Women's sizes and weight

Options
LAT1963
LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
Does anyone have an idea how a woman's weight relates to dress size?

I'm 202 lbs today and wear a 16. I know when I'm 180 lbs I wear a 14. But how do the other sizes run?

Obviously this won't be exact--sometimes you need to size up or down because your own personal bust or hips don't match a particular designer's dimensions for a particular size. But in general, what has been your experience?

A group just formed today saying "I'll be size 8 by Christmas, you can count on me". I know by extrapolating my weight loss rate and then adding back a fudge-factor for screw-ups, that I should be in the vicinity of 170 by Christmas, but how that translates to size? Harder to predict. 14, like at 180? or 12? And where does the weight for "10" begin?

Replies

• RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Due to height & body build variations I don't think you can say a size 10 would equal X amount of lbs.

I have labels reading from size 8 - 18 in my wardrobe. Shoes go from size 8 - 11. Throw in bras and it can be anything from 14-34. There are also the manufacturer variations to consider - some designers run a little small, others are more generous.

Weight wise for me, there has only ever really been at most a 22lb (10kg) difference.

I wonder if size 8 by Christmas is a US size 8, UK size 8 or NZ size 8.

So I don't think that you can translate weight into size.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It all varies. Height and type of body also play factors in sizing. I'm at 207 and I just got into a size 18.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'5, 140, us size 6 jeans/ s t-shirt
  • cookieinbk82
    cookieinbk82 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and 180. My size 12s are big on me now. So I think I'm a size 10.
  • RachelAngel01
    RachelAngel01 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10", and I weigh around 216. I'm a size 16/18 on bottom, and a L or XL on top. 30 lbs ago I was an 18 on bottom and an XL on top. Not much difference at all....in another 30 lbs I expect to maybe be all the way out of 18, but who the heck knows. It depends on the brand, cut, style, etc.

I will probably NEVER be a size 8. I think the smallest size I remember in high school was a 10, and I was a super active athlete.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    It all varies. Height and type of body also play factors in sizing. I'm at 207 and I just got into a size 18.

I'm fairly tubular, not a lot of contour. I imagine if my fat was less evenly distributed I might need a larger size to accomodate bigger tatas or wider hips.

i'm 5'8".
  • wlcr15
    wlcr15 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have lost 40 lbs since April. And was wearing a 16-18 at 220 pounds (5'3" height). At 180 I can still wear some of my 16 jeans, although it looks like I might have pooped my pants (LOL). I can wear a 14 and some 12s. It all depends on the make of the clothing. Large Shirts. I would be happy to get into a 12!
  • keniaclimaco5
    keniaclimaco5 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    5'2, 121 pounds, size 2 jeans!
  • megacoco
    megacoco Posts: 32
    Options
    If only vanity sizing wasn't so rampant, maybe the size would mean something... I wear between a 0-8 in pants at 5'5 and 130lbs. Generally 4 is a safe bet though.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Dress size seems like an impractical goal just because it varies so widely by maker. Even items by the same maker vary! And now they have "vanity" sizes that make it even less standardized. Because of illness, I do a lot of clothe shopping online and it's a craps-shoot every time.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    5'2.5" 167 size 10 jeans most of the time, sometimes 12's still.
    at 162 I'm a solid 10.
    177 I was a solid 12 sometimes 14..
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    5',7.5" / 171lbs I'm currently a UK 14 top size 16 (ish) bottoms.

Impossible to predict based on variations.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

I'm fairly tubular, not a lot of contour. I imagine if my fat was less evenly distributed I might need a larger size to accomodate bigger tatas or wider hips.

i'm 5'8".

Yep, I'm 5'6" and pear shaped with everything in my chest and hips
  • jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Go to mybodygallery .com. It has a database of pictures from other women at different heights and weights and you just input yours and you can see how different body composition is for everyone.

So basically, there is no way to answer your question as truly everyone is different but this site is still neat to look at none the less.
  • love8383
    love8383 Posts: 169
    Options
    at 180 i wear a size 14 too but smaller than that i don't know yet.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    5'10", 232. I wear size 16w, in NYDJ. I was a size 12 last year at 190.

It is not just weight, last year I was toned from yoga, and looked tight.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

I'm 202 lbs today and wear a 16. I know when I'm 180 lbs I wear a 14. But how do the other sizes run?

Obviously this won't be exact--sometimes you need to size up or down because your own personal bust or hips don't match a particular designer's dimensions for a particular size. But in general, what has been your experience?

A group just formed today saying "I'll be size 8 by Christmas, you can count on me". I know by extrapolating my weight loss rate and then adding back a fudge-factor for screw-ups, that I should be in the vicinity of 170 by Christmas, but how that translates to size? Harder to predict. 14, like at 180? or 12? And where does the weight for "10" begin?
    First, clothing manufacturers get bored and change the sizes of certain garments just for the hell of it. They giggle at how all those women will order shorts and get them and have them be a size too big or small. They have to amuse themselves somehow.

I sell my clothes on eBay as I lose (because I go through them so fast!) and I'm always saying things like, "It's marked as an 18, but it's really more like a 20 than a 16." Sizes mean nothing!

I think it differs from person to person. I'm about 183 and in a 14, some 16. In a month or two, I'll start adding 12s. I'm just now getting rid of my last 18.

You go through sizes faster as you lose more. They add way more room between 2X and 3X than they do between 14 and 16.
  • TamraJeanShea
    TamraJeanShea Posts: 8 Member
    Options

I have noticed that every 10 lbs that I lose I drop a full clothing size. Also consider what the other poster said " different cuts and manufacturing play a role in sizing" I'm 5ft 7in tall and weigh 145lbs, when I weighed 180 I was also a size 14 now I'm a 4-6 depending on the cut. I hope that helps ♥
  • dizzysmile
    dizzysmile Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew. I'm ~174 right now at 5'2.5 and I think I'd fit into a 16 now but I'm wearing a loose 18.