over trimmed the original text. The misconception is that:

1.) When you've been training/lifting for a period of time that you won't suffer doms. You will if you substantially change your routine for example lower the weight and up the volume.
    2.) Heavy weight will give you doms. It may but it's more likely to be brought about by higher volume than heavier weights.

This is not to say that doms equals better it's that it's just a fact of training and may affect some more than others.
  • tsimblist
    tsimblist Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Question on the Starting Strength everyone is talking about. Does the book have a program you can follow as far as what lifts to do and when?

EDIT: oops wrong post, but i guess you all can answer in here

I found the book most helpful for the considerable details about proper form for the major movements.

Here is a cheat sheet for the program: http://www.t-nation.com/training/most-lifters-are-still-beginners

So basically it just says do the same 2 workouts week in and week out with proper form or doe sit very any beyond that?

There is some discussion about assistance exercises and programming considerations. I didn't pay much attention to that stuff. I was already using the StrongLifts 5x5 program when I got the book.

As I have mentioned before, the book was very explicit about how to learn the proper form for the major movements. That is the main reason that I bought it.

SL 5x5 is very similar. Two workouts that you alternate between as you progressively increase the weights. I did substitute the Power Clean in place of the SL 5x5 Barbell Row. But I kept to the 5x5 part of SL (except for the Power Clean).
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options

1.) When you've been training/lifting for a period of time that you won't suffer doms. You will if you substantially change your routine for example lower the weight and up the volume.
    2.) Heavy weight will give you doms. It may but it's more likely to be brought about by higher volume than heavier weights.

This is not to say that doms equals better it's that it's just a fact of training and may affect some more than others.

i agree with that.

i've heard people say they've NEVER experienced it (which has to be an exaggeration, i mean everyone has expereinced a sore back after working on thier car or gardening or moving or something)

and then i've heard people say that they ALWAYS experience DOMS.

i'd say if someone falls into one of those catagories, something would be wrong. With the second one being potentially dangerous (if its even possible).
  • Katleskin
    Katleskin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Wow, some great responses, thanks for all the input. Like I say, my induction is Tuesday so I will soak up as much info as possible then. I will also look into getting some kind of guidance, be it from the staff or a PT for a while and I'll look at getting a plan. I'll be starting slow and steady as I have pretty weak joints - would braces or some kind of supports (I'm thinking about my knees) be a good idea?
    The best tip I can give you is stop being self conscious.

Thanks but I never started being self conscious LOL. Couldn't care less what random strangers think of me, never have, never will, fat or thin or inbetween. But thanks :-) I plan on wearing my iPod and getting into it, everyone else can whistle.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Wow, some great responses, thanks for all the input. Like I say, my induction is Tuesday so I will soak up as much info as possible then. I will also look into getting some kind of guidance, be it from the staff or a PT for a while and I'll look at getting a plan. I'll be starting slow and steady as I have pretty weak joints - would braces or some kind of supports (I'm thinking about my knees) be a good idea?

Thanks but I never started being self conscious LOL. Couldn't care less what random strangers think of me, never have, never will, fat or thin or inbetween. But thanks :-) I plan on wearing my iPod and getting into it, everyone else can whistle.

I'm only self-conscious when I do things like hip thrusters and glute bridges, but I've had surprisingly few men leer in a creepy manner...although quite a few glance in a way that says they want to look but are trying to be respectful. Sometimes they say things to each other about me that I can hear, but it's always complimentary and never too disgusting, so I chalk it up to flattery.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I've been on my current bulk (slow and clean) for 6 weeks and this program always gives me DOMS. Yes, ALWAYS. Instead of a set number of reps I aim for 6-12 reps x3. Once I hit 3x12 I up the weight. With every work out I am pushing either more reps or more weight. But I agree it's not healthy long term. 2 more weeks then I'm going to recomp.

i agree with that.

i've heard people say they've NEVER experienced it (which has to be an exaggeration, i mean everyone has expereinced a sore back after working on thier car or gardening or moving or something)

and then i've heard people say that they ALWAYS experience DOMS.

i'd say if someone falls into one of those catagories, something would be wrong. With the second one being potentially dangerous (if its even possible).
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options

As far as braces go that is up to your individual comfort level. Personally I think you should start light enough to not need them so they get stronger with you. If you are unable to do body weight movements without needing them it is prob best to use them. When you go for your instruction, let them know about your weakness, they should be able to direct you better.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Observe etiquette for a period of days/weeks and then apply to yourself. Each gym is different.
  • stevenlcopeland
    stevenlcopeland Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Make sure and have someone show you proper form and the one I recommend the most is dead lifts. Do those and you will feel about every muscle the next day saying ouch. Lol. After a week of doing those, concentrate on bench press, squats, shoulder press, and rows. That will hit every major muscle. Keep it simple, use proper form and after a month refine your program with more isolation type lifts. Watch others lift become a copy cat on what others do and you will be a pro in no time. Protein ? I don't get hung up on protein intake as far as when. I just eat when I'm hungry, in moderation, and I'm very happy with my results at 53 years old. If you would like to add me as a friend please feel free to do so
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Rack your weights where they are supposed to go. Don't put the 2.5lb plate behind the 45.

It's a progressive load program, so if you follow it properly (and it's super easy) then you won't get DOMS and won't be discouraged after your first 24-48 hours at the gym.

What??! Doing an exercise correctly doesn't mean you don't get doms!!
    If you do the progressive programs correctly the weight starts low enough at the beginning to reduce or even eliminate DOMS. Most times if you load slowly enough, the most you will ever have is slight muscle tightness.

I get what you're saying, but tell this to my poor husband. I started him out with just the bar on squats and his quads have been wrecked for days after each of the first two workouts! :laugh: I'm *trying* not to tease him too much about it.