I.cant.skip.my.coffee.

Options

Replies

• paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Try Stevia for sweetener. Natural and good though you do use less. It sometime can leave a taste if you use too much. If you use just a bit of real sugar (about a quarter of what you usually use) the taste goes away. I drink my coffee black but this is what I do for fruit shortcake.
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I don't see any problem with coffee. It's not like you're drinking an entire pot of it each day. A cup shouldn't be an issue. I used to be like you, enjoying creamer and sugar - now I just drink it black or occasionally with some Splenda or Truvia if I don't want it black.
  • maccarossi1
    maccarossi1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I drink my coffee black with no sugar, don't dilute that beautiful coffee taste :)
  • Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have a bold coffee blend with almond milk - no sweetener.
  • CrunchyDad
    CrunchyDad Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've actually found a cup or two each morning helps to keep me full between breakfast and lunch, so decided not to cut it out in the end. I also enjoy it too much.

I felt a little better after cutting it out in the past, but have since found ways to evade the "crash" that comes later when the caffiene wears off, so it's a win-win :)

You are better off using real cane sugar or coconut sugar than any artificial sweeteners though. Do some research on the effects of sweeteners on the brain, studies done in lab animals etc. and decide for yourself.

I also don't believe in the "stevia" (reb A) you can buy in stores, as it is also highly chemically processed and therefore no better than any of the others.

Definitely avoid any kind of creamers. No need for an extra dose of dairy, hfcs or corn syrup solids in your diet. Not to mention the trans fat. It's pretty easy to learn to go without, or substitute with other natural flavorings.
  • RachaelRenk
    RachaelRenk Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, however, brewed/drip coffee has more caffeine than espresso. Furthermore, the lighter the roast of coffee, the more caffeine it has as well. I personally prefer the taste of (expertly) brewed coffee to espresso, and as far as the caffeine kick goes, it's basically more bang for your buck.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I have a large iced coffee with creamer and sweetener at about 4 in the afternoon. It keeps me from snacking while I make dinner.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Coffee is correlated to obesity considering pretty much everyone drinks coffee, oh and so are computers. Coffee is fine, good buzz and low cal.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,067 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee every single day and this caused no problems with weight loss or weight maitenance.
    I have it unsweetened with skim milk. If skim milk not available, I have full fat milk

Of course if one is drinking a lot of coffee with sugar, cream etc, the calorie count could be an issue.
    Other than that, not a problem.

If you can fit the calories in, drink your coffee.
    OP you seem to be talking about one coffee on the morning - if that is all you have, I'm sure you will easily fit in one cup with sugar and cream if that is way you like it.
    Or yes stevia or Splenda or any other sweetener if you like them.

Do not change to coconut oil or worry about the small amount of trans fat or the dairy or the lab rats or any other non issue. :laugh:
  • JupeJones
    JupeJones Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Health-wise, coffee shouldn't be a problem.

But life-wise, my own personal opinion is that any non-essential thing that you "have to" have is something worth examining, whether it's coffee, booze, TV, shopping trips, MMORPGs, etc.

It's not that you have to give up coffee, it's more that a healthy relationship with coffee is one where you could give it up, whether you actually do or not.

When I start considering myself "addicted" to something, that's a red flag to me, whether it's unhealthy or not. I've even given up things on purpose for a month for no other reason than to see if I could. Sort of a personal Lent. :-) (It's how I wound up becoming a vegetarian, in fact. Sometimes the behavior sticks...)
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I lost 66lbs drinking about 4 coffees a day! I just have a splash of whole milk in my coffee. I like it to actually taste of coffee! I'm now losing weight after baby no.3 and I'm still drinking coffee! With 3 young kids I sometimes don't think I'd make it through the day sans caffeine!
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I have coffee every day, 2-3 cups of it. I put sugar free french vanilla creamer in mine. I'm sure it's not the healthiest stuff in the world, but it's how I like it. I see no reason to cut it out. I've had success losing weight while feeding my caffeine addiction.
  • nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Dr Oz recommends 1T of coconut oil and 1t of grass fed organic butter. I make a cup of coffee and pour the coffee and coconut oil and butter with a packet of stevia in the blender. Blend for 30 seconds til frothy. It tastes good and is great for the brain.

Dr. Oz alert! This is a guy who was called in front of Congress a while back for being less than honest about diet supplements.

Did he explain why adding all this extra fat is great for your brain? I tend not to take him or his claims seriously.
  • mkbuckmaster
    Options
    The Splenda To Go is liquid and adds zero carbs and no paper packets to throw away. And it's tastes great.
    A great cup of coffee is something I will never give up.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. Okay so.. I'm trying to lose 25 pounds and I am addicted to coffee. Before I started being healthy, I had my regular cup of coffee with 3 cream and 4 sugar. Now I just drink coffee with 2 Splenda. Anything wrong with that? By the way, if I stop drinking coffee I will feel crappy for the rest of the day. Is coffee okay while being healthy? And if not.. What should I do?

Enjoy your coffee. If you start adding in excess calories in your coffee and it causes you hunger, or causes you to consume too many calories, then re-evaluate what you are adding into your coffee.

Splenda is fine and Coffee is fine(r). Drink up.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    Since being on MFP, I've started drinking coffee. Mind you, I drink it with milk and sugar but I still have 1-2 cups a day.

Dropping the cream was good. If you like the splenda, keep enjoying your coffee.
  • marilandica
    marilandica Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Coffee is a calorie-free beverage so if weight loss is your concern there's no reason to not drink it. Granted, all of the crap people sometimes put in coffee is not calorie free, but that crap is disgusting anyway. Buy and brew good black coffee, keep the crap out of it, and enjoy your daily drug. God knows I do.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Don't mess with my coffee I take it very seriously. Already on pot #2 of the day.. and hasn't messed with my weight loss. Now because I drink lots and lots of coffee I did get better coffee and went to drinking it black.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    cut down on the coffee, and go for espresso.

Umm...put your hands together...do both.
    Espresso IN coffee...yes....

Nothing wrong with coffee. Just be sure to hydrate the rest of the day.
  • CrunchyDad
    CrunchyDad Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Do not change to coconut oil or worry about the small amount of trans fat or the dairy or the lab rats or any other non issue. :laugh:

But we have to worry about the lab rats, where would we be without them?! :D

Seriously tho, rats aside, use of artificial sweeteners such as in diet soda have been directly linked to larger waistlines, and are known to have some serious neurotoxic effects. I'm all for finding ways to lower calories, but at what cost? Maybe in small amouns it's not an issue, but with as much coffee as I drink I wouldn't risk it.

Meh, to each their own.