Why you SHOULDN'T count calories

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member

No, I don't know her history on MFP. I saw someone who gave very little explanation as to why something was bad and jumped in. I thought it was unfortunate that she heard something and could not explain her position, a position that I agree with. This tends to happen a lot. We hear why something is bad, but the only thing that sticks in our minds is that it's bad and not the reasoning behind it. Hey, we're human. As for her older posts, I had no prior knowledge of them nor do I agree with them (from what you just wrote). Since I am primal/paleo.. we eat lots of meat haha!
    ...and you both have failed to show evidence for your position. Your claim, your burden of evidence.
    Hearing something is bad and accepting it without any peer reviewed studies is the exact opposite of critical thinking and the reason that myths prevail in the nutrition industry (among others).
  • mizzzc
    mizzzc Posts: 346 Member
    holy crap i cant believe i just took half hour out of my day to read these comments. LMAO. Love MFP and the debates...which is honestly a little bit like bullying but I understand why ya'll are doing it. Go team!
  • Let's be real honest here, the folks who begged for links wanted to see her fall. You did not politely and genuinely want to learn from her source, you wanted blood. Stop kidding around. If she provided you with a link, you would have told her that she doesn't have a credible source. How are you so sure that you're source is providing the full truth? They're probably funded by diet soda companies and sugar-free gum companies attempting to prove it's OK and will not kill you right away.

I actually did politely ask her for a source and she has not put up a single one yet. Neither have you. An actual link to a proper study supporting your assertions.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Bump- while I go for popcorn
  • lol people are very defensive of their diet sodas lmao no ones taking them away just pointing out how unhealthy they are you are still free to drink them calm your hormones

Please back this statement up with peer reviewed evidence.
    Links...

What's wrong with you people?! Read a health book, please! I'm randomly jumping in here to stop the slaughter of the person who mentioned that diet soda is bad. My explanation will come from memory of books I have read that have, yes, cited their sources. Why is a cup of regular coke better than diet coke? It's better because it does not contain harmful sugar substitutes that is in it's zero calorie counterpart. Example of a harmful sugar substitute, you ask? Sure! ASPARTAME.

Aspartame is bad for you and don't listen to anyone who tells you otherwise and hell yes, it is bad for you in any quantity. I don't even chew the bull sugar-free gum anymore and guess what?! Less gas, bloating, brain fog, diarrhea and all gone by eliminating gum with sorbitol and aspartame. How much you drink or chew will just slow down or speed up the "harmful" process. Aspartame, like MSG (everyone is afraid of MSG but not aspartame I see), is an exotoxin. Exotoxins cause degenerative effects on the brain and nervous system. It's effects are cumulative. You may feel fine at first, but will then notice neurological issues such as headaches, brain fog and early signs of dementia. Do you really want to suffer through that (if you aren't already) just because you want to save a few cals. How about don't drink it at all.. or save it for a special occasion to indulge in junk. Hey, we're human.. we like junk sometimes.. just throw away the "diet junk."

For the person who mentioned diet stuff is bad, it is helpful to know why before mentioning it on a controversial thread such as this one because there are jerks out there that will try to stomp on you and make you feel stupid. By yelling show a link blah blah blah.. they are trying to bury you. Just try to know at least some of the facts first. Diet soda is harmful towards your overall health.. I don't see how exactly it may hinder weight loss though. Just because you lose weight though, doesn't mean it's healthy.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1308408-why-aspartame-isn-t-scary

The reason people ask for links is to prove what you're spewing
    mentioned that diet soda is bad. My explanation will
    hasn't been proven. Can you provide one of the sources, I mean it is pertinent to the conversation.

One of my favorite books is the Truth About Beauty by Kat James. She cites all of her sources in that book (which include case studies not articles written by people with no credibility). It's a great read and you are free to purchase on amazon, if you like. There are also a ton of other books out there.

Aside from that, put down the diet soda for some time and stop chewing sugar free gum and watch the magic. It's all about how YOUR body responds to things. Again, I dropped the gum containing sorbitol and aspartame and I have not had the scary brain fog symptoms, gas, bloating and diarrhea. Try it and see.

I'm happy that you found something that works for you personally. But that's one single data point. We call that 'anecdotal evidence'. It can't be extrapolated to form a working theory for the public at large.

Over the past 24 months, under a calorie controlled diet, I have -

gone through periods of strict sugar and artificial sweetener restriction.
    gone through periods of consuming artificial sweeteners, while restricting sugar.
    gone through periods of consuming no artificial sweeteners, but eating significant amounts of sugar due to heavy training load.
    gone through periods of eating both sugar and artificial sweeteners in moderation while training in moderation.

