So... I just humiliated myself at the gym

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    http://youtu.be/dyvBng7M-YI

I won't show you the last one- because it's not spliced yet- but I test my max's like I do at a comp- 3 efforts- can't go back down in weight. Opener is something you should be able to nail.

On Squat, Bench and DL in July - effort # 1 were all clean.
    Efforts 2 and 3 for EVERY lift were fails.

Epic.
    FAIL.

it happens. you're doing your thing- I'd honestly get stuck under there as well- I don't squat in a smith- and I probably would have actually just fallen. LOL *kitten* happens.
    I once was doing shoulder presses with a barbell, and didn't move my head out of the way enough as I drove the barbell upwards. Smashed myself straight up the nose, blood everywhere!!!! laugh
    I almost knocked myself out doing a clean and press- same thing- only no nose- all chin. Had a golf ball under there for at least 3 days. shameful.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for the advice and encouragement. This has been really helpful. I was kind of expecting a lot more insults thrown my way, but this has been the opposite of a "mean people" thread. :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for the advice and encouragement. This has been really helpful. I was kind of expecting a lot more insults thrown my way, but this has been the opposite of a "mean people" thread. :laugh: :flowerforyou:

Oh, honey. Those rarely happen to somebody who has their head on straight.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options

Fact.
  • JoRocka
    Options

truth and fact (b/c it needs repeating)
  • horseswinelife
    horseswinelife Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    no haha from me, your a brave lady! I wouldn't have had the courage to have tried that with anyone around. :) Kuddos

^^^ Double ditto here !
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I don't know how many times I bump my head on the lat pull bars when working out on them...
    You do that a few times, you learn real quick to watch...

And also, I do weighted chins....stupid me not thinking stepped down off box after doing a set....didn't think about doing it slowly.....cracked the hell out of my knee....again, lesson learned real quick.

working out in smith rack and forgetting to rotate bar back to unlock....yup...done that. Makes for a loud noise and a sudden stop.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    i saw a guy fall right on his *kitten* once in a smith machine. it looked like it hurt.

wish i had gone over to make sure he was ok. did i already post this in here?

they didn't set off the lunk alarm lol
  • Spnneil06
    Spnneil06 Posts: 18,745 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't have happened if nobody was watching! Brush it off and hold your head up high!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I don't know how many times I bump my head on the lat pull bars when working out on them...

And also, I do weighted chins....stupid me not thinking stepped down off box after doing a set....didn't think about doing it slowly.....cracked the hell out of my knee....again, lesson learned real quick.

working out in smith rack and forgetting to rotate bar back to unlock....yup...done that. Makes for a loud noise and a sudden stop.

some of the pull down cable equipment doesn't hold bars well- more for cable or handle types- and I put the lat pull down on some of the exterior towers for lat press downs- and I'll forget- the bar weights more than the top plate- put the bar on- then go to move the pin and the bar comes crashing down on my head- most of the time I catch it or do some sort of ninja move to get out of the way- which is still stupid- but everyone in a while- I totally straight up drop it on my head.

it's so stupid. <facepalm>
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    http://youtu.be/dyvBng7M-YI

I won't show you the last one- because it's not spliced yet- but I test my max's like I do at a comp- 3 efforts- can't go back down in weight. Opener is something you should be able to nail.

On Squat, Bench and DL in July - effort # 1 were all clean.
    Efforts 2 and 3 for EVERY lift were fails.

Epic.
    FAIL.
    You're pretty awesome. I like how you bailed on the squat. I think that makes me feel better about it, as I have no clue how to not get stuck, even with the pins there. Strong DL #1 and #2.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    LOL thanks.

If you lift- you need to learn how to fail. Period. Learn- do it enough so you feel comfortable- that was not one of my more graceful ones honestly- but it got the job done. Just sit is usually what I tell people LOL- (properly adjusted pins and all)

Fortunately last year I spent a lot of time training to failure- so I spent a lot of time failing squats. I'ts good to be comfortable with it- but don't go crazy LOL- it's not so good for training progressions.

thank you thank you :)
  • gettinthere
    gettinthere Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I was pinned under the chest press bar for quite a while once while the guy sitting right across from me was on his phone texting and had his earbuds in!!
    It took me kicking my legs repeatedly up in the air for him to even notice I needed help! lol
    You did the right thing by just keeping on going! Good for you!!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Yeah, DL is easy, just drop it.

