Still look awful in skinny jeans. Alternatives?

Replies

• NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    As an anthropologist who studies human evolution the fixation on "hip dip" makes me crazy with rage and frustration. That is the shape off a human female pelvis. You are literally saying "I can see my bones and it makes me look/feel fat."

It's insane and harmful. If you can't handle a hip dip find a time machine and change evolution. (But seriously don't do that, female pelvises are a fine balance of many compromises.)
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    NaomiJ - Brand and retail location please! I'm definitely interested!!

My favorites were from Target about 3 years ago. I don't think they still have the exact same cut. Today, I traded in that pair at a clothing resale shop (it was huge) and was super lucky to find the exact same thing in a smaller size. I can't even describe how I'm rejoicing right now.

But a lot of brands do make similar things. I've been fairly lucky at stores like Ross and Burlington and TJMaxx. You have to look in the women's section, not the teen section.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    now somebody please tell me what's so awful about skinny jeans :huh:

Flat assed people say this.

say what?...ask what's wrong with skinnies?...or say they look terrible on everyone?
    this whole thing has me twisted :laugh:

Lol the latter. :laugh:
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Skinny jeans look ugly on everyone.

How so?

Seriously, can someone post a pic of a 'skinny jeans fail'?.....cause I've been googling it & with a very few exceptions, I just don't see it :angry:

If they look bad on everyone what's wrong with the way these girls look?

curvy-skinnyjeans01.jpg

I don't really like what's happening at their ankles. It looks like the pants are too long, in my opinion. Looks messy.

To be fair, that has nothing to do with the cut of the jeans...you don't like where the pants break & the stacking disturbs you, can easily be remedied by hemming. Still want to know what's so objectionable about skinny jeans. So what of skinny jeans that look like this:

c031be656a78554490b1e5f38f35bfc2.jpg

By the way, if you say you just don't like the way they look on you, I get it. Not every style is flattering to every figure, but I just don't see why only MFP peeps seem to dislike them so much :ohwell:
  • hookilau

say what?...ask what's wrong with skinnies?...or say they look terrible on everyone?

That+blackman+brings+the+sofa+everywhere+_cd6c57628eae48be2e99a744bfc9482e.jpg
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member

How so?

Seriously, can someone post a pic of a 'skinny jeans fail'?.....cause I've been googling it & with a very few exceptions, I just don't see it :angry:

curvy-skinnyjeans01.jpg

I don't really like what's happening at their ankles. It looks like the pants are too long, in my opinion. Looks messy.

To be fair, that has nothing to do with the cut of the jeans...you don't like where the pants break & the stacking disturbs you, can easily be remedied by hemming. Still want to know what's so objectionable about skinny jeans. So what of skinny jeans that look like this:

By the way, if you say you just don't like the way they look on you, I get it. Not every style is flattering to every figure, but I just don't see why only MFP peeps seem to dislike them so much :ohwell:

You asked about those specific pics and I gave my reason. Yes, the cut has to do with the entire piece, top to bottom. I never said that they look bad on everyone, but I do think that they look flattering on 1% or less of the population. Plus, none of those views show the rear end. Maybe try to find flattering butt shots if you're trying to convince others. :flowerforyou:
  • hookilau
    As an anthropologist who studies human evolution the fixation on "hip dip" makes me crazy with rage and frustration. That is the shape off a human female pelvis. You are literally saying "I can see my bones and it makes me look/feel fat."

It's insane and harmful. If you can't handle a hip dip find a time machine and change evolution. (But seriously don't do that, female pelvises are a fine balance of many compromises.)

So-Do-You-Want-More-Ryan-Gosling_zps22d4af1c.gif
  • hookilau

How so?

curvy-skinnyjeans01.jpg

You asked about those specific pics and I gave my reason. Yes, the cut has to do with the entire piece, top to bottom. I never said that they look bad on everyone, but I do think that they look flattering on 1% or less of the population. Plus, none of those views show the rear end. Maybe try to find flattering butt shots if you're trying to convince others. :flowerforyou:

You misunderstand.
    I'm not trying to convince anyone and certainly not you. I don't know you or what you look like. You voiced an opinion, and I asked you to elaborate. No need for flowers, I'm trying to understand what's so unflattering about them.
  • GrammyPeachy
    GrammyPeachy Posts: 1,723 Member
    I am guessing you have not done any weight training? That type of exercise makes an attractive body shape.