Mentally and physically, I felt precisely the same during all periods, adjusted for obvious physical stresses caused by training. At no point did I experience 'mental fog' or any sort of negative performance that could be traced to sweetener. My body responded precisely as predicted to all stimulus, through all phases. Calorie deficits led to weight loss. Calorie surplus led to weight gain. Resistance training increased strength and muscle mass. Endurance training increased my aerobic and anaerobic thresholds.

This, too, is of course also purely anecdotal and doesn't form a theory for the public at large. I present it merely as a means of demonstrating that you can't take your experiences and then try to force them down other's throats as absolute truth.

Thanks for sharing your experience and good point! I should not have said that. We are all different. What shows up negatively for me, may show no ill effects on you. I am just very passionate about what I consider junk food and what has caused me problems in the past. I'm tired of hearing something is OK if it doesn't kill you, but we fail to pay attention to things that don't kill you fast but keep you from being healthy.
  • holy crap i cant believe i just took half hour out of my day to read these comments. LMAO. Love MFP and the debates...which is honestly a little bit like bullying but I understand why ya'll are doing it. Go team!

It legit is cyber bullying and it's honestly stupid. It's like a bunch of kids that feel big and bad because they've got numbers. Numbers don't mean they're right. Why couldn't folks just say, "interesting stance! Let's go find out more." No, they came with rocks to throw. It's a shame in my opinion. Whether or not this original girl who mentioned diet soda is nuts, I don't think it was fair to jump on her for her opinion. Help not hurt. I'm a firm believer of that.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    holy crap i cant believe i just took half hour out of my day to read these comments. LMAO. Love MFP and the debates...which is honestly a little bit like bullying but I understand why ya'll are doing it. Go team!

It legit is cyber bullying and it's honestly stupid. It's like a bunch of kids that feel big and bad because they've got numbers. Numbers don't mean they're right. Why couldn't folks just say, "interesting stance! Let's go find out more." No, they came with rocks to throw. It's a shame in my opinion. Whether or not this original girl who mentioned diet soda is nuts, I don't think it was fair to jump on her for her opinion. Help not hurt. I'm a firm believer of that.

People are free to leave a topic or x out of the internet completely. They are also able to ignore users and bypass comments. So no, this is not bullying. You can also check out the definition of cyberbullying and see that this is also not what you are calling "Legit Cyberbullying".
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    lol people are very defensive of their diet sodas lmao no ones taking them away just pointing out how unhealthy they are you are still free to drink them calm your hormones

Please back this statement up with peer reviewed evidence.
    Links...

What's wrong with you people?! Read a health book, please! I'm randomly jumping in here to stop the slaughter of the person who mentioned that diet soda is bad. My explanation will come from memory of books I have read that have, yes, cited their sources. Why is a cup of regular coke better than diet coke? It's better because it does not contain harmful sugar substitutes that is in it's zero calorie counterpart. Example of a harmful sugar substitute, you ask? Sure! ASPARTAME.

Aspartame is bad for you and don't listen to anyone who tells you otherwise and hell yes, it is bad for you in any quantity. I don't even chew the bull sugar-free gum anymore and guess what?! Less gas, bloating, brain fog, diarrhea and all gone by eliminating gum with sorbitol and aspartame. How much you drink or chew will just slow down or speed up the "harmful" process. Aspartame, like MSG (everyone is afraid of MSG but not aspartame I see), is an exotoxin. Exotoxins cause degenerative effects on the brain and nervous system. It's effects are cumulative. You may feel fine at first, but will then notice neurological issues such as headaches, brain fog and early signs of dementia. Do you really want to suffer through that (if you aren't already) just because you want to save a few cals. How about don't drink it at all.. or save it for a special occasion to indulge in junk. Hey, we're human.. we like junk sometimes.. just throw away the "diet junk."

For the person who mentioned diet stuff is bad, it is helpful to know why before mentioning it on a controversial thread such as this one because there are jerks out there that will try to stomp on you and make you feel stupid. By yelling show a link blah blah blah.. they are trying to bury you. Just try to know at least some of the facts first. Diet soda is harmful towards your overall health.. I don't see how exactly it may hinder weight loss though. Just because you lose weight though, doesn't mean it's healthy.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1308408-why-aspartame-isn-t-scary

The reason people ask for links is to prove what you're spewing
    mentioned that diet soda is bad. My explanation will
    hasn't been proven. Can you provide one of the sources, I mean it is pertinent to the conversation.