It's just the squat bail that I have a fear of. It is as simple as sitting down though, yeah. :)
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

some of the pull down cable equipment doesn't hold bars well- more for cable or handle types- and I put the lat pull down on some of the exterior towers for lat press downs- and I'll forget- the bar weights more than the top plate- put the bar on- then go to move the pin and the bar comes crashing down on my head- most of the time I catch it or do some sort of ninja move to get out of the way- which is still stupid- but everyone in a while- I totally straight up drop it on my head.

it's so stupid. <facepalm>

Yep, that has happened to me a couple times
    Feel like a freaking idiot sitting there at the lat pull down, and switching out the weight....
    Pull the pin out and next thing you know, you get cracked on the head with the bar. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Cc215
    Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I came here cos I humiliated myself in the weight section today too! Not in the same way - but I'm sure more than one of the guys in there has a new story to tell about why women should stick to lifting pink glittery dumbbells :S

Some one had walked away from the squat rack and left it loaded. There was a fair but of weight on both sides. I'm not used to playing with that much weight. I usually remove my weights from one end of the bar - then do the other side. The rack handles my plates when I do this. I removed the weights my way - one side first. The 65kg+ left on the other end - and the bar - made one hell of a racket as the toppled off the rack!

Oh well - the embarrassment resulted in me kicking the *kitten* out of my deadlift PR (this is not a huge weight - I'm still learning about all this lifting stuff - but I'd failed at that weight twice, and was resigning myself to the idea of reloading on my favourite lift already!). I'm pretty sure I could have added more weight to the bar today and kicked it's *kitten* too!

I'm taking today's work out as a positive one - I beat my PR, and I learned never to leave the bar unbalanced when unloading it - that's 2 positives. Just wish I wasn't still blushing at the thought of how much of a stupid mistake I made!
  • Wasatcher
    Wasatcher Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I did what was probably the stupidest thing I've ever done in a gym other day. Distracted by conversation I mistakenly doubled one of the weights on one side of an Olympic bar on an inclined bench and couldn't lift it off my chest. I was solo and had to call for a spot. Was I embarrassed? A little until I reminded myself I was human and I was there.

how did you not realize 2X the weight on the one side when you first unracked the bar?

You would think… But it's just a moment getting it off the rack, I figured I was pushing harder on one side and it was my first sent so I wasn't loose and attributed the heaviness to that. It was an extra 10 pound plate on what should have been 175 pounds of weight. You would also think I could have just pushed through it but the extra weight plus lop sidedness made it feel imovable to me.
  • ronstaTHEmonsta
    Options
    LOLOLOLOL!

Oh man! Deluxmary2000, I normally don't laugh at things like this but for some reason I was dying of laughter a few minutes ago as I pictured the entire situation the way you typed it. Shortly after I felt pretty bad about laughing, so my sincerest apologies. :(

I'm pretty certain if that happened to me I'd be extremely embarrassed as you were, but on the bright side you weren't injured from it and were able to successfully escape without hurting yourself. At least you tried! So no shame in that.

I hurt myself squatting before (I broke form, and the weight wasn't even heavy), and I immediately went to the floor to do some back stretches. That was pretty embarrassing for me and what made it worse was I hurt my lower back in the process and was out for a good 3 weeks or so. Since then I haven't squatted w/ the bar basically cuz I'm traumatized from it all (and it happened like 8 months ago). I now just hold a dumbbell vertically and squat with it. It works for me and gives me a good core workout, but yeah. *sigh*
  • UoSLad
    UoSLad Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    unfortunately i dont lift so i cant really comment on it but for what it's worth its always usefull to remember this little nugget i read a while back,

it doesnt matter if you only manage a few hundred feet or a couple of pounds, your still laps ahead of those that haven't even gotten off the couch"

I find that excellent motivation when im just not feeling it or when i have a bad sessions.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I did what was probably the stupidest thing I've ever done in a gym other day. Distracted by conversation I mistakenly doubled one of the weights on one side of an Olympic bar on an inclined bench and couldn't lift it off my chest. I was solo and had to call for a spot. Was I embarrassed? A little until I reminded myself I was human and I was there.

how did you not realize 2X the weight on the one side when you first unracked the bar?

You would think… But it's just a moment getting it off the rack, I figured I was pushing harder on one side and it was my first sent so I wasn't loose and attributed the heaviness to that. It was an extra 10 pound plate on what should have been 175 pounds of weight. You would also think I could have just pushed through it but the extra weight plus lop sidedness made it feel imovable to me.

when I lift in the AM on Saturday's I usually am early enough I take my coffee- and it's so bad- I have put on 1 quarter to start a warm up... but not the other side- bar goes straight up in the air.

I feel so effing stupid.