WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2014

Options

Replies

• MimiPersists
    MimiPersists Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm caught up with reading! Wow.

For those with low BP but on BP meds, I hope you'll call your doctors and adjust your meds asap. No sense dragging around, being lightheaded, etc. My mom thinks her low BP was due to dehydration and is working on drinking more. She also cut down on her BP meds. Seems to be helping. She sees a new doc today (her old one moved). I hope this one will have some ideas about how to stop the diarrhea that's plagued her for most of a month - and is probably at the bottom (oops...didn't mean the pun:wink: ) of the dehydration issues.

For those of you struggling with appetite. I find that I have WAY less craving for food of various sorts when I stay away from refined sugar. I've let a little sugar creep in here and there but I can always tell the difference. When I'm off sugar (and off bread too - a trigger for me) eating well, without any struggle to stay on track, is amazingly easy. :smile: When I'm eating sugar, I struggle all the way. :grumble:

Someone mentioned getting a FitBit. I plan to get one this month too. Kim mentioned that she'd bought hers on CL (Craigslist - oh how I love you!) for much less than retail. I'm looking. I don't see any sense in paying retail for something that works just as well used. There are some things I don't like to buy used (like shoes - but even then...) but I'm definitely a second-hand-Rose kind of gal. My mom laughs about my dad giving her an engagement ring he bought from someone who suddenly didn't have a need for it.

I actually like to buy second-hand furniture. I think about who might have used it before and imagine that it was treated lovingly by many people over the years. So much more character than new. (At least to me.)

Even my little dog was second-hand as she was a rescue from the SPCA. I got her when she was 6 months old. I can't imagine why someone gave her away :love: . She does have the most awful bark, which my dad calls a screech :noway: . He claims that was the reason she was given away but she didn't really start barking until she was 1.

I'm waiting for her new citronella bark collar to come. Her last one quit working. She does find a way around it when she's had it on for long but it helps. I met someone the other day who had a Jack Russell terrier. He put a citronella collar on his dog but the dog learned to turn his head so the spray wouldn't hit him and barked away :laugh: . My nephew's American Bulldog learned that a high pitch wouldn't set the collar off so he started barking and whining in a high pitch. Pretty funny.

The vet recommended a trainer to help stop the barking. I sent an email but never heard back. Just as well. The trainer/boarder had such glowing reviews, I let my sister know so she could board her dog there when needed. She called. The charge is $1,000 per week for combination boarding/training. I have a feeling training by itself will probably be well beyond my budget. :tongue:

I'm heading for the gym. :happy:

Mimi
    :heart:
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    TGIF~~
    Another cool day in IL.
    Welcome new ladies.
    hugs jane
  • janejanekitt
    Options
    Terrible arthritis day today, going on prednisone again which makes dieting harder. Can hardly move, though . Gotta do something. send good strong willpower wishes, please. Hope everybody is well or getting better. Jane in NNY :flowerforyou:
  • dinaesia
    dinaesia Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    We're having a cold front and man, does it feel good! Two days ago, we set a new record high for Sept. of 100 degrees. (my car said 104!!) We were supposed to have rain yesterday (we got zip. zilch. nada.) and again today. Our heavy rain passed to the north, we got .10 inch. BUT it is a BEAUTIFUL 68 degrees!
    The other day I made a pork roast. Last night I turned the leftovers into cottage pie. It was very good. Tonight Sis is cooking. She's making chili in the slow-cooker and made a beef/noodle casserole for lunch. :noway:

Heather - I would love to see Cornwall. I'm a big fan of Rosamunde Pilcher, whose books are set there.

Pat - try Fage (fah-ye) yogurt. You can add your own fruit.

On migraines - they run in my family, particularly in the women. Mom has had them for years, My Sis#1 has them, she get imitrex shots. I have what are called basilar migraines. I haven't had one since 1998. But I used to see colored spots before my eyes, then I would pass out. When I came to, I would have an upset stomach for the rest of the day. Never had the headache part.
    One time I was visiting my Sis#1, she had a book about migraines. I read it while I was there. It was very informative. It covered the different types of migraines, the numerous triggers and treatments. That was how I found out about mine. I didn't know it was actually a type of migraine. I was told it was a "fainting spell."

Mimi - Hope your mom feels better soon. We keep Gatorade and AZ green tea on hand. BTW, Coconut is a natural remedy for diarrhea. What about Caesar, the dog whisperer? Doesn't he have a book? Maybe he has some ideas on barking?

