Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Oh Lawd. :noway:
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Seek information from a trusted source that is not trying to sell anything. I recommend NutritionSource from the Harvard School of Public Health. It's not commercial and is updated frequently to reflect new knowledge.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/

Their "Healthy Eating Plate" graphic is a great visualization for a healthy diet.

37a280a5-cd7c-43f4-af54-c60e08be97f9_zpsa9bb5934.jpg
  • sarajenivieve
    sarajenivieve Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    onegreenplanet.org is great for recipes i also find pre planning helps its usually when im un prepared that ill grab pizza or something crappy i just bought the 12 week vegan planner book it has a meal plan and diary so ill be startting that next grocery cycle :)
  • cookeylady
    cookeylady Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I would be interested indeed. I am just starting out on the clean eating lifestyle.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Seek information from a trusted source that is not trying to sell anything. I recommend NutritionSource from the Harvard School of Public Health. It's not commercial and is updated frequently to reflect new knowledge.

Their "Healthy Eating Plate" graphic is a great visualization for a healthy diet.

I'm surprised it actually says "limit refined grains"...wish it said limit refined carbohydrates, but this is a start.
    And otherwise, not a bad approach. Wonder how many of us come close to the amount of fruits and vegetables recommended. Or otherwise get close to this.
  • sarajenivieve
    Options
    I didn't plan on charging for anything. I'm not some newbie to MFP looking to promote anything. I don't post a lot, but I read a lot of the posts here of people asking questions on what to eat and where to start. I was planning on putting something together to help newbies out because I've been there. It's simple and not too difficult, but if some doesn't know then they don't know. And everyone's looking for recipes on this or that so I figured I would put something together from things I've eaten and recipes I've saved over the years along with the knowledge I have on nutrition.
    In another post i offered to act as a 'coach' if anyone wanted help because i used to be a wellness coach and have studied nutrition i also find helping others keeps me focused anyways i got similar 'threats' and accusations people are just to suspicious and ungrateful
  • sarajenivieve
    Options
    ??
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options

I'm surprised it actually says "limit refined grains"...wish it said limit refined carbohydrates, but this is a start.
    And otherwise, not a bad approach. Wonder how many of us come close to the amount of fruits and vegetables recommended. Or otherwise get close to this.
    Harvard is notoriously biased against animal products and apparently potatoes.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    ??
    2574445-4236261275-okaay.gif
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    This thread is rediculous
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I honestly never understand why people say they struggle with food choices or making a healthy dinner or need a food plan. It makes me think they are thinking that it's much more complicated than it really is. To me, a healthy dinner is basically the standard meat, starch, and veggies, with starch interchangeable for another veggie, fruit, or dairy depending on your macros and the other food you've had that day or the calories you need. To bump up calories increase serving sizes or add fruit and/or dairy. There's endless variety in that template, and it's not some special diet way of eating.

What am I missing?

For some people, it's not that simple. Some people hear chicken is good for you, and it is. But if you make fried chicken, that's not healthy. I use to add grease and oils to my "healthy" foods, not knowing I was making it unhealthy. I also didn't have a big variety of foods I ate and would get tired of eating the same thing over and over, so I would make greasy cheeseburgers and fall off the wagon. It's about knowing what's good, but also having a variety of foods to choose from, otherwise we can just go back to eating what's in our comfort zone.

Who doesn't know frying adds a ton of calories?

Also, nothing inherently greasy about a burger. I make ground beef, with and without the bun part, all the time. With lower fat ground beef it's even pretty low cal. (I usually get my meat from a farm, so it's harder to get the really low fat kind, but that just affects calories.). I don't usually add cheese, but I don't think cheese is bad; just watch the calories.

I think it's a shame that so many people think they must eat boneless skinless chicken breast constantly, but that's because they are in the mindset that one must eat diet foods or low fat everything. I eat a wide variety of meats (largely dictated by the fish that looks appealing at the store, and what I get from the farm).

Edit: and I continue to be mystified by the concept of clean recipes. Just cook food. Most cookbooks aren't full of dirty recipes, whatever that would be, and I don't use recipes for the most part, clean or dirty.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

My own plate would be heavier on the fats then their recommendation. Their limitation of dairy being part of that.
    But yay for limiting refined carbs.
    And it's a vast improvement.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    What do you define as a healthy food? Food is just food it can all help you reach your Macro/micro/calorie goals. Part of the problem IMO is this continual defining of foods as healthy and unhealthy. Some people define fruit as unhealthy because of the sugar content. Others define meat as unhealthy. Others define High fat as unhealthy. Some define chocolate as unhealthy. Healthy and unhealthy are pretty pointless labels. All it does is confuses people with smoke and mirrors rather than the unhealthy/healthy labels it makes much more sense to aim for a balanced sustainable diet.

