Keto diet

Options
124»

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,963 Member
    Options
    Um, so what happens when you start eating carbs again? Or do you not? Just curious...

You gain the weight back. I did low carb for about a year and a half. Yes, I lost weight. Yes, it beat down the hunger beast. BUT the diet is pretty damn monotonous. You essentially shut yourself out of about 90% of all restaurant food and 2/3rds of the aisles at the grocery store. So, yeah, I gained it all back and then some.

Let's face it folks, there is just too much yummy food out there that has a lot of carbs in it. A life without birthday cake, moose tracks ice cream, fetticine alfredo, and cinnamon streusel bread is not worth living IMHO. Nowadays, I just count calories and if I go over on one day, I make it up the next day. Easy peasy.

I'm perfectly happy with my way of eating. I eat lots of awesome food, including Alfredo sauce on my zucchini noodles. It doesn't have to be monotonous. I have plenty of variety. There are a gazillion low-carb recipes out there. Quite yummy. But you do what works for you and I'm happy you found it.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Um, so what happens when you start eating carbs again? Or do you not? Just curious...
    Well if people eat maintenance calories you don't.

Looks like a lot of people need to keep their mouth shut until they actually do some research about keto diets.

LOL to "losing water weight but gain it back when you drink more water". Please, just no.
  • baconslave
    Options
    Well if people eat maintenance calories you don't.

Looks like a lot of people need to keep their mouth shut until they actually do some research about keto diets.

LOL to "losing water weight but gain it back when you drink more water". Please, just no.

Seriously, if you just stop tracking and go hog-wild on any plan, you are going to gain it back. There isn't anything mysterious about it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

Blanket statements like this are the reason so many arguments start. Holding protein levels stable, there is no science to support this.
    There really is no reason to go on a keto diet. It won't help you lose more fat, it will just help wtih water weight. Which goes away on its own when you drink more water anyways.
    Unfortunately, blanket statements like this go unchallenged by moderation. Puzzling how that works. 10zz14m.jpg

To provide you some education, moderators are here to ensure the below guidelines are followed:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

As you can see, moderators do not check for the validity of statements. Generally the way the internet works (especially forums if you are new to that scene), is a person makes an absurd claim, the majority challenge it, and then the person who makes the claim has to provide science to back their claim. But if you want, I can start with actual science:

Abstract - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16685046
    Full Text - http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/83/5/1055.long

"KLC [keto low carb] and NLC [non ket low carb] diets were equally effective in reducing body weight and insulin resistance, but the KLC diet was associated with several adverse metabolic and emotional effects. The use of ketogenic diets for weight loss is not warranted."

And I know, I should pick up Phinney and Volek have a book called The Art and Science of Low Carb Performance, but I like to see unbiased research, someone pushing a particular lifestyle.

Hmmm...for adverse metabolic effects they cite LDL increase, but generally that is because they ignore particle size. Actually the larger the particle, the less of an issue LDL level is. Larger particles are less dense than smaller ones, and much less likely to cause plaque build-up. If they didn't test particle size, it's questionable how determinable the "high-LDL" number is. Particle size makes a difference. The study tested only for concentration, not particle size.
    Viewed under an electron microscope, some LDL particles appear large, while others are small and dense. Surprisingly, the big, buoyant LDL particles are relatively benign. It’s their bantam-sized counterparts that do more of the damage. That’s because small, dense LDL particles seem better able to slip through the cells that line the walls of arteries. These small LDL particles are also more readily oxidized, and only oxidized LDL can enter the macrophages in the lining of the arteries and form cholesterol- rich plaques. (http://www.johnshopkinshealthalerts.com/reports/heart_health/1886-1.html)

Also, the cardiac issues mentioned were only referenced to other studies which were done on children.

As far as emotional effects, I saw no data about the emotional effects the study mentioned, except in mentioning another study. I imagine carb-withdrawl might make a person cranky in the beginning. But I honestly am happy, have little to no depression any more, and feel motivated to workout more than I have on any other diet.