I work 12 hours a day pushing a mower and swinging around a line trimmer. I have 20% BF. No time or energy for weight training

You're a size 26 and have 20% body fat??

I can't see how this is true.
    I'm guessing, she means size 26" waist.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    I look fine in skinny jeans with boots and I have a very round and perky *kitten* that is 11 inches bigger than my waist. I prefer boot cut. But the skinny style also looks fantastic with boots, and is a very cute look. Why are people getting so weird in this thread?
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    I look fine in skinny jeans with boots and I have a very round and perky *kitten* that is 11 inches bigger than my waist. I prefer boot cut. But the skinny style also looks fantastic with boots, and is a very cute look.

I love skinny jeans with tall boots.
    Why are people getting so weird in this thread?
    because it's MFP....
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    I look fine in skinny jeans with boots and I have a very round and perky *kitten* that is 11 inches bigger than my waist. I prefer boot cut. But the skinny style also looks fantastic with boots, and is a very cute look.

because it's MFP....

:laugh: :tongue: :flowerforyou:
  • hookilau

because it's MFP....

O wait....what's wrong with me? :blushing:
    you're right. It's MFP. :laugh:
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member

How so?

curvy-skinnyjeans01.jpg

You misunderstand.
    I'm not trying to convince anyone and certainly not you. I don't know you or what you look like. You voiced an opinion, and I asked you to elaborate. No need for flowers, I'm trying to understand what's so unflattering about them.

I hate that they either choke the ankle or look messy at the ankle. I also agree that it's not the most flattering at the rear end. The flat butt look from earlier is an accurate depiction of what I've witnessed. And the cut at the waist is usually off as well. I either see the gap in the back or a muffin top. I hope you can now see why not everyone likes them, especially when their are much more flattering cuts like the boot flare.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Yeah, for me, skinny jeans only work with boots. It balances everything out. Otherwise, I look like an inverted triangle...very wide hips over very narrow ankles. That's not flattering to me, for myself. But boots help with the proportions. I'll also only wear them with longer and slightly billowy tops. Tight over tight does not work for me. Sometimes you just have to play around and try on a million things until you find something that makes you shine.
  • ge105
    ge105 Posts: 268 Member
    I'd say you have to try on all the jeans in the store to find 1 that looks good- no matter what anyone in this thread reccomends.
  • huggymama
    huggymama Posts: 12 Member
    OP - have you tried Levis? I personally think the 501s look sexy on a woman with curvy hips, or 'saddlebags' as you put it!
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member

Nope. Big ol' round booty here. I dig it -- and it looks fantastic in jeans!
  • hookilau

That+blackman+brings+the+sofa+everywhere+_cd6c57628eae48be2e99a744bfc9482e.jpg
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member

How so?

curvy-skinnyjeans01.jpg

You misunderstand.

I hate that they either choke the ankle or look messy at the ankle. I also agree that it's not the most flattering at the rear end. The flat butt look from earlier is an accurate depiction of what I've witnessed. And the cut at the waist is usually off as well. I either see the gap in the back or a muffin top. I hope you can now see why not everyone likes them, especially when their are much more flattering cuts like the boot flare.

No. What you are talking about is FIT. ANY style that you put on can look terrible if they don't fit correctly. I know that they extra around the ankle was a 'thing' for a hot second, but really most skinnies shouldn't have THAT much fabric left over -- it's like they don't know they need petite or to be hemmed! But you can have that issue with any cut -- I remember seeing girls wearing boot cuts or flares that would DRAG the ground until they shredded or frayed in the back. UGH. It's the same for the rear-view. I've seen PLENTY of ladies who appeared to have flat butt due to improperly fitting jeans.

To answer your question, though... The main reason so many people hate skinnies is because SOOO many women wear them WRONG. They either wear them so skin tight that they look like a sausage, so small they don't stay where they should (SO. MUCH. CRACK.), or any other myriad of reasons that just look awful. But I see it with all different types of jeans -- not just the skinnies. They just happen to be the trend thing right now that drives people nuts. And I get it. I do. But I also love them. LOVE. :heart: They fit my round booty fabulously!