Why you SHOULDN'T count calories

Options

Replies

• bertypr
    bertypr Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm very happy counting calories. It takes some time but is worth it. With my Congestive Heart failure this is the best diet ever.
  • Zoe_lifts
    Zoe_lifts Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm very happy counting calories. It takes some time but is worth it. With my Congestive Heart failure this is the best diet ever.
    I totally agree with you ! :)
    This is the only thing that works for me
  • Zoe_lifts
    Options
    You can gain weight eating "healthy" foods just as easily as "unhealthy" foods.
    http://www.healthylivingheavylifting.com/the-perils-of-clean-eating/
    Interesting read :)
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I remember trying to lose weight by solely eating "clean foods". I stayed fat, lol.
    It's really all about intake and output.

21525558.png
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    My husband doesn't count calories. He's never been overweight, either. He doesn't eat "clean" or whatever. He eats what he wants, when he wants and until he doesn't want any more. Sometimes that means one bite of a candy bar, another time it might mean large portion seconds for a meal.
    He's not a special food-processing machine... he just eats at maintenance level and always has.

I have no idea what any of this has to do with the title.
  • woofer00
    woofer00 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    The goal of all these things is smart nutrition, whether it's counting, clean, iifym,or whatever. Any of them can make you binge, starve, or obsess in some other way.
  • Zoe_lifts
    Options
    I remember trying to lose weight by solely eating "clean foods". I stayed fat, lol.
    It's really all about intake and output.

21525558.png
    Yes me too ! But i know so many people who did do it that way. It's funny how it can be so different for everyone :)
  • Zoe_lifts
    Options
    My husband doesn't count calories. He's never been overweight, either. He doesn't eat "clean" or whatever. He eats what he wants, when he wants and until he doesn't want any more. Sometimes that means one bite of a candy bar, another time it might mean large portion seconds for a meal.
    He's not a special food-processing machine... he just eats at maintenance level and always has.

I have no idea what any of this has to do with the title.
    The title is what i found on tumblr..
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    You can gain weight eating healthy the same as you can eating junk. EVERYTHING, except water, has calories. Because the basic premise of weight loss is calories in versus calories out, counting calories makes sense if you want to lose.

Not true. Celery has NEGATIVE calories!! :devil: I read it on the internet.

Also, 90% of posts on Pinterest link to spam or complete junk.

You should probably also know that 86.45% of all statistics are made up.

GAWD people.

ETA: I'm sipping on a calorie free Diet Coke. *kitten*'s delicious.

And I'm sure whatever you read on the Internet saying celery has negative calories is reliable.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I think reasons exist for why a given individual (note: not everyone) probably shouldn't count calories but I don't think any of those reasons were given.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    Is 2000 calories a lot? I totally believe she may be eating 2000 calories a day. I do, and I'm probably not as active as she is.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    People *should* do whatever helps them get to their goals, provided their goals are reasonable. That might mean counting for some, and that might mean avoiding counting for others. It might mean you go back and forth. People change, and that's fine.

to quote the movie Better Off Dead, in relation to giving advice on how to ski: "Go that way really fast. If something gets in your way, turn."

That's not to say that the turning, or in this case dietary behavior adjustment, might not be difficult and/or more complex when we attempt to figure out why something isn't getting us where we want to go.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    You can gain weight eating healthy the same as you can eating junk. EVERYTHING, except water, has calories. Because the basic premise of weight loss is calories in versus calories out, counting calories makes sense if you want to lose.

GAWD people.

And I'm sure whatever you read on the Internet saying celery has negative calories is reliable.

/sigh.

I was the sarcasms...

I hate it when my humor is lost *LOL* I agree w/ you :)
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options

GAWD people.

/sigh.

I was the sarcasms...

I hate it when my humor is lost *LOL* I agree w/ you :)

My apologies.. on Mondays, humor is lost on me.
  • prettychelly
    prettychelly Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    People on here make it seem like calorie counting is the only way to lose weight ever. Everyone is different.

You can eat at a deficit and lose weight without counting a single calorie. Weight loss is not a one size fits all type of thing.
  • sarajenivieve
    sarajenivieve Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    i semi count calories but you are right a 0cal diet coke is worse than a 150cal smoothie people get way to into the calorie counting and ignore over all nutrition its a tricky balence sometimes
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    But I assume you have a very active lifestyle then?
    I was just wondering, some people actually seem to do this, some friends of me have lost weight by eating what you'd call 'healthy' and not counting a single calorie..
    To me it's very special someone can do this, I've tried losing weight like that in the past and it didn't work.
    If I were to try it again, I would have no idea what I'm doing, or how much I'm eating.

If they did it's because they just happened to end up in a calorie deficit with whatever they were eating. I've never been able to do this either and have always had to count to make sure I wasn't eating too much.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    i semi count calories but you are right a 0cal diet coke is worse than a 150cal smoothie people get way to into the calorie counting and ignore over all nutrition its a tricky balence sometimes

Worse in what way?
  • bstoudt369
    bstoudt369 Posts: 76 Member
    Options

My son tells me this all the time! His number may be different though! :wink: :laugh:
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I came for the chocolate?

I feel it too.
    HCSuptL.gif