Do you eat breakfast?

Options

Replies

• Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I am about to start smacking my head against the wall. You do NOT have to eat breakfast.

Don't hurt yourself! :wink: I eat breakfast, and I like it, but I have close family members that simply cannot stomach breakfast. To each their own. For me, it works and gives me a positive reason to wake up on time.

That being said, when I'm feeling like I want a bigger breakfast (AKA, Pumpernickel Everything Bagel from a local shop), I just have coffee in the morning and then eat brunch instead of lunch. It's fun to mix it up from time to time.

Find out what fits your schedule and makes you feel productive throughout the day. This may involve experimentation. Good luck!
  • liftnlove_
    liftnlove_ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I LOVE breakfast. It's my favorite meal of the day. I usually eat around 300 cals for breakfast because I eat 6-7 times a day. Lots of people do not eat breakfast and do great with IF and other plans. Just depends on your lifestyle, goals, and preferences. I'm starving when I wake up, so breakfast is always a GO for me. :)
  • dizzysmile
    dizzysmile Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Sometimes. I usually only need it on mornings where I wake up early, and I devote very few calories to it, maybe 100-220.

Much of the time, eating in the morning is just nauseating for me, so I usually only bother if I'm extremely hungry and lunch is far off.
  • cqoconnell
    cqoconnell Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Eating breakfast is essential for me. Before I started MFP, I always skipped breakfast because I simply didn't feel hungry in the morning. I'd start work, then of course hunger would hit, but I wouldn't want to stop working, so I'd grab chips and eat mindlessly. I make poor decisions when I get hungry/low blood sugar. I usually eat one egg +2 whites, or two servings of Special K protein with 1/2 cup skim milk.
  • chilly1470
    chilly1470 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my breakfast. The time and the food. I usually am alone with the kids off to school and the wife at work. I drink my one daily cup of coffee, eat my cereal and drink my juice. I keep my breakfasts around 500 calories. It cannot be stated enough, this is the most important meal of the day, especially to the "dieter". I don't like that word, but nothing else would fit there. This is your energy buzz that gets you going. It gets the system in gear and sets you up for burning all day. It is your fuel for the day, at least until lunch.
  • Teresa_3266
    Teresa_3266 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast everyday and it almost always the exact thing. Two eggs, slice of American cheese, and whole-wheat English muffin with butter. Along with at least 2 cups of coffee. That totals just about 500 calories which is a good chunk of my day. But I might not eat again until very late afternoon or evening depending on what I'm doing at work.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    You should always eat breakfast! Otherwise it slows down your metabolic rate and it becomes harder to lose weight. Even if it's just a piece of fruit, you should ALWAYS eat breakfast.

:noway: Sorry, wrong answer.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    8% of my calories.
  • Sie_Con
    Sie_Con Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I always eat breakfast and I'm usually very hungry within an hour of waking up. I try to eat at least 20 g of protein at breakfast, and it usually falls between 400-450 calories (out of 1800). 2 cups of coffee with 2 scrambled eggs and toast, or yogurt with nuts and berries, or any variety of leftovers.
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I do, and its usually between 800 and 1200 cals (approx 30-40% in a typical day). Its usually some mix of weetabix, a latte, eggs and a sandwich/bagel. On running/cycling/swimming mornings, I'd also have a banana.

Not exactly sure why I think I need to eat so much; but it seems to work. After this I can usually "go small" for lunch and/or dinner.
  • Vincisomethng
    Vincisomethng Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Every day, even the days that I wake up late. I don't skip meals. I often don't go over 500 calories for breakfast, but it's usually around 300-400 calories. Occasionally, I'll have pancakes, waffles, or french toast, but usually it's a fruit smoothie with greens mixed in or oatmeal with fruits, nut butter, and/or nuts.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Honestly I'm not a morning eater never have been it just makes me cranky.
  • norhavic
    Options
    graciiekim it is a wrong idea to miss breakfast ,breakfast it is the most important meal in the day and bielive it or no you need breakfast to lose wieght . just try to eat a healty breakfast and rich of vitamins and mineral egg ...
  • nam985
    nam985 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I would love to be one of those people who wakes up and has breakfast first thing. However, I am not usually hungry when I wake and tend to get quite queasy in the mornings if I eat soon after getting up. As a child I would pack something like yogurt and a granola bar or some fruit and cheese to munch on at recess, after I had been awake for a couple hours. Now I usually make myself a smoothie (~300 kcal) that I can sip on throughout the morning, or some yogurt with fruit and chia seeds (~300 kcal) that I will have around 10-ish.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    graciiekim it is a wrong idea to miss breakfast ,breakfast it is the most important meal in the day and bielive it or no you need breakfast to lose wieght . just try to eat a healty breakfast and rich of vitamins and mineral egg ...

No matter how many times this gets said or how many ways you say it, it's still misinformation. Plenty of people lose weight just fine without eating breakfast.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Favorite meal of the day!!!!! Coffee, of course, with a healthy splash of heavy cream. (Can't and won't give this up!) Lots of veggies, usually what ever I have prepped in the fridge (peppers, broccoli, mushrooms, etc...) 3 Turkey sausage links, and eggs (usually 1 egg and 1/2 c. egg beaters.) If I am feeling "puny" I will add a slice of Dave's Killer Bread, thin sliced. I put the sausage on along with the coffee water, and hop in the shower. 10 minutes later, I add hot water to coffee press and chop the sausage and toss in a sauté pan with veggies. 5 minutes later pour my coffee, and add eggs to pan. 3 minutes later...BREAKFAST!!!! Shower and food in under 20 minutes!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yes, about 400 calories, which is on average about a quarter of my calories.
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    breakfast can be any time of the day, hence the break fast.
  • lucasmoten
    lucasmoten Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    You should always eat breakfast! Otherwise it slows down your metabolic rate and it becomes harder to lose weight. Even if it's just a piece of fruit, you should ALWAYS eat breakfast.

^^^ This... has no basis in fact.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    breakfast can be any time of the day, hence the break fast.

This.

I have breakfast typically one to two hours after I wake up, because I'm hungry. Calories vastly vary depending on what I feel like eating and how hungry I am... Typically from 250 calories (which can also be the most filling, go figure) to 700.