Body Image

Options
Us woman cannot win. Our body images are all over the place or at least mine is. I am mixed. I am Mexican and White. So in the Mexican culture I am too skinny/not enough meat and curves. Then on the white side I am on the thick/borderline chunky side. So I have nonstop body image issue’s. I think almost allllll woman do. I think the skinny girls are starting to feel a bit of out pain with this new pop culture trend of having a “fat A**” . When I heard/saw the video Anaconda I thought to myself “oh great something to add to my list”!!

This makes me wonder – do others have my same issue? Are you a mixed race and notice a huge body image difference? Also, Men - do you have body image issues or are the woman alone in this matter? What is your body image issue?

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I am mixed. I am M̶e̶x̶i̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶W̶h̶i̶t̶e̶ *kitten* exotic
    FIFY

Obviously you're missing the entire thing called YOUR HEAD that's sitting on your body. You can't exercise that to be better and yours is beautiful. Just continue to hit your calorie goals and workout. 90% of the work is already genetically given to you for free.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    You need to pick a goal and go for it ignoring what others say.

PS I dislike big butts and cannot lie.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Men and women have body image issues. Even people who aren't mixed race have body image issues. You'll be happier when you stop worrying about what others think or look like and just focus on loving yourself the way you are.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I don't want/need to fit into a stereotype so I just stick with my fitness goals and whatever shape that makes me I'm happy with. I find more satisfaction on my body's capability rather than aesthetics.
  • FoodFitnessTravel
    FoodFitnessTravel Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    girrrrrl ya gorgeous :)
  • FoodFitnessTravel
    FoodFitnessTravel Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'll just let you know i live in Asia and there's a HUGE pressure to be skinny here. Back home everyone tells me that i'm too skinny and that i should stop trying to be "one of them". But here everything is about beauty and plastic surgery. It's a very superficial world.

Last Friday i met a korean plastic surgeon who told me that I should get my jaw bones reshaped. It was kind of funny because where I come from we love strong facial features.

Just letting you know that you're not the only one trying to fit in. Sometimes I am really sad because i wasn't born Asian... Oh well.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Love yourself. No one else has to if they can't love you for who you are then they aren't worth your time. You're beautiful inside and out. Once you believe that it won't matter to you what anyone else looks like or says you should look like.
  • mikeyrs
    mikeyrs Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Ummm.... you have a body image issue? Are you serious? Your fiance doesn't have a problem with your body or your looks because you are simply.... ahem.... stunning, and a little bit nuts, too. Your photographs are beautiful. Just eat reasonably well and make time for exercise several days each week to maintain your overall health.
  • MelonJMusic
    MelonJMusic Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I feel ya girl. I am Puerto Rican and Dominican. I was always thin and was told I was just too skinny. Chicken legs, no butt, whatever u can think of. On the flip side, I had strangers and friends telling me I could be a model and had a dancer's body. I listened to my family and did and ate everything I could to gain that butt and thighs. Well I got them, plus way more than I wanted, and a terrible relationship with food. Nothing was wrong with my body. Body issues suck and I still struggle with my family who think my goal weight is too thin or "unnecessary." THATS MY BODY, SO DEAL! Lol ugh...the struggle is real.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Funny, I was on the Subway this morning and I looked at my image in the window and I was thinking how I still see myself as fit and trim. I know I've gained weight and it's got to come off, but I still see the strong, slim, tall chick I've always seen.

I guess it's cuz I don't have "fat" mentality. I've never really disliked my body. But I'm not happy about the extra weight I'm carrying now.

But, in answer, no, I still see my old body and it's coming back. And I also see the change in the musculature since I've started lifting all those months ago.

It's pretty cool.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Men and women have body image issues. Even people who aren't mixed race have body image issues. You'll be happier when you stop worrying about what others think or look like and just focus on loving yourself the way you are.

EXACTLY!!!!

OR ...

EXACTAMENTE! Dominicana/lebanese in the room.
  • redromad275
    redromad275 Posts: 884 Member
    Options

Exactly
  • themusicdude
    themusicdude Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I reLly didn't have any body image issues before I got started working out. It was just, "Oh, round is a shape..."

Now I admit that I'm more critical because I see the scale numbers drop but not see enough of the results I want. Most of my shirts are too lose in the chest now, but still too tight in the stomach. My forearms are less flabby, but my triceps still appear to soft; my glutes are looking better from the squats, but my legs and thighs seem unchanged. It's frustrating, but I try to remind myself it's part of a process.

As far as body issues regarding females, I admit that I'm STRONGLY attracted to a certain shape and build, but not exclusively.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Strive to have the body YOU like. Don't worry about anyone else. I don't care if people think I'm too skinny, I like what I see in the mirror.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    It's interesting how different cultures have vastly different norms when it comes to weight and body image. I'm half Latin but I grew up in the U.S. and have a very American view of body image (i.e. mind your own business). My Latin friends and relatives have always seemed much too opinionated about my body for my taste. How many times was I called "gordita" growing up? Ugh. A Latin boyfriend grabbed my *kitten* and told me not to gain any weight -- I was 5'3," 115lbs, and 15 years old. Not skinny but certainly not overweight. I still carry that comment with me and it still hurts. Just last week I was buying a granola bar from the vending machine at work and a Latin co-worker (male) said, "are you suuuure you want to eat that?" I was appalled...it still pisses me off to think about it.

Anyway, to the OP...you should try and figure out what YOU think of your OWN body and to hell with everyone else.

:smile:
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I have huge body image issues period! It is a constant struggle to keep a positive mental attitude with respect to my body image. I work at it daily. Regardless of who you are, what you weigh, what ethnicity you are and a whole host of other factors, the issue of body image is very much an influencing factor for many. If you don't like an aspect of your body, change it or accept it but don't let others get in your head over it :flowerforyou:
  • sarajenivieve
    sarajenivieve Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    i find reading the body articles on everydayfeminism.com helps a lot! it teaches you to analyze why you think and feel certain things about yourself that you may not even realize until its pointed out and it helps you get over it, i also find listening to spoken word helps as it usually has empowering messages behind it :) (btw that site has articles to help men aswell as women)
  • sarajenivieve
    sarajenivieve Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    It's interesting how different cultures have vastly different norms when it comes to weight and body image. I'm half Latin but I grew up in the U.S. and have a very American view of body image (i.e. mind your own business). My Latin friends and relatives have always seemed much too opinionated about my body for my taste. How many times was I called "gordita" growing up? Ugh. A Latin boyfriend grabbed my *kitten* and told me not to gain any weight -- I was 5'3," 115lbs, and 15 years old. Not skinny but certainly not overweight. I still carry that comment with me and it still hurts. Just last week I was buying a granola bar from the vending machine at work and a Latin co-worker (male) said, "are you suuuure you want to eat that?" I was appalled...it still pisses me off to think about it.

Anyway, to the OP...you should try and figure out what YOU think of your OWN body and to hell with everyone else.

:smile:

115 at 5'3 sounds perfect! im 5'2 between 117-120 and am not fat at all that guy sounds like he was not worth your time (im sure your over something from your teens but still)
  • Maerwhyn
    Maerwhyn Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Strive to have the body YOU like. Don't worry about anyone else. I don't care if people think I'm too skinny, I like what I see in the mirror.

I totally agree with this. Any culture you encounter will tell you how you "should" look, but ignore it. You decide what makes you healthy and happy, and go with it. It's YOUR body, so do what makes YOU happy.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I had body image issues even though I am male. So did my wife. Now we are older and don't give a cr#p what others think. So it must have been all in our heads.

Solution: become older