Good Carb....Bad Carb

Options

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,961 Member
    Options
    Is there a way to differentiate between good and bad carbs in the food diary?

I am trying this "low carb" thing on my doctors advice....and I like it so far...but I sometimes go over on carbs when eating low carb approved foods, so I am assuming they are good carbs....right?

Depends on what it is ... if it's all fruit and veggies I wouldn't sweat it... I go over my carbs on the daily but they all come from fruit and veggies and nothing else.

This precisely. Not other discussion, bro-science or otherwise, is necessary.

Your diet should look like this carb-wise:
    Most carbs: veggies
    Some carbs: fruits
    Sparingly: grains and starches

Some low-carb, but not "low-low-carb" do the net carbs thing. It motivates you to choose higher fiber options. Which indirectly often helps your calorie count and helps you choose the more nutrient dense foods. Win/win.

I wouldn't worry about all the Glycemic Index arguments unless you either have blood sugar probs or need inspiration for additions to your "good carb" list.
    The Blue Zone populations eat a lot of starches and grains. They live longer and healthier than any other populations in the world.

Yes. And? Why is that the case? I'm not saying that it isn't the case. There are obviously other factors going on other than glycemic content of the diet.
  • icupkn3
    Options
    Testing, Testing
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

I am trying this "low carb" thing on my doctors advice....and I like it so far...but I sometimes go over on carbs when eating low carb approved foods, so I am assuming they are good carbs....right?

Depends on what it is ... if it's all fruit and veggies I wouldn't sweat it... I go over my carbs on the daily but they all come from fruit and veggies and nothing else.

In your opinion.

Pretty sure that 99% of every reply on this entire forum is someone or other's opinion. Or contains a link to someone's opinion. Just like it appears that your comment is suggesting that it is your opinion that my opinion isn't valid. Unless you are an expert of some kind...:huh:

And we all know what they say about opinions...

That aside, I think that if we are considering the OP's question which was about lowering carbohydrate intake, we don't need to go off on a discussion of every aspect under the sun of low-carbing, insulin resistance, or the good-carb/bad-carb argument. Some things, though good information, are irrelevant to the posed question. :smile:

But obviously that is just an opinion. :wink:

Actually, the OP was interested in differentiating between good carbs and bad carbs so I'm not sure why there wouldn't be a good carb/bad carb discussion.

My opinion, as you correctly identified it, was based upon the post I quoted, indicating that veggies and fruit are what OP should be concerned with. I was just saying that it isn't necessary to get mired in the discussion. The quick and dirty is that what are considered "good carbs" are primarily: veggies and fruits. And a little grains. I was opting for the quick answer to what OP wanted to know. I apologize if I was not clear.

I understand your opinion. I just don't agree with it. My first reply to you was to make sure the OP didn't take it as a fact since it was presented as such by saying no further discussion is needed insinuating that everyone believes what you stated.
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    Good carb , bad carb, you know I've had my share......
  • baconslave
    Options

In your opinion.

Pretty sure that 99% of every reply on this entire forum is someone or other's opinion. Or contains a link to someone's opinion. Just like it appears that your comment is suggesting that it is your opinion that my opinion isn't valid. Unless you are an expert of some kind...:huh:

That aside, I think that if we are considering the OP's question which was about lowering carbohydrate intake, we don't need to go off on a discussion of every aspect under the sun of low-carbing, insulin resistance, or the good-carb/bad-carb argument. Some things, though good information, are irrelevant to the posed question. :smile:

Actually, the OP was interested in differentiating between good carbs and bad carbs so I'm not sure why there wouldn't be a good carb/bad carb discussion.

My opinion, as you correctly identified it, was based upon the post I quoted, indicating that veggies and fruit are what OP should be concerned with. I was just saying that it isn't necessary to get mired in the discussion. The quick and dirty is that what are considered "good carbs" are primarily: veggies and fruits. And a little grains. I was opting for the quick answer to what OP wanted to know. I apologize if I was not clear.

I understand your opinion. I just don't agree with it. My first reply to you was to make sure the OP didn't take it as a fact since it was presented as such by saying no further discussion is needed insinuating that everyone believes what you stated.

Yes, but you forgot this part of the post you quoted:
    Some low-carb, but not "low-low-carb" do the net carbs thing. It motivates you to choose higher fiber options. Which indirectly often helps your calorie count and helps you choose the more nutrient dense foods. Win/win.