One of my favorite books is the Truth About Beauty by Kat James. She cites all of her sources in that book (which include case studies not articles written by people with no credibility). It's a great read and you are free to purchase on amazon, if you like. There are also a ton of other books out there.

Aside from that, put down the diet soda for some time and stop chewing sugar free gum and watch the magic. It's all about how YOUR body responds to things. Again, I dropped the gum containing sorbitol and aspartame and I have not had the scary brain fog symptoms, gas, bloating and diarrhea. Try it and see.

I'm happy that you found something that works for you personally. But that's one single data point. We call that 'anecdotal evidence'. It can't be extrapolated to form a working theory for the public at large.

Over the past 24 months, under a calorie controlled diet, I have -

gone through periods of strict sugar and artificial sweetener restriction.
    gone through periods of consuming artificial sweeteners, while restricting sugar.
    gone through periods of consuming no artificial sweeteners, but eating significant amounts of sugar due to heavy training load.
    gone through periods of eating both sugar and artificial sweeteners in moderation while training in moderation.

Mentally and physically, I felt precisely the same during all periods, adjusted for obvious physical stresses caused by training. At no point did I experience 'mental fog' or any sort of negative performance that could be traced to sweetener. My body responded precisely as predicted to all stimulus, through all phases. Calorie deficits led to weight loss. Calorie surplus led to weight gain. Resistance training increased strength and muscle mass. Endurance training increased my aerobic and anaerobic thresholds.

This, too, is of course also purely anecdotal and doesn't form a theory for the public at large. I present it merely as a means of demonstrating that you can't take your experiences and then try to force them down other's throats as absolute truth.

Thanks for sharing your experience and good point! I should not have said that. We are all different. What shows up negatively for me, may show no ill effects on you. I am just very passionate about what I consider junk food and what has caused me problems in the past. I'm tired of hearing something is OK if it doesn't kill you, but we fail to pay attention to things that don't kill you fast but keep you from being healthy.

Which I think is a personally reasonable, and respectable choice for an individual to make.

Where people start to get offended is when criticism is made of their diets, and comparisons are made claiming they are less healthy. Things like 'vegans are more healthy' are presented as absolute truth, when it's far from it.

I eat IIFYM. I get plenty of veges, fiber, fruit, lean meats, etc... I also eat pizza, burgers, hot dogs, ice cream, cake and cookies when the desire takes me and I can fit it within the constraints of a balanced diet.

My blood tests put me in the healthy ranges for everything. My resting heart rate dips to 47bpm when my training peaks for an event. I did an Olympic distance triathlon this year (swim 1.5km, cycle 40km, run 10km). I lift weights and get stronger every month, even while endurance training. I'll run (then cycle, then swim) rings around most people you care to point out, vegan, vegetarian, meat eater, paleo or any other diet you care to mention.

I'm not unhealthy just because I eat cheeseburgers, sugar and artificial sweeteners on occasion.
  • Let's be real honest here, the folks who begged for links wanted to see her fall. You did not politely and genuinely want to learn from her source, you wanted blood. Stop kidding around. If she provided you with a link, you would have told her that she doesn't have a credible source. How are you so sure that you're source is providing the full truth? They're probably funded by diet soda companies and sugar-free gum companies attempting to prove it's OK and will not kill you right away.

I actually did politely ask her for a source and she has not put up a single one yet. Neither have you. An actual link to a proper study supporting your assertions.

I actually didn't even see your post. Don't assume I'm talking to everyone. And exactly.. be specific. You all asked for a link.. oh you were not specific. If she provided you with an article she read or something else. You'd then tell her that it's not a credible source. Come on.. now you want a "proper study" after I told everyone my source which cited her sources. I suggest you purchase the book and dig through the studies the author provided. You're asking for someone to dig through medical journals etc. I did my research more than 2 years ago. You want me to dig through this now? Listen here, if you don't agree, prove your own position and stop requesting my sources. I don't even know why I'm still on this thing on my only day off from work. Ugh! I should be relaxing not forcing myself to dig through case studies. Maybe I will grace you with a link next weekend because I do work.. 10-12 hour days on average. I'm wasting time arguing here.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    I think most people can get away with not counting calories if they stick to whole, unprocessed foods, especially if those foods are primarily plant based. I don't say that because I think you can get away with eating 6,000 calories of spinach daily and not gain weight. I say it because by sticking to unprocessed food, you're just not going to want to eat as much. Your calories will be limited by lack of desire for more of the same old boring stuff.

