Has anyone done GOMAD? (Gallon of Milk a Day)

Options
124»

Replies

• KingRat79
    KingRat79 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    this a bit of a blast from the past! I did this when I was a teenager when I first started lifting in the 90's, it worked for me at the time and I didn't have any particular problems , I wouldn't want to do it now, there are just lots of much better ways of gaining calories and meeting your macro's.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I literally feel nausea just thinking about it. :sick:

Eat a gallon of ice cream a day. I could do that.
  • KandGRanch
    KandGRanch Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    When my goats start milking, ill likely be drinking about that, lmao.

I quite fancy a milking goat, I just know that getting up to milk it every day would become annoying in the extreme after a while.

What are those? Anglo-Nubians?
    If you leave the kids with her, you aren't AS"married" to milking :)
    And yes, she is a Nubian. I also have a myotonic, a LaMancha, and one Boer. Hoping for some mighty meaty babies soon.
  • KandGRanch
    KandGRanch Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Also want to add my husband has a metabolic disorder that causes him to be a REAL hardgainer (Read:he is 135 soaking wet, no matter what)

He was using weight gainer shakes in whole milk twice a day in addition to his regular meals and if I recall he ended up gaining 10lbs in the course of six or seven months. It was a lot for him.
    As the spouse of a GOMAD man, get used to having the flaming poops. Also get used to accidentally dutch-ovening yourself in bed.
    If you have a signifigant other, this will test whether or not you should ever consider them The One.
  • Squatch3099
    Squatch3099 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Sounds strange. Try protein powder, whey or soy. Increase your calories and exercise. Gallon of milk a day is just another strange gimmick.

Good Luck to you.
  • Squatch3099
    Squatch3099 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I literally feel nausea just thinking about it. :sick:

Eat a gallon of ice cream a day. I could do that.

Too Funny!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Why are people saying it's expensive?

A gallon of milk is what, $5?

It has 2400 calories, with a P/F/C breakdown of 128/128/192

1.5lbs of ground beef & 1 cup (dry) of rice has 2380 calories with a P/F/C breakdown of 130/138/148

... this would cost like $6 right?
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    My younger brother (about 5'10, weighs maybe 5 pounds more than me and I am not a heavy woman.) drinks about half a gallon a day on his own plus 3 large meals and snacks throughout the day and, so far, hasn't gained any weight in the past 2 1/2 months of doing so. He'll be moving up his milk intake (he's tired of food, milk is much easier to get down) once he gets his after school job stabilized (what with school just starting up again and practice for whichever sport is in season starting)

It's expensive so my mom is making him buy his own milk, lol.

As far as I know he isn't peeing out his butt or killing anyone with his farts, nor has he died of the sugarz or fatz or anything like that. He has reported that his fingernails are growing crazy fast and that he feels stronger in the gym but...you know. He's 18 and started serious lifting over the summer, so that's probably just teenage boy actually putting forth effort strength gains more so than the milk.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

1.5lbs of ground beef & 1 cup (dry) of rice has 2380 calories with a P/F/C breakdown of 130/138/148

Gallon of milk is like $2 unless you shop at Whole Foods or Trader Joes.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    So the point stands, ya?

I am not sure why people are focused on the expense part.

GOMAD is a bulking strategy. Of *course* consuming 4500 calories is going to cost more than consuming 2000 calories.

*shrug*
  • usmcmp
    Options
    So the point stands, ya?

I am not sure why people are focused on the expense part.

GOMAD is a bulking strategy. Of *course* consuming 4500 calories is going to cost more than consuming 2000 calories.

*shrug*

I don't understand all this drama. Kid says he can't gain. People tell him to eat more and drinking milk is an easy way to do that.

One of the major points people tell others when losing weight is to NOT drink their calories, so the opposite is true of someone trying to gain weight.

Obviously a person who is sensitive to milk wouldn't come on here talking about drinking a gallon of milk every day.

*shrug*
  • usmcmp
    Options
    is this actually a good idea

Depending on the person and the goals it isn't a bad idea.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    is this actually a good idea

It can be. Like I said my brother is on his way to a gallon a day, but he's the ideal sort (young, male, newbie, skinny, high activity level.) For someone else it's an awful idea.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    This sounds awful.
  • DayByDayGetStronger
    Options
    That's a buttload of calcium my friend. We're talking 4400mg and your body only needs about 1000mg per day. Have you ever heard of kidney stones?? Have you ever felt the misery of a kidney stone??

Your friendly dietitian
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Two and change for a half gallon in Jersey. But seriously, not that expensive when you're trying to gain and really it's a fairly completely food- coupled with some cereal- you can get a pretty good macro split with it.

It's a great TOOL.

emphasis on TOOL- meaning something you can use for the right situation.

Seriously none bulking people- WHY is this so hard.... WHY IS THE INTERNET SO HARD TODAY!!!!!

(gigity jokes to follow)
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options

Milk here runs about 2.89$(on sale or maybe Walmart, which I avoid) to about 3.69$ for regular old non "organic" milk.
  • adoptahippo
    Options
    You've got to build up to it so that your stomach can adjust. Fat-free milk is a great source of protein and calories.
    Really helps with macronutrient ratios.

The amount of milk also depends on your TDEE. Kidney stones can be fun, but I wouldn't recommend them.
    I need 125% (STD 200 cal. diet) of Calcium so a quart a day works great for me.