Good Carb....Bad Carb

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Which is to say, they are all converted into glucose in the bloodstream, where they trigger an insulin response.

Fiber and resistant starches are not all converted into glucose in the bloodstream.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-science-of-nutrition-is-a-carb-a-carb.html
    "Take Home Messages

* For your body composition, it doesn’t matter if a carb is classified as simple or complex or if it has a high or low glycemic or insulin load or index. Only the total amount of carbs in your diet matters and this only matters because carbs contain calories.
    * For your health, the source of carbs is only relevant if you’re unhealthy. If you’re already healthy, it generally doesn’t matter."
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Oh look, another one of these.

BRO-TRAIN INCOMING
  • Need2Exerc1se
    "Take Home Messages

* For your body composition, it doesn’t matter if a carb is classified as simple or complex or if it has a high or low glycemic or insulin load or index. Only the total amount of carbs in your diet matters and this only matters because carbs contain calories.
    * For your health, the source of carbs is only relevant if you’re unhealthy. If you’re already healthy, it generally doesn’t matter."

So, this site thinks fiber does't matter at all?
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    We all know you need fiber, it's a given.

Why are you making this whole thread complicated with your bro-science, bruh? Srs.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    "Take Home Messages

Unless you've got poop problems - no, fibre doesn't matter that much. Besides most people consume more than they actually need anyway!

Also for health the source of the food always matters, whether you are healthy or not!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Carbs are carbs. They are not bad or good.
    The body processes all carbs the same way.
    And yet some cause a significant rise in blood sugar, and some don't. Some are nutrient dense, some are not.
    Some have lots of good fiber, some do not.
    Call em good and bad, whatever you'd like, there's GOOD reason to eat more of some and less of some.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    "Take Home Messages

Unless you've got poop problems - no, fibre doesn't matter that much. Besides most people consume more than they actually need anyway!

Fiber does more than solve poop problems, but that kind of seems like your saying fiber doesn't matter unless you aren't getting enough.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    We all know you need fiber, it's a given.

Why are you making this whole thread complicated with your bro-science, bruh? Srs.

I don't know who you are talking to, or what bro-science or bruh means, but isn't the whole thread already about fiber? Isn't that the difference between good carbs and bad carbs?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    And yet some cause a significant rise in blood sugar, and some don't. Some are nutrient dense, some are not.
    Call em good and bad, whatever you'd like, there's GOOD reason to eat more of some and less of some.

I think the blood sugar thing, especially when people focus on GI, and not actual experiences, is overrated, especially for healthy people. It's rare that people eat just carbs or even mostly carbs in the context of a meal. IME, eating a bagel on it's own will lead to perceivable effects of an increase and decrease in blood sugar (at least I assume that's what causes the high and low effect), but eating a sandwich with fat and protein on a bagel would not cause that effect at all. (Personally, I still wouldn't, as neither the pleasure nor slight nutrient value of the refined flour bagel (or even a whole wheat bagel) is likely to be sufficient for me, based on my personal tastes, to outweigh other possible uses of the calories, but if someone else has different preferences, blood sugar isn't really the issue if they incorporate the food sensibly within their overall diet.)

I also suppose that this might well be different if someone has more problems regulating blood sugar, like IR or diabetes.

Agree, obviously, that carbs differ with respect to nutrition and fiber.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member

I think the blood sugar thing, especially when people focus on GI, and not actual experiences, is overrated, especially for healthy people. It's rare that people eat just carbs or even mostly carbs in the context of a meal. IME, eating a bagel on it's own will lead to perceivable effects of an increase and decrease in blood sugar (at least I assume that's what causes the high and low effect), but eating a sandwich with fat and protein on a bagel would not cause that effect at all. (Personally, I still wouldn't, as neither the pleasure nor slight nutrient value of the refined flour bagel (or even a whole wheat bagel) is likely to be sufficient for me, based on my personal tastes, to outweigh other possible uses of the calories, but if someone else has different preferences, blood sugar isn't really the issue if they incorporate the food sensibly within their overall diet.)

I also suppose that this might well be different if someone has more problems regulating blood sugar, like IR or diabetes.

I absolutely agree bread alone is more "rushy" than bread with something blunting it like cheese or oil or PB. For me, I know, heavily refined carbs (donuts, pastries etc) often lead to the desire to eat more than I normally do...so I consider that as well.

It just isn't worth it to me these days to eat heavily refined carbs. Does that make them "bad"? Bad for my own personal diet, yes.
    Do I call them "bad"? No, they are just on the list of things I eat VERY rarely.
    Life's too short to eat crappy carbs. :happy:
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Is there a way to differentiate between good and bad carbs in the food diary?

I am trying this "low carb" thing on my doctors advice....and I like it so far...but I sometimes go over on carbs when eating low carb approved foods, so I am assuming they are good carbs....right?
    Good carbs have a Halo and bad ones a flaming Pitchfork
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,009 Member

I am trying this "low carb" thing on my doctors advice....and I like it so far...but I sometimes go over on carbs when eating low carb approved foods, so I am assuming they are good carbs....right?