I actually didn't even see your post. Don't assume I'm talking to everyone. And exactly.. be specific. You all asked for a link.. oh you were not specific. If she provided you with an article she read or something else. You'd then tell her that it's not a credible source. Come on.. now you want a "proper study" after I told everyone my source which cited her sources. I suggest you purchase the book and dig through the studies the author provided. You're asking for someone to dig through medical journals etc. I did my research more than 2 years ago. You want me to dig through this now? Listen here, if you don't agree, prove your own position and stop requesting my sources. I don't even know why I'm still on this thing on my only day off from work. Ugh! I should be relaxing not forcing myself to dig through case studies. Maybe I will grace you with a link next weekend because I do work.. 10-12 hour days on average. I'm wasting time arguing here.

I will provide as many sources as you have.
    So perhaps you should google my stance on this topic?

• Thanks for sharing your experience and good point! I should not have said that. We are all different. What shows up negatively for me, may show no ill effects on you. I am just very passionate about what I consider junk food and what has caused me problems in the past. I'm tired of hearing something is OK if it doesn't kill you, but we fail to pay attention to things that don't kill you fast but keep you from being healthy.
    [/quote]

Which I think is a personally reasonable, and respectable choice for an individual to make.

Where people start to get offended is when criticism is made of their diets, and comparisons are made claiming they are less healthy. Things like 'vegans are more healthy' are presented as absolute truth, when it's far from it.

I eat IIFYM. I get plenty of veges, fiber, fruit, lean meats, etc... I also eat pizza, burgers, hot dogs, ice cream, cake and cookies when the desire takes me and I can fit it within the constraints of a balanced diet.

My blood tests put me in the healthy ranges for everything. My resting heart rate dips to 47bpm when my training peaks for an event. I did an Olympic distance triathlon this year (swim 1.5km, cycle 40km, run 10km). I lift weights and get stronger every month, even while endurance training. I'll run (then cycle, then swim) rings around most people you care to point out, vegan, vegetarian, meat eater, paleo or any other diet you care to mention.

I'm not unhealthy just because I eat cheeseburgers, sugar and artificial sweeteners on occasion.
    [/quote]

Cool, I understand. Though, I did not tell anyone that they could not eat or drink junk. Do I believe diet soda is bad, yes. Do I think if you have diet soda, sugar-free gum, deep fried foods, sugary treats on occasion, you'll die tomorrow, no. I still eat those things,though I do steer clear of diet soda and sugar-free gum because I need my brain and I don't want to risk going back to my memory loss days because they weren't fun and put my future at risk. I am more primal than paleo. I follow Mark Sisson's 80/20 rule, so I do get to enjoy some of those foods and they actually helped me when I plateaued a few times (weird). I still haven't done enough research on how junk foods can help break or prevent someone from plateauing. The key is definitely not overdoing it though. Like you said.. you're not unhealthy just because you eat those things on occasion.

I get how some people could get sensitive, but I guess I'm different. People knock the paleo/primal lifestyle all the time, but I don't go for blood. Everyone says bacon is bad, but I eat bacon quite often (all natural nitrate free bacon from Trader Joe's). If someone wanted to tell me that bacon will kill me, I'll ask why and then once I receive the answer I'll go ahead and do my own research and not only that see how I feel. Go to the doctor and check out my stats. If all is well, I'm good to go. Not yell WHERE'S YOUR PROOF?!?!?!? But that's just me. I do respect your opinion though. Thanks.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member

I'd rather not pay the $16 on Amazon for food fear mongering. I'd rather you just pass along a link or two to her sources and I (we) can go from there.

Now, you're asking for too much my good sir. I already killed so much time responding, now you're asking me to get up and dig through my book shelf for this book and provide you with a link. I'd rather just sit here and eat ice cream while watching extreme weight loss. LOL! :blushing:

Anywho, I gave you all my source of information as to why regular soda is better than diet soda. That should be good enough. I should not have to do additional research now. I know from experience that it's no good for me. No need for me to dig further. If you would like proof and it's burning you inside, it's your job to dig. That's all I'm saying. You can't knock me for that!

You didn't provide evidence. You basically said some lady wrote a book and that she has the evidence. In fact, no. It's your job to dig. Then someone else gets to evaluate and counter. You don't get to wave your hands flippantly in a direction and make assumptions.

