Eating clean and healthy

Options

Replies

• sarajenivieve
    sarajenivieve Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    do you want the personal health reasons or enivormental? :p so so many reasons fat, chelestoral, increased risk of heart disease, prostate cancer . heres some quick info A compound found in red meat (and even used as an additive in some energy drinks) called carnitine has been found to cause atherosclerosis, the hardening or clogging of the arteries, according to a study published in the journal Nature Medicine. The research, which included more than 2,500 vegans, vegetarians, and omnivore cardiac patients, suggests that carnitine converts to a heart-damaging compound, trimethylamine-N-oxide (TMAO), via bacteria in the intestine. Researchers found that increased carnitine levels predicted increased risks for cardiovascular disease. Which is for some reason marketed for working out *ugh
    A study from Harvard School of Public Health found an association with red meat consumption and increased risk of a shortened lifespan.The meat industry refers to it as “lean finely textured beef (LFTB),” but the public knows it as pink slime. This meat additive contains fatty bits of leftover meat that’s heated, spun to remove the fat, and then treated with ammonia gas to kill bacteria. It’s then shipped off to grocery stores and meat packers, where the slime is added to ground beef (70% of supermarket ground beef contains the additive).
    And the ammonia treatment may allow pathogens into the food supply.
    Thats just the tip of the ice burg also look up the UN's studies on the live stock industry and climate change the UN has basically begging nations to start moving away from eating so much animal products because our consumption is destroying the planet, although that aspect of it isnt directly related to your physical health so many here may not care i do think we should care for our planet for future generations.
    I don't think they care about any of that. Just the now fairly well debunked lipid hypothesis. Cancer? I doubt they are considering that at all.

Who do you mean by they?
    The people who made the pretty little plate (i.e. the folks at Harvard).

I'd hope they are taking some of their own studies into account, as well as other studies highlighting the health down falls associated with red meats. i know they wont be looking at the UN study i mention it because i think regular consumers should be aware these are all secondary benefits for me and none orginally played a role in me giving it up (ok fat played a bit of a role lol) but i find a lot of these plates and pyramids focus wayyy to much on meat which is a debatable issue and ignore or glaze over other healthy foods like beans,tempeh,lengumes(sp?) etc so im glad this plate is a step in a better direction imo
    legumes

and tempeh? blech

honestly im not general a huge tempeh fan either but once in a while when its done right it can be really good. im a big fan of soy protiens like tofu i think is the easiest to cook with, beans you can do a lot with once you start learning what to do there are a lot of great plant protiens
    but 90% or more of soy is GMO. Hows that better?

Well the jury is out GMOs its super debatable issue iflscience has some great articles most gmos arent as we think, but if thats a concern eating the flesh of an animal thats been pumped with hormones,antibotics and gmo grains would certainly be worse.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    do you want the personal health reasons or enivormental? :p so so many reasons fat, chelestoral, increased risk of heart disease, prostate cancer . heres some quick info A compound found in red meat (and even used as an additive in some energy drinks) called carnitine has been found to cause atherosclerosis, the hardening or clogging of the arteries, according to a study published in the journal Nature Medicine. The research, which included more than 2,500 vegans, vegetarians, and omnivore cardiac patients, suggests that carnitine converts to a heart-damaging compound, trimethylamine-N-oxide (TMAO), via bacteria in the intestine. Researchers found that increased carnitine levels predicted increased risks for cardiovascular disease. Which is for some reason marketed for working out *ugh
    A study from Harvard School of Public Health found an association with red meat consumption and increased risk of a shortened lifespan.The meat industry refers to it as “lean finely textured beef (LFTB),” but the public knows it as pink slime. This meat additive contains fatty bits of leftover meat that’s heated, spun to remove the fat, and then treated with ammonia gas to kill bacteria. It’s then shipped off to grocery stores and meat packers, where the slime is added to ground beef (70% of supermarket ground beef contains the additive).
    Thats just the tip of the ice burg also look up the UN's studies on the live stock industry and climate change the UN has basically begging nations to start moving away from eating so much animal products because our consumption is destroying the planet, although that aspect of it isnt directly related to your physical health so many here may not care i do think we should care for our planet for future generations.
    I don't think they care about any of that. Just the now fairly well debunked lipid hypothesis. Cancer? I doubt they are considering that at all.

Who do you mean by they?

