not trying to start a fight here but just a point...

Options
Why is it more socially acceptable to be overweight or obese these days, but it is not acceptable to be skinny.

You are not allowed to say that some needs to diet, but you are allowed to say that someone needs to eat a pizza or something.

i think that this is wrong, both are unhealthy, both are ways of life, heck both are even illnesses, eating yourself to death and people say sorry, people feel bad and try to support you, but people 'not eating enough' are ridiculed and told to seek professional help and in most cases shouted at and told to grow up.

Not right in my opinion.

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Good question... To me it seems that people assume slimmer people have a higher self esteem and can handle "jabs" better.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,922 Member
    Options
    It is? Not that I'm aware of.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I don't think that is the case, at least from my perspective.

I guess you need to "walk a mile" in someone else's shoes to get a different perspective.

Rudeness is rudeness, no matter where it is directed and many of us have been victims of this.
  • mswanger09
    mswanger09 Posts: 863 Member
    Options

I think the OP is talking about some of the memes going around on facebook from time to time. There are several along the lines of "Men like girls with curves and not stick figures."

Not saying it is right, but I have been seeing a lot of that too.
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Good question... To me it seems that people assume slimmer people have a higher self esteem and can handle "jabs" better.

I have been, by society's standards, skinny for my entire life. I have a little excess weight now, but people still comment that I am thin.

And I have horrible self esteem. If someone says something rude or mean, I feel it, just like anyone else. Just because I am thin does not mean I am perfect and have great self esteem.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It's not ok...but trust me, the jabs go both ways.
  • Missboss888
    Missboss888 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Down here in South Texas most people have no filter. I wish people would stop telling me to stay away from the cheesecake! I know! I've looked in the mirror. Then again I have a friend who is my height but only weighs 97 pounds and she is always talking about needing to lose weight and workout and people are always telling her she needs to eat something. Maybe people think that's their way of telling her she looks fine but I sure do know she's tired of it.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I think the OP is talking about some of the memes going around on facebook from time to time. There are several along the lines of "Men like girls with curves and not stick figures."

Quite. Perhaps we should worry more about the objectification of women, memes aimed at fat/skinny women as opposed to fat/skinny people and the judging of a woman's fitness based upon her sexual appeal to men.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    That's why the body acceptance movement is so crucial and why we all should love our bodies (myself included because goodness knows I don't!). Whether it be "skinny shaming" or "fat shaming" or whatever, it's harmful and shouldn't be happening. I myself am guilty of saying stuff about feeding people - usually skinny (male) singers - but I've learned that it's not helpful to overall feelings of well-being, even when said only to myself.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I think it's just that there is an effort for people to be happy with who they are, even if they are fat, and accepting it, celebrating it even.

I'm not sure things are any worse about being skinny now than they ever were before. Although the number of overweight people is really starting to crowd out the number of skinny people...so maybe things are changing as you say, I just haven't seen it.
  • liannexxx
    liannexxx Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    To be honest I think people just want to have a little chip at whatever they can. Insecure people will always find a way of making someone feel bad in order so they get reassured they are better......whether they are fat or skinny!

The key is I reckon just to be so self confident you ignore their little digs.

Xx
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I have never been skinny shamed. I was "skinny" (5'2 and 90-110 pounds) the most I got was chicken legs.

As an overweight military wife, you see it all the time. There are facebook sites devoted to making fun of the fat "dependa" we even get called dependapotamues.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matters one way or another. People will always find something to whine about or someone to cut down to make themselves feel better.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I wasn't aware that criticizing someone because of their body was socially acceptable. Period.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options

Not saying it is right, but I have been seeing a lot of that too.

UG.. those make me CRINGE.. and I don't find it acceptable at ALL.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    If those people are not making fun of the way someone looks then they will find something else.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

This.

Also, you can't generalize about social rules, as it varies. Where I am commenting on either is unacceptable and both happen behind people's back on occasion, like other gossip, and may be expressions of concern to people who are close, also, although I'm sure people feel uncomfortable at the latter and I don't personally think it's generally helpful.

Edited for clarity. Being either is "acceptable," whatever that means, but being thinner is definitely preferred on average and thought more positively of.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

^this.

Perception is reality for individuals, but that doesn't make it so for the masses.