EDTI: I will, however, fix your quote tags for you. You're welcome.
    I do not agree. It is not my job to look for anything. When I read the book a few years ago, I wanted to know more and did additional research and not only read up on it but used how I felt to come to a conclusion. I was actually seeing a neurologist for brain fog and memory loss and wondering why my world was crumpling. I did the research for myself and my own individual case. If you want to know whether or not something is for you.. you should take what the poster says and run with it. That's what I would do. If I saw a forum post and you felt strongly about something that I'm unsure of, I would go digging for more answers elsewhere. If you provide your source, good for you.. but I'd also like to find some info on it else where and read up on the differing opinions on the topic and then formulate my own conclusion. I don't ask you to do the work for me. Only if you want to. :happy:

So I think a key point that you may be missing here, is that what you do when you see something that interests you is this, according to your statement above: you do additional research on it and read up on it and use how you feel to come to a conclusion. Now where you choose to accept your additional research from, may not be the most scientifically sound sources, if you are reading books on Amazon which are obviously targeting a particular group to convey a message and ultimately make a profit. But still, kudos to you for your efforts to do some additional research about what you read online before taking something at face value. There is a whole other group of people though, many of the casual forum readers, who DO NOT even go as far as you have to do additional research. Those people, take things they read online from casual internet posters as the gospel truth. They would read your story and your results, which is anecdotal evidence at best, and say, "this woman got rid of her brain fog because she cut out diet soda, so she's right, aspartame is bad for us, I can't ever drink a diet soda again"

The people who are questioning you, asking for the scientific studies from peer reviewed sources, are not asking you that because they need to do more research and they want you to do their homework for them. They've already done that. What they are trying to do is point out to the casual readers, that you don't have scientific studies to back up your claims, only anecdotal evidence, in the hopes that the casual reader DOES follow through and read the studies and realize that there is no scientific proof that Aspartame or other artificial sweeteners are harmful to your health. While you may see that as cyber bullying, I see that as being very helpful in trying to educate others by pointing out the logical fallacy in your reasoning.
  • 350 calories for just one smoothie? How about no lol. I could make a HUGE meal for 350 calories.

I don't see your point. You're coming for me. I'm not coming for you. If you're so passionate about providing proof, why don't you start? That's what I'm saying. I'm logging off now, you're free to provide all the links that you wish. Again, I will possibly look into this more on the weekend. I do find it interesting that you all are so sure it won't harm you. I do know from my personal experience it has done nothing but given me medical problems, but it's interesting what is out there to prove otherwise.

I don't see your point. You're coming for me. I'm not coming for you. If you're so passionate about providing proof, why don't you start? That's what I'm saying. I'm logging off now, you're free to provide all the links that you wish. Again, I will possibly look into this more on the weekend. I do find it interesting that you all are so sure it won't harm you. I do know from my personal experience it has done nothing but given me medical problems, but it's interesting what is out there to prove otherwise.
  • And that is how this usually ends.

No evidence for anything.
  • I do not agree. It is not my job to look for anything. When I read the book a few years ago, I wanted to know more and did additional research and not only read up on it but used how I felt to come to a conclusion. I was actually seeing a neurologist for brain fog and memory loss and wondering why my world was crumpling. I did the research for myself and my own individual case. If you want to know whether or not something is for you.. you should take what the poster says and run with it. That's what I would do. If I saw a forum post and you felt strongly about something that I'm unsure of, I would go digging for more answers elsewhere. If you provide your source, good for you.. but I'd also like to find some info on it else where and read up on the differing opinions on the topic and then formulate my own conclusion. I don't ask you to do the work for me. Only if you want to. :happy:

So I think a key point that you may be missing here, is that what you do when you see something that interests you is this, according to your statement above: you do additional research on it and read up on it and use how you feel to come to a conclusion. Now where you choose to accept your additional research from, may not be the most scientifically sound sources, if you are reading books on Amazon which are obviously targeting a particular group to convey a message and ultimately make a profit. But still, kudos to you for your efforts to do some additional research about what you read online before taking something at face value. There is a whole other group of people though, many of the casual forum readers, who DO NOT even go as far as you have to do additional research. Those people, take things they read online from casual internet posters as the gospel truth. They would read your story and your results, which is anecdotal evidence at best, and say, "this woman got rid of her brain fog because she cut out diet soda, so she's right, aspartame is bad for us, I can't ever drink a diet soda again"

The people who are questioning you, asking for the scientific studies from peer reviewed sources, are not asking you that because they need to do more research and they want you to do their homework for them. They've already done that. What they are trying to do is point out to the casual readers, that you don't have scientific studies to back up your claims, only anecdotal evidence, in the hopes that the casual reader DOES follow through and read the studies and realize that there is no scientific proof that Aspartame or other artificial sweeteners are harmful to your health. While you may see that as cyber bullying, I see that as being very helpful in trying to educate others by pointing out the logical fallacy in your reasoning.

