Good Carb....Bad Carb

Options
Is there a way to differentiate between good and bad carbs in the food diary?

I am trying this "low carb" thing on my doctors advice....and I like it so far...but I sometimes go over on carbs when eating low carb approved foods, so I am assuming they are good carbs....right?

Replies

• Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

I am trying this "low carb" thing on my doctors advice....and I like it so far...but I sometimes go over on carbs when eating low carb approved foods, so I am assuming they are good carbs....right?

Depends on what it is ... if it's all fruit and veggies I wouldn't sweat it... I go over my carbs on the daily but they all come from fruit and veggies and nothing else.
  • lolabluola
    lolabluola Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    You can do it by subtracting the fiber from the carb total - so veggies and fruit and stuff will still be high in carbs but they are also high in fiber so the net carbs is much lower and you can eat more of them - verses a bag of chips or a big bagel or a bunch of cookies will be high in carbs and not in fiber... Google it though, you'll find a lot of info. Hope that makes some sense!!! :)

edit - count your 'net carbs' - lets you have have fruits and veggies and a lot less junk food
  • All_New_Me
    All_New_Me Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    OK, that is what I was thinking, too. I have stopped bread and chips and all the stuff that tastes good, lol!! It is basically what I was living on before....

I have had some bread stuff that is low carb, using almond flour and coconut flour...sugar subs and that kind of thing...but nothing refined. It's not so bad once you get used to it :D
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I have no idea what low carb approved foods are or how you are defining "bad carb." As I understand low carb, plenty of carbs that other people would consider healthy, like fruit, and whole grain bread, potatoes and sweet potatoes, and corn on the cob, are considered foods to be avoided merely because they are high in carbs.
  • oldantired
    oldantired Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The only low carb bread type product I have found that does not require "getting used to" is Lawash Original Recipe wraps with flaxseed. Just 80 cals and 4 net carbs per wrap. I had one this morning with scrambled eggs, baby spinach and chorizo. About 6 net carbs total.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Carbs are carbs. They are not bad or good.
    The body processes all carbs the same way.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

I always thought the difference was fiber. More fiber = good, too little fiber = bad. But I don't know if there is a way to track fiber in the diary.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Carbs are carbs. They are not bad or good.
    The body processes all carbs the same way.

That's not true. Fiber and resistant starches, for example, are not totally absorbed by the body.
  • lolabluola
    lolabluola Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I always just subtract the total fiber from the total carbs
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I always thought the difference was fiber. More fiber = good, too little fiber = bad. But I don't know if there is a way to track fiber in the diary.

The diary tracks fiber already. Whether it is good or bad is a separate question.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

There is. I track it instead of sugar. You can select what you track out of a long list, although some of the options (like potassium) are misleading since that information isn't included for a lot of the entries.
  • NurseWizzle
    NurseWizzle Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Which is to say, they are all converted into glucose in the bloodstream, where they trigger an insulin response.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    What are your net carbs? Meaning, what is your total carbs MINUS the fiber? If it's at or lower than your carb goal, then you're fine.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    The carbs that are engaged in nefarious activities are the bad ones.
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options

Is that what the show "Breaking Bread" is about?
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Ooooo, I love this game! I wanna play bad Carb.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    More importantly, is there a way to differential good iron from bad iron? I mean, seriously, all the bad iron I'm in-taking is really sticking to my butt.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

Is that what the show "Breaking Bread" is about?

10/10 would bang both quotes
  • All_New_Me
    All_New_Me Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    As far as net Carbs, looks like I'm good.

And, yes, the lady doc explained it the same way....high fiber=good....low fiber=not so good.........like cops who don't pooh regularly, I guess ;)
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    As far as net Carbs, looks like I'm good.

And, yes, the lady doc explained it the same way....high fiber=good....low fiber=not so good.........like cops who don't pooh regularly, I guess ;)

So you're fine. Are you supplementing the lack of carbs with fats? High fat, low carb, moderate protein is the best set-up.