I'd hope they are taking some of their own studies into account, as well as other studies highlighting the health down falls associated with red meats. i know they wont be looking at the UN study i mention it because i think regular consumers should be aware these are all secondary benefits for me and none orginally played a role in me giving it up (ok fat played a bit of a role lol) but i find a lot of these plates and pyramids focus wayyy to much on meat which is a debatable issue and ignore or glaze over other healthy foods like beans,tempeh,lengumes(sp?) etc so im glad this plate is a step in a better direction imo
    legumes

and tempeh? blech

honestly im not general a huge tempeh fan either but once in a while when its done right it can be really good. im a big fan of soy protiens like tofu i think is the easiest to cook with, beans you can do a lot with once you start learning what to do there are a lot of great plant protiens

Well the jury is out GMOs its super debatable issue iflscience has some great articles most gmos arent as we think, but if thats a concern eating the flesh of an animal thats been pumped with hormones,antibotics and gmo grains would certainly be worse.
    You (given your views) don't think GMO soy is bad for the environment?????
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    I like you enthusiasm, very passionate for sure but this is pretty much vegan propaganda........I'll leave this here for you to read.....I just adressed your first point, not going to get into the rest.......they have all been debunked...do a search here or some research, it'll help you understand nutrition a little better because most vegans don't it seems.

http://www.anh-usa.org/latest-red-meat-study-doubly-flawed/

the source for those are not a vegan source so it isnt propaganda but i do understand your hesitance. There are many more studies also finding high red meat intakes to be linked with poor health my post is only a small bit of info. In the broad scheme there are many other sources of nutrients that are just as if not better for your body and head over heels better for the planet. Also thank you for the compliment i was a non vegan wellness coach in college and have studied nutrition on and off for years i just havent had the money to do the exams.
    Many vegans used this headline here when it came out without actually reading the study, which is pretty common anyway...........L-carnitine actually reduces heart related occurrences..........this is about gut bacteria not red meat......again do some investigating so you don't keep repeating something that most dietitians have debunked and looking silly promoting as a truth.
  • Maryam2014mfp
    Options
    I'm also interested. Thanks
  • neanderthin
    Options

Who do you mean by they?

legumes

and tempeh? blech

Not all Countries pump their cattle with hormones and antibotics......in Canada that's illegal and all my beef, lamb and poultry is local from farmers that respect the land and their animals and follow the principals of responsible farming........and the saturated fat and cholesterol hypothesis has been debunked over and over.......Even Harvard admits to it, which is really mind boggling to say the least, but for some reason can't bring themselves to promote it.......I find that pretty funny.
  • sarajenivieve
    Options

Who do you mean by they?

legumes

and tempeh? blech

The enivormental impacts of gmos so far have been positive although some are concerned with future effects again its a highly debated issue in the scientific community, i totally respect the views of people who prefer organic diets, as this is a debatable issue it makes sense to play it safe while data is still coming in but gmo is a very broad term with most people lumping all of them together and thinking they are all inately bad which isnt the case, i highly recommend a look at some of the recent research iflscience has a few articles that are good. again though im not saying they are better then organics just saying the jury isnt in.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Who do you mean by they?

legumes

and tempeh? blech

The enivormental impacts of gmos so far have been positive although some are concerned with future effects again its a highly debated issue in the scientific community, i totally respect the views of people who prefer organic diets, as this is a debatable issue it makes sense to play it safe while data is still coming in but gmo is a very broad term with most people lumping all of them together and thinking they are all inately bad which isnt the case, i highly recommend a look at some of the recent research iflscience has a few articles that are good. again though im not saying they are better then organics just saying the jury isnt in.
    if you say so. On Monsanto!:laugh:
  • sarajenivieve
    Options

Who do you mean by they?

legumes

and tempeh? blech

Not all Countries pump their cattle with hormones and antibotics......in Canada that's illegal and all my beef, lamb and poultry is local from farmers that respect the land and their animals and follow the principals of responsible farming........and the saturated fat and cholesterol hypothesis has been debunked over and over.......Even Harvard admits to it, which is really mind boggling to say the least, but for some reason can't bring themselves to promote it.......I find that pretty funny.

its not usually a study i even use when asked for info but im not on my regular computer, i will look into it though thank you for the info :) i need to like make a file just for sources when people ask for info i think :p make it easier to make sure im using the best examples.
  • sarajenivieve
    Options

Who do you mean by they?

legumes

and tempeh? blech

I definately do not like monsanto which is where everyone jumps when gmos come up but gmo means anything with any genetic modification its to broad of a term to demonize thats all.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Who do you mean by they?

legumes

and tempeh? blech

I definately do not like monsanto which is where everyone jumps when gmos come up but gmo means anything with any genetic modification its to broad of a term to demonize thats all.
    I don't think we have a CLUE where this is all going. Especially roundup ready SOY.
    Monsanto is the tip of the iceberg.
    fwiw: I have no issues with being vegetarian. My husband is vegetarian. His family is all vegan. I think it's just not so black and white as you make it out to be.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
  • neanderthin
    Options

Who do you mean by they?