Sylvia - Your cardiologist needs an attitude adjustment. You've lost 100+ lbs, and kept it off for over a year. I believe you've proved your point .He should adjust your meds. Hope you can solve this issue.

Welcome to all the new members!

Diane in TX
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,803 Member
    Options
    Mimi~your right. about the sugar thing.. I made the mistake of stopping at Burger king on the way home:grumble: , bad bad bad...
    and now feel horrible... that is it.. done finished kaput!!! no more sugar for me, exp for the 1/2 tsp of truvia in my tea.. will eat fruits but nothing processed..I will stay with my english muffins as they are sprouted grains with no sugar.. I am going to write a list of the foods I like that dont have sugar in them and keep it on the fridge.. but will try and keep it on the up and up..
    DH and I have the weekend off, the Eastern States Exposition starts this weekend up in Mass. maybe we can go to that on Sunday.. but go early cause weekends are just crazy up there.. the one good thing about going up there there is alot of walking.. but also alot of food...:huh:
  • MA_B
    MA_B Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone

I've just uploaded my photos onto my computer and amazingly I've found a photo with me on it - so sorry I'm inflicting it on you! If you look carefully you can see that even at a party I'm wearing my fitbit ultra! I've also uploaded a couple of me with Charlie at a couple of our displays! So, it'll make a change to have humans instead of just dogs in the photos!!

Must stop messing with my computer - we're off to Wales tomorrow to take son's stuff back to Uni - he's taking my little car, but we need to take his stuff in a trailer so we're staying overnight in the camper! A long drive so need to get to bed! Goodnight all. I'll be back to wifi again next week!

MA in England UK (at least for a few more hours - then Wales for the weekend!)
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Saturday here and my 2nd day of NO training for the week.
    Walking the dog, cleaning house, ironing and gardening, but I do miss training.
    Posted my food etc and printed the sheet for the doctor to see. Bought Old El Passo soft stand and stuff taco shells so making that for lunch
    Food cals at 1680 so that is OK and my fibre is 26g, Jeannette Jenkins wants me above 20g fibre so OK with that.
    At least a spring day here for walking the dog and gardening.
    Taking my meds and slathering cream on my body after shower. Will be glad to start back training next week if doctor says OK to re-start. I have done body building training since 1980 when I joined the Australian Army Reserves at age 32 and needed to get stronger and fitter to keep up. 100 guys and 12 girls
    I LOVE my FitBit Flex and it said I did 9457 steps yesterday just walking the dog and cleaning

Sugar free yogurt. Tom Venuto ONLY recommends Chiobani Greek Yogurt with or without fruit, the only sugar comes ONLY from the fruit

Lesley in Tasmania
  • moparjer
    moparjer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose as much as I wanted to in August. I love the graphics at the beginning of this thread! I hope everyone's doing well and keep walking! Let me know if any of you have a FitBit so we can be friends on there as well! www.fitbit.com/user/2T4CTS. I'm in groups: 10,000 step club, Fit Bit 2014 Challenge, 50+ Menopausal Woman, etc., and The Home Depot. Would love to stay motivated and lose weight together!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    Joyce - I'm so sorry about the chair problem

Cynthia - I realize I'm allowed a cinnamon roll, heck I even kept it within my calorie range. But I just would like to get to the point where something like that doesn't interest me at all.

Well last night Denise calls, says she bought a car. See, Pete (SFB, her bf) had an accident in one of her cars and with the high mileage on it and the fact that it's an older car, I'm thinking the insurance co. is going to declare it a total. Anyway, come to find out that its not that he bought it, but his step-father did. What bothers me is that his mother and step-father aren't doing anything at all to help prepare them for the future, for when they aren't around to buy them furniture, buy them cars, cosign for apartments. What is going to happen when his parents are no longer in the picture? I can guarantee that they're going to buy them a house. He (Pete) is a painter, just has a high school diploma. Denise will get an Associates Degree next May compliments of us paying 100% (plus something towards her rent). At least this will open SOME doors. But really if she wants to continue, she really needs at least a Batchelor's (which we're willing to pay for in full, only she needs to be a full time student, no more of this part time stuff where it takes her something like 7 years to get just an Associates degree). He's a good talker, he should probably be a used car salesman. But looking at his posts on Facebook, the grammar!!! Right now he's a painter for his step-father. Oh, this is the man who threw him out of the house when we were in PA. I'm just sick knowing that this isn't helping them for the future. But what can I do? Where did I go wrong? Bryan talks to me only when he has to, now Denise.....