I wouldn't worry about all the Glycemic Index arguments unless you either have blood sugar probs or need inspiration for additions to your "good carb" list.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Carbs are carbs. They are not bad or good.
    The body processes all carbs the same way.

Not true.

The glycemic index measures how fast this digestion process occurs.
    Fast carbs have a higher glycemic index which lead to an faster elevation of your blood sugar.
    Slow carbs have a low glycemic index.

Fast carbs: Foods with a high glycemic index include processed carbohydrates such as breads, cereals, sugars, fruits and some starchy vegetables

If eaten regularly, fast carbs can keep your blood sugar elevated, causing weight gain and a higher risk of type 2 diabetes, obesity, metabolic syndrome and cardiovascular disease

Fast carbs are extremely beneficial when eaten before exercising.
    Therefore when bulking most people tend to eat more of these carbs just before working out.
    The fast rise in blood sugar is critical for restoring glycogen in the muscles and liver when eaten withing 2 hours of exercice.

Slow carbs:Foods with a low glycemic index are considered slow carbs, which include most vegetables, whole grains, seeds, nuts, beans, peas and legumes. Slow carbs also tend to be higher in fiber

Slow carbs can provide your body with energy over an extended period of time without a rapid elevation in blood sugar. A low glycemic index diet can aid in weight loss when combined with regular exercising.

And then there is the part of Insulin that has to be taken into consideration
    Insulin
    Insulin is a hormone that controls how cells in your body absorb nutrients from the blood
    Your body maintains a small supply of the sugar glucose in the blood tomake your heart pumpin and your brain functioning at all times
    When nutrients in the blood rise, your pancreas produces the hormone insulin, which signals to cells that it is needed to absorb nutrients

If blood sugar is chronically elevated, the cells in the pancreas that produce insulin fatigue and eventually die, resulting in type 2 diabetes where cells throughout your body are unable to supply themselves with nutrients as needed.

All of which is irrelevant if you are eating at a defecit. :devil:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Not true.

The glycemic index measures how fast this digestion process occurs.
    Fast carbs have a higher glycemic index which lead to an faster elevation of your blood sugar.
    Slow carbs have a low glycemic index.

Fast carbs: Foods with a high glycemic index include processed carbohydrates such as breads, cereals, sugars, fruits and some starchy vegetables

If eaten regularly, fast carbs can keep your blood sugar elevated, causing weight gain and a higher risk of type 2 diabetes, obesity, metabolic syndrome and cardiovascular disease

Fast carbs are extremely beneficial when eaten before exercising.
    Therefore when bulking most people tend to eat more of these carbs just before working out.
    The fast rise in blood sugar is critical for restoring glycogen in the muscles and liver when eaten withing 2 hours of exercice.

Slow carbs:Foods with a low glycemic index are considered slow carbs, which include most vegetables, whole grains, seeds, nuts, beans, peas and legumes. Slow carbs also tend to be higher in fiber

Slow carbs can provide your body with energy over an extended period of time without a rapid elevation in blood sugar. A low glycemic index diet can aid in weight loss when combined with regular exercising.

And then there is the part of Insulin that has to be taken into consideration
    Insulin
    Insulin is a hormone that controls how cells in your body absorb nutrients from the blood
    Your body maintains a small supply of the sugar glucose in the blood tomake your heart pumpin and your brain functioning at all times
    When nutrients in the blood rise, your pancreas produces the hormone insulin, which signals to cells that it is needed to absorb nutrients

If blood sugar is chronically elevated, the cells in the pancreas that produce insulin fatigue and eventually die, resulting in type 2 diabetes where cells throughout your body are unable to supply themselves with nutrients as needed.

All of which is irrelevant if you are eating at a defecit. :devil:
    I won't argue CICO, but I will say this stuff is knowledge that can aid one in CREATING and MAINTAINING a desired deficit.
  • Hornsby
    Options

In your opinion.

Yes, cause it has nothing to do with the disagreement.
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Ooooo, I love this game! I wanna play bad Carb.

Heh. :smokin:
  • baconslave
    Options

In your opinion.

Who doesn't consider whole grains are good carbs? I'm talking medical or nutrition experts here, not just random personal opinions.

Beats me. I didn't say it.

Dr. William David and Dr. David Perlmutter think grain is bad. And it certainly is to those with gluten sensitivity and Celiac. I never said grains weren't considered good carbs.
  • dcristo213
    dcristo213 Posts: 117 Member
    Options

Not true at all. Sugar and simple carbs (bad carbs) vs complex carbs (good carbs). I avoid all carbs, unless they are from veggies.
  • Hornsby
    Options

In your opinion.