legumes

and tempeh? blech

its not usually a study i even use when asked for info but im not on my regular computer, i will look into it though thank you for the info :) i need to like make a file just for sources when people ask for info i think :p make it easier to make sure im using the best examples.
    What you need to do really is try and debunk what you already know or think you know, that's the way science works myself and many others here do just that, it keeps us humble and on track as opposed to becoming biased in our thinking....I admit it's hard to do....otherwise it's just emotions and trust me vegans are a pretty emotional bunch and rarely rely on good science, which makes sense if it's a crusade they're on, which for the most part they are. There are a few vegans here that don't do that and understand the science very well....maybe if your lucky you will find a few and friend them........
  • sarajenivieve
    Options
    i dont think its black and white, i think as some in a developed nation its fairly black and white for this part of the world but there would definately be more grey if i lived in a less developed nation so there are a lot of factors to take into account. I posted a link to one good gmo break down article, i want to just again clarify that im not promoting gmos im just for looking at the issue more then just saying they are all bad
  • LinOtt
    LinOtt Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    What do you define as a healthy food? Food is just food it can all help you reach your Macro/micro/calorie goals. Part of the problem IMO is this continual defining of foods as healthy and unhealthy. Some people define fruit as unhealthy because of the sugar content. Others define meat as unhealthy. Others define High fat as unhealthy. Some define chocolate as unhealthy. Healthy and unhealthy are pretty pointless labels. All it does is confuses people with smoke and mirrors rather than the unhealthy/healthy labels it makes much more sense to aim for a balanced sustainable diet.

Unhealthy food is food that is conducive to sickness and disease. I never said anything about reaching a calorie goal. You can eat healthy foods and still be fat. People do want to lose weight, but a lot want to be genuinely healthy. Just because someone met their calorie goal, doesn't mean they're healthy. Just because someone has a six pack and muscle definition, doesn't automatically mark them as being healthy. Being healthy is about making good, conscious choices about what you put into your body. Let me go over some things that are unhealthy. It doesn't matter if you eat these and meet your caloric goal, you're still putting yourself at risk, and if you're eating these, odds are your kids (if you have any) are eating these, too.

Deep-fried fats and oils (i.e. Trans fats): These fats and oils raise your levels of bad cholesterol which can clog and harden your arteries. Trans fats has also been linked to cancer because it interferes with things that fight off cancer, diabetes, decreased immune functions, and heart disease. Most baked goods and fast foods includes these oils and fats.

Anything enriched white flour or white refined flour (and most store bought pasta): The bran and germ that's taken out of these are good sources for vitamins and minerals for your body, so they lack essential nutrients your body needs. White refined flour has also been linked to heart disease.

High-fructose corn syrup: Fructose is processed through your liver much like alcohol is and has a lot of the same damaging effects. It is also metabolized straight into fat cells. The fructose portion of refined sure is also the building block of cholesterol. Fructose has been linked to diabetes and obesity.

A lot of preservative are just as bad as the above mentioned, and the list goes on. So you can eat all the above and still meet your goal weight, but are you "healthy"? I was proposing to help people that wanted to eat healthy, not meet there goal weight by any means necessary.
    I agree
  • sarajenivieve
    Options
    neanderthin i totally agree im actually in a few social groups for vegan people interested in science that iv been neglecting lately ill get bck to it :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    i dont think its black and white, i think as some in a developed nation its fairly black and white for this part of the world but there would definately be more grey if i lived in a less developed nation so there are a lot of factors to take into account. I posted a link to one good gmo break down article, i want to just again clarify that im not promoting gmos im just for looking at the issue more then just saying they are all bad
    And I think we don't have a CLUE where this is all going and can't assume it's somehow better for the environment and people than "flesh" eating as you call it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    My own plate would be heavier on the fats then their recommendation. Their limitation of dairy being part of that.
    But yay for limiting refined carbs.

Agree on fats and dairy.

They don't even have any refined carbs on that, besides the reference to grains.

Agree that they seem anti potato. Weird to recommend grains rather than the broader starches, IMO.
    Perhaps if candy corn and pop tarts aren't on there they don't exist. :tongue:

Well, it certainly indicates that they are not recommended, according to the Harvard people. I wouldn't assume a non-mention when there are specific recommendations somehow means "eat without limit."
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    My own plate would be heavier on the fats then their recommendation. Their limitation of dairy being part of that.
    But yay for limiting refined carbs.

Agree on fats and dairy.

They don't even have any refined carbs on that, besides the reference to grains.

Agree that they seem anti potato. Weird to recommend grains rather than the broader starches, IMO.
    Perhaps if candy corn and pop tarts aren't on there they don't exist. :tongue:

Well, it certainly indicates that they are not recommended, according to the Harvard people. I wouldn't assume a non-mention when there are specific recommendations somehow means "eat without limit."
    nor would I.
  • sarajenivieve
    Options
    And I think we don't have a CLUE where this is all going and can't assume it's somehow better for the environment and people than "flesh" eating as you call it.
    I dont understand what your trying to say with that comment? you can eat 100% organic and not eat meat, veggie &gmo are not equated, and we can know what impact current diets have on the planet because that data already exisits long term data on gmo's does not. Im not sure if your trying to say gmos are worse then meat which would be debatable if we were talking about a future year but isnt entirely true at the current time (thats how i read it not sure if im getting the message as you intended)