Unhealthy food is food that is conducive to sickness and disease. I never said anything about reaching a calorie goal. You can eat healthy foods and still be fat. People do want to lose weight, but a lot want to be genuinely healthy. Just because someone met their calorie goal, doesn't mean they're healthy. Just because someone has a six pack and muscle definition, doesn't automatically mark them as being healthy. Being healthy is about making good, conscious choices about what you put into your body. Let me go over some things that are unhealthy. It doesn't matter if you eat these and meet your caloric goal, you're still putting yourself at risk, and if you're eating these, odds are your kids (if you have any) are eating these, too.

Deep-fried fats and oils (i.e. Trans fats): These fats and oils raise your levels of bad cholesterol which can clog and harden your arteries. Trans fats has also been linked to cancer because it interferes with things that fight off cancer, diabetes, decreased immune functions, and heart disease. Most baked goods and fast foods includes these oils and fats.

Anything enriched white flour or white refined flour (and most store bought pasta): The bran and germ that's taken out of these are good sources for vitamins and minerals for your body, so they lack essential nutrients your body needs. White refined flour has also been linked to heart disease.

High-fructose corn syrup: Fructose is processed through your liver much like alcohol is and has a lot of the same damaging effects. It is also metabolized straight into fat cells. The fructose portion of refined sure is also the building block of cholesterol. Fructose has been linked to diabetes and obesity.

A lot of preservative are just as bad as the above mentioned, and the list goes on. So you can eat all the above and still meet your goal weight, but are you "healthy"? I was proposing to help people that wanted to eat healthy, not meet there goal weight by any means necessary.

Well, I guess I'm dead.
    tumblr_inline_n53zc9AbK21rh8sjm.gif
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

This is a vast improvement over that MyPlate nonsense, but even this has its flaws. Haven't concerns about saturated fat been debunked? Limiting dairy? Avoiding potatoes? That's all just silliness.

I'm also disappointed that in the section on the site where they expand on their reasoning, there's a lot of doom-and-gloom about certain foods "raising the risk" of certain illnesses, but there's no link to further information about how eating these foods raises the risk, or the dosage in which this becomes a problem. "A high intake is linked to…" - ok, what is considered a high intake? There's no context provided.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

My own plate would be heavier on the fats then their recommendation. Their limitation of dairy being part of that.

Agree on fats and dairy.

They don't even have any refined carbs on that, besides the reference to grains.

Agree that they seem anti potato. Weird to recommend grains rather than the broader starches, IMO.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

This is a vast improvement over that MyPlate nonsense, but even this has its flaws. Haven't concerns about saturated fat been debunked? Limiting dairy? Avoiding potatoes? That's all just silliness.

I'm also disappointed that in the section on the site where they expand on their reasoning, there's a lot of doom-and-gloom about certain foods "raising the risk" of certain illnesses, but there's no link to further information about how eating these foods raises the risk, or the dosage in which this becomes a problem. "A high intake is linked to…" - ok, what is considered a high intake? There's no context provided.

I prefer the Mediterranean diet pyramid and not only because it includes wine :smile:

Not sure this is saying avoid potatoes though its just that most of these eating plans don't count potatoes as one of the magical 5 a day
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Agree on fats and dairy.

They don't even have any refined carbs on that, besides the reference to grains.

Agree that they seem anti potato. Weird to recommend grains rather than the broader starches, IMO.
    Perhaps if candy corn and pop tarts aren't on there they don't exist. :tongue:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options

Well, whole wheat bread and whole wheat pasta are refined grains , which they recommend but then go on to say limited refined grains....they say to limit trans fats then recommend canola oil that have trans fats in every bottle........they really haven't a clue what they're talking about.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Well, whole wheat bread and whole wheat pasta are refined grains , which they recommend but then go on to say limited refined grains....they say to limit trans fats then recommend canola oil that have trans fats in every bottle........they really haven't a clue what they're talking about.
    I suspect they are defining refined grains a bit differently than you are.
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I am interested as dinner is always my problem.