Who doesn't consider whole grains are good carbs? I'm talking medical or nutrition experts here, not just random personal opinions.

Dr. William David and Dr. David Perlmutter think grain is bad. And it certainly is to those with gluten sensitivity and Celiac. I never said grains weren't considered good carbs.

No, but saying that they should be eaten "sparingly" insinuates that they are bad. Same with fruit being number 2.
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options

William Davis, MD (author, "Wheat Belly"); David Perlmutter, MD (author: "Grain Brain"); Gary Taubes ("Good Calories, Bad Calories" and "Why We Get Fat, and What to Do About It")

^^^ all excellent reads.
  • baconslave
    Options

In your opinion.

But it has everything to do with your Strawman argument... Leaving out that last part sets my post in a different light. It's obviously easy to knock the first part down without it's conclusion. If I meant them to exist separately, I might well have posted them separately. I obviously did not mean that. I maintain that the OP doesn't need to get mired down with other people arguing about good-carb/bad-carb or arguing whether or not a carb is just a carb. I meant to encapsule the information in a quick, uncomplicted form in its entirety , not carved up.

My opinion is fine, when taken as a whole, as it was authored, and you are entitled to disagree with whichever part. But I would prefer to not be misrepresented. :smile:

And I don't expect anyone to take my experiences and opinions as gospel, even though I think what I have to say is important and contributes to the community or the understanding of the OP. Otherwise I wouldn't bother posting at all.
  • baconslave
    Options

In your opinion.

No, but saying that they should be eaten "sparingly" insinuates that they are bad. Same with fruit being number 2.

My argument would then be, why not prioritize veggies ahead of grains, given that veggies tend, IMO, more vitamin/mineral dense? Try to get those veggies in, because they are important, and then fill the rest with grains? Is there anything wrong with that reasoning, if, as the OP is, trying to keep the carbs down?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Good carb , bad carb, you know I've had my share......
    Thanks a lot. Now that song is in my head.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

William Davis, MD (author, "Wheat Belly"); David Perlmutter, MD (author: "Grain Brain"); Gary Taubes ("Good Calories, Bad Calories" and "Why We Get Fat, and What to Do About It")

^^^ all excellent reads.
    A thorough destruction( over 100 references) of Wheat Belly claims
    http://www.aaccnet.org/publications/plexus/cfw/pastissues/2012/OpenDocuments/CFW-57-4-0177.pdf

And a counter to Taubes by an actual obesity researcher
    http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.ca/2011/08/carbohydrate-hypothesis-of-obesity.html
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

In your opinion.

My argument would then be, why not prioritize veggies ahead of grains, given that veggies tend, IMO, more vitamin/mineral dense? Try to get those veggies in, because they are important, and then fill the rest with grains? Is there anything wrong with that reasoning, if, as the OP is, trying to keep the carbs down?

Whole grains have lots of nutrients. More than some vegetables, depending on which grain and which vegetable. And you only need so much of each nutrient, and too much of some can be harmful. That's what a balanced diet is about.
  • Hornsby
    Options

In your opinion.

But it has everything to do with your Strawman argument... Leaving out that last part sets my post in a different light. It's obviously easy to knock the first part down without it's conclusion. If I meant them to exist separately, I might well have posted them separately. I obviously did not mean that. I maintain that the OP doesn't need to get mired down with other people arguing about good-carb/bad-carb or arguing whether or not a carb is just a carb. I meant to encapsule the information in a quick, uncomplicted form in its entirety , not carved up.

My opinion is fine, when taken as a whole, as it was authored, and you are entitled to disagree with whichever part. But I would prefer to not be misrepresented. :smile:

And I don't expect anyone to take my experiences and opinions as gospel, even though I think what I have to say is important and contributes to the community or the understanding of the OP. Otherwise I wouldn't bother posting at all.

I don't understand how the part I left off has anything to do with that fact that I think the below opinion is wrong. Either way this is getting redundant.

I eat 200-300 grams of carbs per day so only taking 50% (which is less than most as you stated) of that.... Are you really saying I should get 100-150 of those from broccoli (pick a vegetable)? So I should be having 10-15 servings of vegetables per day so that most of my carbs can come from veggies?
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I'm going to sit over here
    > <
    on a make believe couch and wait for the no carb no longer diabetic in 3 months guy to show up to the party. Who wants to join me? :laugh: