Help me not fall into the Coke Zero trap!!

Options
I had a serious Coke / caffeine addiction prior to 90 days ago.
I have gone the last 3 months, basically only drinking water.
I have dipped into Coke Zero four times in the last 3 weeks (one or two servings each time), and what I thought tasted awful before is now tempting me.....

I think about it.... Oh, if I could only have you Coke Zero!!!!

Help me not to fall into the diet soda trap!!!!!!!

Replies

• kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    "When you drink Coke, you drink the blood of people."

"There are strong environmental and human rights reasons to ban the production of soft drinks in India. Each plant of Coke and Pepsi extracts 1 – 2 million litres per day. If each plant is extracting 1 – 2 million litres per day and there are 90 plants, the daily extraction is between 90 – 180 million litres. This could meet the daily requirement of drinking water of millions of people Each litre of soft drink destroys and pollutes 10 litres of water. And the toxic sludge generated has been found to have high levels of Cadmium and Lead (Pollution Control Board, Kerala, Hazard Centre).

"Long term exposure to Cadmium has the potential to cause effects like kidney dysfunction, damage to bone, liver and blood. Lead affects the central nervous system, kidney, blood and cardio-vascular system. Women in a small hamlet in Kerala succeeded in shutting down a Coca-Cola plant. “When you drink Coke, you drink the blood of people,” said Mylamma, the woman who started the movement against Coca-Cola in Plachimada. The Coca-Cola plant in Plachimada was commissioned in March 2000 to produce 1,224,000 bottles of Coca-Cola products a day and issued a conditional license to install a motor-driven water pump by the panchayat. However, the company started to illegally extract millions of liters of clean water. According to the local people, Coca-Cola was extracting 1.5 million liters per day. The water level started to fall, dropping from 150 to 500 feet below the earth’s surface. Tribals and farmers complained that water storage and supply were being adversely affected by indiscriminate installation of bore wells for tapping groundwater, resulting in serious consequences for crop cultivation. The wells were also threatening traditional drinking-water sources, ponds and water tanks, waterways and canals. When the company failed to comply with the panchayat request for details, a show-cause notice was served and the license was cancelled. Coca-Cola unsuccessfully tried to bribe the panchayat president A. Krishnan, with 300 million rupees."

source: http://zcomm.org/zcommentary/coke-pepsi-and-the-politics-of-food-safety-by-vandana2-shiva/

hth!

ps if you're really jonesing for a soda, get a plain seltzer and sweeten it with a little juice, the best and freshest you can afford.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Why are you opposed to diet soda? When consumed in moderation there is ZERO research showing it will have negative impact on weight loss. It is zero calories.

Caffeine is actually a good weight loss supplement. Again moderation is key but caffeine can be quite beneficial when losing weight. It can help performance in workouts and give energy when you are feeling sluggish.
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Not only is it a carcinogen, but it also has shown, like diet drinks, to deposit fat around the mid section.

It gives you NOTHING other than bad things.

so it's up to you. is it worth it? all the negatives? for .. what? is it really that tasty ?
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Not only is it a carcinogen, but it also has shown, like diet drinks, to deposit fat around the mid section.

so it's up to you. is it worth it? all the negatives? for .. what? is it really that tasty ?

Uh, no... Just no.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Why are you opposed to diet soda? When consumed in moderation there is ZERO research showing it will have negative impact on weight loss. It is zero calories.

Caffeine is actually a good weight loss supplement. Again moderation is key but caffeine can be quite beneficial when losing weight. It can help performance in workouts and give energy when you are feeling sluggish.

QFT.... All of this.... I drink 2 or 3 Diet Pepsi a day and it has not affected my weight loss, maintenance, overall well being one bit.... Best of Luck though......
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options

No. And No.
  • CyberEd312
    Options

No. And No.

I'll throw another No in there for good measure..... :drinker:
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    Options

Uh, no... Just no.

seriously eh, where do people come up with this stuff lol.

If you dont want to drink it or consume it thats fine but why make up things or believe made up things? find one actual REAL study done showing any of the claims... not some hocus pokus uber health site preaching their own dreams but a real, scientific study
  • Jake_82
    Jake_82 Posts: 12 Member
    Options

^This. I have a can of soda a day and have not had any hindrance in weight loss. I see no reason to deprive myself of something that tastes good and can lift my mood (not to mention its a tasty item I look forward to). As another person said moderation! :)
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options

there are plenty of things that provide caffeine and also provide nutritive benefit, unlike sodas, though. I drink coffee every day! It's organic, fair trade and locally roasted. When I can find good dark chocolate, I will srsly put a hurt on it. Thankfully, I can't find it often!
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    In order for any ingredient to reach a toxic level, you'd have to drink more than your stomach could physically handle. The amount of water would kill you before any other ingredient in diet soda.
  • stackhsc
    Options
    so for the record you have people who have lost 300 plus and two at one hundred plus pounds saying its not harmful, at least to us......

even if it does have negative side effects.... BIG IF.... the benefit of the weight lost is a far larger benefit
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options

there are plenty of things that provide caffeine and also provide nutritive benefit, unlike sodas, though. I drink coffee every day! It's organic, fair trade and locally roasted. When I can find good dark chocolate, I will srsly put a hurt on it. Thankfully, I can't find it often!

very true.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options

I love coffee and dark chocolate as well. I never said diet soda was the ONLY source of caffeine. But coffee and diet soda are not comparable at all. When I crave a hot cup of joe, diet soda is no substitute. When I want a frizzy, sweet, taste, coffee won't cut it. They are both fine to have in moderation. Dark chocolate contains calories so it's not really comparable to either coffee or soda...
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options

very true.

But more about how coke zero deposits fat in your midsection please.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options

No. And No.

I'll throw another No in there for good measure..... :drinker:

No, no, no! And another no just for how ridiculous that sounds.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    I can't believe no one has mentioned the real problem with diet soda.

ASPARTAME

This stuff will mess you up bad, it is worse than poison and it's USDA approved.

Not sure if serious...
  • stackhsc
    Options

ASPARTAME

This stuff will mess you up bad, it is worse than poison and it's USDA approved.

lol, you buy a box of rat poison, i'll buy a box of sucralose or aspertame.... see who makes it to the finish line first :P
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options

ASPARTAME

I drink a huge amount of diet pop, with aspartame, and I have no issues to speak of.
  • CyberEd312
    Options

ASPARTAME

Not sure if serious...

Agreed and if he is, I wonder if he can provide us with some Peer Reviewed Studies to back up those claims....