Eating clean and healthy

Options
I've noticed a lot of people on here (myself included) having a lot of problems with food choices, what to eat, what's a good snack, is this or that good for you, and some don't know where to start. My biggest problem is making a healthy dinner. I can make a healthy breakfast, lunch, and have healthy snacks, but I sucked when it came to dinner time.

If I put together some thing like advice for healthy eating, foods you should be eating, and getting started eating healthy, would anyone be interested in it? I could even include some sample meal plans and recipes for the different kinds of diets, like paleo, mediterranean, low-carb, vegan, and vegetarian.

If anyone would be interested, let me know!

Replies

• pdillon72
    Options
    YES!! I Would , that's my BIGGEST PROBLEM!!
  • Anke861
    Anke861 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yep! sounds good! who isnt struggling with the food ? :)
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    What do you define as a healthy food? Food is just food it can all help you reach your Macro/micro/calorie goals. Part of the problem IMO is this continual defining of foods as healthy and unhealthy. Some people define fruit as unhealthy because of the sugar content. Others define meat as unhealthy. Others define High fat as unhealthy. Some define chocolate as unhealthy. Healthy and unhealthy are pretty pointless labels. All it does is confuses people with smoke and mirrors rather than the unhealthy/healthy labels it makes much more sense to aim for a balanced sustainable diet.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    What do you define as a healthy food? Food is just food it can all help you reach your Macro/micro/calorie goals. Part of the problem IMO is this continual defining of foods as healthy and unhealthy. Some people define fruit as unhealthy because of the sugar content. Others define meat as unhealthy. Others define High fat as unhealthy. Some define chocolate as unhealthy. Healthy and unhealthy are pretty pointless labels. All it does is confuses people with smoke and mirrors rather than the unhealthy/healthy labels it makes much more sense to aim for a balanced sustainable diet.

^ That
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    Always interested. I know I get bored eating he same things over and over again too.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

This!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    That ^
    and this->http://www.healthylivingheavylifting.com/the-perils-of-clean-eating/
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I've been slowly changing my diet for 3 months now. I'm eating pretty clean now and I'm starting to get a good grasp of it all. It can be SO challenging at first! I hear you!

I still find it hard to be creative and find new recipes. I used to cook a lot and my family pretty much always had a different meal every night lol I want to continue that, but with clean eating.

I'm always up for recipe swapping. Pinterest is great, BUT you don't know if it has been truly tested or not.

Quick, easy and clean supper meals is what I would be most interested in!
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options

the great part about an open group and loads of ideas is you can pick and choose the ones that fit your lifestyle and substitute some things also.

It's too hard IMO to make everyone happy. Some people hate carrots. That's a pretty clean food.
    Choices is key here I think. If we get too hung up on the definition, we wont get anywhere.
  • djpro1337
    djpro1337 Posts: 68 Member
    Options

Unhealthy food is food that is conducive to sickness and disease. I never said anything about reaching a calorie goal. You can eat healthy foods and still be fat. People do want to lose weight, but a lot want to be genuinely healthy. Just because someone met their calorie goal, doesn't mean they're healthy. Just because someone has a six pack and muscle definition, doesn't automatically mark them as being healthy. Being healthy is about making good, conscious choices about what you put into your body. Let me go over some things that are unhealthy. It doesn't matter if you eat these and meet your caloric goal, you're still putting yourself at risk, and if you're eating these, odds are your kids (if you have any) are eating these, too.

Deep-fried fats and oils (i.e. Trans fats): These fats and oils raise your levels of bad cholesterol which can clog and harden your arteries. Trans fats has also been linked to cancer because it interferes with things that fight off cancer, diabetes, decreased immune functions, and heart disease. Most baked goods and fast foods includes these oils and fats.

Anything enriched white flour or white refined flour (and most store bought pasta): The bran and germ that's taken out of these are good sources for vitamins and minerals for your body, so they lack essential nutrients your body needs. White refined flour has also been linked to heart disease.

High-fructose corn syrup: Fructose is processed through your liver much like alcohol is and has a lot of the same damaging effects. It is also metabolized straight into fat cells. The fructose portion of refined sure is also the building block of cholesterol. Fructose has been linked to diabetes and obesity.

A lot of preservative are just as bad as the above mentioned, and the list goes on. So you can eat all the above and still meet your goal weight, but are you "healthy"? I was proposing to help people that wanted to eat healthy, not meet there goal weight by any means necessary.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I honestly never understand why people say they struggle with food choices or making a healthy dinner or need a food plan. It makes me think they are thinking that it's much more complicated than it really is. To me, a healthy dinner is basically the standard meat, starch, and veggies, with starch interchangeable for another veggie, fruit, or dairy depending on your macros and the other food you've had that day or the calories you need. To bump up calories increase serving sizes or add fruit and/or dairy. There's endless variety in that template, and it's not some special diet way of eating.