Last night it was almost as if Lance was saying "time for insulin". He let me pick him up and Vince gave it to him

Did an hour of deep water today after taking my aluminum to the humane society. Planning to do Jari Love Extremely Ripped 1000 DVD tomorrow and then go to the farmer's market.

Jess and Kris are on their way here. They should be here in about another hour. I believe Jess wants to bake the cake here.

After exercise, came home and cut the lawn. I used the tractor (go me!) and the push behind. Admitted, I'm not real good on the tractor. As a matter of fact, at one point I did a lot of riding and didn't realize it but I didn't have the blades engaged! Then went in the pool, then vacuumed out the spa (we'll need to run the robotic cleaner tomorrow but at least Jess and Kris can use the spa tonight if they want to). Have some more of the chocolate bran muffins in the oven, have my dinner ready. Made a lasagna last night for Jess, Kris and Vince. I got a spaghetti squash at Aldi yesterday so I'll have that.

D'Anna - welcome! Come here for lots of motivation

Sylvia - so sorry to hear about your friend. I'll keep him in my prayers. Will your friend negotiate the price of the Jag? Especially if you tell her that the blue book value is only $4,000

Istanis - welcome. We're so glad you found us! Congrats on the teriffic weight loss.

katla - I'm an only child, too. and I'm not very competitive. Now Vince is an only child but he's quite competitive. I know that at the soup kitchen, many times they ask for sweets as they have recovering alcoholics and that helps them to satisfy their desire for alcohol. I agree with you, a DVD or an app just isn't the same as a yoga class.

Vicki - post that pic!

Pat - I don't know about you, but I find it so frustrating when I need to get new glasses I have to buy new frames, too. So many times I just wish they'd take the lenses out of the old frames and use those. Does the yoplait yogurt have that aspertame sulfame in it? That's NASTY stuff. Most plain yogurts don't have any added sugar, I add honey to mine or fresh fruit. If the fruit was frozen, as it defrosts there is more "juice"

Cindy - lentil quinoa -- sounds very very interesting. Care to share?

mimi - I like to go to thrift shops, too. One of the things that I won't buy there, tho, is a bathingsuit. Or underwear (unless it's new).

Jane in NNY - hope you feel better fast

MA - I think your pic is gorgeous

Jess and Kris came here. I didn't realize they were as hungry as they were. Fortunately, I had the lasagna already baked, only I had it in the refrig so we had to put it in the microwave to warm up. I also made some garlic bread and they had a salad. I had spaghetti squash, tomato sauce, and this pepper and onion mixture. Just had grapes for dessert, but I had the chocolate chip cookies for them. Jessica wanted more of the grapes, tho.

Then Jess and I went to WalMart, got a few things, she needed white icing for her cakes. Then we went to AC Moore for fondant. Came home and she made the cakes, which was good for me because normally I would have been tempted to have a BLT but didn't. Made more of the cocoa/tofu drinks for me and then made a key lime pie for them for dessert tomorrow. It's just too easy.

Welcome new people that I didn't mention.

Michele in NC
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,092 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I got an e mail this morning (sent last night) inviting me to lunch today....I hate restaurants and would rather go for a walk with friends, but I accepted the invitation. It was from three of my line dance students who ended up buying my lunch and telling me how much they like the class. When they asked me where I wanted to go, I told them anywhere except "fast food"....we went to a great Thai restaurant where I ordered chicken curry and ate it without the rice.

:flowerforyou: When I got home I had a call from our friends that Jim house-sits for.....they are up here for the weekend and wanted to get together for dinner but not at their house because the house sitters are there so we told them to come here and we'd fix dinner. She brought fabulous roasted vegetables,. I made baked chicken like I do for us. Jake wanted mashed potatoes for a side dish so we bought red potatoes and I made gravy to go with them. For dessert we bought frozen yogurt and we had berries in the freezer. I ate chicken and veggies and ate only berries for dessert, so we had a festive company meal but my food was just like what I normally eat.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: It's way past my bedtime. Jake did all the dishes so everything is clean.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Oh my… last post was 9/8….and that was a partial… my god son (22 years old) came for 3 days and he decided that what he wanted to do was learn to make cocktails:wink: ..one of my favorite things:wink::wink: … so for 3 days we drank… not that bad actually… he had to learn to make simple syrup and muddle and presentation, and strain seeds/pulp out of fruit, we spent an evening at my favorite bar with my favorite bartender learning from her… and also understanding tipping…

It was great fun. But bad to my diet ( up ½ lb.. ) and no catching up with you all… so here I go…

Cynthia – glad the windows are done, and pup is getting better…

Heather – great new pic!!!! Mushy peas sound like spilt pea soup without the soup.

