Replies

• JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    1800795-not_again.png
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Review the community guidelines - there's a link to them in the page footer. A lot of those awful comments are definitely against the guidelines. Whenever someone is pissing me off and they're violating those guidelines, I report the comment. And then, if they piss me off more than once, I also click the little arrow underneath their profile picture in the thread, and choose to ignore the user.

There are just some people who come onto every thread with criticism, or inappropriate sexual comments, or a terrible attitude, and clicking that ignore button is magic - you don't have to deal with them anymore. :)
    You've been here a month and report a lot already? May I suggest more ignoring, less reporting?
    If people saying mean things are breaking the rules we all agreed to, I see no reason not to report. That's the purpose of the button. Why does this bother you?

this explains. SO much.

:angry:

Yup...the only threads/posts I report after 1 year + of being here are those awful selling something posts...the rest eh...I put my big girl panties on (no not granny ones either) and move on with my day...
    Same. I only use the "tattletale" button for spammers.
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    And this thread is missing something with cats in it so:
    s1600
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm a newbie to MFP, but this ain't my first rodeo with internet forums, so I don't get butthurt easily, nor am I quick to yell "troll!" Although, in the short time I've been here, I have enjoyed seeing a couple. Nothing like creating a brand new account just to ask about what you should do about leaving up your email and your boyfriend who doesn't trust you is reading it and seeing an email from you ex husband talking about your "activities" together that weren't of a sexual nature. Yeah, probably a little stronger than 420 here, my friends. I think this troll got some bath salts when they thought this one up. It was entertaining, at least. Over on BabyCenter, it used to be Friday nights that our trolls came around with stuff like that.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    If you have cat gif's on page 3 then the OP is obviously someone to avoid

Cat-watches-toilet-flush.gif?
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    i notice there are a lot of people in these forums who only comment to be negative or bash anyone who gives advice, why are you on a social fitness site if you dont want help? How do you all deal with these trolls? iv been using the forum for like 3 days and its already pissing me off lol

Honest answer.

It's because a lot of new people START by giving advice, when they should be taking it.

:angry: I get annoyed when us newbies ask legitimate help questions, yet some who've been here for years only give negative comments cuz they're annoyed the same question keeps coming up apparently. Gee, we don't know, we're new. I mean, don't get angry if you know a lot of newbies come into this website every day asking for help and maybe with the same question every day (by different people). If you can't deal with the newbies, i suggest you stop with the sarcastic comments, don't answer and stick with the forums of those who've also been here for a while, and leave the newbies alone. :grumble:

Rant over, sorry. :embarassed:

Did you even read this before going off on your rant. Since obviously you didn't
    " It's because a lot of new people START by giving advice, when they should be taking it".

Read, think, think some more then respond
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    sara Mr Draper will see you now:

judging-you.gif
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    CakemadeofrainbowsandSmiles.gif
  • APLAWING
    Options
    Hunger makes people grumpy?

^^^THAT IS IT!^^^
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    TYIrkr1.gif
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    Hangry people have a short fuse

user-syntax.png
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Two websites... Babycenter and TheKnot

Go there for a while and then come back.

For. Real. They hump the report button over on BBC. The butthurt is strong. When people from the birth boards wandered over to the DT (The Debate Team) it rocked their world. We were reported ALL the time for personal attacks, that actually *weren't* personal attacks. We were mean, there's no two ways about it, and you'd better be intelligent, and know what you were talking about, or you got your *kitten* handed to you. At least back in my day, when I hung out there. This is mild. WAY. Mild. The only thing I hump the report button on is that damn spam that floods the forum every night. That rakes my grates for some reason. Other than that, I think I'd have to see something really hard core or a severe threat of bodily harm to report and/or block someone.

