Teachers: how do you feel about the new school year

Options
cookieinbk82
cookieinbk82 Posts: 320 Member
This is going to be my first full year as a teacher and I'm a little nervous and a lot sad that the summer is coming to an end. I'm also concerned about how I will find time to work out as much during the school year as I did during the summer. Does anyone have any advice on how to calm my nerves and how to find time to work out? Now I work out two hours a day 5 days a week.

Replies

• Targetx130
    Targetx130 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I suggest either first thing in the morning or right when you get home. Teaching may not be physically exhausting, but there are days where mentally you're spent by the time you get home. Good luck your first year! Pinterest abd TeachersPayTeachers are going to be your new best friends haha
  • fitgirlandfoodie
    fitgirlandfoodie Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    hm I'm feeling depressed. Another year starting as a substitute teacher with a 2:1 degree and a M.Ed, and no sign of any job in the near future. I guess the extra time will be good for working out but I'd rather be working full time. It's frustrating.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Will the teachers effectively teach this year?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    You can probably find a more efficient workout schedule if you need to. Lifting weights is something to consider. But, where I am, school isn't even going to start because of a teacher strike that started last school year and still isn't resolved.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    This is going to be my first full year as a teacher and I'm a little nervous and a lot sad that the summer is coming to an end. I'm also concerned about how I will find time to work out as much during the school year as I did during the summer. Does anyone have any advice on how to calm my nerves and how to find time to work out? Now I work out two hours a day 5 days a week.

Work out before work or after work like the millions of others that have jobs. Also, 2 hours a day for exercise is pretty excessive.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I'm not a teacher, but I work for the local newspaper, and we run a lot about education. Unfortunately, in N.C., our General Assembly has decimated our education budget, pissed the teachers off by getting rid of tenure and trying to base raises on performance so that they will be competing with each other rather than collaborating, and we're experiencing a teacher shortage this year. Go figure.
  • cookieinbk82
    Options
    hm I'm feeling depressed. Another year starting as a substitute teacher with a 2:1 degree and a M.Ed, and no sign of any job in the near future. I guess the extra time will be good for working out but I'd rather be working full time. It's frustrating.
    I know how you feel. I was a sub for two years and was promised full time jobs from principals which turned out to not be fulfilled. Good luck this year. I hope you get something full time.
  • fitgirlandfoodie
    Options
    I know how you feel. I was a sub for two years and was promised full time jobs from principals which turned out to not be fulfilled. Good luck this year. I hope you get something full time.

Thanks hun. It's my 3rd year out from my degree at this point..it just is beginning to appear futile. Schools starting back here next Monday so back out with the CVs :)
  • wheird
    Options
    I think that getting rid of tenure is a good thing and that basing raises, at least in part, on performance is a great idea.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

Agree. That's why or one of the reasons, we home school. :bigsmile:
  • fitgirlandfoodie
    Options

Tarring all with one brush. Surely the same could be applied to all professions?
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    You could probably work out before or after school like everyone else that works 12 months a year.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    man, i wish i had school teacher hours. what are they, 8-3? nothing would be able to stop me.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options

Thanks hun. It's my 3rd year out from my degree at this point..it just is beginning to appear futile. Schools starting back here next Monday so back out with the CVs :)

Move somewhere that is growing. The Austin metro area can't build schools and hire teachers fast enough.
  • wheird
    Options

Tarring all with one brush. Surely the same could be applied to all professions?

How is that tarring all of them?
  • fitgirlandfoodie
    Options

Move somewhere that is growing. The Austin metro area can't build schools and hire teachers fast enough.

I'm in Ireland....
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

Teachers are done by like 3.....I wish my job was the only thing that got in the way of me working out.
  • cookieinbk82
    Options
    man, i wish i had school teacher hours. what are they, 8-3? nothing would be able to stop me.

The NY teachers contract changed this year. In the new contract most schools are in session from 8:00-2:30 on most days a week. The only thing that I'm worried about is how my body is going to react to working out less. I'm planning on working out 4 days a week for one hour each day instead of 5 days a week and two hours each day.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options

I'm in Ireland....

Doh!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

I'm in Ireland....

there are no kids in ireland? there are no schools? you live in the european union. move to italy/spain/france and teach english.

i read somewhere once that if you don't have a job within a year or two of getting your degrees, the job market considers you unhirable.