What am I missing?
  • djpro1337
    Options
    I honestly never understand why people say they struggle with food choices or making a healthy dinner or need a food plan. It makes me think they are thinking that it's much more complicated than it really is. To me, a healthy dinner is basically the standard meat, starch, and veggies, with starch interchangeable for another veggie, fruit, or dairy depending on your macros and the other food you've had that day or the calories you need. To bump up calories increase serving sizes or add fruit and/or dairy. There's endless variety in that template, and it's not some special diet way of eating.

What am I missing?

For some people, it's not that simple. Some people hear chicken is good for you, and it is. But if you make fried chicken, that's not healthy. I use to add grease and oils to my "healthy" foods, not knowing I was making it unhealthy. I also didn't have a big variety of foods I ate and would get tired of eating the same thing over and over, so I would make greasy cheeseburgers and fall off the wagon. It's about knowing what's good, but also having a variety of foods to choose from, otherwise we can just go back to eating what's in our comfort zone.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    oh god, here we go.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Wheee! In for food scaremongering.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why someone could eat a healthy breakfast, lunch, and snacks but not know what to have for dinner???

Are there special rules for dinner that make it more difficult?

I hope you are planning to give this "meal plan" away for free, because you are not allowed to promote something you are selling or plan to sell.

For those who don't want to wait, Google "healthy meal ideas". You can also go to Amazon and find tons of cookbooks to fit what you are looking for - low cal, 5 ingredients or less, healthy and fast, vegetarian, whatever. Spend $50 on a variety of these and you will never run out of ideas.

And it is okay to occasionally eat crap, the human body is an amazing machine. The stress from worrying about which foods will kill you, is probably far worse for your health than a donut :drinker:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options

Unhealthy food is food that is conducive to sickness and disease. I never said anything about reaching a calorie goal. You can eat healthy foods and still be fat. People do want to lose weight, but a lot want to be genuinely healthy. Just because someone met their calorie goal, doesn't mean they're healthy. Just because someone has a six pack and muscle definition, doesn't automatically mark them as being healthy. Being healthy is about making good, conscious choices about what you put into your body. Let me go over some things that are unhealthy. It doesn't matter if you eat these and meet your caloric goal, you're still putting yourself at risk, and if you're eating these, odds are your kids (if you have any) are eating these, too.

Deep-fried fats and oils (i.e. Trans fats): These fats and oils raise your levels of bad cholesterol which can clog and harden your arteries. Trans fats has also been linked to cancer because it interferes with things that fight off cancer, diabetes, decreased immune functions, and heart disease. Most baked goods and fast foods includes these oils and fats.

Anything enriched white flour or white refined flour (and most store bought pasta): The bran and germ that's taken out of these are good sources for vitamins and minerals for your body, so they lack essential nutrients your body needs. White refined flour has also been linked to heart disease.

High-fructose corn syrup: Fructose is processed through your liver much like alcohol is and has a lot of the same damaging effects. It is also metabolized straight into fat cells. The fructose portion of refined sure is also the building block of cholesterol. Fructose has been linked to diabetes and obesity.

A lot of preservative are just as bad as the above mentioned, and the list goes on. So you can eat all the above and still meet your goal weight, but are you "healthy"? I was proposing to help people that wanted to eat healthy, not meet there goal weight by any means necessary.
    Ever heard of context and dosage? Also none of the foods you mentioned would be considered bad if a persons diet adhered to it's micro and macro needs.......thiis is just your opinion based on studies that are biased in their design or interpretation....sans the trans fats but not all deep frying oils contain trans fats. This is your conclusion which is not considered universally correct.......more propaganda than anything else. imo
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options

In!

Oh, and

wedding-crashers-wtf_zpse614f8cb.gif
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Are you expecting to charge people money for these "meal plans"? If so, you're violating community guidelines and I'm reporting you.
  • djpro1337
    Options
    I didn't plan on charging for anything. I'm not some newbie to MFP looking to promote anything. I don't post a lot, but I read a lot of the posts here of people asking questions on what to eat and where to start. I was planning on putting something together to help newbies out because I've been there. It's simple and not too difficult, but if some doesn't know then they don't know. And everyone's looking for recipes on this or that so I figured I would put something together from things I've eaten and recipes I've saved over the years along with the knowledge I have on nutrition.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Here we go again.