OK, I see your point. That's unfortunate then, if folks don't look into things for themselves. I've learned that the hard way. Even our doctors do it. "Scientific proof" is all well and good if it hasn't been tampered with. I believe a poster shouted out that I was into conspiracy theories, but if I am so be it because I don't think they are the end all be all. It's also on how you feel. Here's a personal experience. I took the Gardasil shot. Within a few days after my final shot, I felt pain all over my body. I was then shortly diagnosed with neuropathy (nerve damage). Gardasil refuses to say this is one of the side effects. If you say you are suffering from anything other than temporary pain at the injection site and feeling faint shortly after the shot, your symptoms have nothing to do with the drug, but it's funny how they claimed there were no reports of neuropathy with this drug but you find it all over the internet and I'm one of them. Because of my personal situation with this.. I do value people's personal experiences over these so called clinical studies that may be leaving out variables to failing to mention certain things. After all, with these case studies they are also relying on how people feel over all. Why not just go straight to the source. The people. So, yes.. I got some of my brain back after eliminating diet soda. If you want to eliminate it due to that reason alone, you may or not be doing yourself a favor, but will it harm you to take it away.. certainly not! OK that was my last response. I just didn't want to ignore your post.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I think most people can get away with not counting calories if they stick to whole, unprocessed foods, especially if those foods are primarily plant based. I don't say that because I think you can get away with eating 6,000 calories of spinach daily and not gain weight. I say it because by sticking to unprocessed food, you're just not going to want to eat as much. Your calories will be limited by lack of desire for more of the same old boring stuff.

I managed to gain weigh on whole foods. (I'm a long-time proponent of whole foods because I like to cook and have annoying foodie tendencies, not for weight loss purposes, although it does make it easier when one wants to convert to a lower calorie diet.) This is the problem with the "clean" or "whole foods" thing--or what I used to think of as "natural" (not that I was any more consistent in what that meant than anyone here). I don't see why plenty of fattier cuts of meat or, say, butter or blue cheese or olive oil wouldn't be "clean" under the usual definitions, and veggies and potatoes roasted with a whole chicken are both delicious and not particularly low cal, and plenty of other cuts of meat (again) far higher calorie. And then one gets into the debate about homemade desserts, which I suppose may not be "clean," under the definitions of some, but it's not entirely clear why not.

For the record I ate plenty of vegetables even when I was getting fat eating "clean" foods, which IME plenty of "clean" proponents here don't actually do, since the definition revolves around not eating stuff, not getting a good balanced diet.

Being "processed" does not make a food not nutrient dense or problematic from a weight loss standpoint or bad for you. (I again point to the most common processed foods I eat--greek yogurt and cottage cheese.) If what people dislike are processed foods that also happen to be high in calories and have high sugar or salt contents (people seem to like to claim that "processed" foods are fatty, salty, and sugary, but my Fage 0% plain isn't, but for the lactose, of course), maybe they should be more specific and explain why, say, homemade potato chips with lots of salt are somehow exempted from the condemnation.

Now, could I have eaten whole foods exclusively without gaining weight (or even losing it)? Sure, but I could also eat the way I do now (including some diet soda, yogurt, AND chocolate) and lose. The way my mind works I just find it easier and more entertaining to count, and part of that is making sure my diet is overall balanced and that I don't undereat. I probably don't eat much differently than if I wasn't counting, though. And again, eating a healthy diet needs to be about much more than excluding foods that people happen to demonize.
  • 135hearmeroar
    135hearmeroar Posts: 27 Member
    My husband doesn't count calories. He's never been overweight, either. He doesn't eat "clean" or whatever. He eats what he wants, when he wants and until he doesn't want any more. Sometimes that means one bite of a candy bar, another time it might mean large portion seconds for a meal.
    He's not a special food-processing machine... he just eats at maintenance level and always has.

I have no idea what any of this has to do with the title.

I guess every body is different and some lucky, I started counting calories and I see a huge difference. Its like when I go to the store mentally I am putting together a meal that is within my calorie range, I have never done this before.

GO SAINTS!!! The fumble, yikes. Laissez les bons temps rouler!!