Appreciate the information on LDL. The main purpose I was using the study for was to demonstrate there is no one "best" diet. In the study, the KTC followed macros of 5% carbs, 60% fats, and 35% protein vs a NLC diet of 40% carbs, 30% fats and 30% protein. Equivalent weight and fat loss was lost. While the study was not huge, it doesn't suggest a keto diet as having a metabolic advantage against another diet. Funny thing is, the majority of the IIFYM people on this board follow closely to the 40/30/30 macros during weight loss as it generally can allow people to achieve the 1g per lb of lean body mass goal.
  • baconslave
    Options

Blanket statements like this are the reason so many arguments start. Holding protein levels stable, there is no science to support this.
    There really is no reason to go on a keto diet. It won't help you lose more fat, it will just help wtih water weight. Which goes away on its own when you drink more water anyways.
    Unfortunately, blanket statements like this go unchallenged by moderation. Puzzling how that works. 10zz14m.jpg

To provide you some education, moderators are here to ensure the below guidelines are followed:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

As you can see, moderators do not check for the validity of statements. Generally the way the internet works (especially forums if you are new to that scene), is a person makes an absurd claim, the majority challenge it, and then the person who makes the claim has to provide science to back their claim. But if you want, I can start with actual science:

Abstract - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16685046
    Full Text - http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/83/5/1055.long

"KLC [keto low carb] and NLC [non ket low carb] diets were equally effective in reducing body weight and insulin resistance, but the KLC diet was associated with several adverse metabolic and emotional effects. The use of ketogenic diets for weight loss is not warranted."

And I know, I should pick up Phinney and Volek have a book called The Art and Science of Low Carb Performance, but I like to see unbiased research, someone pushing a particular lifestyle.

Hmmm...for adverse metabolic effects they cite LDL increase, but generally that is because they ignore particle size. Actually the larger the particle, the less of an issue LDL level is. Larger particles are less dense than smaller ones, and much less likely to cause plaque build-up. If they didn't test particle size, it's questionable how determinable the "high-LDL" number is. Particle size makes a difference. The study tested only for concentration, not particle size.
    Viewed under an electron microscope, some LDL particles appear large, while others are small and dense. Surprisingly, the big, buoyant LDL particles are relatively benign. It’s their bantam-sized counterparts that do more of the damage. That’s because small, dense LDL particles seem better able to slip through the cells that line the walls of arteries. These small LDL particles are also more readily oxidized, and only oxidized LDL can enter the macrophages in the lining of the arteries and form cholesterol- rich plaques. (http://www.johnshopkinshealthalerts.com/reports/heart_health/1886-1.html)

Also, the cardiac issues mentioned were only referenced to other studies which were done on children.

As far as emotional effects, I saw no data about the emotional effects the study mentioned, except in mentioning another study. I imagine carb-withdrawl might make a person cranky in the beginning. But I honestly am happy, have little to no depression any more, and feel motivated to workout more than I have on any other diet.

Appreciate the information on LDL. The main purpose I was using the study for was to demonstrate there is no one "best" diet. Funny thing is, the majority of the IIFYM people on this board follow closely to the 40/30/30 macros during weight loss as it generally can allow people to achieve the 1g per lb of lean body mass goal.

True indeed. "There is no one "best diet.'"

I just read it and wanted to see what specifically troubling findings they had. Definitely more study on keto and LDL need to be done while analyzing particle-size. And I almost went into psychology so I was very interested to see any data they had since it was mentioned, but alas, the study had nothing for me.

Very interesting on the 40/30/30 macro bit, though. Food for thought.
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options

You gain the weight back. I did low carb for about a year and a half. Yes, I lost weight. Yes, it beat down the hunger beast. BUT the diet is pretty damn monotonous. You essentially shut yourself out of about 90% of all restaurant food and 2/3rds of the aisles at the grocery store. So, yeah, I gained it all back and then some.

Let's face it folks, there is just too much yummy food out there that has a lot of carbs in it. A life without birthday cake, moose tracks ice cream, fetticine alfredo, and cinnamon streusel bread is not worth living IMHO. Nowadays, I just count calories and if I go over on one day, I make it up the next day. Easy peasy.

what restaurants are you eating at that only provide 10% of their food in meat dishes? i suggest you get out more. as far as the 2/3 of the grocery store aisles, these are also the aisles with the most processed, most heavily modified foods in the store. no matter what diet you're following, you're better off avoiding those foods anyway.

i've low-carbed on and off for years. short of going to a vegetarian restaurant, i've never had a problem finding food to eat, even if it means i have to have them tweak a dish or two.

and hey... you might not want to live without cake, ice cream, pasta, and bread, but that doesn't mean some of us have a problem giving it up. i'd rather have a plate of ribeye steak and broccoli with melted butter than a dish of ice cream any day.