Women's sizes and weight

Options

Replies

• b4tb4t
    b4tb4t Posts: 30
    Options
    I wear like 4 or more different sizes now, I wish I knew what size I really was. Seriously. I have things ranging from 20-32 that all fit.. lol
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    This is going to rely heavily on body composition.

My bestie is 155 at 5'8" and wears a size 2/4. She also has 16% bodyfat.

Where by comparison she used to wear a size 12 at 165 when her bodyfat percentage was much higher.

I know her stats because we train/lift/measure/shop together =)
  • nharr002
    nharr002 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If really just depends on your build. Currently I weigh anywhere between 195-203 (on any given day). Clothing size wise, I wear a 12 on bottom (Large) and about a size medium on top. My height is 5'7. So really it just depends. Even when i got down to 186, I was just starting to be comfortable in a size 10. Needless to say it's hard to generalize which weight will match which size.
  • MsDellyssa
    MsDellyssa Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have an idea how a woman's weight relates to dress size?

I'm 202 lbs today and wear a 16. I know when I'm 180 lbs I wear a 14. But how do the other sizes run?

When I was your size, I was your size.. Does that sound right? Ha ha.. But seriously, when I weighed in the lower 200's I wore a 16, 180's a 14, and 170's a 12. I'm 5'6". I have no clue if I'm big boned, medium boned, or what. but I do know that is what it was when I was down there. (looking forward to seeing it again someday)
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I have clothes that are older than I care to admit that are size 10 that I wore when I was between 145 and 155 pounds. I have size 14 stuff that is newer that I can wear at about 190 pounds with no problem. I have older jeans that are size 14 that I couldn't even get up past my thighs. There is no rhyme or reason to clothing size, and I suspect vanity sizing is to blame. And then I consider this... Marilyn Monroe was a size 14 back in her heyday... and I can assure you my measurements are not what hers were. :noway:
  • StrawberryJam40
    StrawberryJam40 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have an idea how a woman's weight relates to dress size?

I'm 202 lbs today and wear a 16. I know when I'm 180 lbs I wear a 14. But how do the other sizes run?

For me it is that - a different size every 20-25 either lost or gained seems to equal a size for me. I can lose 20 or so then hit a wall and shrink a size. Or opposite in life...gain 20+ and go up a size. So I'd be around an 18 when I hit 200. But maybe a 16 since I'm trying to tone and not just lose weight with calorie deficit.
  • bd0027
    bd0027 Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I'm a 16/18 at around 240.
  • ladiablo
    ladiablo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Go to mybodygallery .com. It has a database of pictures from other women at different heights and weights and you just input yours and you can see how different body composition is for everyone.

So basically, there is no way to answer your question as truly everyone is different but this site is still neat to look at none the less.

Seconded! This site is really nifty.
  • GlynnisSapsfordHey
    GlynnisSapsfordHey Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    When I was 208 I was wearing a size 22/24 now I am 185 and wearing a size 18 jeans but a 18/20 top I feel your pain
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I consider it unpredictable. I'm five three, 129 lbs, and wear a size 10 in most things and an 8 in some. I always seem to wear bigger sizes than other people at my weight, despite being only 26% body fat at this point. People tell me they're five three and 120 lbs and wear a size two? lol.... no clue. none at all.
  • GatorDeb1
    GatorDeb1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Not mention I will fit in one company's size 5 and not in another company's size 12. Sizes are useless.

5'4", 119 lbs.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I consider it unpredictable. I'm five three, 129 lbs, and wear a size 10 in most things and an 8 in some. I always seem to wear bigger sizes than other people at my weight, despite being only 26% body fat at this point. People tell me they're five three and 120 lbs and wear a size two? lol.... no clue. none at all.

I was 115-125 for a long time (Same basic height) and went from a zero-2- at 115 to a 2-4 at 120-125
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    5'6" 120lbs size 6 in Lee straight leg jeans. Aren't tight but as a retired lady, they shouldn't be TOO tight. 10-15 lbs made a size change but only had 15 lbs to lose.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It varies from person to person. I'm about 175, 5'7", and I hover between a 14-16 pants because I wear my weight around my waist, but most people my weight/height are at least a size smaller. It really depends on how your weight is distributed.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" with longer legs, and shorter torso, larger in hips than bust.

When I weigh 200, I'm a size 18.

At 180, I wear a size 16.

When I weigh 160, I wear a size 14.

Ancient history:

At 140 I wore a 12

At 120 - 130 I wore a 10
  • cherbear427
    Options
    I do not think there is a formula for that. It depends on muscle, how your weight is distributed, etc.

I am 5'10" with long legs, average size torso, and large chest.

For example, when I weighed 185, I wore a size in pants & a 14 in dresses
    When I weighed around 175, I wore a size 10 in pants & a 12 in dresses
    I currently weigh 163, and I am wear a 6 or 8 & a size 10 in dresses.
  • lgriffithschall
    lgriffithschall Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Everyone's built differently, but I'm 5'7" 172 pounds with huge calves, larger thighs, and a long, smaller torso - I wear a 10 on top, a 12 on the bottom (put on the first tight 10 this morning...yay!) and a 10 dress.
  • sphkhn
    sphkhn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    The smaller I get the more sizes vary for me. When I was 180 I was almost always a 14, Now around 155-160 I have bought things ranging from 12-6 and they all fit! I have jeans that are 27-30". This is the smallest I have ever been as an adult so I really have no idea what size I'm going to be when I reach my goal. It takes me so much longer to shop now!!!
  • Skinny4ballet
    Options
    when i was 90-100lb, i wore a US size 0. at 98-110lb, i could still fit some US size 0 dress but mainly size 2. Now at 120lb I I'm probably mainly around US size 4.

And I'm 5"5
  • smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    At 5' tall and 164ish pounds, 34%BF right now...and I can wear anything from an 8 to a 14 depending on brand/cut/etc. When I make my own clothing I tend towards the medium side of things depending on the pattern manufacturer. And to confuse things even further I just bought a dress in a small that fits just fine.

Sizing really means nothing, hold it up, look at it and see if it is approximately you shaped, try it on and buy it if it is cute!