Why you SHOULDN'T count calories

Options

Replies

• srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Freelee is the chick that called Jenna Marbles fat, isn't she? Pic below from July 2013, about when that happened... she's a nutter and hardly a good person to use as any sort of reference.

Jenna+Marbles+Cincinnati+Reds+v+Los+Angeles+00hXSgRyz6Rl.jpg
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    i semi count calories but you are right a 0cal diet coke is worse than a 150cal smoothie people get way to into the calorie counting and ignore over all nutrition its a tricky balence sometimes

Worse in what way?

For your over all health as well as weightloss
    Sigh, ok, how is it worse for your health, assuming you are meeting your nutrient goals?
    because there are hazardous chemicals in it lol is this a real question? i highly suggest you do some research on 0 cal chemical storms that people put into there bodies, i should add it depends where you live as well as some ingrediants are banned in other countries so for example if your in europe then it was be as bad as if your in america

Bless your heart sweetie....
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    i semi count calories but you are right a 0cal diet coke is worse than a 150cal smoothie people get way to into the calorie counting and ignore over all nutrition its a tricky balence sometimes

But.

Can't I have the coke and the smoothie?

I like your thinking.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Freelee is the chick that called Jenna Marbles fat, isn't she? Pic below from July 2013, about when that happened... she's a nutter and hardly a good person to use as any sort of reference.

Jenna+Marbles+Cincinnati+Reds+v+Los+Angeles+00hXSgRyz6Rl.jpg

I'd tap that.
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    Options
    Bump
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Counting calories isn't necessary to lose weight. Before the internet and all these fancy apps, calorie counting was much more difficult and much less common, but people still went on diets and lost weight.

That doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T count calories.

No, we used reference books. Yes, having the web is MUCH easier but there were lots of inexpensive paperbacks listing calorie counts -- among other numbers like protein, etc. Paper journals were used. Then we moved on to CDs and spread sheets.

Paper is a perfectly function adequate information carrying medium we ancients used before you youngsters invented the interwebs.

And, yes, I was using networked computers before your mother was born.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options

What did Diet Coke ever do to you?!
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

Worse in what way?

When you have time...you might be interested in this article...

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/diet-sodas-and-weight-gain-not-so-fast

I thought...it was fairly objective.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    These debates are so maddening. What I don't understand is why people have such a hard time grasping the basic laws of science. Barring certain medical conditions, for the vast majority of people, it truly does come down to Calories In/Calories Out. Whether or not you choose to count and track those calories (in and out) or whether you choose to subscribe to some particular diet, food restriction, or "clean eating" plan, ultimately what will make you lose weight is eating less calories than you burn. Just because you don't count or track the numbers, doesn't mean you are defying basic scientific principles. You are still eating less calories than you burn, you just don't know what the numbers are that you are working with.

Many people on the planet don't know how (or have forgotten how) to calculate the gravitational force on an object, F=MA, where Acceleration is a standard 9.8 meters/second squared (on Earth). Just because you don't plug the numbers in the equation, doesn't mean gravity is invalidated....
  • sarajenivieve
    sarajenivieve Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    lol people are very defensive of their diet sodas lmao no ones taking them away just pointing out how unhealthy they are you are still free to drink them calm your hormones
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    People on here make it seem like calorie counting is the only way to lose weight ever. Everyone is different.

You can eat at a deficit and lose weight without counting a single calorie. Weight loss is not a one size fits all type of thing.

How do you know you are in a deficit then?
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    lol people are very defensive of their diet sodas lmao no ones taking them away just pointing out how unhealthy they are you are still free to drink them calm your hormones

Hey, do you smoke cigarettes?
  • TiffieLand
    Options
    Maybe one shouldn't count like 1-2-3 calories since it is kind of an obsession but one should keep track that you are eating 1500 calories vs 2000 calories. It really makes a big difference over time. I ate healthy all my life like 90% of the time but I still gained weight to chubby. Although that is probably due to the fact, I do lose weight from time to time in order to not let myself get to overweight or obese. If I didn't, I would probably be at the overweight range now. It doesn't matter what go in to lose or gain weight but How much?
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options

Please back this statement up with peer reviewed evidence.
    Links...
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options

What did Diet Coke ever do to you?!

Killed my parents....

But it's okay.

Now I'm Batman

21cc7jq.jpg
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options

Worse in what way?

Sigh, ok, how is it worse for your health, assuming you are meeting your nutrient goals?
    because there are hazardous chemicals in it lol is this a real question? i highly suggest you do some research on 0 cal chemical storms that people put into there bodies, i should add it depends where you live as well as some ingrediants are banned in other countries so for example if your in europe then it was be as bad as if your in america
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that you're probably one of those people who also believes that lifting will make women bulky, that pilates lengthens your muscles, that "toning" is a thing, and carbs are the debil. Maybe even throw in a following of something like paleo or vegan. Am I correct?
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

Worse in what way?

Link?

Also, how does something with 0 calories worse for weight loss than something with 150 calories?

LOL just read the first posts in OP (sara2b120) history. She smokes. Sanctimonious much?
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

Still not seeing any proof on why you "think" a diet soda is bad for me or anyone!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

Worse in what way?

Diet soda is FULL of di-hydrogen monoxide!!!

http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Options

I used to work for a flavor company (they exist) and have LITERALLY (in every correct sense of that word) made these soft drinks from scratch in a lab. I still drink them. I know (well knew) exactly what goes in them.

I think - and I'm willing to be wrong here so correct me folks if I am- that the health issue with soft drinks is a psychological one and not so much a "dangerous chemicals" one. People who often switch from normal soft drinks to imbibing diet soft drinks will tell themselves that they've been "good" with drinking diet and now can "reward" themselves with a high calorie treat that undoes all the calorie cutting they did by drinking a low calorie soft drink.

But the composition of soft drinks that are diet or low calorie- not so much the villain here.