Women's sizes and weight

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    It depends on the brand, pretty much. At 213 I was in XL or 1X and 18, now at 133 I'm in 6s, 4s and S (if it's a brand that has XS size) or M otherwise (I have a medium/large frame).
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Weight has nothing to do with size. Your measurements and the manufacturer are the only things that will determine the "size" you wear.
  • queenb39
    queenb39 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am 221 lbs. and in a 24. I was in a 26-28.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Clothing sizes are so arbitrary it seems. I'm 5' 7", 183 lbs and I regularly wear clothes ranging from a UK size 10 to a UK 22. I generally fall in the 14-16 area.
  • mking1005
    mking1005 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8 and when I wear a size 8 usually weigh about 155
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,409 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10", and I weigh around 216. I'm a size 16/18 on bottom, and a L or XL on top. 30 lbs ago I was an 18 on bottom and an XL on top. Not much difference at all....in another 30 lbs I expect to maybe be all the way out of 18, but who the heck knows. It depends on the brand, cut, style, etc.

I will probably NEVER be a size 8. I think the smallest size I remember in high school was a 10, and I was a super active athlete.

I'm 5'9" and dropped 66lbs so far and can still just barely wear my old size 28 shorts without them falling off (watch out if I put keys and phone in my pockets though). However, I also have a pair of 3x (24/26 shorts) that are getting baggy and a pair of 26 which are as well. All my 4x tops (I am weird about how shirts fit) are now tent-like on me and I can wear some of my old 3x ones, all of them for size, some feel weird to me.

As you can tell, I haven't bought new clothes :P Even when I was an athlete (travel softball and hs rugby) as a teenager, I was never under a size 12, lol.
  • carolineat111
    carolineat111 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" 160lbs and wear a size 8, at 150lbs I wear a 6.
  • bluntlysally
    bluntlysally Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    sizing changes from brand to brand, as well as over time. so does your body.

so if in 1992, you were a size X, right now that very same clothes might be called a size Y (even assuming same brand).

also, if those pants that fit in 1992 when you were a size Q and Z lbs... it doesn't mean that your body will magically fit in the very same pants once you hit Z lbs again.

and if you did actually keep the pants AND fit into them at some magical, and likely different weight than when they fit originally, i can almost guarantee that they won't fit "right" anyways. both styles and shape of your body change. an exception would be if you gained and lost a lot in a short amount of time (1-2 years?) or are talking about a very small amount of weight (10-30 lbs).

going down in size is very exciting. i think i might end up at a size i never ever was "back when" - mostly because of all of the vanity sizing these days!! buuuuuuut, please focus on something other than size as a goal. like being able to do something longer, faster, lift more, etc...
  • Tracey_B_72
    Tracey_B_72 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"6 and I'm 141lbs right now and it tops I'm a small or a UK size 10, this summer I've been wearing a UK size 12 jeans but they fall off me so I've bit the bullet and can actually wear a UK size 10 skinny jean, the dress in my profile pic is a UK size 10, I'm aiming to get to 133lbs so I don't know if I'll own any UK size 8's by then, actually I do own one size 8 jumper.
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    When in high school I had to have my tonsils removed. I lost down to 130 lbs I could wear a 7/8 though I looked very unhealthy at that weight. I'm 5'7"ish . At 187 lbs I can wear some 12's and larger depending on maker/etc.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and must be oddly shapen because I'm in a 14-16 and weigh 163
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Teen sizes are so unpredictable. ~_~ 125-130lb I can wear a size 5-6 but also can wear up to a 10, it has a lot to do with the fitting and if the fabric stretches. I can also wear a kids 16.

They just need to do dresses by waist size instead of giving a single number that is meaningless.
  • deborahgillion55
    deborahgillion55 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    So true not worth working about. Manufacturers Chang a size up or a size down according to the need @ the time of a particular sale. Unbelievable but true.
    Does anyone have an idea how a woman's weight relates to dress size?

I'm 202 lbs today and wear a 16. I know when I'm 180 lbs I wear a 14. But how do the other sizes run?

Obviously this won't be exact--sometimes you need to size up or down because your own personal bust or hips don't match a particular designer's dimensions for a particular size. But in general, what has been your experience?

A group just formed today saying "I'll be size 8 by Christmas, you can count on me". I know by extrapolating my weight loss rate and then adding back a fudge-factor for screw-ups, that I should be in the vicinity of 170 by Christmas, but how that translates to size? Harder to predict. 14, like at 180? or 12? And where does the weight for "10" begin?
    First, clothing manufacturers get bored and change the sizes of certain garments just for the hell of it. They giggle at how all those women will order shorts and get them and have them be a size too big or small. They have to amuse themselves somehow.

I sell my clothes on eBay as I lose (because I go through them so fast!) and I'm always saying things like, "It's marked as an 18, but it's really more like a 20 than a 16." Sizes mean nothing!

I think it differs from person to person. I'm about 183 and in a 14, some 16. In a month or two, I'll start adding 12s. I'm just now getting rid of my last 18.

You go through sizes faster as you lose more. They add way more room between 2X and 3X than they do between 14 and 16.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,409 Member
    Options
    I consider it unpredictable. I'm five three, 129 lbs, and wear a size 10 in most things and an 8 in some. I always seem to wear bigger sizes than other people at my weight, despite being only 26% body fat at this point. People tell me they're five three and 120 lbs and wear a size two? lol.... no clue. none at all.

My 5'9 and 1/2" daughter weighs 125(I think) and wears a 0/1. Of course, she is 14 and still doesn't have hips, lol.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I wear the same size now as I did over 50 lbs heavier. It just really depends on your body type. I see people all the time my same weight who wear clothes much smaller than I do. And people much heavier than me wear the same size I do (Obviously since I wore that same size heavier and now)
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Women's clothing sizes make zero sense to me. I am 6'2".

I was 291lbs five years ago, wearing a size 20.
    I lost 100lbs through mostly cardio, and was a skinny-fat size 12 at 190lbs.
    I gained almost all of that weight back, and started again in September 2013 at 281lbs at a size 18.
    I am currently 215lbs wearing a very loose size 12/size 10 in some brands. So, I am 25lbs heavier - and am smaller than I was when I weighed 190lbs. Go figure.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    i honestly just wish someone would realize that not all size 20 girls are TALL!

Likewise, I wish someone would realize that not all size 2/4 girls are SHORT! Lol
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Interesting. It depends on your body comp. At 180 (and I am only 5'2) I was a size 10/12...and not tight either. The 12s were baggy, 10s fit just right
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    i honestly just wish someone would realize that not all size 20 girls are TALL!

Being 6'2", I wish more "tall" jeans actually were tall. Shorter people can fold the bottoms and take them to be hemmed. Tall people can not add length to pants if it doesn't exist to begin with. I wear a 36"-37" inseam in pants and have to spend a small fortune to find pants that I can wear.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'5, 140, us size 6 jeans/ s t-shirt

I'm 5'5", 133, size 8 pant. and small/medium shirt. Body type will greatly affect what size you wear. This is an example (see how we're the same height and roughly the same weight?