I.cant.skip.my.coffee.

Options

Replies

• CrunchyDad
    CrunchyDad Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You made the claim, you back it up

Whoaa, calm down there, hoss, I am not making any grand claims here, only stating my opinions and conclusions I myself have decided to live with. Take from it what you will, and do not put me down for believing something different than yourself.

Just for fun, I'll wait to see what you have to say about these...

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0091743586900897

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/

Again, just a few samples taken from a quick search. I do not have a lot of time to read articles thoroughly to try and defend my opinion, because I honestly don't care if you agree or not, as I thought I had already made clear.

Otherwise, I do not intend to entertain your attempt to discount any claims made that contradict what you think, that is not why I'm here. I am willing to acknowledge and accept that you have a different view, also for which I have seen no groundbreaking scientific evidence, perhaps you should consider doing the same.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I drink lots of coffee with cream and whatever else I decide to put into it. This morning's coffee concoctions ran over 100 calories. I'm pretty lean...
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Whoaa, calm down there, hoss, I am not making any grand claims here, only stating my opinions and conclusions I myself have decided to live with. Take from it what you will, and do not put me down for believing something different than yourself.

Again, just a few samples taken from a quick search. I do not have a lot of time to read articles thoroughly to try and defend my opinion, because I honestly don't care if you agree or not, as I thought I had already made clear.

Typically people say "in my opinion" when they are expressing an opinion. You made claims.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Lol at asking me to calm down. First of all, I am totally calm. Secondly, if you want a less abrupt response, you may want look at the way you respond first.

If they are your opinions, then you should be more careful with the working of your post - to make it clear that they are rather than posting links that insinuate that there is actual research, when asked for it.

However, thank you for actually posting decent links, however, can you point out how they support your claims?

The first one:

"The data do not support the hypothesis that long-term artificial sweetener use either helps weight loss or prevents weight gain."

The second one:

While it does refer to an interesting study on rats, it does not actually support the claim that artificial sweeteners cause weight gain. What is does raise is that in ad lib eating, in some people, it may increase caloric intake - something I have not disagreed with but is far from your original statement/implication. Another very interesting study that it refers to actually goes against your claim...the one where they switched to artificial sweetener without telling the participant - they lost additional weight.
  • CrunchyDad
    Options
    Typically people say "in my opinion" when they are expressing an opinion. You made claims.

The only claim I made is that studies exist..... which they do. My opinion is that I believe them.

As for the studies, the first one I posted shows that it does not affect weight loss or weight gain, but that users were more likely to gain weight. So where's the benefit of putting an artificial substance in your body?

The second one shows that using artificial sweeteners again cause overall weight gain, whether or not it is directly linked to the sweetener itself. If it causes you to eat more, again, where is the benefit?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

The only claim I made is that studies exist..... which they do. My opinion is that I believe them.

Can you please cite them then.

Thanks!
  • SideSteel
    Options

and are known to have serious neurotoxic effects

Did you not say this?
  • RebeccaMae1983
    RebeccaMae1983 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee regularly and will either drink it black or with just a little fat free milk it not only gives me a little energy boost but it helps me feel full longer.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Do not change to coconut oil or worry about the small amount of trans fat or the dairy or the lab rats or any other non issue. :laugh:

But we have to worry about the lab rats, where would we be without them?! :D

Seriously tho, rats aside, use of artificial sweeteners such as in diet soda have been directly linked to larger waistlines, and are known to have some serious neurotoxic effects. I'm all for finding ways to lower calories, but at what cost? Maybe in small amouns it's not an issue, but with as much coffee as I drink I wouldn't risk it.

Meh, to each their own.

I pretty much drink my body weight in artificial sweeteners every day. Somehow I manage to maintain 19% body fat (as a 38 year-old woman).

Many, many years ago I was a Dr. Pepper addict. When I switched to Diet Dr. Pepper, I dropped 12 lbs without changing much else. Huh...

My guess is people who drink diet sodas and gain weight are using it as an excuse to eat more food. Just like people often exercise and then think they can eat that cake because they worked it off earlier.