Depends on what it is ... if it's all fruit and veggies I wouldn't sweat it... I go over my carbs on the daily but they all come from fruit and veggies and nothing else.

This precisely. Not other discussion, bro-science or otherwise, is necessary.

Your diet should look like this carb-wise:
    Most carbs: veggies
    Some carbs: fruits
    Sparingly: grains and starches

Some low-carb, but not "low-low-carb" do the net carbs thing. It motivates you to choose higher fiber options. Which indirectly often helps your calorie count and helps you choose the more nutrient dense foods. Win/win.

I wouldn't worry about all the Glycemic Index arguments unless you either have blood sugar probs or need inspiration for additions to your "good carb" list.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member

Depends on what it is ... if it's all fruit and veggies I wouldn't sweat it... I go over my carbs on the daily but they all come from fruit and veggies and nothing else.

Some low-carb, but not "low-low-carb" do the net carbs thing. It motivates you to choose higher fiber options. Which indirectly often helps your calorie count and helps you choose the more nutrient dense foods. Win/win.

I wouldn't worry about all the Glycemic Index arguments unless you either have blood sugar probs or need inspiration for additions to your "good carb" list.
    The Blue Zone populations eat a lot of starches and grains. They live longer and healthier than any other populations in the world.
  • baconslave

I absolutely agree bread alone is more "rushy" than bread with something blunting it like cheese or oil or PB. For me, I know, heavily refined carbs (donuts, pastries etc) often lead to the desire to eat more than I normally do...so I consider that as well.

It just isn't worth it to me these days to eat heavily refined carbs. Does that make them "bad"? Bad for my own personal diet, yes.
    Do I call them "bad"? No, they are just on the list of things I eat VERY rarely.
    Life's too short to eat crappy carbs. :happy:

Yes. Agree.

I've found that different carbs affect people differently. When I had gestational diabetes during my last pregnancy (that crap's gone now), I found my blood sugar was fine with normal servings of pasta. Potatoes, rice and bread sent it up big-time. Other people I know can't do pasta, and it has the same effect on their blood sugar as bread did on mine. So the glycemic index isn't as cut-and -dried as they would like to insinuate, but it is still a good general guideline.

And I agree, eating certain kinds of carbs alone, or in combination with other kinds of foods, is absorbed differently.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member

In your opinion.
  • baconslave

In your opinion.

Pretty sure that 99% of every reply on this entire forum is someone or other's opinion. Or contains a link to someone's opinion. Just like it appears that your comment is suggesting that it is your opinion that my opinion isn't valid. Unless you are an expert of some kind...:huh:

And we all know what they say about opinions...

That aside, I think that if we are considering the OP's question which was about lowering carbohydrate intake, we don't need to go off on a discussion of every aspect under the sun of low-carbing, insulin resistance, or the good-carb/bad-carb argument. Some things, though good information, are irrelevant to the posed question. :smile:

But obviously that is just an opinion. :wink:
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member

In your opinion.

Pretty sure that 99% of every reply on this entire forum is someone or other's opinion. Or contains a link to someone's opinion. Just like it appears that your comment is suggesting that it is your opinion that my opinion isn't valid. Unless you are an expert of some kind...:huh:

That aside, I think that if we are considering the OP's question which was about lowering carbohydrate intake, we don't need to go off on a discussion of every aspect under the sun of low-carbing, insulin resistance, or the good-carb/bad-carb argument. Some things, though good information, are irrelevant to the posed question. :smile:

Actually, the OP was interested in differentiating between good carbs and bad carbs so I'm not sure why there wouldn't be a good carb/bad carb discussion.
  • baconslave

In your opinion.

Actually, the OP was interested in differentiating between good carbs and bad carbs so I'm not sure why there wouldn't be a good carb/bad carb discussion.

My opinion, as you correctly identified it, was based upon the post I quoted, indicating that veggies and fruit are what OP should be concerned with. I was just saying that it isn't necessary to get mired in the discussion. The quick and dirty is that what are considered "good carbs" are primarily: veggies and fruits. And a little grains. I was opting for the quick answer to what OP wanted to know. I apologize if I was not clear.

Edit: Also, you forgot to add the rest of the post of mine that you quoted, which is this:

• Need2Exerc1se

In your opinion.

My opinion, as you correctly identified it, was based upon the post I quoted, indicating that veggies and fruit are what OP should be concerned with. I was just saying that it isn't necessary to get mired in the discussion. The quick and dirty is that what are considered "good carbs" are primarily: veggies and fruits. And a little grains. I was opting for the quick answer to what OP wanted to know. I apologize if I was not clear.

Who doesn't consider whole grains are good carbs? I'm talking medical or nutrition experts here, not just random personal opinions.