Still look awful in skinny jeans. Alternatives?

Options

Replies

• PSMTD
    PSMTD Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I love jeans from Express, some are a thicker material which is good to keep everything looking smooth. As for skinny jeans the scene from Superbad keeps playing in my head... Where Jonah Hill is trying them on in the store and they just look terrible on him. Regardless, if you want to wear them and they make you feel good who cares what other people think or how they look. I have a pear shaped body and still wear them because I feel good in them.
  • Catter_05
    Catter_05 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I look fine in skinny jeans with boots and I have a very round and perky *kitten* that is 11 inches bigger than my waist. I prefer boot cut. But the skinny style also looks fantastic with boots, and is a very cute look.

I love skinny jeans with tall boots.
    Why are people getting so weird in this thread?
    because it's MFP....

I love skinny jeans with tall boots too. I like boots and jeans. This is a weird thread...
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    skinny jeans look awful on everyone. I hate them so much. I mean you might as well go back to tight rolling the bottoms of your pants for godsakes is what I think when I see someone in them. stick to straight leg jeans. try on lots of different brands/styles and see what looks good on you just don't aim for skinny jeans... you can get the same exact look from yoga pants. lol
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Skinny jeans look ugly on everyone.

How so?

Seriously, can someone post a pic of a 'skinny jeans fail'?.....cause I've been googling it & with a very few exceptions, I just don't see it :angry:

If they look bad on everyone what's wrong with the way these girls look?

curvy-skinnyjeans01.jpg

I don't really like what's happening at their ankles. It looks like the pants are too long, in my opinion. Looks messy.

To be fair, that has nothing to do with the cut of the jeans...you don't like where the pants break & the stacking disturbs you, can easily be remedied by hemming. Still want to know what's so objectionable about skinny jeans. So what of skinny jeans that look like this:

c031be656a78554490b1e5f38f35bfc2.jpg

By the way, if you say you just don't like the way they look on you, I get it. Not every style is flattering to every figure, but I just don't see why only MFP peeps seem to dislike them so much :ohwell:

You asked about those specific pics and I gave my reason. Yes, the cut has to do with the entire piece, top to bottom. I never said that they look bad on everyone, but I do think that they look flattering on 1% or less of the population. Plus, none of those views show the rear end. Maybe try to find flattering butt shots if you're trying to convince others. :flowerforyou:

You misunderstand.
    I'm not trying to convince anyone and certainly not you. I don't know you or what you look like. You voiced an opinion, and I asked you to elaborate. No need for flowers, I'm trying to understand what's so unflattering about them.

I hate that they either choke the ankle or look messy at the ankle. I also agree that it's not the most flattering at the rear end. The flat butt look from earlier is an accurate depiction of what I've witnessed. And the cut at the waist is usually off as well. I either see the gap in the back or a muffin top. I hope you can now see why not everyone likes them, especially when their are much more flattering cuts like the boot flare.

No. What you are talking about is FIT. ANY style that you put on can look terrible if they don't fit correctly. I know that they extra around the ankle was a 'thing' for a hot second, but really most skinnies shouldn't have THAT much fabric left over -- it's like they don't know they need petite or to be hemmed! But you can have that issue with any cut -- I remember seeing girls wearing boot cuts or flares that would DRAG the ground until they shredded or frayed in the back. UGH. It's the same for the rear-view. I've seen PLENTY of ladies who appeared to have flat butt due to improperly fitting jeans.

To answer your question, though... The main reason so many people hate skinnies is because SOOO many women wear them WRONG. They either wear them so skin tight that they look like a sausage, so small they don't stay where they should (SO. MUCH. CRACK.), or any other myriad of reasons that just look awful. But I see it with all different types of jeans -- not just the skinnies. They just happen to be the trend thing right now that drives people nuts. And I get it. I do. But I also love them. LOVE. :heart: They fit my round booty fabulously!

Now that makes sense!...I couldn't for the life of me figure out why the only place I've ever heard they look terrible is on MFP!...I've had friend with ill-fitting jeans and I've seen people wear ill-fitted jeans. That never made me say I that the particular cut should never be worn on anyone :wink:

They look grrrreat on me. I've got curves and I look hawwt in them :laugh:
    Yanno I'm all about that bass :blushing:

Now high waisted jeans/shorts :huh: Absolutely NOT everyone can wear these. The context of the HWJ or shorts just doesn't always translate as flattering.

Can we agree that mom jeans are NOT a good look for anyone?....I personally would rather see badly worn skinnies than mom jeans.
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    hmm. Alternatives to skinny jeans are plentiful. I recommend any other cut that suits you. :happy: Not to go all Bubba Gump on you, but there's Boot Cut, Classic Cut, Flare jeans, Straight leg, and now they even have one dubbed Boyfriend jeans.

OR not jeans at all. Your call.

This may be a stretch, but you could even wear slacks, skirts, dresses, shorts, capris. If you've made it this long without breaking into the skinny jean world, I think you'll be fine OP. But if jeans are just your thing, maybe look into some of the other cuts mentioned above.