The only thing I've ever noticed when I cut back on artificial sweeteners is my sensitivity to the sweetness present in "normal" foods increases. The less you use, the less you need. But other than that, I've never noticed any difference.
  • kborton1122
    kborton1122 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Touch.My.Coffee.And.You.Will.Die

I am an addict as well. I haven't cut back my coffee, just cut back on what goes into it. I love creamer, but only allow myself 1 cup a day with yummy creamer. All other cups have just sugar or splenda.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Don't skip your coffee if you love it. If you are adding too much heavy cream and sugar and one cup turns into 100 calories, find an alternative with less calories. I find just 1 tablespoon of full fat flavored liquid coffeemate is enough to sweeten and lighten one cup for me and it's ~40 calories total.
  • CrunchyDad
    Options

Thanks!

Again, I don't have time to sit around and search for studies all day for you. You can do a search for scholarly articles yourself. And I also said, you can likely find contradicting studies, it's all in what you choose to believe.

Many studies are inconclusive due to lack of ability to do controlled testing on humans, but the evidence in lab animals is clear. I can't help but think if it's bad for them, it's bad for us.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1474447/
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    I have NEVER given up my coffee and it has never impeded my weight loss. And I say forget about the fake sweeteners and skim milk and all that nonsense. Going skim just means making your coffee even more sugary (check the numbers on skim versus whole). I use whole or 2% milk in my coffee, and since it's richer I need less of it than I would of skim anyway. I don't use any sugar in my coffee (yuck! lol) but rather than switching to Splenda I would say see if you can adapt to liking a little less regular sugar (I say this because I think real sugar tastes a heck of a lot better than the artificial stuff). And then, just fit it all into your daily intake.

p.s. I type this as I am finishing my daily GIANT mug of morning coffee with whole milk, lol. Yummmm
  • SideSteel
    Options

Thanks!

Again, I don't have time to sit around and search for studies all day for you. You can do a search for scholarly articles yourself. And I also said, you can likely find contradicting studies, it's all in what you choose to believe.

Many studies are inconclusive due to lack of ability to do controlled testing on humans, but the evidence in lab animals is clear. I can't help but think if it's bad for them, it's bad for us.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1474447/

What you choose is irrelevant. You can choose to believe that a magic toaster will spit donkeys at your face but that doesn't make it true.

What matters is where the weight of current evidence points, collectively. It also matters what the actual research indicates and not what the media claims the research indicates.

Your opinion of the data doesn't change the data.
  • Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Dr Oz recommends 1T of coconut oil and 1t of grass fed organic butter. I make a cup of coffee and pour the coffee and coconut oil and butter with a packet of stevia in the blender. Blend for 30 seconds til frothy. It tastes good and is great for the brain.

Dr. Oz is a quack.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Drink the coffee!
  • CrunchyDad
    Options
    What matters is where the weight of current evidence points, collectively. It also matters what the actual research indicates and not what the media claims the research indicates.

Your opinion of the data doesn't change the data.

Yes, you can choose to believe anything the current evidence points to, but that can change in an instant. What then?

"Scientific evidence" can be skewed in any direction to benefit those who are funding the research, just as other studies can be muted completely because they don't want the public to know the truth about some things. So, I guess the evidence that's out there can sometimes point people in different directions. It all depends on how much you trust the sources, the suppliers of our food, and our food governing agencies. I can tell you that my trust level with these entities is next to none.

I instead choose to research what I can about our food and make the best possible choices for my family. When it comes to that, any artificially synthesized food should be out of the question, when there are perfectly natural alternatives out there with no questions or even "what if" concerns about hazards to our health.

So, again the things I've said are not so much claims as they are my personal conclusions drawn from the evidence at hand, and I will be sure to make that more clear next time for those who wish to refute them. Although, looking back, I really don't see a problem with the way I worded it, as I have linked to studies that correlate with both claims.

Thanks
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    Dr Oz recommends 1T of coconut oil and 1t of grass fed organic butter. I make a cup of coffee and pour the coffee and coconut oil and butter with a packet of stevia in the blender. Blend for 30 seconds til frothy. It tastes good and is great for the brain.

this sounds disgusting. And frankly I stay away from ANYTHING Dr. Oz promotes.