Patty – 8lbs off on vacation – awesome!!!! I think the YMCA is missing the boat; you offered them a great deal – the bottom line is you need to take care of you.. Maybe you can teach enough at LA Fitness to say Bye Bye to the YMCA…

Sylvia – I love kale chips, but learned that they have to cook longer and slower; and spaghetti squash, cut in ½ scoop out seeds – put cut side down in a 9x13 pan add a inch of water – cover with foil or a lid; and bake in a 350 oven for 30-40 min depending on size….

Janejanekitt – I call them off the plan meals… not full days and not cheat as that seems like I have done something wrong… but if my logging says I am within goal than it is not off plan… for me off plan usually means I don’t log; because what I am eating is too much work to figure out how to log…

Sue in UK– keep up the good work
    Beth – hang in finances are tough….
    Brenda – Wow – exercising in the hospital… that’s awesome.

Joyce, I would have done what Charlie did, but with vanilla soft serve –

Mimi – Glad mom got an “overhaul”! sometimes if plain water is hard, water with sliced fruit or cucumbers helps

Laura – great idea to make sure you realize what you are doing…

Pat – that 90 year old dancing will be what Barbie will be doing when she is 90!

Carol – Keeping you in my thoughts!!!

Trulabfloyd – booze has so many calories… I do alternate a “drink” and then a water…and usually do white wine, and get the bartender to do ½ wine, ½ soda water in each glass… helps with calories and will me throwing caution to the wind.
    Beth – that was so rude, and says something about her walking the Christian walk…hmmm… I know it hurt, but it is really good you know where she is, forgiving is very good of you, but don’t forget, and adjust how much you trust her appropriately…

I worked with a gal who was deaf, do you read lips? Are you aided?

Beth – talking to a friend out here with a slightly disabled daughter and she found that the local senior center as a board with cards from local personal care assistants that she can take advantage of even though she is far from a senior… so that may be a resource for your son also.

Istanisz79 – welcome

MA – very fun to see you!

September goals:
    Stretch 5 minutes 8 times done 2 times
    Walk 100 miles -16.34 = 83.66 to go
    Do 4 errands walking (from home or a 15 minute walk from the place the car is parked)
    Do Heather’s abc balance 2 time a week – 1 done

Kim from N. California
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Left this morning at 7 and got home at midnight so don't have time to read any posts, will try to catch up with that tomorrow/

Today was grand parents day at DGD elementary school. I guess they don't have that at middle schools. I am sorry to say that even thought they live about 3 hours 15 minutes away, this is the first year we have gone. And the look when you go to your gran daughter's classroom and her teacher announces, Ellie your grand parents are here, in front of all of the other students is just priceless. It's the small things that bring those smiles. She then was our hostess at lunch. And they conveniently had a book fair on the same day!!!! Well grandpa has a hard time saying no. after we were done we drove in Lexington and went to the Apple genius bar to see why y iPad isn't slowing down. Simple solution! We then went back to their house to wait on the kids getting home When she got home she had to display her ballet talent. She is now in her third 3 month course of lessons so of course is very talented!!! Went to supper and dropped the older one off for a slumber party. My daughter didn't like that one bit. She thought that since we were there she should have cancelled the slumber party. Well it was a birthday party for a really good friend and she has gone every year. And she is a teenager and we know as she grows she will have commitments and I enjoy watching her grow, socially, physically and emotionally. That means going to parties even if we are there. Christina had a gift card from Kohls putting a hole in her pocket. I wish I knew how to get those. Kohls send them to her!!!! so while we were there we looked at more things for a swimsuit cover up. I really wasn't saitfied at the one I bought at Old Navy for $15. It's just a white sundress, knee length. But my sandals are white, dress white, sun hat white, legs, arms and chest and back are white. I am a white pale body on the beach. I wanted a summer breezy, maxi sleeveless dress. So There a Vera Wang dress that fit the bill, a $70 dress as a swim suit cover up! But it was 50% off,so down to $35. Take back to $15 one to Old Navy, sow it is down to $20!!! OK, That I will do. So Vera Wang will just have to do with her summer flirty dress being used a swim suit cover up and wading around in the surf in it!!! Cause these thighs are not going to be seen on that beach!