Cheers
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    hmm. Alternatives to skinny jeans are plentiful. I recommend any other cut that suits you. :happy: Not to go all Bubba Gump on you, but there's Boot Cut, Classic Cut, Flare jeans, Straight leg, and now they even have one dubbed Boyfriend jeans.

OR not jeans at all. Your call.

This may be a stretch, but you could even wear slacks, skirts, dresses, shorts, capris. If you've made it this long without breaking into the skinny jean world, I think you'll be fine OP. But if jeans are just your thing, maybe look into some of the other cuts mentioned above.

Cheers

:laugh: yes, there's this too.
    Bubba Gump made me LOL :heart:
  • spa407
    spa407 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Bootcut are out of fashion? Well, I've never been big on following all the fashion trends. Seems to me that bootcut, while the profile may change with the 'times', is always a fashion option. In all honesty, I don't think skinny jeans are flattering on most people (regardless of shape or size). Go with what you feel good in.
  • DarkMoon30
    DarkMoon30 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've officially given up on skinny jeans. I went and tried on a size 26 today. They fit but made me look gargantuan. I still have slight saddlebags and "hip dip"/protruding hipbones even at a size 2/4. My hiking pants make me look thin http://www.rockymountaintrail.com/Patagonia/Women's_Knifeblade_Pants/83285/detail . Any ideas on fashionable jeans that could look good on a 28-year-old with slight saddlebags. I've been wearing skirts and dresses pretty much exclusively since bootcut jeans went out of fashion

Levis do a nice curvy fit range
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I look fine in skinny jeans with boots and I have a very round and perky *kitten* that is 11 inches bigger than my waist. I prefer boot cut. But the skinny style also looks fantastic with boots, and is a very cute look.

because it's MFP....

I love skinny jeans with tall boots too. I like boots and jeans. This is a weird thread...

Totally agree. It's a cute look. I remember people being like this about capri pants 15 years ago when they were becoming popular and were still on the edgy side unlike now when they're mostly out. Same difference.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

because it's MFP....

Totally agree. It's a cute look. I remember people being like this about capri pants 15 years ago when they were becoming popular and were still on the edgy side unlike now when they're mostly out. Same difference.

I see. Skinny jeans are nostalgic to the late 80's. But, there are all different styles of skinny jeans now.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Wide leg or bootcut jeans... NOT skinny jeans or, worst of all, tapered legs. Those look awful on EVERYBODY. Palazzo pants or harem pants look great on all body types.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Wide leg or bootcut jeans... NOT skinny jeans or, worst of all, tapered legs. Those look awful on me. Palazzo pants or harem pants look great on all body types.

FIFY
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    Palazzo pants :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Different styles suit different body types. I can seriously rock a pair of skinny jeans and I know many others that can too.

Confidence speaks volumes :happy:
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Wide leg or bootcut jeans... NOT skinny jeans or, worst of all, tapered legs. Those look awful on EVERYBODY. Palazzo pants or harem pants look great on all body types.
    no
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I really don't pick out good clothes for myself. I had the saleswoman help me, she picked out pants I would have never chosen myself, and they looked great on me. One pair was a boot cut, but they were flared at bottom, and really made my legs look long and thin. I was surprised, I never thought I liked boot cut jeans.

The brand is JAG, they have some nice jeans in larger sizes.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options

because it's MFP....

I see. Skinny jeans are nostalgic to the late 80's. But, there are all different styles of skinny jeans now.

Just to clarify, I ADORE skinny jeans and wear them a lot. Same thing with capri pants, I realize they didn't come into being back in 1999 - think Audrey Hepburn and 50's-60's capris. I just meant that back in say, 1998-2001 I remember a lot of people (male and female) had unusually strong opinions about capri pants. Kind of like now, a lot of people really hate skinny jeans to an extreme...and I think it was even worse 4-5 years ago when they were mostly worn by teenage emo boys. Now they're becoming more of a staple, and styles have been developed that are flattering to MANY body types :-)
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options

Yeahh...no. Harem pants are ugly.

I look fantastic in skinnies. Booty be like 'Pow! Bam! Hell Yeah!'

Sorry for all of ya'll suffering from flatassedness.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options

Somebody's jealous.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

giphy.gif

Gonna pass
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

because it's MFP....

Just to clarify, I ADORE skinny jeans and wear them a lot. Same thing with capri pants, I realize they didn't come into being back in 1999 - think Audrey Hepburn and 50's-60's capris. I just meant that back in say, 1998-2001 I remember a lot of people (male and female) had unusually strong opinions about capri pants. Kind of like now, a lot of people really hate skinny jeans to an extreme...and I think it was even worse 4-5 years ago when they were mostly worn by teenage emo boys. Now they're becoming more of a staple, and styles have been developed that are flattering to MANY body types :-)

I knew what you meant.