Healthy Pumpkin Pie Custard (76 calories)

Options

Replies

• micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!!
  • white_horse
    white_horse Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Bump, because.......nom nom nom
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this!
    Tagging so I can remember to buy more pumpkin at the grocery store
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Bump!
    I haven't tried cooking with stevia yet, but a 76-calorie version of one of my family's favorite desserts might persuade me.
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    The pumpkin pie custard looks wonderful. Thanks for sharing.
  • gina1971
    gina1971 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Definitely have to try this.
  • kamaperry
    kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Keep bumping, I have to try this!
  • srmchan
    srmchan Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Excellent recipe. I made this over the weekend with a few deltas that are more compatible with my nutrition goals - meaning higher fat content. I used heavy cream in lieu of 1% milk, I used half of a real vanilla bean in lieu of vanilla extract (primarily for taste), I buttered the ramekins rather than using spray, and I simmered the split vanilla bean in the heavy cream and tempered the cream into every thing else (pumpkin, spices, et al). I was going to make whipped cream out of the rest of my heavy cream, but I was too lazy. :laugh: Mine came out to 160 calories.

Sam
  • srmchan
    srmchan Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Can this be made using almond milk or will it change up the flavor
    You don't say what size eggs
    Are there any other suggestions for vanilla liquid stevia?
    If I made mine using a cupcake pan, would this puff up like cake...just trying to think how full Id need to fill each section.
    Maybe Ill just put it all in a small pan instead....
    You must not bake very often.
    Any kind of milk is ok. Eggs in baking are standard lare size, unless otherwise noted. Sugar, honey, maple syrup, agave all can work instead of stevia but calories increase. There are no rising agents in this dessert. Cupcake pans are not what cause cake to rise - baking soda/powder do. A metal pan may give the custard a funny flavour.

If you leave out the pumpkin, it'll rise like a dessert soufflé. Ask me how I know. :mad: It didn't taste very good, either, when the pumpkin was omitted. Thankfully I got it right on the second try.

I might have another go at my mistake with some meringue and sugar to see if I can make a pumpkin spice soufflé. The base elements of cream and eggs are there; just needs a more evenly buttered ramekin and something to help hold it up (meringue).

Perhaps Wade will go first with this experiment and figure it out before me. I'm certain he's a better baker than me.

Sam
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    If I made mine using a cupcake pan, would this puff up like cake...just trying to think how full Id need to fill each section.

I made this last evening. I don't have ramekins so used one of those silicone muffin "tins" which I greased with margarine (don't have the spray stuff.)

I don't have liquid stevia so added about 1/4 cup regular sugar instead which I guess adds 20--30 calories per serving.

I have a convection oven so dropped the temperature 25 degrees and the time by 5 minutes.

Anyway, they turned out great. Last night after cooling it was more like a custard, and then for lunch today, after being refrigerated overnight, the consistency is more like pumpkin pie.

Thanks again to the OP for the recipe!
  • AMRROL
    AMRROL Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Can egg beaters be used to substitute for the eggs? Thanks for this recipe. I love pumpkin and can't wait to try this one out. Looks and sounds fantastic.
  • animalldy
    animalldy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • WadeLam
    WadeLam Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Can egg beaters be used to substitute for the eggs? Thanks for this recipe. I love pumpkin and can't wait to try this one out. Looks and sounds fantastic.
    Sure can!
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    !
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options

I made this last evening. I don't have ramekins so used one of those silicone muffin "tins" which I greased with margarine (don't have the spray stuff.)

I don't have liquid stevia so added about 1/4 cup regular sugar instead which I guess adds 20--30 calories per serving.

I have a convection oven so dropped the temperature 25 degrees and the time by 5 minutes.

Anyway, they turned out great. Last night after cooling it was more like a custard, and then for lunch today, after being refrigerated overnight, the consistency is more like pumpkin pie.

Thanks again to the OP for the recipe!

Thanks, helpful info!
    I love the idea of using silicone baking ware!
    No substitution(s) were offered for the Vanilla Liquid Stevia (in the original post).
    We couldn't find any (we looked at 2 stores) so we bought the plain 1.
    Great info on the oven temps!
    So there is a slight difference in consistency if eaten right away vs sitting in the cold fridge...both sounds good though :smile:
    My husband is the "baker" in our family whereas Im more of the main meal person (time varying on personal schedules).
    I thought we were all here to learn...sorry if asking some of my questions put anyone out :ohwell:
  • cottoncandyclover
    Options
    bump
  • Ceratopsy
    Ceratopsy Posts: 2,100 Member
    Options
    Bump! Thanks :flowerforyou:
  • katerz86
    katerz86 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It's in the oven! Fingers crossed!