Joyce, Indiana
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,803 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    I just peaked out the window here in the DH office and it is fall in New England,it is 51 degree's out and the leaves are starting to change color... this is my favorite time of the year...
    I havent really talked to the DH so dont know the plans for the weekend.. but I will be grocery shopping tomorrow a.m, early will see if he wants to go to the big E or not..
    we could go next weekend on Sunday as Saterday is our 17th wedding anniversary...we shall see...
    i am going to peruse the internet to see if I can find some type of meal plan that is wholesome food that fills me up.. that is good for me..
    do any of you have food that you love and make a batch ,and then take to work for lunches?
    i will take suggestions if any of you have any..
  • JennInTx
    JennInTx Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I can't believe that it's already the middle of September. Fall slid into Dallas yesterday. It's 56 degrees outside. I've opened up all of my windows. The fresh air and crisp air is wonderful. I love this time of year. Unfortunately, we only seem to get a few days of it. But I'll take all I can get.

It's been a challenging week. Not much time to write, but always find a few minutes to read the posts. I went in for a 2nd mammogram on Tuesday and they insisted I do an ultrasound. Found some "changes" they didn't like, so they want to biopsy the area. I'll just put it out there. I'm scared. And to make matters worse, I was scheduled for next week, but they called yesterday and said that because of a scheduling issue, they have to push it back to Oct. 6. The nurse said that there was nothing in the reports to be alarmed about, but I will be calling other facilities to get this done NOW.

This has been the most stressful year. I started a new job in February. My parents (in their late 70's and mid 80's) haven't been well. My only brother (age 44) passed away unexpectedly in May. And now this. I want to turn to food in the worse way, but for now, I've been able to keep those urges under control. It helps to read everyone else's challenging moments and hear how everyone handles demons/weaknesses/challenges... life.

I think I'll take my wonderful dog, Moose for a walk this morning... clear my head...get ready for the challenges ahead of me. I hope everyone has a great weekend.

Jenn In Texas
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :heart: Jenn, you need extra hugs today for all that's gone on in your life recently and extra gold stars for not trying to fix it with food. Walking with your dog is always a good way to brighten the day.....also prayer, meditation, and music

:heart: :heart: hugs to you from Barbie, Brandy and Sasha (the frisky poodles)
  • strassenkoenigin
    Options
    Jenn

I would call them and insist that they schedule you immediately. How can they scare you so much and then they say "Oh there is really nothing to be alarmed about". And then push it back a few weeks.These people forget that they deal with human beings, not only a calendar.

Sometimes when it rains it pours. These middle age years can be very stressful. You are responsible for children and parents and you have to deal with the rest of life too. Everybody goes through that and it is not easy.

Great that you are not making up for it with food. You would only add another stress factor if you suddenly find yourself gaining weight again.

Anne in the Mojave desert
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    Dear Jenn:flowerforyou: Big hugs to you. Plan a special treat for yourself that is not food based. Massage? Manicure? Bubble bath? New book? I have just bought How To Stay Sane for my Kindle. :happy: Well done for not turning to food. It was breast cancer that put the weight on me this time around as I ate for comfort. But it is NOT the answer and just leaves you more miserable. It sounds as if they are just playing safe and you are probably ok. Good luck with the investigations.:flowerforyou:

I am tired, but glad to be back home. I have cancelled tomorrow's trip to the brewery birthday party. Thank goodness. Still got loads of washing to do. Gardening.:ohwell: I got back into my exercising this morning and so far eating is on plan.:bigsmile: I am not weighing in until Monday to let the glycogen water disperse. Then I will know the real damage.:noway:

This morning I went to a craft fair with my friend at the village hall, but only came home with a nice card and a lemon drizzle cake for DH. I will slice it and freeze the slices, then I won't be tempted.
    I have just done a food delivery order for Monday night. My main objective is to get back to my typing. I really missed it while I was busy with the grandchildren and on holiday. I want to get that old book finished and out there ! ! ! ! ! !

So ladies, I am determined to eat my normal regime from now on and banish any extra poundage by the time I go to NYC.:laugh: The good news is that my clothes still fit. I got several compliments today from the stallholders about my cardigan which was the last thing I bought from M&S.

I am a slim woman and I am eating slim. :bigsmile: :laugh: :tongue:

Love to all, Heather in sunny and beautiful Hampshire UK
  • strassenkoenigin
    Options
    Barbie

I am like you, I avoid get-togethers with food, especially restaurants visits. When friends want to meet we go for a walk, look at an exhibition or go to the movies (without popcorn) or a ballet or concert.

A few weeks back I asked you why your doctors told you that you should keep your weight in the 120s instead of the 110 and it must have got lost in the shuffle. How tall are you? I am 5'4 and all the weight recommendation charts say that my ideal weight would be in the 110s.

Anne in the Mojave desert