I loved going into the Debate Team because frak... I couldn't take the arguing over how to raise your kid... and the In Laws and Family of Origin board... now people want to see blunt, that is one blunt forum right there...
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm a newbie to MFP, but this ain't my first rodeo with internet forums, so I don't get butthurt easily, nor am I quick to yell "troll!" Although, in the short time I've been here, I have enjoyed seeing a couple. Nothing like creating a brand new account just to ask about what you should do about leaving up your email and your boyfriend who doesn't trust you is reading it and seeing an email from you ex husband talking about your "activities" together that weren't of a sexual nature. Yeah, probably a little stronger than 420 here, my friends. I think this troll got some bath salts when they thought this one up. It was entertaining, at least. Over on BabyCenter, it used to be Friday nights that our trolls came around with stuff like that.

One of my recent favorites was a troll thread about how hard it was to be a beautiful person. People rightfully mocked said troll relentlessly. Then the white knight came along and started a mean people thread about how much horrible damage we could be doing, but flounced before it was revealed that the profile was of some famous internet blogger thus conclusively proving it was in fact a troll. And then there were the pages and pages of people who hadn't read either thread and just wanted to come in and tell everyone how mean they are, usually in a very rude and mean manner.
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    The veterans respectfully suggest you utilize the forums' "search" feature prior to asking newbie questions.

That being said, my sarcasm button is stuck in the "on" position. You will all receive sarcasm from me FOREVER! :devil:
    sandlot-forever-o.gif
    [/quote]

THIS :tongue:
  • lizzybathory
    Options
    Review the community guidelines - there's a link to them in the page footer. A lot of those awful comments are definitely against the guidelines. Whenever someone is pissing me off and they're violating those guidelines, I report the comment. And then, if they piss me off more than once, I also click the little arrow underneath their profile picture in the thread, and choose to ignore the user.

There are just some people who come onto every thread with criticism, or inappropriate sexual comments, or a terrible attitude, and clicking that ignore button is magic - you don't have to deal with them anymore. :)
    You've been here a month and report a lot already? May I suggest more ignoring, less reporting?
    If people saying mean things are breaking the rules we all agreed to, I see no reason not to report. That's the purpose of the button. Why does this bother you?

this explains. SO much.

:angry:

Yup...the only threads/posts I report after 1 year + of being here are those awful selling something posts...the rest eh...I put my big girl panties on (no not granny ones either) and move on with my day...
    Same. I only use the "tattletale" button for spammers.
    Shrug - I don't feel an obligation to let people be awful to one another because I'm afraid someone might call me "butthurt". Sounds kind of middle school, if you ask me. If you don't feel like using the report button, fine; but I really have no sympathy for people who get reported for doing mean things that are against the rules. That's the purpose of the Community Guidelines and the purpose of the report button. We all agreed to the rules when we signed up, so when people break them...
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

One of my recent favorites was a troll thread about how hard it was to be a beautiful person. People rightfully mocked said troll relentlessly. Then the white knight came along and started a mean people thread about how much horrible damage we could be doing, but flounced before it was revealed that the profile was of some famous internet blogger thus conclusively proving it was in fact a troll. And then there were the pages and pages of people who hadn't read either thread and just wanted to come in and tell everyone how mean they are, usually in a very rude and mean manner.

Man! Why do I always miss those threads?!!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Oopsie...forgot my pic

th?id=HN.608007523587261564&pid=15.1&P=0
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    Oopsie...forgot my pic

th?id=HN.608007523587261564&pid=15.1&P=0

I like dem sharp teeth! Grrr....and Happy Monday since guidelines and all. :drinker:
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    i notice there are a lot of people in these forums who only comment to be negative or bash anyone who gives advice, why are you on a social fitness site if you dont want help? How do you all deal with these trolls? iv been using the forum for like 3 days and its already pissing me off lol

Honest answer.

It's because a lot of new people START by giving advice, when they should be taking it.

2nbdet1.jpg
  • _Terrapin_
    Options

Or, in the immortal words of Sargent Hulka "Lighten up Francis!"